Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Would Leto II v2 have Leto II v1’s other memories and would they just be “goo goo ga ga”??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wouldn't the first Leto II be the true kwisatz haderach though in reality since he's the first son of the one-generation-too-early kwisatz haderach Paul? Like Paul is the "Whoops" and Leto II-1 is the actual "okay now we're back on course"

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Toxic Mental posted:

Wouldn't the first Leto II be the true kwisatz haderach though in reality since he's the first son of the one-generation-too-early kwisatz haderach Paul? Like Paul is the "Whoops" and Leto II-1 is the actual "okay now we're back on course"

Leto II-1 didn't have any lovely Feyd in him, so he still isn't what the BG had planned

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

excuse me what

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Feyd-Rautha, among many others, was one of the BG's breeding lines for the eventual Kwisatz Haderach. Jessica was supposed to have a girl instead of Paul so the Atreides and Harkonnen heirs could be wed and preserve both bloodlines for the project.

I also think the original Leto II could have been handled better but it also helped hammer in that there was no turning back for Paul. One final blow to make sure he would never turn back from the path of revenge and conquest until too late.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda the whole point is there's no actual predetermined cosmic destiny for the chosen one, it's just who ends up in the right position with the right mix of genes and training.

Even Harry Potter got that kind of thing with a prophecy worded that it could apply to at least two people, and it ended up a matter of choice which one was chosen.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kiimo posted:

It's a completely pointless plot point in my opinion
Arguably, it's the instigator for what causes Paul to not care about Jihading the universe under the Atreides banner - but it happens completely off-screen, almost as if Frank didn't have a lot of truck with processing emotions consciously.

This definitely isn't mirrored in his treatment of his gay son, either.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

you know I feel like that baby should have seen it comin

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The death of Paul's kid in the first book always did feel weirdly muted. I genuinely have to wonder how the movie will handle it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kiimo posted:

lmao

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

kiimo posted:

the baby had future sight but chose to headbutt a sardaukar blade rather than become the dickless worm goon with impervious skin of tErRiBlE pUrPoSe

the only correct decision in all six books, well done baby

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Baby: in my six months I've lived through the entirety of history's orgasms. It has taught me it is better to die than live the next 2500 dickless years.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

the baby had future sight but chose to headbutt a sardaukar blade rather than become the dickless worm goon with impervious skin of tErRiBlE pUrPoSe

the only correct decision in all six books, well done baby

the directors cut ending of butterfly effect except it's leto ii sticking himself with a sardaukar blade

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Are there ever any hints about what the alien life situation is like in the Dune universe? I know the sand trouts were introduced to Arrakis from another planet, but are they truly alien life forms or some hosed up bioengineered earth species from ancient pre-empire times?

Also, if sand trouts were brought over from another planet and eradicated on their original planet, there must be some records of another desert planet somewhere that used to have spice but turned green?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I've always felt that they're supposed to be the last lingering remnant of an ancient nonhuman civilization.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Probably bioengineered as a weapon by the same people who created xenomorphs. The worms were intended to burst from the chest but they mistakenly placed them on Arrakis and they quickly lost control as the species grew to impossible proportions and became self aware due to the spice. Acid mutated into water of life from the millennia of spice intake and eventually symbiotic where it became impossible to ascertain which came first the worm or the spice. The Fremen evolved to a similar relationship with their own poop

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Ridley you know you're not meant to be out unsupervised, let's get you back inside the sietch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Obviously made by the Precursors along with the Mycons.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Weren't some of the plants in the conservatory originally native to non-Earth planets? And in the appendices it talks about the Bible changing to mention subduing the beasts of other planets as well. So I thought the implication was that non-intelligent life was found on other planets, from the first book at least

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I appreciate the lack of non-human aliens in Dune honestly. I think it's kind of unique. Who needs aliens when humans are perfectly capable of evolving into bizarre poo poo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

please do not refer to desert mouse as non-intelligent <:mad:>

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 12, 2024

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

please do not refer to desert mouse as non-intelligent <:mad:>

smart enough to survive in the deep desert. most folks can't say as much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

kiimo posted:

I appreciate the lack of non-human aliens in Dune honestly. I think it's kind of unique. Who needs aliens when humans are perfectly capable of evolving into bizarre poo poo

It's not unique in sci fi, usually with stories that want to emphasise human elements without an 'other' to project on. See Gundam (mostly) and Red Dwarf, the latter of which even doubles down with humanity effectively long extinct and everything remaining in the universe being creations that outlived their creators.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Look, it's the Dyuun trailer cut for our friends from Nihon:japan:!
Some new footage, new poster as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUCl4t9_wE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I bought this set of 5 chirashi last summer. Haven't decided if I should frame it or not. Satisfied that Dune is anime.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Just read the Butlerian Jihad and now on The machine crusade. Second reading it from the prequels to the final. Love these prequels!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Piggy Smalls posted:

Just read the Butlerian Jihad and now on The machine crusade. Second reading it from the prequels to the final. Love these prequels!

*Mohiam voice* GET OUT

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Piggy Smalls posted:

The least shocking user/post combo this week

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Piggy Smalls posted:

You are about to find the art of kanly is still alive, dear cousin.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Baron Harkonnen looking extremely avatar-able

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

the thing must leave

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I gritted my teeth and tried to read some but as it was trash, I stopped and never mentioned it to a soul that I erred from the golden path. then again, I did not read much of the sequels either, I think I got into the stainless steel rat around then as well, much dumber maybe but much less intense

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i had to read the first prequel because my dad gave it to me as a gift and he also gave me my first copy of Dune back in the day.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Piggy Smalls posted:

I'm biting down on my poison tooth as hard as I can but nothing's happening

011224_5
Jan 13, 2024

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm biting down on my poison tooth as hard as I can but nothing's happening

ERROR

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Piggy Smalls posted:

that's cool. most people hate those books but I'm glad they made you smile

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'll take a goon water if he say the name @duneauthor

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

There's only one real rule and it's to not talk about two people and their Dreck.

Why does it get broken all the time ????

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Simple: The books don't exist.

If they don't exist, they cant hurt us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Simple: The books don't exist.

If they don't exist, they cant hurt us.

The Attitude of the Knife