Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

scary ghost dog posted:

this manga is terribly translated and rhe art is frequently impossible to parse as well. frankly if you want to fully understand whats happening in it youre better off waiting for the anime and learning japanese

Very funny because the anime adaptation of this scene is even worse lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

You can literally look at the loving panel and tell she tried to guard lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Dropped your guard" does not mean "you completely forgot to do anything defensive." It meant that you were not prepared because you underestimated/made a mistake.

Like Nobara's death scene is depressing but fine as written if that is the intent. The biggest writing flaw isn't in her death but the "I can see her parachute" afterwards.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Because "two dudes and the girl" is a shounen Sacred Cow.

Also

I don't hold high hopes for Megumi, either.

As has been pointed out like a dozen times at this point, that scene contains no actual confirmation in any form. Yuji makes an inference from Megumi's silence. It is possible it is correct or it is possible Megumi had a reason for not confirming/denying it overtly. It's one of the reasons the whole thing is weird because it gets danced around.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

need nobaras curse to come up and kill some Sukunas

also Gojo as a cursed tool

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

"Dropped your guard" does not mean "you completely forgot to do anything defensive." It meant that you were not prepared because you underestimated/made a mistake.

She's in a life and death fight and she is now "not prepared" to dodge a slap to the face? Her mistake was thinking she could get slapped in the face and live. Which is stupid when a guy has knives for hands. When she rounds the corner Mahito is 20 feet away from her and the next main panel is her staring like an idiot with Mahito's hand in her face. I completely understand everyones angle on this and thinking Gege drew it up and plotted it out well. I simply disagree.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ImpAtom posted:

As has been pointed out like a dozen times at this point, that scene contains no actual confirmation in any form. Yuji makes an inference from Megumi's silence. It is possible it is correct or it is possible Megumi had a reason for not confirming/denying it overtly. It's one of the reasons the whole thing is weird because it gets danced around.

That scene made my jaw drop when it was first released. Kugi came onto the scene at the same time as Yuji and they basically grew up in the Jujutsu world together until Shibuya.

So, that's it? Yuji just goes OH DRAT!!! and that's the end of that? We aren't going to address that any more? lol

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Nobara was cool and good, and not having her in the story is bad and lame. That's what it comes down to for me. Context fridging whatever, they had a good dynamic that Gege threw away for debatably shock value.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gojo's headband he uses to cover his eyes should be his cursed tool and all it does is allow him to talk to and annoy you.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
calling this a fridging bugs me because I think there's a world of difference between the original context of that term and what happened in jujutsu kaisen, a fun story about wizards and creatures hitting each other that was better when Nobara was around.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Jerkface posted:

Very funny because the anime adaptation of this scene is even worse lol
Just for fun here is the original japanese for this: 真人の掌への警戒を解いている

Mahito no tenohira e no keikai o hodoite iru

Which is she let go of her guard against mahito's palm - so the English translation here is fine. I think its ultimately a stupid way for Nobara to take hit from Mahito. Let her battle with his domain or something better than being surprised (?) Yuji is fighting and letting a guy run at her and slap her face.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Nobara jobbed super hard against the no-name twink that didn't even really have a CT, but what gets them mad is jobbing against certified instant-kill powerhouse Mahito.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nobara jobbed super hard against the no-name twink that didn't even really have a CT, but what gets them mad is jobbing against certified instant-kill powerhouse Mahito.

Also stupid but at least in the manga she got sucker punched but was back on her feet when Nanami arrived. She didn't get killed.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Asuron posted:

Don’t bother, that was made very clear, the narrator literally tells the reader exactly what you told them in the manga. That poster ain’t arguing in good faith.

I'm not arguing in bad faith, you just don't like my argument. You keep asserting that I'm ignoring the context when I'm clearly not.

Asuron posted:

I took a look back and they also said JJK was the worst shonen series in how it treats women, in a genre where Master Roshi exists and is a popular character character trope across most shonen series , so I don’t know if they’re trying to troll or what at this point.

Sexualizing your female cast is obviously very bad. I think slaughtering your female cast is worse.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Maybe Gege just wants to draw dudes but all these editorially-mandated womens keep getting in the way.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Like Nobara's death scene is depressing but fine as written if that is the intent. The biggest writing flaw isn't in her death but the "I can see her parachute" afterwards.

Nobara going to attack sukunas soul directly with the missing final finger and her soul resonance which is why they’re being so drat coy about her life or death status imo. Like, that won’t even be satisfying when it happens though because the end result was still Nobara being absent for half the drat story

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Just for fun here is the original japanese for this: 真人の掌への警戒を解いている

Mahito no tenohira e no keikai o hodoite iru

Which is she let go of her guard against mahito's palm - so the English translation here is fine. I think its ultimately a stupid way for Nobara to take hit from Mahito. Let her battle with his domain or something better than being surprised (?) Yuji is fighting and letting a guy run at her and slap her face.
That translation just solidifies that she wasn't on guard for Idle Transfiguration. But like I said she never truly dodged any of Clone Mahito's attacks and on top of that Clone Mahito was weaker so any wound was a grazing wound at best. She did try and block but like above her reaction was not fast enough to truly avoid contact so that's it. She didn't decide to let herself get hit for no reason she just didn't expect to have her face exploded.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Imagine being Gege Akutami and told by your editor to give Megumi, the dour main character that in 20 or so chapters you plan on killing off in a shocking but long-foreshadowed turn, a female love interest. What do you do?

Maybe that one "only wants to draw dudes" poster was onto something.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Brought To You By posted:

That translation just solidifies that she wasn't on guard for Idle Transfiguration. But like I said she never truly dodged any of Clone Mahito's attacks and on top of that Clone Mahito was weaker so any wound was a grazing wound at best. She did try and block but like above her reaction was not fast enough to truly avoid contact so that's it. She didn't decide to let herself get hit for no reason she just didn't expect to have her face exploded.

Honestly it kinda sounds like the issue here is more just word choice. If the narration box said she just wasn't prepared for idle transfiguration or just didn't have enough time to react it probably wouldn't come off as bad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly it kinda sounds like the issue here is more just word choice. If the narration box said she just wasn't prepared for idle transfiguration or just didn't have enough time to react it probably wouldn't come off as bad.

I agree, it's a poor text box. The surrounding context is why I also am not up in arms but it does read much worse in the Viz translation if focused on in isolation.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

King of Solomon posted:

If it said something like bolded yea, that would be much easier to swallow even if I'd still hate the outcome. However I don't think the word choice is bad, it matches the intent of the japanese. The full japanese says the same as the english translation. Due to the body switch and the previous battle, she let her guard down for Mahito's hands. Maybe it would have been better as "due to the confusion of the body swap, and the fatigue from battle, Nobara couldn't react in time to Mahito's attack" but the Japanese and English are both saying she specifically let her guard down about his hands/palms.

Gotcha makes sense!!
\//\

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 11, 2024

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jerkface posted:

If it said something like bolded yea, that would be much easier to swallow even if I'd still hate the outcome. However I don't think the word choice is bad, it matches the intent of the japanese. The full japanese says the same as the english translation. Due to the body switch and the previous battle, she let her guard down for Mahito's hands. Maybe it would have been better as "due to the confusion of the body swap, and the fatigue from battle, Nobara couldn't react in time to Mahito's attack" but the Japanese and English are both saying she specifically let her guard down about his hands/palms.

I'm with you here, I'm saying that Gege should have worded it differently. The translation seems pretty accurate to the Japanese based on what you posted.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

a lot of people gonna feel silly when, in yujis darkest hour, a box gets wheeled out from seemingly nowhere. Gojo opens it to reveal todo and nobara, who proceed to support yuji in his five chapter beatdown of sukuna (true form (20 fingers))

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing is that my actual problem with the Nobara thing is that even if she shows up out of nowhere to own Sukuna and it's cool, I kinda would've preferred having her around for 2+ years of manga bouncing off the rest of the cast even if that meant losing the return moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, honestly, like if she comes back for a cool moment that's nice but we're at the absolute rear end end of the story now, I'm not sure what she could do besides maybe offer Yuji someone to talk to who isn't Megumi's drooling vegetable psuedocorpse.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

For what it’s worth I don’t like that Nobara was taken out. She was a very fun character. I just don’t think there’s really a problem with how she was taken out and it’s used as a silly cudgel by the most obnoxious posters against the series which is still an excellent series.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Asuron posted:

Uhhhh sure if you ignore the surrounding context of her realising she was fighting a clone, that she didn’t see the switch because Mahito deliberately blocked her view of the clone with his body, which works because of the tight space and that she just rounded the corner

Yes as the writer Gege can make everything make sense but it's still an incredibly lame way for a character to go out. Beyond the shock value of her death, there's nothing interesting about it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

RevolverDivider posted:

For what it’s worth I don’t like that Nobara was taken out. She was a very fun character. I just don’t think there’s really a problem with how she was taken out and it’s used as a silly cudgel by the most obnoxious posters against the series which is still an excellent series.

The problem has become with its lingering non conclusion. In a vacuum its not inherently awful, but the series refuses to provide closure on the topic. If she's alive why hasn't she reappeared? If she's dead why not just explicitly say so? It feels like the only outcome at this point is disappointment regardless of the answer he chooses to provide. If it was a definitive death instead of some pro wrasslin kayfabe shelving maybe (is it a shoot or a work WHO KNOWS) I think it would be considered a lot less negatively.

Her being killed by a dangerous foe isn't inherently awful, what the series has done with it is a lingering sore that Gege doesn't seem to want to heal/close. That even in the context of the moment it (as some posters want to argue) didn't make a lot of sense/was cheap doesn't help. Earned catharsis is what most stories aim to provide, it's not clear to me that can happen with this plot thread in JJK.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The thing is that my actual problem with the Nobara thing is that even if she shows up out of nowhere to own Sukuna and it's cool, I kinda would've preferred having her around for 2+ years of manga bouncing off the rest of the cast even if that meant losing the return moment.

I'm ready for Todo to show up and high five Inumaki while the latter screams [STOP] at Sukuna (and then his throat explodes into blood) while Nobara is boogie woogie'd into melee range of Sukuna so she can hit him with a voodoo curse. Useless Miwa can be here as well I don't know what she'd be doing but she is here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean I assume at this point there isn't going to be an real catharsis to JJK beyond the main bads going down and at least someone being left alive to pick up the shattered pieces of society. Yuji's probably going to die with Sukuna, Megumi is going to be somewhere between "absolutely loving wrecked' and 'literally braindead', Maki and Yuta might survive due to being the two biggest badasses in the setting currently, and almost everyone else in the cast is either dead or functionally so.

It's a series where I think the 'happiest' ending is Sukuna being so pissed off that Yuji was the one to finally end him.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I'm not arguing in bad faith, you just don't like my argument. You keep asserting that I'm ignoring the context when I'm clearly not.

Sexualizing your female cast is obviously very bad. I think slaughtering your female cast is worse.

This is not just sexualising the female underage cast ( which is already worse),they get literally sexually assaulted. As in groped by older men and having it played off for a laugh. MHA , a more recent manga, has that grape kid do the same to girls in his class and plays him off as a valuable character

Nobara having her face blown up and Yuki dying is not even a planet close to being as bad. Like I can’t believe this is a take you want to stand behind dude, yes sexualising underage girls and having them sexually assaulted is loving worse, I can’t believe I have to argue this.

You don’t have to like the decision about what happened with Yuki and Nobara, but when the genre as a whole is ripe with the sexual assault, you gotta start pulling your head in and realise it ain’t the worst in the genre at how it treats women or anywhere even close to it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh hey was there a new chapter

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fabricated posted:

Real talk, if Nobara hadn't died people would instead be whining about how she's become a non-character like Inumaki and Panda for how little she'd have been showing in the story.

People were already going on about that with Yuji, for fucks sake.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Asuron posted:

This is not just sexualising the female underage cast ( which is already worse),they get literally sexually assaulted. As in groped by older men and having it played off for a laugh. MHA , a more recent manga, has that grape kid do the same to girls in his class and plays him off as a valuable character

Nobara having her face blown up and Yuki dying is not even a planet close to being as bad. Like I can’t believe this is a take you want to stand behind dude, yes sexualising underage girls and having them sexually assaulted is loving worse, I can’t believe I have to argue this.

You don’t have to like the decision about what happened with Yuki and Nobara, but when the genre as a whole is ripe with the sexual assault, you gotta start pulling your head in and realise it ain’t the worst in the genre at how it treats women or anywhere even close to it.

It's not just Yuki and Nobara is the thing, I wouldn't be making the argument that the sexism in JJK is really bad if it was just those two, it's basically the entire female cast. A lot of the examples that I could point to are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things (like the random female character Geto killed before fighting Takaba), but there is a consistent trend of Gege introducing a female character, having her accomplish nothing, then killing her. It happens over and over again.

Like, the entire reason pretty much everyone is pinning their hopes on Maki doing something is because she's one of the only female characters left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean if Maki doesn't do something important then it will be genuinely bewildering writing. Her story arc stated in JJK0, she's been around longer than anyone else at this point, she's gotten multiple arcs dedicated just to her powering up and getting stronger, like... by all rights she is due to to do something loving incredible only she could do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

King of Solomon posted:

It's not just Yuki and Nobara is the thing, I wouldn't be making the argument that the sexism in JJK is really bad if it was just those two, it's basically the entire female cast. A lot of the examples that I could point to are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things (like the random female character Geto killed before fighting Takaba), but there is a consistent trend of Gege introducing a female character, having her accomplish nothing, then killing her. It happens over and over again.

Like, the entire reason pretty much everyone is pinning their hopes on Maki doing something is because she's one of the only female characters left.

This would hold more water if it didn't also happen to men consistently throughout the series as well.

loving Kashimo just goddamn happened. 3 pages ago people were rending garmets that it might be happening to lawyerman. This isn't an issue that is exclusive to how the author treats women it's how he treats his characters in general.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Megumi's sister was introduced in one of the very first chapters of JJK and was one of the main goals of the entire culling game arc and she just got killed, transformed into a completely different person, who was then also killed so she could become a magic stick for sukuna.

I thought that plot thread was really weird. So much of the CG plan was ultimately pointless. Rescue Gojo->insta dead, Rescue Tsumiki -> insta dead

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This would hold more water if it didn't also happen to men consistently throughout the series as well.

loving Kashimo just goddamn happened. 3 pages ago people were rending garmets that it might be happening to lawyerman. This isn't an issue that is exclusive to how the author treats women it's how he treats his characters in general.

If Kusakabe dies im rioting

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

A few.pages ago someone was complaining that puppet principle got killed off screen after doing nothing and panda has been entirely.sidelined. trying to frame this as a gender specific issue seems short sighted and like your ignoring a lot to make the argument.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A few.pages ago someone was complaining that puppet principle got killed off screen after doing nothing and panda has been entirely.sidelined. trying to frame this as a gender specific issue seems short sighted and like your ignoring a lot to make the argument.

I think they are part of the same problem (poor cast management/plotting) and one happening does not negate the other. Lots of dropped plot threads and weird resolutions, side lining characters, and mistreatment of the female cast.

The current fighting field vs Sukuna/Kenjaku was:

Takaba, Yuta
Gojo, , Kashimo, Higuruma, Hakari, Yuji, Ino, Kusakabe, Choso, & Mei Mei

There are 2 female teachers left on the good side that only do support stuff (healing and buffing), Miwa useless, Momo useless, Mei Mei contributed a crow?

If Maki comes in and suplexes Sukuna's soul after it gets separated from Megumi's body that'll be loving sick tho

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jerkface posted:

I think they are part of the same problem (poor cast management/plotting) and one happening does not negate the other. Lots of dropped plot threads and weird resolutions, side lining characters, and mistreatment of the female cast.

I think of the author is doing it to the entire cast its by definition not him being specifically lovely about the lady cast.