Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
you got to think of some way to make him think it's his idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

you got to think of some way to make him think it's his idea

"All my smartest friends love getting beat up! Would really respect anyone who was brave enough to choose to do that....just saying..."

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This looks like a good deal for the number of bathrooms. Almost TOO good. What's the catch?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's a bug caused by the website using an unsigned 16-bit integer for the number of bathrooms. That house actually has -196 bathrooms. HTH!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

smoobles posted:

This looks like a good deal for the number of bathrooms. Almost TOO good. What's the catch?

That's them just counting all of the places they found mouse poo poo.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was going to say “cats pissed,” but YMMV

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The tunneled shitters under the house.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

My house was built in the late 60s and still has a couple of the original wooden windows in it. About 50% of the glazing has fallen off them and the rest is in pretty bad shape. Also, there are no metal glazing points holding the glass in. I'm planning on chipping out the rest of the glazing and adding some metal points. I don't have any glazing putty, but I do have plenty of DAP Dynaflex 230 caulk. If the metal points are holding the glass in place, is there any good reason I can't seal it with dynaflex instead of traditional glazing putty?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Progress: the septic experts will be bringing the county inspector by later this month for a visual demonstration of "This site is completely hosed".

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I've used latex sealant in place of glaze before in a pinch. It can shrink more than glaze and I find it more difficult to get a good bead/bevel, but that last part might just be a skill issue on my end. Just don't use silicone, which (in my experience) is a goddamn pain in the rear end to remove without damaging the wood.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Skunkduster posted:

My house was built in the late 60s and still has a couple of the original wooden windows in it. About 50% of the glazing has fallen off them and the rest is in pretty bad shape. Also, there are no metal glazing points holding the glass in. I'm planning on chipping out the rest of the glazing and adding some metal points. I don't have any glazing putty, but I do have plenty of DAP Dynaflex 230 caulk. If the metal points are holding the glass in place, is there any good reason I can't seal it with dynaflex instead of traditional glazing putty?

You would be loving your future self or the next owner when it needs to be worked on next time.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Good points. It is a silicone sealant, but I figure by the time it comes to repair it again, I'll just replace the whole window. Thanks!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Skunkduster posted:

My neighbor swore by using caulk. I say unless you can guarantee that you won't have to replace that glass, ever, then get DAP glazing putty and a 4" knife & do it right. You should paint it after it cures, which may take a week or so.

All of the windows that were installed when my house was built in 1931 are still here and are restored to full function.

edit: beaten like my hands after hours of prying silicone caulk out of a sash

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I pulled all of the old building permits for my house and you are correct! The house, built in 1911, once had a steam boiler. Now these pipes just run standard radiators, and some of my water lines as well.

I replaced the boiler as part of my larger renovation project as well, but the plumbers recommended leaving all of this piping in seeings how I had no plans to ever finish the basement and didnt need the head space. It wouldve also involved a lot of time and money.

If you insulate those pipes will that affect the basement temperature? Just thinking if the basement gets colder because of this, do you need to consider alternatives to keep it warmer so it doesn't get too cold and damp and cause issues with mold? I assume this is a basement anyway.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Skunkduster posted:

You are making them harder to maintain in the future and the caulk may hold moisture against the wood in a way that glazing wouldn't.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Danhenge posted:

making them harder      future    cock       moisture      wood       glazing    .

heheheh

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bathroom fan brand recs?

I think I remember hearing Broan is good, and I'm in the market for a new one.

Edit: also, anything to look out for regarding a timed fan switch? Just wanna make sure that still works with my new fan.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 11, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

If you insulate those pipes will that affect the basement temperature? Just thinking if the basement gets colder because of this, do you need to consider alternatives to keep it warmer so it doesn't get too cold and damp and cause issues with mold? I assume this is a basement anyway.

It might slightly but not enough to worry about. I'll have to put a thermometer down there and measure before and after. My guess is that it will only be a 1-2F difference. Im lucky in that I have poured 12 inch thick concrete foundation walls so that definitely helps a lot as well.

The whole idea according to the guy who came out and did my home energy audit last year, (who was awesome, I seriously lucked out and feel like I got the best guy on earth, he's super into his job, ridiculously detailed and genuinely passionate about this, gave me a ton of advice and time), is that you want to retain as much heat as you can going into your radiators and not bleeding out the pipes. Even the cold water pipes can be insulated with the same idea, youre keeping the return water a bit warmer and/or warming it up on its way in.

This is one of the last things i'm doing as part of the project, WAY down the list on bang to buck ratio.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

For anybody who has used a wet tile saw: how much of a mess do they make? Going to be doing a kitchen backsplash soon and it is winter in Michigan. Is this a "just wear a smock and you'll be fine" situation, a "put up some plastic sheeting in the basement to contain the spray" situation, or a "wait for spring, do it outdoors" job?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sirotan posted:

For anybody who has used a wet tile saw: how much of a mess do they make? Going to be doing a kitchen backsplash soon and it is winter in Michigan. Is this a "just wear a smock and you'll be fine" situation, a "put up some plastic sheeting in the basement to contain the spray" situation, or a "wait for spring, do it outdoors" job?

Not very much at all, I got some on my hands or whatever but it's not throwing it around.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

VelociBacon posted:

Not very much at all, I got some on my hands or whatever but it's not throwing it around.

Perfect. My mom is giving me her saw she bought years ago to do one single job, and was going on and on about how I needed to make sure to buy a waterproof smock so I was envisioning water just going everywhere.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Johnny Truant posted:

Bathroom fan brand recs?

Edit: also, anything to look out for regarding a timed fan switch? Just wanna make sure that still works with my new fan.

Panasonic is my go to. I put one in and immediately put a second one it because it was so smooth and quiet.

Sirotan posted:

Depends on the saw design I'd say, the blade does throw a rooster tail of water off the back. The mudflap helps. I did it in the garage and had to sweep up a lot of dried clay and wipe down some stuff. Plus you have wet dripping tiles to deal with, so get some towels ready. The scrap tile ended up making more of a mess because I was just leaning it up wet to dry if it was big enough to use, so there was some puddles.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

StormDrain posted:

Panasonic is my go to. I put one in and immediately put a second one it because it was so smooth and quiet.

This. Very happy with the one I put into the downstairs bathroom. The mounting solution is really good.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Bathroom fan brand recs?

Panasonic, just be aware there are different styles.
I had the one that wanted constant power, and then used DC to speed up and slow down depending if you were in the room pooping or not
also it knew the airflow, so would speed up if you had a crappy corrugated pipe and be noisey.

I just installed a through wall fan, and its just a simple on/off control (so your timer will work fine with it).

When i replaced one of my old builder grade fans in the powder room, i had to swap the base too - which meant cutting the drywall since it was on the lower floor.
Depending on your work you want to do, you might just be trying to find a new one of what you have, and swap the guts.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
We're building a new home and our termite home evaluator came out and said that the cement blocks behind the vents would block airflow in the crawl space of the house.

The blocks are turned on their side to have the solid portion on top and bottom and the hollow portion in line with the vent. The vents are on the top layer of the block foundation. Should this have been done differently?

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 12, 2024

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check your local regulations.

For most areas, the internet says...
The minimum net area of ventilation openings shall be not less than 1 square foot for each 150 square feet of under-floor area

and companies selling vents say...
Generally, Automatic Foundation Vents have 50 inches of net free area per vent. Therefore, install one vent for every 50 square feet of crawlspace.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The sideways blocks are a little weird. Probably won’t affect a whole lot but it seems unnecessary. Might be why there are so many vents. I can’t tell how big the house is but it looks like a lot. Our 1600 square foot house has 2 on each side.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 12, 2024

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

The sideways blocks are a little weird. Probably won’t affect a whole lot but it seems unnecessary. Might be why there are so many vents. I can’t tell how big the house is but it looks like a lot. Our 1600 square foot house has 2 on each side.

It's only 1200 sqft edge to edge. 30x40

So it should have enough ventilation.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Hey goons, I just had an aggravating experience I thought might amuse the thread. In March 2023 I bought a Midea duo portable AC unit. I got it because I live in Seattle and some summers it gets hot enough to warrant using AC. The Midea was well reviewed. I got the unit with heating capability because it was a few bucks cheaper and I thought it would be good to have the heating combined with a fan during cold snaps. It could blow hot air around the room. So here we are in January. It's in the 20s, which is extremely cold for Seattle. I set up the Midea last night. I hooked the intake/exhaust hose up to the window. But the unit wouldn't work as a heater. It would run for a few minutes then just stop the fans. It didn't throw any error codes or anything. I read the manual and searched online. I didn't see anything that looked like my problem- some people said the fan motor broke, but mine was working, just not for very long. I called support this morning. After a few minutes talking to customer support the nice lady told me that the 41-86 heating operating temperature listed in the manual was a hard limit. When the intake air is below 41 degrees the expected behavior of the unit is to just stop. Because the heat pump won't operate to heat air colder than that.

I had read the owners manual and saw that range listed. I just couldn't conceive of something being sold as a heater when it can't operate with exterior temperatures below 41 degrees. I'm not too upset because I bought it to be an AC and I've got adequate heat without it. I'm more bemused by the idea of them listing this thing as if it has any real utility as a heater. I also need to check if the 95 degree upper limit for cooling is also a hard stop for the unit, because if that's the case then it's worthless as an AC unit. Hope not! haha

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
For the heater, you could make it work by pulling air from inside. It's not optimal but I was successful in my garage (it still vented the exhaust outside).

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I thought of that. The thing is it has the exhaust and intake in one hose which is very oddly shaped. It would take a bit of work to create a set up to split the intake and exhaust so it could draw from inside and exhaust outside. I'm sure it's been done but I'm not at that point yet

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah, I thought of that. The thing is it has the exhaust and intake in one hose which is very oddly shaped. It would take a bit of work to create a set up to split the intake and exhaust so it could draw from inside and exhaust outside. I'm sure it's been done but I'm not at that point yet

Not sure what the size of the hose is, but could you stick a dryer vent hose inside of the exhaust portion(by bending it the dryer hose) to make it still exhaust outside?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I am looking for bids again on getting my old attic insulation removed and replaced with fresh stuff (that doesn't have any rat or racoon poop in it).

Matt Rissinger had an updated video of his "Insulation 2.0" stuff involving air-sealing attic-to-living space penetrations and doing a blower door test, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nOI99ew5MM

Since I live in Austin, I got another bid from these guys: for 1650 square ft, they quoted me over $8500.

At that price I'm tempted to just try doing the air sealing portion myself and hiring out the vacuum and new insulation to a cheaper company. I'm not sure I really care about a blower door test, unless there are significant local and federal rebates for doing that.

Rissinger has a link to the spray foam gun/kit for sealing the attic penetrations, and also included a link for the can light covers.

I found a reddit post where a guy said he had similar work done for $4k. I could probably stomach that cost, but everything seems more expensive in Austin these days. I'm going to try to get other bids, but I'm curious if anyone else has done this, and what they paid for it.

Lastly, following the two winter storms we've had where we lost power, I'm wondering to what level I should get our insulation up to. I see some people saying R38, some say R-49. Our current attic insulation is very poor.

In 2021 the outside temps reached single digits, and since we had no power, the inside temps dropped to the low 50s, I think. In 2023, we had an ice storm where we lost power for several days, and I think our temps in the house again dropped down to the 50s.

Edit: Forgot to include the reddit link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeowners/comments/sbmmgy/make_sure_your_insulation_is_up_to_par_got_my/

""OP posted:

I have a small ranch, 1200 sq feet. It cost me 4k to remove the old insulation, vacuum and disinfect, seal up all holes and install new insulation. Job was done in one day. Got quotes from about 5 different companies, this was the best price.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 12, 2024

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

a generator is cheaper than all of that stuff and will keep your house far warmer than 50° lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

Hey goons, I just had an aggravating experience I thought might amuse the thread. In March 2023 I bought a Midea duo portable AC unit.

I had read the owners manual and saw that range listed. I just couldn't conceive of something being sold as a heater when it can't operate with exterior temperatures below 41 degrees.

You bought a heat pump. Somewhere in the specs and such when you bought it was the temperature range it works through. Sorry. Try to sell it when it warms up. Now you know.

They make heat pumps that work in ultra low temps but I doubt a window unit will hit 20f at any kind of useful rate of heating.

MetaJew posted:

I am looking for bids again on getting my old attic insulation removed and replaced with fresh stuff (that doesn't have any rat or racoon poop in it).

Matt Rissinger had an updated video of his "Insulation 2.0" stuff involving air-sealing attic-to-living space penetrations and doing a blower door test, etc.

Don't blow in fiberglass. What fresh hell would that be to need to do anything in your attic with it there. Anyone who suggests it should be laughed out the door. Cellulose is the only thing you should be loose filling something with.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

H110Hawk posted:

Don't blow in fiberglass. What fresh hell would that be to need to do anything in your attic with it there. Anyone who suggests it should be laughed out the door. Cellulose is the only thing you should be loose filling something with.

Yikes, didn't realize that was fiberglass. I had assumed modern stuff was all cellulose. I'm sure I could sub that in any bid I get, but thanks for reminding me.

right arm posted:

a generator is cheaper than all of that stuff and will keep your house far warmer than 50° lol

I mean, yes, that's partly true, but I would need to still put an interlock into my panel in order to power the house with a generator, and I would need to store gasoline at home and maintain said generator. I'm not aware of any ethanol free gasoline stations near me, and even non-ethanol gas eventually goes bad.

Ultimately I would like to get solar + battery backups, but that's a few promotions or a lottery ticket away at the moment.

REGARDLESS, my insulation is compacted fiberglass stuff from 1991, that is maybe 6 inches deep. So, it's insufficient either way and needs to be replaced.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 12, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Yikes, didn't realize that was fiberglass. I had assumed modern stuff was all cellulose. I'm sure I could sub that in any bid I get, but thanks for reminding me.

Maybe I'm wrong but without pulling the spec sheet "propink l77 fiberglas-with-one-s" I'm betting isn't cellulose. :v:

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

SlayVus posted:

Not sure what the size of the hose is, but could you stick a dryer vent hose inside of the exhaust portion(by bending it the dryer hose) to make it still exhaust outside?

If it is the same as the Midea I have from Costco, that's what I did. The exhaust is a round tube in the bigger odd-shaped tube. I used some duct tape to seal it and attached it to a dry duct tubing (it is the same diameter as the dry duct).

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MetaJew posted:

I mean, yes, that's partly true, but I would need to still put an interlock into my panel in order to power the house with a generator, and I would need to store gasoline at home and maintain said generator. I'm not aware of any ethanol free gasoline stations near me, and even non-ethanol gas eventually goes bad.

an interlock is like $70 max and can be installed with a drill & a screwdriver. being as you’re in austin I’d imagine you have ng so just get a trifuel portable generator (like me :D) and you’re golden. I personally wouldn’t want to deal with a gasoline generator either, but propane is an option even if you don’t have ng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Attic insulation will help keep your house cooler in the summer too. According to my home energy audit guy that's the #1 bang for the buck improvement you can do in most cases.

Well worth doing.