Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Wait gently caress, I meant to ask earlier before Hanukkah started and christmas ramped up the busyness. Since it's the end of the year, does anyone else want to share some Top Ten of 2023 or Best Book I've Read in 2023 recs? I've been meaning to type something up but eh, life happens. It could be podcasts or audio books if anyone's too busy for a book.

edit this was suppsoed to be an edit sorry woops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

value-brand cereal posted:

Wait gently caress, I meant to ask earlier before Hanukkah started and christmas ramped up the busyness. Since it's the end of the year, does anyone else want to share some Top Ten of 2023 or Best Book I've Read in 2023 recs? I've been meaning to type something up but eh, life happens. It could be podcasts or audio books if anyone's too busy for a book.

edit this was suppsoed to be an edit sorry woops.

My top 10 list is not going to include a whole lot of horror on it, I don't think. I branched out this year. But I will do a short writeup if people are interested.

I am finishing up The Hacienda by Isabel Canas - it's about a haunted house, circa 1850s Mexico. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but I'll be damned if the prose isn't fantastic and the story is intriguing.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

escape artist posted:

My top 10 list is not going to include a whole lot of horror on it, I don't think. I branched out this year. But I will do a short writeup if people are interested.

I am finishing up The Hacienda by Isabel Canas - it's about a haunted house, circa 1850s Mexico. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but I'll be damned if the prose isn't fantastic and the story is intriguing.

I mean, genre is a suggestion imo. I'd say 'Watch The Girls' by Jennifer Wolfe to be horror even though it's marketed as a psychological thriller and there's no paranormal or supernatural elements at all. But there's enough imagery often used in the horror genre that it comes across as a horror novel. Hell, I'd put it in the same bookshelf as Pessl's 'Night Film'. Also the huge amounts of horrifying [plot spoiler] explicit csa, rape, sexual abuse, and grooming of children. So yeah, horror adjacent might be fine, even as honorary mentions. And tbh a lot of people read things besides horror. It's not like there's a dedicated thread to top ten / faves of 2023 anyways.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Best books I've read this year were HEX and Hard to be a God. The latter in particular is a new favourite of mine that I'm sure I'll read again in a bit

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
HEX is really good, yeah.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Ok, I've now finished Hex and would like to amend my previous opinion. Hex is rather like a Stephen King novel, in that it chronicles supernatural goings-on in a small American town with a dark secret.

It's also rather like a Stephen King novel, in that it has an excellent beginning, a workmanlike middle and a dogshit ending. It's a great concept for a horror novel, but is clumsily and ultimately frustratingly implemented.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oh man i loved the ending of Hex, felt like it went full operatic in a glorious spectacle to me

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Thanks for the rec of Aching God. I was reading it thinking “this is like one of those basically-horror Pathfinder campaigns mixed with Darkest Dungeon”, and Lo and Behold, the author also turned out to have written a lot of those pathfinder campaigns.

Edit: lol he introduced a swarm of mini-Deskaras(?) - the insect-scythe demon thing from WOTR - to the poor bastards in Aching God book 3, as if things weren’t bad enough. The whole thing feels like a darker version of Rise of the Runelords. Still very fun.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 19, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Anyone heard of The Reformatory by Tananarive Due? It takes place in Jim Crow Florida... sounds pretty amazing honestly.

Very brief synopsis, not very spoilery:
A gripping novel set in Jim Crow Florida that follows Robert Stephens Jr. as he’s sent to a segregated reform school that is a chamber of terrors where he sees the horrors of racism and injustice, for the living, and the dead.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

escape artist posted:

Anyone heard of The Reformatory by Tananarive Due? It takes place in Jim Crow Florida... sounds pretty amazing honestly.

Very brief synopsis, not very spoilery:
A gripping novel set in Jim Crow Florida that follows Robert Stephens Jr. as he’s sent to a segregated reform school that is a chamber of terrors where he sees the horrors of racism and injustice, for the living, and the dead.

I’ve heard good things about this novel, and actually have it in my to read list. I appreciate the Gollitok recommendation from here, as it really scratched all my Eastern European/apocalypse/the horror of the mundane society/Kafka buttons. The prose was great too, very dry but somehow made it more compelling in the same way Lapvona by Ottessa Moshfeg described her spiraling Bosch-Ian horror.

Cranachan
Jun 29, 2023
Think it might have been a post in this thread that put me onto Between Two Fires, and much obliged to whoever that poster was. Top-tier medieval horror, taking full advantage of the mundane apocalypse and religious iconography of its time. Highly recommended whether you're looking for horror or a period piece garnished with angels.

Bonafide chills from "And the Lord made answer."

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

escape artist posted:

I was surprised by how much I liked both Cañas books, if only because the sort of stuff that gets picked for Book of the Month usually leans less horror-y and more mainstream (not that horror isn’t, but you know what I mean—it’s like heavily BookTok or whatever). I tend to avoid historical fiction but I enjoyed the settings of both and even the romances~~

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'd recommend Mexican Gothic if you're looking for that style, too

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Also liked that one, yes :-)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Camp Damascus ebook is 2.99 on all platforms today only if you haven't snapped it up yet

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

adnam posted:

I’ve heard good things about this novel, and actually have it in my to read list. I appreciate the Gollitok recommendation from here, as it really scratched all my Eastern European/apocalypse/the horror of the mundane society/Kafka buttons. The prose was great too, very dry but somehow made it more compelling in the same way Lapvona by Ottessa Moshfeg described her spiraling Bosch-Ian horror.

Badass! I love to hear that! Maybe this book would be up your alley too? It's not horror. More dystopian dark scifi kinda genre. It's certainly european and hopeless. And has political intrigue featuring a cog in the machine!

The Grand Dark by Richard Kadrey

quote:

The Great War is over. The city of Lower Proszawa celebrates the peace with a decadence and carefree spirit as intense as the war’s horrifying despair. But this newfound hedonism—drugs and sex and endless parties—distracts from strange realities of everyday life: Intelligent automata taking jobs. Genetically engineered creatures that serve as pets and beasts of war. A theater where gruesome murders happen twice a day. And a new plague that even the ceaseless euphoria can’t mask.

Unlike others who live strictly for fun, Largo is an addict with ambitions. A bike messenger who grew up in the slums, he knows the city’s streets and its secrets intimately. His life seems set. He has a beautiful girlfriend, drugs, a chance at a promotion—and maybe, an opportunity for complete transformation: a contact among the elite who will set him on the course to lift himself up out of the streets.

But dreams can be a dangerous thing in a city whose mood is turning dark and inward. Others have a vision of life very different from Largo’s, and they will use any methods to secure control. And in behind it all, beyond the frivolity and chaos, the threat of new war always looms.

Unfortunately my Euro Dystopia book shelve is a bit small. The only other book I can think of is Leech by Hiron Ennes, and that's not really, specifically european. Definitely dystopian and hopeless. That ending still hurts to think about.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ok I’m putting this in a separate post as it’s kinda long. Also we're going to pretend I didn't say let's collectively make 2023 recs and then not post my own lmao

So! It's advertised as fantasy scifi genres, but maybe it'll scratch someone's western (horror?) itch. The anthology,.

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny edited by Jonathan Maberry

quote:

Gunslingers. Lawmen. Snake-oil Salesmen. Cowboys. Mad Scientists. And a few monsters.
The Old West has never been wilder!
THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UNCANNY presents sixteen original and never-before-published adventures by some of today' s most visionary writers who have spun wildly offbeat tales of gunmen, lawmen, magic, and weird science.
Saddle up with Josh Malerman, Scott Sigler, Keith DeCandido, Cullen Bunn, R.S. Belcher, Greg Cox, Jeffrey Mariotte, Laura Anne Gilman, Aaron Rosenberg, Maurice Broaddus, John G. Hartness, Carrie Harris, James A. Moore, Marguerite Reed, C. Edward Sellner, Carrie Harris, and Jennifer Brody! These tales twist the American West into a place of darkness, shadows, sudden death, terror in the night, bold heroism, devious magic, and shocking violence.
Each story blazes a new trail through very strange territory; discovering weird science, ancient evil, mythic creatures, and lightning-fast action.

CONTENTS
Riding Along Dark Trails--Editor’s Foreword
The Disobedient Devil Dust-up at Copper Junction by Cullen Bunn
Devil’s Snare by R.S. Belcher
Bad by Josh Malerman
Bigfoot Gorge by Greg Cox
Story of the Century by C. Edward Sellner
The Stacked Deck by Aaron Rosenberg
Desert Justice by Maurice Broaddus
In the End, the Beginning by Laura Anne Gilman
Nightfall on the Iron Dragon Line by James A. Moore
Simple Silas by Scott Sigler
Hell and Destruction are Never Full by Marguerite Reed
The Legend of Long-Ears by Keith R. A. DeCandido
The Night Caravan by Jennifer Brody
Dreadful by John Hartness
Thicker than Water by Carrie Harris
Barnfeather’s Magical Medicine Show and Tent Extravaganza by Jeffrey J. Mariotte

Malerman is a horror author, but I’m not so sure of the others.

Heavy Oceans by Tyler Jones.

quote:

From Tyler Jones, author of MIDAS and BURN THE PLANS, one of Esquire's Best Horror Books of 2022, comes a story of deep sea terror and cosmic horror.
Struggling with the pressures of being a new father and the weight of regrets, Jamie Fletcher travels to Hawaii in hopes of connecting with his estranged brother, Eric.
After a shocking act of violence, the brothers end up on a fishing boat—along with the captain and his son—in the middle of the ocean, where they encounter an uncanny and terrifying phenomenon that will signal a shift in the evolution of the world.
This came out this month. I’ve never heard of this author, but I like ocean horror, and isolated locations is very intriguing.

Here's a different book I did meander through. I don't recommend if, but it's been advertised as horror. I'm posting here if anyone else has come across it and thinks it appealing.

The Daughters of Block Island by Christa Carmen

quote:

In this ingenious and subversive twist on the classic gothic novel, the mysterious past of an island mansion lures two sisters into a spiderweb of scandal, secrets, and murder.

Two sisters, strangers since birth yet bound by family secrets, are caught up in a century-old mystery on an isolated island.
After arriving on Block Island to find her birth mother, Blake Bronson becomes convinced she’s the heroine of a gothic novel—the kind that allowed her intermittent escape from a traumatic childhood. How else to explain the torrential rain, the salt-worn mansion known as White Hall, and the restless ghost purported to haunt its halls? But before Blake can discern the novel’s ending, she’s found dead, murdered in a claw-foot tub. The proprietress of White Hall stands accused.

Summoned by a letter sent from Blake before she died, Thalia Mills returns to the island she swore she’d left for good. She finds that Blake wasn’t the first to die at White Hall under suspicious circumstances. Thalia must uncover the real reason for Blake’s demise before the forces conspiring to keep Block Island’s secrets dead and buried rise up to consume her too.

It's not a bad book, I enjoyed it. But I feel it should not have been advertised with the genres of 'horror' or 'gothic'. I would've enjoyed it better if it was sold to me as a plain mystery on a isolated island. I'm posting these spoilers because I'm kinda mad how the book is summarized.

Minor content warning spoilers
hey there's rape in this. It's kinda the main plot point. It's not explicit on scene, but it is recounted non explicitly by the survivors of rape.

Minor vague plot spoilers
The ghost doesn't appear very much. It's not so much horror as it is a mystery with references to Gothic literature.

Major plot spoilers
There is no ghost or paranormal plot lines. The house has a bunch of secret passage ways that lets the rapist(s) wander around the house.

Semi related nonfiction, non horror rec. A long time ago I recommended White Tears by Hari Kunzru. Here's the summary for a refresher.

White Tears by Hari Kunzru.

quote:

Two twenty-something New Yorkers. Seth is awkward and shy. Carter is the glamorous heir to one of America's great fortunes. They have one thing in common: an obsession with music. Seth is desperate to reach for the future. Carter is slipping back into the past. When Seth accidentally records an unknown singer in a park, Carter sends it out over the Internet, claiming it's a long lost 1920s blues recording by a musician called Charlie Shaw.
When an old collector contacts them to say that their fake record and their fake bluesman are actually real, the two young white men, accompanied by Carter's troubled sister Leonie, spiral down into the heart of the nation's darkness, encountering a suppressed history of greed, envy, revenge, and exploitation.

I'd like to recommend the nonfiction book, Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey by Robert Mack McCormick, edited by John W. Troutman.

The summary.

quote:

The drama of In Cold Blood meets the stylings of a Coen brothers film in this long-lost manuscript from musicologist Robert "Mack" McCormick, whose research on blues icon Robert Johnson's mysterious life and death became as much of a myth as the musician himself
When blues master Robert Johnson's little-known recordings were rereleased to great fanfare in the 1960s, little was known about his life, giving rise to legends that he gained success by selling his soul to the devil. Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey is musicologist Mack McCormick's all-consuming search, from the late 1960s until McCormick's death in 2015, to uncover Johnson's life story. McCormick spent decades reconstructing Johnson's mysterious life and developing theories about his untimely death at the age of 27, but never made public his discoveries. Biography of a Phantom publishes his compelling work for the first time, including 40 unseen black-and-white photographs documenting his search.
While knocking on doors and sleuthing for Johnson's loved ones and friends, McCormick documents a Mississippi landscape ravaged by the racism of paternalistic white landowners and county sheriffs. An editor's preface and afterword from Smithsonian curator John W. Troutman provides context as well as troubling details about McCormick's own impact on Johnson's family and illuminates through McCormick's archive the complex legacy of white male enthusiasts assuming authority over Black people's stories and the history of the blues.
While Johnson died before achieving widespread recognition, his music took on a life of its own and inspired future generations. Biography of a Phantom, filled with lush descriptive fieldwork and photographs, is an important historical object that deepens the understanding of a stellar musician.

OK I'll admit to a lot of ignorance. Robert Johnson I have heard of, but not particularly in depth as this book lays out. While White Tears is not pseudo biographical for Johnson, there are distinctive similarities to his life and how white people exploited his life and the art he made. I'm not saying what Kunzru did with his book is anything like that but I does make me question how much of the book is further exploitation in the same vein. As far as I know, Kunzru is a non Black man of color. It's certainly a choice for a British person to write about this topic. It's not that people should never write about things outside their life experience, but I think it should be done with tact and care for the lives and cultures and others. (why yes it's about ethics in literature). Well anyways, Biography of a Phantom was a pretty good book. I'd like to track down Brother Robert: Growing Up with Robert Johnson by Mrs. Annye Anderson & Preston Lauterbach. They were women who knew Johnson personally. If you read or heard of White Tears and wanted to know the nonfiction inspiration, I'd say this is a good starting point.

Anyways I'm going to complain about a book for a moment. Everything in the spoiler tags is a major plot spoiler. But first let's take a look at the summary from the publisher.

Glass House by Paul Jessup

quote:

Meet the family Glass. They just bought the home of their dreams, and are about to embark on a new stage in their life.

Meet Lucas Glass, their father. He's obsessed with the Sunshine Family-a psychedelic rock band from another era that famously devolved into a suicide cult. This is their house, complete with a family crypt.

Meet Dana Glass, their mother and Lucas's wife. She is fascinated with the house, in a way that is far more passionate-more intimate-than she's ever been, even with her husband.

Meet Rae and Lily, the daughters of the family Glass. When Rae makes friends with the Sisters of Sorrow, dark mothers who exist within the walls of the house, she starts a very dangerous game. Lily was buried alive as part of one of her father's documentaries, and while she was near death, she was touched by a ghostly presence.

Meet the Glass House, once the Gemini House, and before that the Coffin House, constructed out of repurposed coffin wood and ancient occult magic. It has its own ancient sentience, and loves Dana Glass with all its wooden heart.

From Paul Jessup, best-selling video game designer and award-winning short fiction writer, comes a haunted house novel that opens a door into a world filled with blood and madness.

Oh look at that delicious summary. It sounds so interesting, doesn't it. Grits teeth, DOESN’T. IT.

▪ Also thanks to Darin Bradley for editing the hell out of this and getting into shape before publication,...

I dont like you Darin. You saw this and chose to be a part of it. You could have stopped this. You could have gone home!!! [/spec ops the line voice]

Again, full plot spoilers.

The children sound like adults with a twee quirky white person flavor. At least the child with ptsd kinda has symptoms of that. Actually you know those tweets some parents make where the child says something uber deep and mature and if you think about it it's probably made up to get likes or retweets? They sound like that.

It also feels like they're sleep walking through the plot of a haunted house and trying to hit every trope without putting in the work to cohesive. The past murders, overrun garden, mysterious statues, a loving crypt with bodies, the house of leaves interior architecture without any of the HoL charm. Actually it feels like a rip off of that late [final?] season Magnus Archives architecture horror. No spoilers here for that.

You got super mysterious hippie dippie suicide cult magic which sounds like tarot card inspired rather than the tired occult, but no particular lore. It feels like someone explaining the magic system of a fantasy video game you've barely heard of, which requires either playing or 100s of hours of reading through thick dnd esque manuals to understand any of it. [aka what Dark Souls / Bloodborne lore sounds like to me]

Inexplicably the ghost women monsters have catholic names. Either they're a separate monster group or for some reason the hippie cult is made up of catholics. OK. Actually now that I finished the book I can honestly say no it’s not related to the hippie cult. They just got Latin names because it sounds cool. Idk if you’re going for a hippie nature cult, maybe rip off the names of pagan gods rather than colonizer gods. At least you can maintain the claim of returning to nature and poo poo.

The prose is standard, passable. It gets the job done, I guess. It's on par with novelization of movies, or the old star wars extended universe novels. (yeah I read them as a kid. Tenel ka my beloved) This book is very slightly the Ready Player One of haunted house books. It’s got the references to every plot point someone else did and better that you’d want. The prose desperately wants to be Deep. It'll randomly capitalize Words for Importance and it just reminds me of dnd or homestuck with nothing to prop it up with.

quote:

▪ “I guess,” and Lily sighed and put her chin against her sister’s head. “But. Well. My powers are gone now, completely and utterly. It feels lonesome without them. Like there is a great silence all around me now that wasn’t there before.”

This is the Carol Anne Poltergheist movie character, btw, if you didn't immediately get the reference.

There is so much telling like this and not enough subtextual showing. I think that annoys me the most. That my hand is held throughout every step of the book. Maybe other people like that, but I don't. Honestly it reads like that Omnipotent readers view. Whatever that book is called. ORV? That book wherein the book sets up a plot point and the Mc basically explains exactly what to do and then does that, eliminating any tension or concern for the characters. It keeps telling me there's something scary and interesting in this book and I'm not seeing it. [disclaimer if that book gets better, I wouldn't know. I quit at the apartment landlord fight. My moon pls reader app said it was about 600 hours long and I didn't not feel invested for that trip.]

Oh also there's ghosts. The usual dead tortured kid, scary lady in white, and Charles Manson minus the white supremacy. No really, the Dead cult leader is buried in the crypt and comes back to fight monsters. OK helsing junior.

All in all. Not for me. The plot is well tread and uninteresting. I don't expect every book to be unique and thrilling. I enjoy a mediocre Darcy Coates, I do. Calibre says I’ve read 15 of her books so far. But this was so uninspired. Something something vapes mimicking big tough gruff Father's and their tobacco pipes. You know what I mean. And I think that bothers me enough to make an entire Post about it. It had potential. It's like those CYOA games from whoever made Until Dawn. They sound great on paper and in adverts, but once you play them, they're don't quite live up to their own hype. At least imo, anyways.

If you read and liked this book, sorry for trashing it. I wish I liked it as much as you did, but that was not in the cards for me.

Also sorry for trashing the ORV novel a little. If that book does get better, please tell me the chapter. Because nearly five million chapters is a lot to suffer through if it doesn't get better.

As much as I disliked the ableist horror points in Adam Nevill's 'House of Small Shadows', this book made me wish I was reading that instead. At least that did a culty haunted house a lot better.

Well I think that's it. Maybe I'll actually post that 2023 recs before the year is over. Lmao!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I finished up Alex Grecian's Red Rabbit and I have to say it was just okay.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

escape artist posted:

I finished up Alex Grecian's Red Rabbit and I have to say it was just okay.

Pretty much how I felt about it too.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Made it through The Terror. The ending was definitely a choice but I didn't hate it as much as other people seem to. Certainly didn't need to be 1500 pages though, we probably could have use fewer role calls or entire chapters devoted to what different kinds of boats looked like, but overall I found it pretty engaging and enjoyed it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just read The Obsecration by Matthew Bartlett. Another fun one set in Leeds, but with little WXXT this time. One Goodreads reviewer put it like this, "Felt a lot like Hyperion; seven locals wash up at a shady diner, and the bulk of the book is each person having a long flashback about what drew them here. Then the Leeds Shrike rolls through and fucks everyone's day up."

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bilirubin posted:

Just read The Obsecration by Matthew Bartlett. Another fun one set in Leeds, but with little WXXT this time. One Goodreads reviewer put it like this, "Felt a lot like Hyperion; seven locals wash up at a shady diner, and the bulk of the book is each person having a long flashback about what drew them here. Then the Leeds Shrike rolls through and fucks everyone's day up."

I have been nagging my library to order this and When Night Cowers. Thanks for the review. loving love Bartlett's work, even though I've been priced out of a lot of his writing the way he releases it.

I am about 80% of the way through The Reformatory by Tananarive Due. I am blown away by how good it is. I am actually savoring parts of it and going back and re-reading it. It's about a reformatory, a "school for boys", in a segregated Jim Crow 1950s Florida town. I'm learning history. I am marveling at the storytelling and feeling refreshed. I'm convinced it's gonna stick the landing - I'll be back with more information once I finish it.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I'm about halfway through Adam Nevill's Last Days and I'm digging it so far, love some evil cult business. My only hangup, not even sure if it's a spoiler but oh well: Professionals using the members' corny rear end demon names instead of their real ones is insanely goofy to me. I cannot possibly imagine a grizzled old southern cop constantly call a dude "Moloch" but maybe that will make sense later, I have no idea where the second half might go.

I planned to start with House of Small Shadows but switched gears when folks here mentioned Last Days

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

R.L. Stine posted:

I'm about halfway through Adam Nevill's Last Days and I'm digging it so far, love some evil cult business. My only hangup, not even sure if it's a spoiler but oh well: Professionals using the members' corny rear end demon names instead of their real ones is insanely goofy to me. I cannot possibly imagine a grizzled old southern cop constantly call a dude "Moloch" but maybe that will make sense later, I have no idea where the second half might go.

I planned to start with House of Small Shadows but switched gears when folks here mentioned Last Days

I was confused because I thought you were talking about Brian Evenson's Last Days, which is a really fun short read about an amputation cult.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

escape artist posted:

I have been nagging my library to order this and When Night Cowers. Thanks for the review. loving love Bartlett's work, even though I've been priced out of a lot of his writing the way he releases it.

I am about 80% of the way through The Reformatory by Tananarive Due. I am blown away by how good it is. I am actually savoring parts of it and going back and re-reading it. It's about a reformatory, a "school for boys", in a segregated Jim Crow 1950s Florida town. I'm learning history. I am marveling at the storytelling and feeling refreshed. I'm convinced it's gonna stick the landing - I'll be back with more information once I finish it.

I ended up finishing The Reformatory in an insomnia-driven drive from 1-5 am the day before new years and wow, yes, it is an amazing book. I also second the fact that I'm learning history. It's worth it to stick past to the author's acknowledgements about additional reading wrt race-based issues still present in modern society. While the ending really neatly wraps everything up in a nice 'they got their just desserts' sort of way, the author mentions this is based on a family relative whose bones were just unearthed and examined in 2015, and actually never made it off the boys 'reformatory' school he was sent to back in the 20s-30s. The fact that his remains weren't evaluated until just 2015 is mind-bogglingly sad.

Badass! I love to hear that! Maybe this book would be up your alley too? It's not horror. More dystopian dark scifi kinda genre. It's certainly european and hopeless. And has political intrigue featuring a cog in the machine!

Unfortunately my Euro Dystopia book shelve is a bit small. The only other book I can think of is Leech by Hiron Ennes, and that's not really, specifically european. Definitely dystopian and hopeless. That ending still hurts to think about.

Thank you! Having lived in a Western democracy, but having the chance growing up to visit my parents' country where rampant corruption/class disparity is still sprawling makes this genre appeal to me. I suppose it's like Kafka meets Lovecraft, and that scratches some nostalgic memories I suppose

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Dark Matter was pretty fun. Poor dude was so down bad for that blond guy.

Anyway, I recall reading The Puppet King and Other Atonements and We Are Here To Hurt Each Other based on recommendations from this thread ages ago, and those were very good. I should probably read Ligotti since I think both of those were big inspirations for those books, but is there anything else with the same feeling of extreme pessimism that both of those have?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I finished Hex and really liked it a lot, thanks for whoever recommended it in the OP. I always dig witch/occult stuff and I haven’t read anything with a premise quite like this one before. It didn’t seem especially scary at first, but it ended up getting under my skin in a way I didn’t expect. Like, I found myself flipping on the light in the hall on my way to the bathroom at night, just in case there was a centuries-old witch with her eyes sewn shut lurking in the corner, lol. It’s been a long while since that happened.

I can see why some people didn’t like the ending - he certainly goes big and throws all subtlety out the window. Very much a “gently caress around and find out” ending, and I liked it.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

Whirling posted:

Anyway, I recall reading The Puppet King and Other Atonements and We Are Here To Hurt Each Other based on recommendations from this thread ages ago, and those were very good. I should probably read Ligotti since I think both of those were big inspirations for those books, but is there anything else with the same feeling of extreme pessimism that both of those have?

The Immeasurable Corpse of Nature by Cristopher Slatsky is very good and Ligotti-like in its pessimism

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

elpaganoescapa posted:

The Immeasurable Corpse of Nature by Cristopher Slatsky is very good and Ligotti-like in its pessimism

That's one book that blew me away. Definitely recommend it to Ligotti fans. I think I read the whole thing in one or two sittings because I just couldn't believe how good the prose was.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
His first collection is really good as well but the Ligotti influences in that are more obvious, some stories are almost pastiches

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Whirling posted:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59068683-we-are-happy-we-are-doomed

Also nthing Slatsky

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Been reading this hilarious but terrible manly man tom clancy adjacent horror novel and

:nws:

quote:

The snapped ends of very white bone stood from lawnmower-like gashes. Body cavities gaped empty. Some fingers were crooked, some missing at the root. Bitten off? A woman's head had been crushed to a thick, panlike sac. Even her hair was anonymous with gore, but the pubis was blond. She was, poor creature, thank God, not Kora.
:nws:

Gaydies and guys, be honest. If your girlfriend / boyfriend / whomever was mashed into a paste, would you recognize them by their pubes? #TrueLove ?

It's a shame it's so racist because it teeters the line of decently written with an interesting plot and 'oh boy you made the one black character a rape-y former slave that's also kinda still enslaved to the military because it's that or be a prisoner that'll definitely be killed in prisons because he's been transformed into a inhuman monster via insane amounts of torture by, perhaps, The Devil??' To say nothing of the sexism.

I've been reading this off and on for two years now. Maybe I'll finish it. I don't know, it usually doesn't take me this long.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Woof, that sounds rough. If I'm gonna read gross-out horror with somewhat problematic elements, I'll stick to rereading the Infected trilogy.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman is on sale, and I was curious since I loved Between Two Fires. Has anyone read this one? I'm not expecting a similar tone to Between Two Fires, but is it generally the same caliber of writing?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman is on sale, and I was curious since I loved Between Two Fires. Has anyone read this one? I'm not expecting a similar tone to Between Two Fires, but is it generally the same caliber of writing?
None of Buehlman's straight-up horror stuff really compares to BTF, but The Necromancer's House honestly felt like the weakest of the bunch. It's not very scary or interesting and the protagonist is a slimy bastard. Of course, that's all subjective.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Nothing at all like BtF, and I'd agree that it's the weakest of his horror offerings. It's not bad, merely average. Lesser Dead/Suicide Motor Club are better.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Thanks, guys. I'll skip it for now.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Following up on this, about 80% thru this book and really liking it. I especially liked the (no spoilers) early world-building that really helped flesh out the characters and intrigue, as well as the parallels to modern society.

zoux posted:

Nothing at all like BtF, and I'd agree that it's the weakest of his horror offerings. It's not bad, merely average. Lesser Dead/Suicide Motor Club are better.

I will still maintain it's not a bad read, but it definitely is more of a slow-burn character study more than the stellar horrific medieval setting with hints of supernatural flair that BtF was. I liked the interplay of mythology. I really should take more notes because aside from that it's not as memorable a read compared to BtF definitely. I'd also rec the suicide motor club/lesser dead as better novels in his ouevre.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, BttF is so insanely good and unique that it's kind of unfair to compare them to his earlier stuff. Really caught lightning in a bottle with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

fSo I've been reading stuff. Hey speaking of euro dystopia fuckery!

The Bone Mother by David Demchuk [white gay american man. Maybe some european ancestry? idk I'm not scouring the internet for #validness or whatever]

quote:

Three neighboring villages on the Ukrainian/Romanian border are the final refuge for the last of the mythical creatures of Eastern Europe. Now, on the eve of the war that may eradicate their kind—and with the ruthless Night Police descending upon their sanctuary—they tell their stories and confront their destinies.
Eerie and unsettling like the best fairy tales, these incisor-sharp portraits of ghosts, witches, sirens, and seers—and the mortals who live at their side and in their thrall—will chill your marrow and tear at your heart.

This wasn't so much a anthology of short stories, as it is a rotating one off cast of characters sharing a single experience of their lives. I thought it was an interesting set up and I liked the variety. Most of it was about historical occurrence, but there's some modern day setting. I suppose it falls under European Dystopia / Disco Elysium levels of apathetic misery.

Major content warning for explicit incest, child sexual abuse, war crimes including rape, genocide, antisemitism, anti Romani sentiment, xenophobia, and so forth], sexual abuse, rape, child abuse, domestic abuse. This is an incomplete list but that's most of the explicit ones. I mean, it's a novel about secret police and war crimes. You can guess what that involves. It's not terrble explicit or romanticized but it leaves no question what happens.

Note for trans women reading this. Skip the story about 'Green Girls'. It's basically the transmisogynistic trope of amab cis(?) boys being forced to dress / grow up as girls because childbirth rates are low and there are few female children or something.

The Dreamer's Canvas by Caleb R. Marsh [white american man]

quote:

PERCEPTION IS REALITY.
Art is all that Charlie Halloran has left.
The lone survivor of a bizarre doomsday cult that left his mind broken and his life in tatters, Charlie now ekes out a living as a struggling artist, painting forgeries for a local crime boss.
Until the nightmares begin again.

As his fragile sanity begins to crumble, Charlie is thrust back into a world he thought he had escaped—a world where reality itself is nothing more than an unfinished painting to be remade… or destroyed.
Charlie realizes that he alone possesses the power to stop the resurgent cult from enacting their catastrophic plans. But the cost of his redemption may be more than his mind can bear.
Embark on a mind-bending journey where Lovecraftian horror intertwines with urban fantasy. Can Charlie paint a new reality, or will he succumb to the madness that lurks within his soul?

This is a debut novel from someone with, for once, an interesting bio. Check it out.

quote:

Caleb R. Marsh was discovered staggering down a desert road, naked and ranting in a language unknown to man. When the authorities picked him up and were unable to find any records of his existence, he was placed in a intensive rehabilitation program to assimilate him into normal society.

Despite the best efforts of all involved, this failed miserably.

Scientists later discovered that Caleb's brain had been rotated through the 4th dimension along our known axis of reality. This knowledge was quickly hushed up and the scientists were ordered to permanent postings in an Antarctic research station.

Caleb now resides in an undisclosed government facility, where he taps out his feverish ramblings on the wall in Morse code, hoping that someone will hear and write them down. He reports that the food here isn't actually too bad.

Kinda goofy kinda silly but I enjoy it. It's certainly different than the usual bland 'I'm person with a college qualification / hobby / etc and live with my X/Y/Z. Author is represented by Publisher.

Anyways, about the book. This is Cosmic Horror and not borrowed Lovecraft maybe with the serial numbers filed off. Not that there's anything bad about that, but I can appreciate a author trying to create an original myth. See also Hailey Piper, John Langan. It wasn't as original as Piper's lore from 'No Gods For Drowning'. Honestly it felt slightly stale? Like ok, you got the Unborn Mother that's oddly gendered even though it's a big ol mind melting blob? It felt a bit standard and I wouldnt be surprised if there was a male equivalent. Not to be all trans about it, but man, the whole gendering the genderless cosmic horror eldritch blobs feels ridiculous at this point. But I'll digress here. The action was decent and I liked the plot twist of the cult's involvement. It was pretty heartfelt. I also appreciated the attempt to include some female characters so it wasn't a total frat party.

By the way, if you want Art Horror with Eldritch Horror, check out this one. I've mentioned it before ITT but it's worth repeating.

It Rides a Pale Horse by Andy Marino

quote:

From a new star in horror fiction comes a terrifying novel of obsession, greed, and the shocking actions we’ll take to protect those we love, all set in a small town filled with dark secrets.
The Larkin siblings are known around the small town of Wofford Falls. Both are artists, but Peter Larkin, Lark to his friends, is the hometown hero. The one who went to the big city and got famous, then came back and settled down. He’s the kind of guy who becomes fast friends with almost anyone. His sister Betsy on the other hand is more… eccentric. She keeps to herself.
When Lark goes to deliver one of his latest pieces to a fabulously rich buyer, it seems like a regular transaction. Even being met at the gate of the sprawling, secluded estate by an intimidating security guard seems normal. Until the guard plays him a live feed: Betsy being abducted in real time.
Lark is informed that she’s safe for now, but her well‑being is entirely in his hands. He's given a book. Do what the book says, and Betsy will go free.
It seems simple enough. But as Lark begins to read he realizes: the book might be demonic. Its writer may be unhinged. His sister's captors are almost certainly not what they seem. And his town and those within it are... changing.
And the only way out is through.
About the Author
Andy Marino was born in upstate New York, spent half his life in New York City, and now lives in the Hudson Valley. He works as a freelance writer.

We Ate the Dark by Mallory Pearson

quote:

Four women investigating the haunting murder of their friend discover more than they ever imagined in a terrifying novel about good and evil, love and death, and the spaces between.

Five years after Sofia Lyon disappeared, her remains are found stuffed into the hollow of a tree bursting through the floorboards of an abandoned house in the woods. The women who loved her flock home to the North Carolina hills to face their grief.

Frankie, Sofia’s twin, is in furious mourning. Poppy is heartbroken. Cass has never felt more homesick. And Marya knows something the rest of them don’t. Determined to find Sofia’s murderer, they share more than a need to see justice done for their friend. Each woman is haunted, bound to the next by something both cruel and kind, and now stalked by a shadowy presence they’ve yet to understand. Only to question, and to fear.

As Sofia’s secrets unravel, so do those of the woods, and the women soon realize that Sofia might not be who they thought she was at all. And that whoever—or whatever—killed her is coming after them.

Ok I ain't doing the stupid thing of 'the female version of male author' but I feel this is very up there and equatable to John Langan's 'The Fisherman'. Weird house, big on family ties, cosmic edritch fuckery, bad deals that gently caress over everyone, excellent prose. I'm not saying they're exact or similar copies of each other, please don't go in expecting that. But man, the creepy monster, the cast of characters being mainly women, the creepy 'is it haunted or?' house, the small town locale. I'm putting this on my forever rec list.

Also I have a little bone to pick re lgbt content, specifically lesbian and trans. Major spoilers.
Yes it's about lesbian and maybe bisexual relationships, but it's never quite fulfilled, always bashful, teenaged, in the background, past wishes and occurences. The closest we get to actual present lesbian relationship is at the very end.
I say 'maybe bisexual' because apparently bisexual is a filthy word and authors rarely if ever say it. [or maybe I read the wrong books. Sure.] Yes one teenage girl tries to have a relationship with a boy her age. Apparently she's either trying to make herself be heterosexual or bisexual but only dating men because it's safer in a small town like hers. Who knows the reason, if there is one at all. I don't think it's q slur baiting but it does feel like blueballing. Personally I was expecting some declarations of lesbianism to others but that didn't really happen. Which I understand, there's a whole lot of hosed up poo poo happening in the middle of multi-year mourning for a dead sister / friend.

Anyways.

Eye of a Little God by A. J. Steiger [white american woman]

quote:

The Painted Man is here. I feel him in the darkness. He says, "If you let me in, I'll make the pain stop." God help me, I want to let him.After losing his delivery job – the last thing binding him to an empty life - Eddie Luther, veteran and drifter, drives into the snowy woods with a bottle of sleeping pills. But instead of eternal silence, Eddie hears a whisper inside his damaged ear.

Help me.

He follows the call and finds a cryptic journal filled with loneliness and longing, a journal whose words seem written for him alone. Guided by the clues in its pages, he embarks on a journey into a shadowy world beneath the small town of Devil's Fork, Nebraska – a world where girls become cats, televisions whisper prophecies, and only those cast out of society can see and use magic . . .

Or maybe Eddie's sanity is slipping. All he knows for sure is that he's falling in love with someone he's never seen, someone who may be more than human – and who will change everything he thinks he knows about the world and his place in it.

Oh I know a lot of people wax poetic about grief as horror and I won't do that here. But man, this was great. Weird mystery, strange journal, magic, some body horror, the MC isn't a resident evil esque buff tuff guy who knows combat despite being in the Vietnam war, there's multiple women characters that are not incompetent or dress setting.

Also this isn't the usual 'sad man looking for missing woman'. I mean yes it is but I think the twist is uncommon enough for a person to go 'ah, that was kinda nice and not a stale sexist trope about resuing damsels who automatically fall in love with the hero for no drat reason beyond pussy is reward for hero man'.

This Wretched Valley by Jenny Kiefer [white american woman]

quote:

Take only pictures. Leave only bones.

This trip is going to be Dylan’s big break. Her geologist friend Clay has discovered an untouched cliff face in the Kentucky wilderness, and she is going to be the first person to climb it. Together with Clay, his research assistant Sylvia, and Dylan’s boyfriend Luke, Dylan is going to document her achievement on Instagram and finally cement her place as the next rising star in rock climbing.

Seven months later, three bodies are discovered in the trees just off the highway. All are in various states of decay: one a stark, white skeleton; the second emptied of its organs; and the third a mutilated corpse with the tongue, eyes, ears, and fingers removed.

But Dylan is still missing—and no trace of her, dead or alive, has been discovered.

Were the climbers murdered? Did they succumb to cannibalism? Or are their impossible bodies the work of an even more sinister force?

This dread-inducing debut builds to a bloodcurdling climax, and will leave you shocked by the final twist.

This is some great forest horror / location horror. I don't want to spoil too much not mentioned in the summary, but if you liked Briardark by S A Harian and some gruesome horror, you'd probably like this one. [Unfortunately, imo, this doesn't rank as high as, nor is too similar to Briardark. Please don't expect too much similarities.]

If you seen this elsewhere, you might've noticed the comparison to the infamous creepypasta type, true crime before there was a big true crime boom. The dyatlov pass incident . Uhhh not really. I'd say that's more of a hook rather than anything accurate to the story. The most similarities I see is yes people died in mysterious circumstances in a isolated location. That's all.

Also a one off rec. Horror Hill podcast, Season 2 Episode 7. It's All the Same Road in the End By Brian Hodge. First published in The Mammoth Book of Cthulhu [not sure which edition, sorry. Apparently 2016 version?]

quote:

"Two brothers set out in the rural midwest to discover the fate of their grandfather who went missing fifty years prior, leaving behind only an enigmatic 'song' and a photo of an unidentified woman. "

It's reminiscent of White Tears in that the missing grandfather was looking to record obscure folk songs, and went missing trying to find one bizarre Swedish(?) cattle call song which, OMG!, may not have been a call to cattle but, perhaps, something darker.... However it's about white people, not Black people, or the appropriation thereof. The podcast does a decent job of narration but if you prefer the written word, it's in the Mammoth Book compilation.

Well that's all.