Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Awesome avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

In Training posted:

Awesome avatar.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

American McGay posted:

Imp magic. Just had to post about it.

Now to see what all this Hell talk is about.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Get in line brother.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

: Defeat Balfrog

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

: Defeat Mara

lol at Mara's visual design and his style of combat both

: Beat the Game

I enjoyed this game a lot. the combat was generally pretty easy but never really got boring, and fusing and negotiating with demons was fun the whole game. I liked the story for the most part, but I'm pretty bitter that at the end Akane ends up sacrificing herself to torment and suffering again to save everyone, the prevention of which was what pushed me down the chaos path in the first place. and then to rub salt in the wound you have to kill her. I really liked the whole main cast of characters, and the supporting characters were generally fun and interesting as well. glad I played it, good pick

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Found the right XP compatibility settings and it's working for me as long as I stick to a 640x480 window. Game feels good, I like the floaty jump and the weapon variety. Just started so I'm in still in grasstown cleaning house with the bubbler

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arch Nemesis posted:

: Defeat Mara

lol at Mara's visual design and his style of combat both

: Beat the Game

I enjoyed this game a lot. the combat was generally pretty easy but never really got boring, and fusing and negotiating with demons was fun the whole game. I liked the story for the most part, but I'm pretty bitter that at the end Akane ends up sacrificing herself to torment and suffering again to save everyone, the prevention of which was what pushed me down the chaos path in the first place. and then to rub salt in the wound you have to kill her. I really liked the whole main cast of characters, and the supporting characters were generally fun and interesting as well. glad I played it, good pick

Great stuff, glad you enjoyed it. Now you can join me in lamenting them not making a modern 3rd one of these that would have cleaned up the last bit of jank.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

: Beat the game

: Beat the game on a Hell Run

well i did it. one of my favorite games. it gets better every time i play it. used the snake for the first time, it really makes the game pretty easy. easier than the spur and much easier than the machine gun. the machine gun is still probably my favorite way to play it when all is said and done though. great pick vadun.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fun game I wouldn't ever play otherwise. Nice pick and Game Club ftw

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

fun game. feel like i missed a lot of stuff based on what everyone else is talking about though

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tank boss in the labyrinth is kicking my rear end

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

oddium posted:

fun game. feel like i missed a lot of stuff based on what everyone else is talking about though

Yeah, there's a few secrets, some of which are counterintuitive and some can be missed.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah CS is infamous for the way it hides stuff behind some weird nonsense. I'd be surprised if even 1% of the people who've found the best ending did so without a guide.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

P-Mack posted:

Tank boss in the labyrinth is kicking my rear end
don't worry, that's normal

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah CS is infamous for the way it hides stuff behind some weird nonsense. I'd be surprised if even 1% of the people who've found the best ending did so without a guide.
I like it. kind of.

games tend to have those little moments where you're given an extremely pressing thing that you're obviously supposed to do immediately, and you as a gamer go "but what if I did something else? :twisted:"
and like 9 times out of 10 you just find all the exits are now locked or your character goes "I should probably do the extremely pressing thing" and stops you from trying anything else

cave story is like, what if instead of just accounting for all the potential gamer goofabouts by blocking them off, we hide neat stuff behind them sometimes, like the ability to save a cool npc? I like the idea of that, in theory.
the fact that you're not supposed to go check on professor booster when he gets hurt is real dumb though

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

: Defeat Binbou-gami

The start was a tad too slow for my tastes especially with all the walking around, but things got better.
Now I should really play Cave Story.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm not sure if I'm up for the hell run this time. I guess I did take the snake (verdict: powerful, but not nearly as satisfying to use as either of the other options) so I probably should...

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
: Fuse a Fiend

hell yea, got ice resist on him and all the stats buffed.

turn off signatures

Tonesy
Apr 15, 2004

QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE

great game. quite a difficulty spike there at the end. i do not have the patience at the moment to go through it again for the hell run. maybe next impmas

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

very nice experience, agreein that the difficulty definitly spikes in the boss rush, and really made me wish i could skip dialogue. very cool to finally play a game i've heard a lot about

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

I forgot to grab a screenshot of Balfrog. whoops.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

playing this on keyboard over a cold winter weekend owns

going a little slow but gonna see if i can't manage a hell run

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

About to finish the plantation and think I'm getting near the end. This game is great, I'm starting to see little hints of things I missed or could have done differently. I'm so glad there's only one save slot so I have to live in the moment instead of worrying about it.

The machine gun is extremely cool but I feel bad that I honestly forgot the polar star wasn't mine to give away in the first place. Sorry dude.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
yeah the machine gun rules. while its definitely the weakest of the polar star upgrades it has the advantages that you get quite a bit earlier than the other options and it gives you unique movement tech the other choices dont. its a real cool way to balance the choices you get in the game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I found the tiny man’s wife but I never found the tiny man.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I left the island with the tiny man.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Glad I made time for this one. Towards the end of the game it finally starts making it crystal clear that I could have gotten a better ending but hey I tried my best. Used the life pot and then proceeded to beat the final boss in my first try, it's not too hard to continually regain life and level while fighting it.

Excellent, excellent game, I liked it more the more I played it. Great pick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cave Story ftw. It's a simpler game but kero blaster is a good time from the same dev.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

In Training posted:

Cave Story ftw. It's a simpler game but kero blaster is a good time from the same dev.

not sure if i'll have time for cave story since i haven't started yet, but i own kero blaster cuz i bought it with Nintendo points ages ago and haven't played it and didn't know it was the same guy so i will probably play it soon.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

kero blaster rules

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

rolling for the next short game pick (to start Thursday)

Next short game goes to #29, Spoderman! Congrats and let me know your game/trophy picks whenever you get a chance!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

I found the tiny man’s wife but I never found the tiny man.

Did you check your mirror.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

roll list seems to be broken.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
decided to go all in on a hell run. the last time i did this was around 2012 and since then i've played celeste and its b/c sides, completed the white palace in hollow knight, and got the dustforce achievement, and i'm reminded of all three games again as i start trying to get the hang of sanctuary. it loving rules that cave story got it so right back in 2004 and still holds up compared other platformers that would come after.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

French Accent posted:

roll list seems to be broken.

yeah something must have broken at some point, I think it's working now

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Which racist IK closed the Friday thread?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

herculon posted:

Which racist IK closed the Friday thread?

this post goes in the feedback thread

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I forgot to get the Life Pot :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

: Beat the game on a Hell Run

hell probably took about three hours, really slow progress at first until i started figuring out when was safe to slow down and farm a bit and when it was better to just take a hit and keep boosting

excellent game, glad i had the time for it this week