Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
ooh most of these new pieces are from the new daydream hour volume which is out today, hopefully it'll all be translated before long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

"Hey what would the Canaries look like genderswapped?"
"Like literally identical"
"Makes sense, and what about Kabru?"
"Oh unbelievably cunty"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i would let her manipulate me

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The elf designs in dungeon meshi are probably some of the most successfully-androgynous ive seen in fiction and I've always found that pretty cool

particularly mithrun, whose gender was completely impossible to ascertain until he was finally given a pronoun

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I also thought Thistle and Mickbell were both female until dialogue said otherwise.

If you showed me the gender-swapped Canaries shorn of any context or explanation, I'm not sure I'd immediately notice the difference apart from the illusionist, whose posture and facial expression seem strikingly different; I noticed that before anything else.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I hadn't realized it was a genderswap image until I saw a comment by the translator saying it took them several minutes to realize it was a genderswap image

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait some of the canaries other than the captain were male? :v

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Since we are on the topic..

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait some of the canaries other than the captain were male? :v

nah Lycion was just rocking a titties out look

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Bad Seafood posted:

I also thought Thistle and Mickbell were both female until dialogue said otherwise.

If you showed me the gender-swapped Canaries shorn of any context or explanation, I'm not sure I'd immediately notice the difference apart from the illusionist, whose posture and facial expression seem strikingly different; I noticed that before anything else.

Lol so did the official translator (from Vol 5 Chapter 30):

Funnily enough, the scanlation is careful to say 'the sorceror' or 'they' throughout the scene:

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Hugs :3:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Lol so did the official translator (from Vol 5 Chapter 30):

Funnily enough, the scanlation is careful to say 'the sorceror' or 'they' throughout the scene:

You can just assume that the character made an incorrect assumption.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/drawbrandondraw/status/1746662689441485294

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 15, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

The elf designs in dungeon meshi are probably some of the most successfully-androgynous ive seen in fiction and I've always found that pretty cool

particularly mithrun, whose gender was completely impossible to ascertain until he was finally given a pronoun

Which makes it funny that Mithrun is the one who looks most notably different here.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
The hits just keep coming

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

"You can't just sit in front of the TV all day, Garfield."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like the comics showing Thistle having trouble with running a dungeon's ecology

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lmao

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ants love juice

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
It has, it turns out, been a while since I read this:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
This is actually the first thing I thought of when I heard that there was going to be an anime adaptation. I hope we get the farming golems in the first season, it should be around the corner, right?

Seeing the extras reminds me! Izutsumi is a character I can't quite wrap my head around. She shows up fairly late in the story and doesn't ever gel with the adventuring party the way that everyone else does. She has some pretty fun moments but all the way up to the end she stands alone.

What do people make of it? Just like, a member of the party that is immune to the charms of eating monsters so she can be a foil and provide a perspective on how effective Laius's philosophy is in a larger context? I know it's also like, "literal cat girl funny" but I always kind of wonder where she fits in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its not like she likes them or anything.

My cat literally just did this then came back for more pets.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

A jargogle posted:

It has, it turns out, been a while since I read this:

He's got that dog in him

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lmao just noticed this, the long leg fetish continues

ryoko kui playing it subtext with marcille and falin but just laying all the cards out there with namari and kiki, and otta will never stop being funny to me

RoboCicero posted:

Seeing the extras reminds me! Izutsumi is a character I can't quite wrap my head around. She shows up fairly late in the story and doesn't ever gel with the adventuring party the way that everyone else does. She has some pretty fun moments but all the way up to the end she stands alone.

What do people make of it? Just like, a member of the party that is immune to the charms of eating monsters so she can be a foil and provide a perspective on how effective Laius's philosophy is in a larger context? I know it's also like, "literal cat girl funny" but I always kind of wonder where she fits in.

She also serves as a bit of contrast to Senshi who is also an outsider but ends up fitting in more with the party, though the epilogues imply he ends up keeping in touch less than her even. Also has the stuff that ties in with Falin since the whole like, soul mix thing.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I assume it because the party had gotten a bit too chummy at that point, but it wasn't time yet for Bad Ideas Marcille, so she was added in to help provoke conflict within the party.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

This is actually the first thing I thought of when I heard that there was going to be an anime adaptation. I hope we get the farming golems in the first season, it should be around the corner, right?

Well, she was in the manga's prototype chapter, so that's part of things. (In fact, in the prototype version, she'd join well before the Red Dragon.) She was always meant to be part of things, but figuring out a way to make a catgirl ninja fit in a more traditional DnD setting with obsessive detail on how everything works probably took more time than expected.

I kinda wonder if she and Laios were meant to have more of a dynamic. He's metaphorically a dog, while she's literally a cat, he's obsessed with monsters, she's half-monster and not thrilled with it, and the epilogue has her be his one real contact with monsters left, since she keeps dropping them off at his castle.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Izutsumi was added because she is cool and good and made the entire party cooler and gooder. :colbert:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lt. Lizard posted:

Izutsumi was added because she is cool and good and made the entire party cooler and gooder. :colbert:

nod nod

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Izutsumi’s player joined partway through the campaign

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RoboCicero posted:

For all the complaining Marcille and Chilchuck do, they'd both been adventuring with the Thordens for a fair while already, and were too nice and responsible to give up on Laios no matter what kind of bullshit he got up to. Izutsumi had no real attachment to them or to their quest from the start, so they had to win her over to the point where she wouldn't just ditch them the moment they weren't worth sponging off anymore.

She does end up gelling with the party quite a bit in her own way, but the way she keeps a sense of distance from them helps provide a different perspective on the party, both about the poo poo they get up to and the fact that they're actually pretty nice and considerate people despite all that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also she's the one willing to just run up and chop Laios's head off if things go south.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Izutsumi also joins up just as we get to a decent chunk of the story where the gang doesn't meet any other adventurers for a while, so she shakes things up a little and rounds out the party both things that the occasional guest star would do during earlier parts of the story.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Izutsumi joined the group so that Marcille would have competition for best girl.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Pureauthor posted:

Also she's the one willing to just run up and chop Laios's head off if things go south.

I wonder if Laios ever made clear that that service was no longer needed after the whole demon thing.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, she was in the manga's prototype chapter, so that's part of things. (In fact, in the prototype version, she'd join well before the Red Dragon.) She was always meant to be part of things, but figuring out a way to make a catgirl ninja fit in a more traditional DnD setting with obsessive detail on how everything works probably took more time than expected.

does this chapter exist online anywhere? i've never seen it and it sounds interesting

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Yeah as others said, Izutsumi helps round out the party by mixing up the dynamic post-dragon as well as take actions that would be less in character for Marcille and Chilchuck. She also helps expand on some of the story themes of maturity and growth that are present but not as central in other characters like Laius and Marcille by being more clearly immature than the other party members.

I do hope we / her one day find out what the full deal of her backstory is, the Adventurers' Bible only says she was separated from her family at age 6 and fused with the Giant Cat beast, and then a year later she ends up in the traveling sideshow. It seems like a lot of risk and effort to be using dangerous forbidden magic just to stock up your circus.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I do hope we / her one day find out what the full deal of her backstory is, the Adventurers' Bible only says she was separated from her family at age 6 and fused with the Giant Cat beast, and then a year later she ends up in the traveling sideshow. It seems like a lot of risk and effort to be using dangerous forbidden magic just to stock up your circus.
I doubt the circus turned her into a cat. My assumption is someone else did it and she ran way, only to get caught by the circus and displayed as an oddity.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Gay gay homosexual gay:

Hyopthetical dungeon master Laios:

Turns out Paracelsus was right on the money when it comes to making homunculi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the fairy bit reminds me that one story bit i really like was the half elf stuff and how other elves see her... one of the few areas i wish was really explored more because it was neat but honestly dunno where else you could take it either