Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Endless Eight is better than the Sigh eps they made in that same season, though I'll grant I should've realized you're supposed to use the rebroadcast watch order instead of each season non-chronologically as separate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I skipped through most of it
this is fine. tim roger's cyberpunk review is also a monument work of art but I've only seen 1/3rd of it, as tim rogers requested

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Endless 8 was some kind of money laundering or embezzlement plot, cause no reason to devote that many episodes to what was a side story that only lasted like one chapter considering anime adaptations tend to only use 3 episodes on average per volume.
because it was an interesting artistic experiment by a studio with a lot of freedom

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

homeless snail posted:

the endless eight is a monumental work of art

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was worth it for Haruhi's 69 T-shirt

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people are always like "it was a mistake not to adapt more of the novels" and then all i hear from people who read the novels is that everything they skipped over was either only tangential to what they adapted or was a new arc that doesn't really have a satisfying conclusion or relate back thematically enough

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think E8 is useful context for what drove Nagato to do what she did in Disappearance.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

because it was an interesting artistic experiment by a studio with a lot of freedom

Agreed there (I don’t think they recycled any animation or voicework for it either which is even more impressive). I believe the original story it was based on only went through like one or two loops at most

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

Yea its not like they didn't have to draw, write and voice act every episode just like normal.

It would be different if it were a bunch of still image episodes like evangelion 24 and 25

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea its not like they didn't have to draw, write and voice act every episode just like normal.

Now I'm wondering what the creation side of those episodes were like. Was there anybody on staff who was tired of the bit by the end?

Anyway, endless eight taught me some days you just shouldn't answer the denwa.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wouldn’t mind more Haruhi (or Slayers for that matter) but sadly anime based on light novels mostly exists as advertising for the work, if there aren’t any new books coming out they aren’t going to fund more shows unless it’s super popular or something

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

people are always like "it was a mistake not to adapt more of the novels" and then all i hear from people who read the novels is that everything they skipped over was either only tangential to what they adapted or was a new arc that doesn't really have a satisfying conclusion or relate back thematically enough
The later novels basically just spin their wheels endlessly where they introduce a gimmick (with increasingly diminishing returns of how interesting they actually are) that rubber band snaps back to the status quo by the end in a way that makes you question whether it contributed to the larger story in any way. I definitely reached a point where I kind of wish the author had just written a finale for Disappearance because I found it to be downhill from there.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Now I'm wondering what the creation side of those episodes were like. Was there anybody on staff who was tired of the bit by the end?

Anyway, endless eight taught me some days you just shouldn't answer the denwa.

they all have different episode directors and storyboarders so it's not like the same person handled all 8, it's actually a pretty cool demonstration of what those roles bring to the table since everything else is held mostly constant.

the voice actors are the ones who probably fully felt it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larryb posted:

I wouldn’t mind more Haruhi (or Slayers for that matter) but sadly anime based on light novels mostly exists as advertising for the work, if there aren’t any new books coming out they aren’t going to fund more shows unless it’s super popular or something

I swore I saw something recently about a new Haruhi thing coming out, might not have been animated though.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Having a new Spice & Wolf anime starting from the beginning was pretty random

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Arc Hammer posted:

I swore I saw something recently about a new Haruhi thing coming out, might not have been animated though.
A new book with three sidestories came out a few years ago (the most recent book before that was 9 years prior).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s apparently another Haruhi book coming out at an unspecified date as well as a concert on the 20th:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/latest/2023/9/24/haruhi-suzumiya-gets-new-suzumiya-haruhi-no-gekijo-light-novel

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the new haruhi book had a sweet afterword addressing the kyoani fire. sadly the sidestories themselves were kinda dull

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think I bought like 6 of the lns back in the day, I'd read them again on Kindle or something if they got picked up

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh I guess some amount of them are on there, cool

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

i think it was a live event of some sort

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

i think it was a live event of some sort

As I posted above, there’s going to be a live concert on the 20th (assuming nothing’s changed since the announcement back in September) and a new book is reportedly in the works.

On another note, are the Slayers novels still going? I know he put out some new books a few years ago at least

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACXO_rjaIUA

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Endless 8 was some kind of money laundering or embezzlement plot, cause no reason to devote that many episodes to what was a side story that only lasted like one chapter considering anime adaptations tend to only use 3 episodes on average per volume.

lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wait what girl does the baba turn into, I need to know. tsuruya?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

itsuki dressed as the obatarian from Yakuza

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Meowywitch posted:

I'm gonna die in a blizzard

rip

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sitting through like 2 years of Slayers anniversary stuff and watching them do every loving thing except a new season was agony

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They made Lina into a drat vtuber

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I'm going to freeze my bits off tomorrow because I need to do some things and hopefully it will have stopped snowing by then.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Sitting through like 2 years of Slayers anniversary stuff and watching them do every loving thing except a new season was agony

God dammit kanzaka

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

Lina would not last long as a vtuber. One donation from Naga making fun of her chest and Lina would destroy an entire city block.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

got a new ipad.
64gigs this time, instead of the 32gig one I won in a raffle years ago.

now i can fit two gacha games on it!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not only did I get a neat LycoReco shirt, Witch from Mercury shirt, Wrestle Kingdom stuff and a Precure mug from my Japan trip....I also got a case of Strep throat :(

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i dont like the show that much but lina was one of my favorites in dota 2 so i have a soft spot

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Megamissen posted:

i dont like the show that much but lina was one of my favorites in dota 2 so i have a soft spot

:blastu:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waffleman_ posted:

Inverse?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, but a Kizuna AI styled edited video type rather than a streamer. She only had a few videos to promote products and a concert.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Audience participation is such a big part of vtubing these days that it feels like cutting that out is missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011