Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is one of the next games I'm gonna play!

(Astlibra Revision for the new page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I wish I could stay up to enjoy the countdown but alas, I have to sleep.

Excited to get to wake up to the final results though!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Valkyrie Profile got the same number of points as Forspoken hehe

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Regy Rusty posted:

Easily my biggest Hipster Gamer year - 4 of my games not even in the top 60. Only one of those I find a bit surprising though is Darkest Dungeon 2. Tyrion Cuthbert, Roottrees, and Exocolonist are all pretty much expected.

Love seeing someone else who liked Darkest Dungeon 2. I managed to beat Act 5 for the first time this week. Great game!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

seems laser-focused at everything I love in games and I’m kinda bummed that it took me this long to get into it.

Referee posted:

this was one I replayed on PS4 both for the trophies and to experience this world again

Jordan7hm posted:

The best side scrolling world I’ve ever played. It’s sprawling and circuitous, has lots of secret areas, feels super interconnected, and maintains a sense of discovery basically through the entire game. It’s the last point that sets HK above other games in the genre - constantly creating that sense of discovery from the start to the finish is something most games struggle with, but which HK nailed.

52. Hollow Knight (Team Cherry) (2017)
44 points. Voted for 5 times. Appeared #1 twice. Average of 8.8
Down by 3 places.

This year I have made some badges for games and Hollow Knight is the first badge winner!
It had the highest average because everyone who voted for it loved it and why would they not?
Had we had a GOTY thread in 2017, this stood a good chance at being in the top 3 even with that year as packed as it was!

Also, just got breaking news of the Silksong release date!!! ...March...29th...2078? oh geez.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Somehow I have not (given a good try) played hollow knight. I'll fix it one day.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Hollow Knight is on my proverbial short (very long) list. Hopefully this is the year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Preaching to the choir obviously given that high average, but seriously, everybody should play Hollow Knight, it's so drat good!

....silksong.... :negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

57. Star Ocean The Second Story R (SquareEnix and Gemdrop Studios) (2023)
41 points. Voted for 6 times. Average of 6.8

Another huge win for fans of the RPG from Japan!

First of my games inside the top 60! With a higher average score than what I gave it hmmm!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mutha Fuckin Hollow Knight

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

Also, just got breaking news of the Silksong release date!!! ...March...29th...2078? oh geez.

:negative:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nail Rat posted:

Hollow Knight is on my proverbial short (very long) list. Hopefully this is the year.

Yeah tell me about it. I do own a copy of hollow knight but it is on a list of games I intend to play and that list is currently 178 games long.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I adore Hollow Knight. Maybe I should play it again…..dammit, this backlog is never getting done

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah tell me about it. I do own a copy of hollow knight but it is on a list of games I intend to play and that list is currently 178 games long.

Unless that list also includes Outer Wilds I have good news about the game you need to play next

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

First of my games inside the top 60! With a higher average score than what I gave it hmmm!!

I ranked it second on my list because it’s a great game with an insanely good remake. Everyone should play star ocean 2 r.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
silksong isnt real

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

An Actual Princess posted:

I ranked it second on my list because it’s a great game with an insanely good remake. Everyone should play star ocean 2 r.

Agreed absolutely stellar game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lisztless posted:

Lush, vibrant, replayable, and mechanically satisfying, with a plethora of secrets to discover.

DC Murderverse posted:

The episodic, non-linear nature of the chapters, the grid-based action, the wildly different settings and writing styles, it all feels like game designers having fun messing with convention, and the most amazing thing is that they made it fun and meaningful.

bewilderment posted:

this 2022 remake, ported to PC in 2023, shows it has plenty of tricks that other games still haven't picked up on.

51. Live a Live (SquareEnix) (2022)
46 points. Voted for 10 times. Average of 4.6
Down by 30 places.

I have always wondered how to pronounce this game. Is it Live a Live? Or Live a Live? Or Live a Live? Or even Live a Live?

*sigh* I guess I will just keep wondering.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Subscribing to Regy’s “what game should people play next” newsletter

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

VideoGames posted:

I have always wondered how to pronounce this game. Is it Live a Live? Or Live a Live? Or Live a Live? Or even Live a Live?

It's the one that doesn't make sense, OP

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's pronounced lee vay a lee vay

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

It's pronounced lee vay a lee vay

That was not even on my list?!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I was one of the first people to platinum live a live. Love it so much!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Another one of my games!!! I think I only have 3 left yet to place lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
clive a clive

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Subscribing to Regy’s “what game should people play next” newsletter

We can make a nice flowchart

Does the list include Outer Wilds? Yes > play Outer Wilds. No > go to next question

Does the list include Obra Dinn? Yes > play Obra Dinn. No > go to next question

Does the list include Hollow Knight? Yes > play Hollow Knight. No > congrats you did it you played all the games

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
livin a live, livin a live
ah, ah, ah, ah

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I somehow played 35 hours of Hollow Knight without finishing it :eyepop: I vaguely remember falling into Deepnest as one of the last things I did... But I think I will finally finish it this year, along with Shovel Knight.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
And that's me downloaded Hollow Knight for another play.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

VideoGames posted:

51. Live a Live (SquareEnix) (2022)
46 points. Voted for 10 times. Average of 4.6
Down by 30 places.

*sigh* I guess I will just keep wondering.

Live a Live owns. Glad to see it this high. (And for the record, it’s the same pronunciation as “live music”, for both.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Live a Live was fun. Had some really clever ideas.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Nottherealaborn posted:

Its refreshing to play a shooter that isn't filled with machine guns spraying with nearly zero recoil, people jumping a sliding around like maniacs, and everyone being a bullet sponge.

frytechnician posted:

Killing someone in this game feels incredibly hard earned and legging it to an extraction point with your bounty is absolutely heart-pounding. Sweaty as hell but in the right way and absolutely best played with friends.

the Paper posted:

What a unique atmosphere, with a very pervasive Gothic Southern atmosphere. I love that the guns are all old timey with most only able to fire off one round before you need to reload. And there's no aiming reticle or crosshair, it's just you and the ironsights. The gunplay is intense, the fighting fun and hectic, and there's always a potential for danger.

50. Hunt Showdown (Crytek) (2019)
46 points. Voted for 6 times. Appeard #1 twice. Average of 7.6

Reading all this praise makes me wish I had picked it up on PlayStation when it was £5!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I bought hunt showdown cheap but I have yet to fire it up :geno:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

VideoGames posted:

50. Hunt Showdown (Crytek) (2019)
46 points. Voted for 6 times. Appeard #1 twice. Average of 7.6

Reading all this praise makes me wish I had picked it up on PlayStation when it was £5!

It's a live service MP game, it's gonna be steeply discounted many times in the future.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Pomeron posted:

I'm a sucker for parrying games so I was super excited for Dynasty Warriors by way of Nioh 2. It did not disappoint.

A Bystander posted:

Also getting to pal around with some of history's heroes while also kicking their asses in duels for their poo poo rocks.

Paying2Lurk posted:

Bigger "battlefield" levels, a greater emphasis on parrying, and a Three Kingdoms setting. Lucky for me, I love all those things.

49. Wo Long Fallen Dynasty (Team Ninja) (2023)
47 points. Voted for 10 times. Average of 4.7

This game is super great, even though I am stuck on one boss. I will best him, though. Wish he did not copy himself into 10 other dudes though and cause me a lot of panic. You are going down Zhang Rang!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wo Long just didn't really grab me sadly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I liked who long a lot but yeah didn't even make my top ten. It's a very decent team ninja game but doesn't reach the highs of nioh.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Wo Long peaked with the Lu Bu fight and never recovered. Truly the strongest man in the three kingdoms.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I really like how much simpler it is compared to Nioh 1 and 2 which I am dire at. The parry move is a gem and makes me feel super when it works :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm happy my GOTY made it as high as it did despite no one else voting for it :v:

Dude this thread is always so cool though, I love the presentation and I love seeing everyone's fervent passion for games I have never heard of