Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
As long as you're talking about a thin layer on the bottom of a wok or cast iron go for it. I wouldn't deep fry frozen dumplings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
All the frozen gyoza I've bought have had instructions to cook from frozen.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

From frozen is the only way to potentially guarantee they won't just be a dough ball if thawed.

I don't think a frozen dumpling is the same thing as an ice cube, tossing frozen poo poo in vat of hot oil is a fry cook sometimes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the ice cube thing is because all that water flashes to steam. A frozen dumpling isn't that wet. I don't see why you'd get any more of a steam explosion from a frozen one than if you thawed it first.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Any one got a rec on a decent kitchen scale that's not super cheap and sucks

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Are you sure you don't want one that's not super cheap and doesn't suck?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

My Weight KD8000.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

Do not drink unpasteurised milk, it doesn’t matter how much the local farmer “knows what they’re doing”, pasteurisation absolutely saves lives and raw milk is a loving stupid and dangerous fad

Remember when a bunch of rich people got sick from drinking "raw water"?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mystes posted:

Are you sure you don't want one that's not super cheap and doesn't suck?

I try for super cheap && doesn't suck

"Ozeri Pronto" $11 on Amazon, 3 years no issues. Very easy to stow away.

However,

SubG posted:

MyWeigh KD8000.

This one gives you a power adapter, adjustable auto-off (always on vs 2 min auto off vs 5 min), baking % mode, at the cost of $56 plus harder to stow away. It's also probably less prone to drifting, but I know the Ozeri is remarkably accurate when calibrating with a graduated cylinder and water.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also have an Ozeri pronto and have no complaints at all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How bad are desiccant packets for your health?

Like say you’re heating up some soup and dump a bag of rice cakes in and notice a desiccant packet in the soup that was probably there for ten seconds

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Putting this out front, not a doctor and the right answer is probably to throw away the food.

But if the silica gel does not have a colored coating and you're confident you didn't miss any, it's fine.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

How bad are desiccant packets for your health?

Like say you’re heating up some soup and dump a bag of rice cakes in and notice a desiccant packet in the soup that was probably there for ten seconds

I’d still eat the soup

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Eh it’s moot now

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Eh it’s moot now

Oh wow that silica gel really does aborb all the water

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Re: butter chat:

What butter do y'all buy?

Is it worth keeping "premium" butter around for anything but special occasions? Like if I make Alfredo sauce Hazan says to use choicest quality butter. Is grocery store unsalted kerrygold good enough?

I mean it's been good enough, or maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. But I'm really just wondering a) what choicest quality butter is, b) if it's easy to find and c) worth the cost (edit: or maybe better put: when is it worth the cost).

Also I always freeze it immediately after buying (unless I'm out and need a stick right away).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 12, 2024

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I never buy unsalted butter

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

I never buy unsalted butter
I am ashamed to confess the same

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We use Kerrygold for my wife and the slightly cheaper Kirkland brand for me and the kids. Always salted, all the time

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The only thing I buy is unsalted butter. In a world where everything has excessive sodium content, being able to wrest some control back in the form of being able to liberally apply butter to my toast and salting as I see fit is a nice feeling.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you're using enough butter on your toast for the sodium to be a problem I think you might have bigger problems

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I got problems all right: Too much sodium. Thats why I buy unsalted

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mystes posted:

If you're using enough butter on your toast for the sodium to be a problem I think you might have bigger problems

It's not just the salt in the butter. It's the sodium in the bread you're using. Then the cheese. Then the meat. Then the million other things you casually consume throughout the day.

Unsalted is just salted waiting to happen, so that's why I just save myself the headache and salt it myself to my own liking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I understand if you need to cut down your sodium and don't want salt at all or you're adding lite salt or something, but I think the amount of salt in salted butter isn't that high, so if you're just going to add normal salt anyway I don't really see the point. Are you sure you're even adding less salt than would be in the butter?

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 12, 2024

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah I'd cut out the salted olive oil first.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

BrianBoitano posted:

We use Kerrygold for my wife and the slightly cheaper Kirkland brand for me and the kids. Always salted, all the time

possibly the wrong thread for this, but I am dying to know more about this divided household where the lady of the house gets the good stuff and everyone else gets budget butter

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DaveSauce posted:

Re: butter chat:

What butter do y'all buy?

Is it worth keeping "premium" butter around for anything but special occasions? Like if I make Alfredo sauce Hazan says to use choicest quality butter. Is grocery store unsalted kerrygold good enough?

I mean it's been good enough, or maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. But I'm really just wondering a) what choicest quality butter is, b) if it's easy to find and c) worth the cost (edit: or maybe better put: when is it worth the cost).

Also I always freeze it immediately after buying (unless I'm out and need a stick right away).

I generally buy the generic store brand (though I admit I can taste the difference) and I buy both salted and unsalted. But I also do a fair amount of baking, where unsalted is the standard. If I want a decent, everyday, bread butter, I'll spend the extra buck or two and buy Land O Lakes.

I'd probably pick up Kerrygold or some other upscale brand for special occasions, but haven't felt the need just yet.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Qubee posted:

Unsalted is just salted waiting to happen, so that's why I just save myself the headache and salt it myself to my own liking.

Cutting out one processed food per week buys you a sodium budget for luxurious salted butter every day

DasNeonLicht posted:

possibly the wrong thread for this, but I am dying to know more about this divided household where the lady of the house gets the good stuff and everyone else gets budget butter

I don't have a preference, so cheaper for me. We have 2 fridges and a chest freezer so having all of the above on hand ain't a problem.

I'm used to prepping each meal in duplicate - kids get less spicy, less tangy, sauce on the side, etc, so separate butter isn't too much of a headache.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kind of mystified by the worship of Kerrygold going on, is it different in the US? It's just average quality branded butter in the UK.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Torquemada posted:

Kind of mystified by the worship of Kerrygold going on, is it different in the US? It's just average quality branded butter in the UK.

It's because it's the most readily available butter from grassfed cows which isn't the norm in the US iirc. Also European butter in general has to have a higher butterfat percentage.

Edit: probably a good dollop of stereotypical Irish imagery and marketing appealing to Americans too

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 12, 2024

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's the best tasting butter which is also available at Costco. That's our selection criteria sorted!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

Average quality branded butter in the UK is noticeably better than average quality branded butter in the US. Kerrygold is the only UK that makes its way over here in most stores though, so it is noteworthy.

We get President in some higher end stores, which is supposed to be even better, but I find it has less buttery flavor than Kerrygold, so I don’t bother.

Fake edit: pretty sure that average US butter has higher water content than Kerrygold/European style butter, which needs to be accounted for in low water applications like pie crust, but is pretty much required for stuff like shortbread.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Kerrygold is the only UK

:siren:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mystes posted:

I understand if you need to cut down your sodium and don't want salt at all or you're adding lite salt or something, but I think the amount of salt in salted butter isn't that high, so if you're just going to add normal salt anyway I don't really see the point. Are you sure you're even adding less salt than would be in the butter?

Doctor's orders and if I want food to taste somewhat flavourful for the rest of my meals throughout the day, I need to be drastic with sodium intake wherever I can otherwise I quickly reach the allowable limit. Have a little experiment and just count sodium intake during a normal day, guaranteed you'll blow way past the limit.

I once flew to Ireland on my British driving license, and a female customs officer was giving me a hard time and telling me next time I need to fly on my British passport. Being the naive 17 year old I was at the time, I confusingly said "Ireland is practically England though, isn't it?" and she flew off the rails. Started screaming at me and a colleague of hers had to come and physically move her away from the booth and just sheepishly ushered me through customs. I learned not to make that mistake again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Qubee posted:

Doctor's orders and if I want food to taste somewhat flavourful for the rest of my meals throughout the day, I need to be drastic with sodium intake wherever I can otherwise I quickly reach the allowable limit. Have a little experiment and just count sodium intake during a normal day, guaranteed you'll blow way past the limit.
Right, and as I said this might make sense if you weren't adding salt back. But salted butter has like 1/4 teaspoon of salt per stick which I think is around one shake of a salt shaker per tablespoon. Are you sure you're actually adding less salt than there would be in salted butter?

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 12, 2024

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've been getting the costco new zealand butter. It definitely has a stronger flavor to it. It's like you can taste the cow if you know what I mean.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

Right, and as I said this might make sense if you weren't adding salt back. But salted butter has like 1/4 teaspoon of salt per stick which I think is around one shake of a salt shaker per tablespoon. Are you sure you're actually adding less salt than there would be in salted butter?

IDK Qubee or their eating habits, but often freshly salted food can taste more salty than pre-salted food. Like if the salt all dissolves and mixes up with everything. So maybe if you sparingly hit it with some flaky sea salt or something you might end up with less :shrug:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mystes posted:

I typically don't add salt back if I'm just having plain old buttered toast, the bread has enough salt in it for my tastebuds since they've adjusted to the lower sodium diet. The only time I'll add salt is for something like a buttered toast and tomato sandwich, or I'll sprinkle some lo-salt on top of a buttered slice of toast if I'm feeling extravagant (rarely).

The main reason I buy unsalted is just because it's one less thing adding salt to an already oversalted world, no matter how miniscule, and considering your RDA is a level teaspoon, that can be blown past without even realising. If I'm having buttered toast, I'll typically have 4 slices because it's a comfort food, and each slice will take roughly 10g of butter. Do I really want to have almost 1/6th of my daily intake of salt from butter alone, completely ignoring the amounts in the toast? Not really. Even if I half that and go with two slices, it's 1/12th of my salt intake just from butter alone (and not even heavily buttered at that).

Sorry for distracting from the original question of what butters people typically get. Ultimately, whatever brings you happiness, do that. I used to get bougie butters back when I was in the UK but since moving to the middle east, I just get regular old Lurpak.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm sure I've said this before, but in Ireland, Kerrygold is the same as every supermarket own-brand butter. They do not have separate milk suppliers or dairies.
So if you're in Ireland, just buy any own-brand Irish butter, it'll be a good bit less expensive than Kerrygold.

edit: I just had a quick look at the various options, and Kerrygold actually has the lowest butterfat content, at 80% - the Tesco/Aldi/Dunnes versions are 81 or 82% Salt is mostly the same in each, at around 1.8%

The highest fat, lowest salt is this one https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/product/dunnes-stores-my-family-favourites-irish-creamery-butter-454g-id-100806879

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

ok yeah if you're eating 3 tablespoons of butter with your toast I can imagine the salt adding up