Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's always ethical to trick the emmys

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Shinjobi posted:

An extremely on brand hire then

Fitting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

ESPN was accused of making up people for the purpose of qualifying for Emmy nominations, I believe some Emmys were taken back

How do made up people win awards? I guess it could work for group awards.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lmao they would have been better off just buying some knock off Emmy trophies and then giving them out to whoever.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

See this used to be what the Cable Ace awards were for.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

victimless crime should face no punishment

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Fitting.

How do made up people win awards? I guess it could work for group awards.

quote:

ESPN circumvented the rule by inserting fake names into the credit list it submitted to NATAS for “College GameDay.” The Athletic reviewed the credit lists for the years the show won: 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. In each one of those seven years, names similar to the names of on-air personalities – and with identical initials – were listed all under the title of “associate producers.”

Kirk Henry (Kirk Herbstreit), Lee Clark (Lee Corso), Dirk Howard (Desmond Howard), and Tim Richard (Tom Rinaldi) appeared in all seven years. Steven Ponder (Sam Ponder) and Gene Wilson (Gene Wojciechowski) appeared in five from 2014-18. Chris Fulton (Chris Fowler) appeared in 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015. Shelley Saunders (Shelley Smith) appeared in the 2010 credit list.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

He and Griff still evidently don't understand why Julia didn't like the Varsity Blonds gimmick in AEW and couldn't wait to do something more fun like House of Black, and his ideas for the team there sucked, so I'd be more surprised if he didn't think this was amazing too

Haha man. I always thought it was a callback/mashup of The Varsity Club and The Hollywood Blondes they were going for but Pillman's idea was way more lame than that.

What a wiener.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Suplex Liberace posted:

victimless crime should face no punishment

It's the rare case of the victim coming off worse than the criminal. I hope they picked some names from the Bobson Dugnutt list.

edit: for reference and because that list always makes me laugh

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 13, 2024

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

So the Fed got this guy so he can get them made up Emmys?

I hope the fake name used is "Triple HGH".

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Why not just give the on-air personalities producer credits so they could get the awards? Money?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

my favorite part of the story is that it's unclear if anyone actually asked him to do this or if he just went rogue to give like a slightly confused Lee Corso several trophies.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Cody finally finishes the story when this dude passes him the WWE title with "Country Roads" on the name plate.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TheKingslayer posted:

I know the common idea is that it's supposed to sound that way since dude is a heel, but I'm not entirely sold on that. If HHH came up with it he absolutely thinks it sounds cool as hell.

And that's part of my issue with Roman's...uh...reign. Between his whiny catchphrase and him needing a million Bloodline interferences to win anything, on paper he's the shittiest lil' poo poo heel in the company. Begs for attention, can't do anything by himself.

But in practice everyone in the company and on commentary can't stop talking about how he's the BIGGEST BADDEST STRONGEST MOST DOMINANT CHAMPION EVER DA HEAD OF DA TABLE BIG DOG OOOOOH ROMAN REIGNS THE DESTROYER.

Y'all can't have it both ways, fuckers. :argh:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Isn't that weird? It makes it feel like the company in kayfabe is tacitly behind the heel champion and it should make the whole brand a heel.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Vandar posted:

And that's part of my issue with Roman's...uh...reign. Between his whiny catchphrase and him needing a million Bloodline interferences to win anything, on paper he's the shittiest lil' poo poo heel in the company. Begs for attention, can't do anything by himself.

But in practice everyone in the company and on commentary can't stop talking about how he's the BIGGEST BADDEST STRONGEST MOST DOMINANT CHAMPION EVER DA HEAD OF DA TABLE BIG DOG OOOOOH ROMAN REIGNS THE DESTROYER.

Y'all can't have it both ways, fuckers. :argh:

Best champion of all time - has stupid looking Superman punch as his special.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Entitled chickenshit heel champs have been slowly established as the baseline even during the days of SuperCena. Nearly all the heels he faced were like that. What's new about Reigns is that he is such a whiny jackass, but with the smothering support from WWE SuperCena got in terms of publicity. It's a unique blend, including the worst of both worlds.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What if…The Rock wants to sit at the head of Vin Diesels table and he’s using the WWE to take over the Fast Franchise

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pillowpants posted:

What if…The Rock wants to sit at the head of Vin Diesels table and he’s using the WWE to take over the Fast Franchise

The Rock is going to win the belt and the next Fast movie is going to be Vin Diesel trying to steal the WWE Championship

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ganso Bomb posted:

The Rock is going to win the belt and the next Fast movie is going to be Vin Diesel trying to steal the WWE Championship

the movie ends in a blowoff match at wrestlemania where vin diesal loses and roman farts on his car

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Digital Jedi posted:

And a collection of some of Roman's shirt available now to buy

Seeing all these together made me realize Roman's logo is basically the Monarch's from Venture Bros....or some terrible, 2000-era "extreme" Spider-Man variant.

Chris James 2 posted:

He and Griff still evidently don't understand why Julia didn't like the Varsity Blonds gimmick in AEW and couldn't wait to do something more fun like House of Black, and his ideas for the team there sucked, so I'd be more surprised if he didn't think this was amazing too

I don't think the Varsity Blondes gimmick is bad...for heels, because adult men wearing letterman jackets are clearly not good guys. Of course Beepie thought it was the perfect good guy look.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 13, 2024

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TheKingslayer posted:

Haha man. I always thought it was a callback/mashup of The Varsity Club and The Hollywood Blondes they were going for but Pillman's idea was way more lame than that.

What a wiener.

I didn't even think of Varsity Club. The Hollywood Blondes connection with Pillman just seemed the absolutely logical conclusion. That it came from "kinda sounding like Varsity Blues" is incredible.

That being said, I dug the Varsity Blondes gimmick and Julia added a ton to it. I wouldn't have minded seeing them get a bigger push, but it was obvious even back then that Julia Hart probably had a higher ceiling than that act and I could see her wanting to branch out. Hell, she's kinda outgrowing House of Black now.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
The Varsity Blondes were cartoony and objectively kind of lame, but wrestling is great when it has some things that are cartoony and objectively kind of lame.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Entitled chickenshit heel champs have been slowly established as the baseline even during the days of SuperCena. Nearly all the heels he faced were like that. What's new about Reigns is that he is such a whiny jackass, but with the smothering support from WWE SuperCena got in terms of publicity. It's a unique blend, including the worst of both worlds.

I’ve said before wwe wants Roman to be both the biggest face and the biggest heel in the company at the same time. So it makes everything feel disconnected.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've been reading Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling and it's actively making me like Bret a lot less. He just constantly comes across as a whiny hypocrite who will cheat on his girlfiend (and then wife) at the drop of a hat and then blame her for making him do it, and has a lot of extremely questionable opinions about various minorities.

I'm about 25% in, does it ever get better or even entertaining?

One amusing bit though: the man was so loving devoted to kayfabe that he wouldn't tall his then-girlfriend (and future wife) that wrestling was fake and actively tried to conceal it from her, which is just comically stupid and probably was comically stupid at the turn of the 80s when he did it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Varsity Blondes were fine as the baby face equivalent of the Factory or the Wingmen.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I can't really tell you whether it gets "better" because I think it's an absolutely fascinating book written by an extremely interesting person who was writing from a place of pain, betrayal and righteous anger, while also being an extremely flawed person in his own right. If you don't like it now, you won't like it the rest of the way, but I think it's an intriguing look into so many parts of the wrestling world that were at the time rarely if ever explored at this depth.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I remember when people were begging WWE to turn Cena heel and seeing how they've used Roman I'm really glad it didn't happen because we'd have gotten 6 years of Nexus Cena burying all the babyfaces with momentum instead of the heels

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
HHH finally made a wrestler with more cold rear end nicknames and phrases than he had lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tampa Bae posted:

I remember when people were begging WWE to turn Cena heel and seeing how they've used Roman I'm really glad it didn't happen because we'd have gotten 6 years of Nexus Cena burying all the babyfaces with momentum instead of the heels

I dunno, I think Cena doing a heel rear end-kissing corporate champion gimmick (which is basically what he was doing as a face anyway) would have been a more interesting character than Roman's cocky but boring tough guy bouncer gimmick.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

If they did heel-Cena as a long-term gimmick like they did heel-Cena in the Firefly Funhouse match, I don't know if it'd have worked but I think there'd have been potential. Otherwise yeah there were a lot of ways heel-Cena would have just been another thing that went wrong in a dull un-fun way

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Tampa Bae posted:

He still wouldn’t have worn the shirt

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

I mean, Cena can actually work a compelling match if need be.

Roman just makes stinky faces and gets injured, or maybe not brother.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

John Cena's open US Challenge showed that he can, and is completely willing to work when he wants to. Roman hasn't done the same, Roman's career is like Triple H where he was the least interesting person in a faction then became a main eventer and is only considered a legend because WWE keeps telling you he's a legend.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just did this in my game

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've been reading Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling and it's actively making me like Bret a lot less. He just constantly comes across as a whiny hypocrite who will cheat on his girlfiend (and then wife) at the drop of a hat and then blame her for making him do it, and has a lot of extremely questionable opinions about various minorities.

I'm about 25% in, does it ever get better or even entertaining?

One amusing bit though: the man was so loving devoted to kayfabe that he wouldn't tall his then-girlfriend (and future wife) that wrestling was fake and actively tried to conceal it from her, which is just comically stupid and probably was comically stupid at the turn of the 80s when he did it.

sounds like someone who wouldn’t acknowledge the troops

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Tampa Bae posted:

John Cena's open US Challenge showed that he can, and is completely willing to work when he wants to. Roman hasn't done the same, Roman's career is like Triple H where he was the least interesting person in a faction then became a main eventer and is only considered a legend because WWE keeps telling you he's a legend.

People will tell you that Triple H was the best worker in the world in 2000-2001 before the quad tear and to those people, I simply say

no

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Majinfoose posted:

People will tell you that Triple H was the best worker in the world in 2000-2001 before the quad tear and to those people, I simply say

no
His best matches were against people selling their asses off because he was becoming the bosses son-in-law

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

HHH was capable of having good matches where he held up his side fine against world class workers. I wouldn't say he was the best worker in the world but he was a guy you could count on to have pretty good matches.

Then he tore his quad, got huge, lost mobility and stamina, and most of his matches became slow and plodding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Youtube recommended me a clip from a recent Smackdown and I saw Paul Ellering is out of retirement. How long has he been back and is he managing a new LoD?