Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Wachter posted:

I wonder how big an object can be fed a fruit. Could you feed a house the Chicken-Chicken Fruit and make Baba Yaga's crib?

I wanna feed a stag beetle fruit to a forklift and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I managed to fall behind around October and man was 1103 a helluva chapter to catch up on

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Saw this post by catagon87 on the Manga Helpers forum and I thought it was wonderfully worded for perspective whenever there's a long break or understanding the crazy pressure Oda is always under:

quote:

Now for Oda's reality.
Since July of 1997 you have been producing weekly(ish) chapters of a manga. The manga contains a story that really only you can complete. In the early days you're not super successful just yet so your team of assistants is small. They help you draw landscapes and details while you story-board, add dialogue and draw the characters. Every week that SJ is out you're expected to produce a 14-20 page long chapter that advances the plot. This includes drawing extremely detailed images with backgrounds. This also includes being consistent. You can't draw Nami one way today and another tomorrow (unless you're talking the time skip or something). Details on the characters (Luffy's scar, for instance) have to be consistent in every angle you draw them in. If you don't produce chapters you will be dropped from the magazine. If you don't produce chapters you will be disappointing millions of fans. If you don't produce chapters people will question your health, whether you have what it takes to complete your work, and all the while the majority of these people are reading your work for free, on the internet, never contributing a dime of their own money to your success. Many of these people will go so far as to insult you when you decide you can't push out your typical 15 page chapter this week because you aren't feeling well. Many of those same people will call into work for a belly ache, or complain that their country hasn't standardized a 4-day work week.

Now fast forward a bit more. You're very successful. They're talking about making movies about your work and need you to divert some of your writing time to creative contributions towards the movie production(s). They decide a new way to capture more of an audience would be a live action, so you have to be involved in that. You are expected to show up to just about every manga festival and give some kind of update and acknowledgement to your fans. All the while you're still expected to keep producing chapters and advancing your story.

Now move on a bit more and your live action was a success. What the poo poo? Those always suck. Now you are strapped in for season 2 which will arguably require even more creative input than season 1. You still work for SJ though, so those guys are still hounding you for weekly chapters, too.

Oh poo poo. You're in your late 40s. Your eyes are going from staring at pages all day and drawing. You're finding that going on few hours of sleep per night is catching up to you. You still have deadlines but your health is slipping. You've been hunched over daily for the past 30 years (because let's not forget, you also worked as an assistant at one point), so you have chronic back pain, carpal-tunnel, and probably aren't hitting the gym regularly to make up for all the sit-down time. Well, you can just hand off the story to... Wait. There's nobody else. This is your work, and those millions of people are your fans who will be disappointed if they don't get that chapter this week.

When Oda isn't feeling well, he seriously has to weigh the fact that millions of people will be disappointed if he puts his health before a weekly release. He produced more in one year than most of us will produce in our entire lives. Most of us would do nothing but bitch if we had the level of expectation he has on him. He's rich, sure, and that definitely helps him towards his goals of finishing OP, but it's not like he's a Hollywood celebrity living in SoCal. He's still working a rigorous job with high expectations, and he can't just decide he's done as easily as say, Taylor Swift could.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Saw this post by catagon87 on the Manga Helpers forum and I thought it was wonderfully worded for perspective whenever there's a long break or understanding the crazy pressure Oda is always under:

Oh, so it’s a mystery schedule!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Joking aside I think we all kinda understand that Oda needs all the breaks he can get after grinding so long.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Hunter-x-Hunter-ill-wait.tiff

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
The wait to see Kuma beat Saturn’s face in is interminable , the worst kind of cliffhanger to take an extended break on

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I think that's also partially why he's accelerated his plans for the ending to come sooner. The man is probably really tired at this age now.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

just a few days more brothers

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i dont really mind the breaks at all. i'll be here when the chapters come out. and its a unique and somewhat fleeting feeling to Anticipate A Serialized Product esp. with the downfall of weekly TV shows and whatnot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
prediction: kuma seeing the future hard enough to know saturn would be trying to kill bonney from across the world is foreshadowing the reveal that shanks can see decades into the future if he tries hard enough. a lot of shanks’ actions make more sense if he has extremely long range future sight

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Shanks can see decades into the future but can’t see one fish, what a fraud

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tbp posted:

i dont really mind the breaks at all. i'll be here when the chapters come out. and its a unique and somewhat fleeting feeling to Anticipate A Serialized Product esp. with the downfall of weekly TV shows and whatnot

Yeah, I'm pretty ok with break weeks. However I do wish, as much as I like it, he would hand off more of his art duties to his assistants. Oda telling the story is way, way more integral to everything than Oda drawing the story. The entire model of one dude writes and draws an entire series is dumb as poo poo anyway, even if you throw in a few assistants as a given.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

As much as it pains me to say it, I’m happy for Oda to keep hopping over inconsequential stuff it gets him to the end and allows him to realise everything he’d been building to without ruining himself. Shame we didn’t get a post-Wano and that the Egghead Death Game was skipped over, but at this point those sort of things are just repetitions of ideas that have been covered in many prior arcs - I wanna focus on what’s new.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This post followed by Chapter.jpg is just wonderful.

I hope Oda takes some solace in that he's been doing this so long and hasn't hosed it up. Thinking Game of Thrones or Attack on Titan that poo poo the bed SO badly at the end that it taints the whole series – it doesn't seem like that's gonna happen here. He's done the impossible and led a live action anime adaption that's good. The kind of good you don't need to put caveats ahead of recommending.

Can't wait to see the series conclusion but it's more like cheering on someone in the final part of a marathon more than a "Oda where's my loving chapter maaan".

Gyges posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty ok with break weeks. However I do wish, as much as I like it, he would hand off more of his art duties to his assistants. Oda telling the story is way, way more integral to everything than Oda drawing the story. The entire model of one dude writes and draws an entire series is dumb as poo poo anyway, even if you throw in a few assistants as a given.

Feel like there was a quote going around ages ago that Oda draws every person but does let assistants draw the backgrounds and ship art. Not sure how old that is, or how accurate tho.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Feel like there was a quote going around ages ago that Oda draws every person but does let assistants draw the backgrounds and ship art. Not sure how old that is, or how accurate tho.

I seem to remember that was the plan, but he'd inevitably draw more than the characters because he wanted it to look a certain way or thought it would be a cool thing to draw.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
some people just want to do everything themself.

i'm the same way. i hate other people in my space while i'm doing my thing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
no break next week

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the punch is so close

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it might be a slap

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Countblanc posted:

the punch is so close

and after such a long paws

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
When a bear hits you, it's both a punch and a slap.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nePW-yKBsyc

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This post followed by Chapter.jpg is just wonderful.

It's not just Chapter.jpg, it's Chapter in a hospital bed.jpg.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm still really loving the new opening & closing for the anime I have to say.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Marluxia posted:

It's not just Chapter.jpg, it's Chapter in a hospital bed.jpg.

Yeah lmao that was intentional

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm still really loving the new opening & closing for the anime I have to say.

Same. The anime has just been on a real high note since Wano started.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Countblanc posted:

the punch is so close

Sorry it's Kizaru flashback time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

I'll allow it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Predictiom: the chapter is gonna own!!!!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just want the punch to land the chapter can be four pages for all I care

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want the punch to be four pages

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

RatHat posted:

Reveal of Kizaru as a double agent who’s been waiting 30 years for a chance to bring Saturn to the mortal plane for a beating would own tbh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RatHat posted:

A flashback where Saturn is justifiably evil cause something really sad happened to him

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
There are spoilers out now for the upcoming chapter if you're really desperate for that next hit, just FYI.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Infinitum posted:

A flashback where Saturn is justifiably evil cause something really sad happened to him

Except that it's like something completely overblown, like "I was late for the bus so I decided to subjugate the world for a thousand years"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The punch is so strong that there's no break next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinitum posted: