Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also the phrase Let My Guard down still doesn't mean what you said it does so I don't want to talk about definitions and categorization with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also the phrase Let My Guard down still doesn't mean what you said it does so I don't want to talk about definitions and categorization with you.

Nah, mate, you're wrong. And your video game analogy was not even correct. If you're fully concentrating and get mixed up or get hit in a fighting game you did not "let your guard down". If you specifically relaxed and decided not to guard a specific move and get hit by it then you did ;)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Nah, mate, you're wrong. And your video game analogy was not even correct. If you're fully concentrating and get mixed up or get hit in a fighting game you did not "let your guard down". If you specifically relaxed and decided not to guard a specific move and get hit by it then you did ;)

I have multiple times heard "they let their guard down" or "they got caught with their guard down" during a mixup in fighting game streams.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

This would hold more water if it didn't also happen to men consistently throughout the series as well.

loving Kashimo just goddamn happened. 3 pages ago people were rending garmets that it might be happening to lawyerman. This isn't an issue that is exclusive to how the author treats women it's how he treats his characters in general.

I think it's a matter of scale and narrative impact. Gege kills a decent number of male characters, but there are still a ton of relevant male characters running around with big narrative impact. Takaba died, but he died setting Geto up to die by Yuta's hand. Higuruma is about to die, but he died handing off Judgeman's sword, which looks like it's about to hit Sukuna (granted, Sukuna might knock Yuji away and have that ultimately amount to nothing, but that doesn't seem like where the story is headed right now.) By contrast, pretty much none of the female characters have had any narrative impact at all and again, there are almost none of them left.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I have multiple times heard "they let their guard down" or "they got caught with their guard down" during a mixup in fighting game streams.

He decided to take the most specific and narrow definition of the phrase that doesn't fit the events. he doesn't care about accurate readings

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't that literally because guarding is a mechanic and if you're not guarding you can be hit? Also these are commentators trying to talk about the events where they are not privy to the actors thoughts. We're talking about a narrative with an omnipotent narrator telling us a character let their guard down about a specific type of thing.

In the boxing sense if you let your guard down you're not trying to block incoming hits and you're basically letting the opponent tag you? Isn't that what I have been saying here?

He decided to take the most specific and narrow definition of the phrase that doesn't fit the events. he doesn't care about accurate readings

The manga is very specific about what the character is letting their guard down about. I have very accurately read the scene. We have 2 interpretations of it even and the anime one is even more on my side of it being stupid.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

King of Solomon posted:

I think it's a matter of scale and narrative impact. Gege kills a decent number of male characters, but there are still a ton of relevant male characters running around with big narrative impact. Takaba died, but he died setting Geto up to die by Yuta's hand. Higuruma is about to die, but he died handing off Judgeman's sword, which looks like it's about to hit Sukuna (granted, Sukuna might knock Yuji away and have that ultimately amount to nothing, but that doesn't seem like where the story is headed right now.) By contrast, pretty much none of the female characters have had any narrative impact at all and again, there are almost none of them left.

Agree completely Gege's not meeting the diversity quota to avoid doing a sexism

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Takaba is alive, he was just cosplaying as a dead guy because he was fulfilled (takaba will never die)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Again, most of the guys left over don't have narrative weight they're here to stall and die or are entirely sidelined. Kashimo was upsold constantly for an entire arc and then hilariously got dunked on doing nothing and adding to the overall story. Mei mei and utahime are still around and pitching in even if they're way above their heads just like the rest of the team. Maki is still one of the few trump cards the crew has they're holding back in case the rest gently caress it up (They're going to).

I've got issues with how willing the author is to just write off characters and introduce people.that add very little but it's an issue with his writing at large and not specifically how he treats women.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Isn't that literally because guarding is a mechanic and if you're not guarding you can be hit? Also these are commentators trying to talk about the events where they are not privy to the actors thoughts. We're talking about a narrative with an omnipotent narrator telling us a character let their guard down about a specific type of thing.

In the boxing sense if you let your guard down you're not trying to block incoming hits and you're basically letting the opponent tag you? Isn't that what I have been saying here?

You're side stepping your original point in that Nobara willingly let herself get touched/hit because the phrase she used was "poo poo I let my guard down" which still is not what that sentence means technically nor in the implication you're trying to make with it. She failed in the same way Nanami did before and Todo did later in the fight, by failing to fully prepare for a an attack or trick and getting hurt for it. That doesn't mean she let herself die like you were saying earlier.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

You're side stepping your original point in that Nobara willingly let herself get touched/hit because the phrase she used was "poo poo I let my guard down" which still is not what that sentence means technically nor in the implication you're trying to make with it. She failed in the same way Nanami did before and Todo did later in the fight, by failing to fully prepare for a an attack or trick and getting hurt for it. That doesn't mean she let herself die like you were saying earlier.

She doesn't use the phrase. The Shibuya omnipotent manga narrator says she let her guard down due to the switch + her thinking its the clone. Which means she is not actively guarding against being touched. Which is BASICALLY letting him touch her. You guys have been so up your own asses because I said she let him slap her face, but the actual meaning of "let your guard down" refers to consciously making an effort to block vs not and is much closer to my flippant description of the scene than all of your guys arguing against me.

I said that the plotting makes sense, I just said its a stupid execution, she didn't let the clone do anything but a glancing blow in the previous fight. If someone fails to put their dukes up in a boxing match and gets hit in the face did they let the opponent hit them in the face? Think carefully about this one.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Maybe Nobara saw where things were going and wanted to check out early

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

She doesn't use the phrase. The Shibuya omnipotent manga narrator says she let her guard down due to the switch + her thinking its the clone. Which means she is not actively guarding against being touched. Which is BASICALLY letting him touch her. You guys have been so up your own asses because I said she let him slap her face, but the actual meaning of "let your guard down" refers to consciously making an effort to block vs not and is much closer to my flippant description of the scene than all of your guys arguing against me.

I said that the plotting makes sense, I just said its a stupid execution, she didn't let the clone do anything but a glancing blow in the previous fight. If someone fails to put their dukes up in a boxing match and gets hit in the face did they let the opponent hit them in the face? Think carefully about this one.
You yourself already covered this by bringing up the more literal translation. The thing Nobara was not on guard for was Mahito's cursed technique not getting hit entirely. And this is clearly evidenced by her being shown blocking too late which itself wouldn't have resulted in her not being hurt because of how Idle Transfiguration worked. A reasonable interpretation is that she was braced for taking a claw hand to the face and then got screwed over because of the switch.

I don't know why you are trying to make this more than a split second mistake on whether she expected to be injured by a weaker clone or insta-killed by the real deal.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Brought To You By posted:

You yourself already covered this by bringing up the more literal translation. The thing Nobara was not on guard for was Mahito's cursed technique not getting hit entirely. And this is clearly evidenced by her being shown blocking too late which itself wouldn't have resulted in her not being hurt because of how Idle Transfiguration worked. A reasonable interpretation is that she was braced for taking a claw hand to the face and then got screwed over because of the switch.

I don't know why you are trying to make this more than a split second mistake on whether she expected to be injured by a weaker clone or insta-killed by the real deal.

I mean I think you're agreeing with my overall premise. I think it would be weird for Nobara to willingly tank something to the face. I agree with your reasonable interpretation though! She wasn't expecting to get instakilled and let Mahito cross 20 feet + slap her face and didnt react in time! By not guarding against his hand like you'd expect, she let herself get slapped. My problem with it is I think its poorly staged, stupid in execution.

Compare to something like Todo where he instantly defends against the domain but is too late. Here we have Nobara being slapped and the narrator telling us its because she let her guard down with the art showing that Mahito had to run 20 feet to do it.

Edit: theres still 10 days until a new chapter :gibs:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I mean I think you're agreeing with my overall premise. I think it would be weird for Nobara to willingly tank something to the face. I agree with your reasonable interpretation though! She wasn't expecting to get instakilled and let Mahito cross 20 feet + slap her face and didnt react in time! By not guarding against his hand like you'd expect, she let herself get slapped. My problem with it is I think its poorly staged, stupid in execution.

Compare to something like Todo where he instantly defends against the domain but is too late. Here we have Nobara being slapped and the narrator telling us its because she let her guard down with the art showing that Mahito had to run 20 feet to do it.

We are not agreeing because like I mentioned multiple times. She got hit three times in her fight with the clone because no matter how you shake it. She doesn't have the agility to dodge with no contact and thus, she was similarly late in evading the attack that killed her.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Brought To You By posted:

We are not agreeing because like I mentioned multiple times. She got hit three times in her fight with the clone because no matter how you shake it. She doesn't have the agility to dodge with no contact and thus, she was similarly late in evading the attack that killed her.

Previous fight: "She's avoiding my hands..."

Mahito needs a full touch to get his poo poo off and she dodges all his attacks so they're glancing blows or full whiffs. Inexplicably tanks an entire palm to her face. Even when she thinks he is not using his CT because he's a clone she doesn't let him full on get her rear end. I think its a weird resolution for someone actively in a fight to let their guard down like that and tank a full blow.

I'm not disputing the plotting details of what happened, i'm saying its stupid lol
\/\/

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 11, 2024

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This is the worst derail I’ve ever seen.

Nobara was focused on chasing Mahito clone and in a split second Mahito went from running full force away from her to full force towards her. She did not have an opportunity to guard. In this case she let down her guard by focusing on pursuit. Guarding was not possible from her position. She probably made a mistake by not being more aware of potential counter-attacks, but this is because she had a significant advantage and was trying to press that advantage. She thought Mahito’s clone’s plan was to escape, not to swap places with the original.

We can acknowledge that Nobara made the wrong decision in the fight by pressing too hard on pursuit and thus being unable to be prepared for counterattack. She did not make a conscious decision to tank a hit from Mahito’s hands, but because of everything up to that point in the battle she was no longer fighting on a basis of “no matter what happens I cannot let his hands touch me” which had been her strategy up to that point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Previous fight: "She's avoiding my hands..."
Also previous fight: "Get hit three times by my opponent including raw tanking a claw hand strike just to trade blows"

If this were the real Mahito he would have just exploded her shoulder here instead of cutting it. She'd be dead if not on this move but the next one. I didn't even want to bring this up because I hope you don't try and claim this is bad writing somehow either but she would have died twice in the last fight were she not fighting a clone. That lance/whip arm could have wrapped around and also touched her face and that would be that. And it's not weird she doesn't instantly explode from that blow. Mahito had never tried his technique on sorcerers and Nanami was proof it wouldn't work that well on trained sorcerers. Nobara surviving a couple seconds but still taking the damage is within expectations since she isn't first grade like nanami.

This whole thing is dumb. The only thing we agree on is that the english TL doesn't list the most relevant factor and even then, Gege could have spelled it out more explicitly for readers like you.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really should have just let that one goon call me illiterate, cripes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I said in my original point that I think its dumb she would not protect her own face from a guy that has claw hands considering she does protect herself in the first fight. Why do you think this is refuting my point? She takes glancing blows, so no she would not have died from any of those hits in the first fight. You can say with some fanfiction that OG Mahito would have got her, but at the time she dodged those attacks she thought he was the OG! She is actively dodging.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
She does actually state in the first fight, that one of the reasons she figured he was not the original was because he could have touched her at a few points, but went for different attacks instead.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

Hey, fighting games! my specialty. Now I can join this dumb derail as a new challenger!

Nope, nobody ever lets their guard down in that sense (as in intentionally not blocking) unless they are trying to lose or in some very specific cases where getting hit by an attack is better than blocking it, which is a thing.

Modern fighting games are full of systems designed to overload your mental stack and some fighters are specifically made to take advantage of that by setting up tricky situations where, if you let your guard down (figuratively speaking), you're gonna get spanked. It's fairly obvious when this happens so the commentators should have no trouble pointing it out.

Now, back to Nobara getting hit by a literal touch of death attack.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So uhh for a different tangent, what are the chances we open the next chapter not with Yuji/Sukuna and instead jump to like Takaba and Yuta having a dandy with Getos talking brain?

Non zero is my answer.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

trucutru posted:

Hey, fighting games! my specialty. Now I can join this dumb derail as a new challenger!

Nope, nobody ever lets their guard down in that sense (as in intentionally not blocking) unless they are trying to lose or in some very specific cases where getting hit by an attack is better than blocking it, which is a thing.

Modern fighting games are full of systems designed to overload your mental stack and some fighters are specifically made to take advantage of that by setting up tricky situations where, if you let your guard down (figuratively speaking), you're gonna get spanked. It's fairly obvious when this happens so the commentators should have no trouble pointing it out.

Now, back to Nobara getting hit by a literal touch of death attack.

I think those esport commentators ( I dont watch fighting game esports but I do play them!) are not using the phrase correctly in mixup scenarios, but obviously they can use whatever idioms they want to make things hype.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

I think those esport commentators ( I dont watch fighting game esports but I do play them!) are not using the phrase correctly in mixup scenarios, but obviously they can use whatever idioms they want to make things hype.

It's not a mixup. It's not realizing the situation you're in and doing something that is dumb in that situation (you let your guard down).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one thing I can say about this debate about the fight against Mahito is this - I would have won the fight if it were me instead of Nobara. This doesn't mean Nobara is weak, though - I am just very skilled and powerful.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The one thing I can say about this debate about the fight against Mahito is this - I would have won the fight if it were me instead of Nobara. This doesn't mean Nobara is weak, though - I am just very skilled and powerful.

I would have parried it tbh.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

noobara

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I would have parried it tbh.

Broken my spine to bend back 90 degrees and dodge that hand.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Recreating Evo moment 37 by summoning a shikigami to scream "WAY TO GO MAHITO!" right before he touched me

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

THATS JUJUTSU BAYBEEE

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

I really should have just let that one goon call me illiterate, cripes.

I would simply not engage with fans of the most sexist shounen manga ever published. Only sick freaks would associate with that kind of work.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
As the King of Solomon fought the poster Asuron, he began to open his domain. Asuron shrunk back in fear "stand proud, you are Something Awful"

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

King of Solomon posted:

Takaba died?? I thought he was just lying on the ground spent

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lily Catts posted:

It looked like it, but I might be reading too much into those panels.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lily Catts posted:

It is not confirmed one way or another, but he is wearing Yurei garbs. He might be dead.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It was just a visual gag representing he felt he could die happy both after that comedy performance, and because he'd succeeded in allowing Yuta an opening on Kenjaku so his job was done.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Takaba was doing a bit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing about about Takaba is that he could accidentally will himself dead that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Flair posted:

It is not confirmed one way or another, but he is wearing Yurei garbs. He might be dead.

my read is that he was waiting for Kenjaku to finish him off, and has made peace with it.