Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bang Bravern episode 1 was the best 1 episode of the season so far. Going 2/3rds real robots only to go full super robots was an inspired choice and I'm shocked we haven't seen more shows try it. Also it's got the Obari touch while avoiding the excess that dragged down his original 2000's robots shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

kirtar posted:

I decided to look up the cast list, and no wonder the bird's voice is familiar. It's Aoi Yuki. Oh and the coworker is Rieri

didn't recognize the bird voice at all

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the angel and demon show has some potential.
gonna depend on the balance, if is all onesided with the angel bullying the demon guy, its gonna get stale, but hopefully she gets stuff backfired on her a bit.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The mood whiplash in Bravern was incredible

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
If Bravern really leans into the super robot in a real robot world premise it'll be something special.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Polikarpov posted:

If Bravern really leans into the super robot in a real robot world premise it'll be something special.

Yeah it's had some genuine LOL moments already, looks promising

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

a sign of affection continues to majorly own for much the same reasons as last week. the scene where oushi and yuki talk in sign language is such a burner - it's a really cool piece of animation and they effectively use the way oushi talks in sign to convey a lot about his character

if you're into shoujo romance and you're not on this one yet you're missing out, it's absolutely fantastic and easily my favorite show of the season so far

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tales of Woe posted:

maybe they also got duped into being uninterested by the promos

Waffleman_ posted:

Could have been some red tape or rights weirdness holding it up

I want to believe they were caught flatfooted and then when they saw what was coming out of the first episode they went "holy poo poo" and bumped it up.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i like the modern practical aspects of Sign of Affection where they make full use of their cell phones to quickly type out stuff when one side has a lot to say to another at one time even if both sides know some sign language

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

wasn't into the first episode of bucchigiri

hated the protag, his motivations, and the vibe of the story/humor. if the end of the episode is any indication the style during the fights is going to be loving sick but i don't think i want to put up with the rest of it to get there.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Keith Courage in Alpha Zone Returns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFd_XudeE4&t=33s

A Wataru anime in 2024...wild

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'll look forward to Bandai releasing three episodes with English subs and then stopping. 👍

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

aww nooo Sign of Affection ep2
The childhood friend!! Sorry dude, you were born into a cursed role. My heart is always with the childhood friend character.

Was wondering what degree of deafness the main character has, so glad it clarified that. Was wondering if the hearing aids were cosmetic and just to easily let people around her identify that she's hearing impaired since she has no problem openly showing them. Since some people can be self-conscious of them.

Really loving all the characters in the show.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Solo Leveling ep2 has some great slaughter

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is Bang Bravern the first anime to mention the United States Space Force

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when bang bravern gets into srw they should give it a plot arc around it turning into the united galaxy space force, and have it cross over with ace combat 3 electrosphere and mr. driller

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I'd call it a safe guess that other sci-fi anime (among other media) referred to such in the past, this is just the first one to do so when it's not a fictional creation.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Waffleman_ posted:

Is Bang Bravern the first anime to mention the United States Space Force

Now that it actually EXISTS, you mean? Probably

Is it the first to mention one long before it did? Hell no.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Okay yeah Bravern owns. Apart from everything everyone else has mentioned, I like that fact that it's just like a classic contemporary alien invasion plot. Just, loving, aliens out of nowhere falling out of the sky. EDF-rear end poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I don't know what Bravern is cooking yet, but it's absolutely cooking

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bravern had me worried for the first 1/3 of the episode, had me confused on the 2nd third, and had me fully on board in the last third. This seems like a wild ride.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Waffleman_ posted:

shhh let him cook

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waffleman_ posted:

it's an obari anime so no matter how it turns out it's going to at least have been a memorable ride

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shout out to the time obari directed an anime adaptation of a kind of boring, styleless sega saturn adventure game nobody played and he turned it into this

https://files.catbox.moe/6zfwvf.mp4

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Colonel posted:

shout out to the time obari directed an anime adaptation of a kind of boring, styleless sega saturn adventure game nobody played and he turned it into this

https://files.catbox.moe/6zfwvf.mp4

What anime/game is that?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Virus Buster Serge which isn't good but is interesting

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Saga Saturn had a ton of anime games.
i remember the sailor moon one that had the first time giving Saturn a transformation

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GateOfD posted:

Saga Saturn had a ton of anime games.
i remember the sailor moon one that had the first time giving Saturn a transformation

I have one for "SNES" that I really need to get around to playing(dame for the Tenchi Muyo and GS Mikami ones).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Obari's 90 work includes a lot of weird stuff like Virus Buster, Gowcaizer, Dangaizer 3 and Voogies Angel which while not really good its all visually interesting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
obari directed the toshinden ova which. is probably one of the best fighting game ovas? the story's about what you expect but it actually has some style so the action looks pretty good and it moves at a good pace.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Obari draws his human characters with the same dimensions as his mecha designs.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 14, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah and it worked for his Toshinden and Fatal Fury anime. Heck SNK should of just had him do all their anime, would of made Art of Fighting and Samurai Showdown way better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like virus buster's bizarre lineage, of a saturn adventure game adapted into an anime that was nothing like the game, which then got its own tie-in ps1 card game that had no ties to the original saturn game

Arc Hammer posted:

Obari draws his human characters with the same dimensions as his mecha characters.

the variety of human shapes he draws in virus buster is a marvel

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oh i recognize those designs.

Its the same guy that did that Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer OVA that used to air in the 90's on the premium channels. Had some very risque scenes. Also based on a fighting game. Never really understood what the heck was going on.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm kinda of sad Obari has moved on from that character design style even if I know it wouldn't work for Bang Brave

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rAd4SXGn6w

Lol full OP already dropped

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite obari lore is that he literally left home at 18 saying he wouldnt come back until he was a famous artist

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isami seemed pretty boring at first, but then he was taken further and further out of his comfort zone. it's good stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be fun if Isami continued to be hyper stressed out at Bravern throwing everything his way while Lewis remains oblivious to it and thinks that Isami is just the coolest guy in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

meiji gekken was more competent than i expected for an abandoned crunchyroll original™. compares unfavorably to revenger though for something set in roughly the same time period and genre