Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm a little amazed "Sark Tank" hasn't gotten any traction after this season. Maybe next year if we go undefeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Welp, RIP a decent Arizona football program

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There's a way better chance of Fisch going to the NFL than UF

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

All UW coaches will only be here two years from now on, except for our basketball coach who will be mediocre forever but we will never be able to fire.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edna Mode posted:

All UW coaches will only be here two years from now on, except for our basketball coach who will be mediocre forever but we will never be able to fire.

Like honestly in Basketball given the type of players Washington usually recruits (oafs and good PGs) they're built to do well in the Big 10.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rick posted:

This is a really lovely way to phrase this. It's "not a priority" because the entire school is broke. Sorry paying the football coach was something they left to the end of the month when students may not be able to take classes and literally hundreds of people are going to lose their jobs. loving rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, I feel for you, because I know a few people on UA's IT staff who are making GBS threads breaks right now about whether they'll still have a job soon... It sucks.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LeeMajors posted:

Washington has had a pretty decent hit rate on head coaches and a good enough history to recruit well on the west coast. I think the Big Ten profile is higher too.

Obviously this a huge setback and I’m gutted for y’all but it wouldn’t surprise me if you managed to hire a pretty great replacement.

Just quoting because it appears they did just fine again.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Sidenote, Napier is absolutely getting fired next year, the UF schedule is brutal:

I agree with whoever it was that said Fisch is more likely NFL bound than UF. I don’t really think UF is a better job than UW anymore anyway.

And yeah that schedule is loving murder and I see almost no way he succeeds unless we get some big time sleeper development over the next few months.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Whoever takes the Arizona job will be in hell for a while—almost a quarter of a billion dollars in debt. NIL is at 0. Recruits leaving. Players leaving. Sheesh.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/JustinESports/status/1746682993836736572
Lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

well, do you think he's leaving after that

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Whoever takes the Arizona job will be in hell for a while—almost a quarter of a billion dollars in debt. NIL is at 0. Recruits leaving. Players leaving. Sheesh.

Holy poo poo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

arizona should hire Herm.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Truther Vandross posted:

I’d always heard that was his dream job so who knows

Maybe he shouldn’t have worked for the snake man. Dems da breaks.

Honestly with the bad recruiting haul this year and the way DeBoer left, Grubb (rightfully) never had a shot with the big donors.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

I mean this is better than an 8 minute rambling speech where the players don't know what the gently caress your plan is until the end of it?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A Sneaker Broker posted:

How did this happen? I’ve heard about issues in West Virginia but I haven’t heard anything about Arizona dealing with similar poo poo

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

DC Murderverse posted:

How did this happen? I’ve heard about issues in West Virginia but I haven’t heard anything about Arizona dealing with similar poo poo

Think it was an accountant loving up the school budget by something like half a billion dollars

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pillsburysoldier posted:

Think it was an accountant loving up the school budget by something like half a billion dollars

Long story short, as Pillsburysoldier said, an accountant who was in charge of overseeing UofA's Athletic Department budget overstepped and realized their spending well beyond anything they had actually accounted for. They are $240mil under and multiple sports programs there will be ripped to shreds because of it.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
One loving good year and we lose the coach and (presumably) all the good players. Glad I didn't buy season tickets. I get it, it's a business, but that stings. I feel bad for all the players.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
$240 million seems well beyond the bounds of simple incompetence. There has to be theft going on there right?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Spacemonkey57 posted:

$240 million seems well beyond the bounds of simple incompetence. There has to be theft going on there right?

We won't know the full details till at least this summer. It may get swept under the rug regardless.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

So that $240M shortfall is just in the athletic department? I don't understand how that can happen.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

so much good food here and they show Eminem's joke restaurant.

e: wrong thread

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, I feel for you, because I know a few people on UA's IT staff who are making GBS threads breaks right now about whether they'll still have a job soon... It sucks.

ASITS is a hell of a thing

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Arizona board of regents requires universities to keep 180 days of cash on hand, and as of December, the UA was short of that, with only ~90 days of cash on hand, a shortfall of 240M

About 90 of that was a loan to the athletics dept for the COVID years, a bunch was because of the insane purchase of the for profit online university that became UA Online, and the rest is distributed amongst other departments who have not realized projected philanthropic gifts.

This has been a convenient excuse to centralize IT, HR, and Finance, rather than it being per dept. If one were to put on the conspiracy goggles, this looks like a way to managerially restrict all the departments to make sure they know they answer to the Regents.

Anyway, the athletics dept is under no real risk, of it gets tough they'll ask Paul and Alice Baker to give another multimillion dollar gift

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 15, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I mean, things were grim when Fisch came in and that hiring was seen as kind of a joke at the time and it worked out okay. Maybe they’ll stroked gold twice. Or maybe they’ll just hire Jerry Kill.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ninja Bob posted:

One loving good year and we lose the coach and (presumably) all the good players. Glad I didn't buy season tickets. I get it, it's a business, but that stings. I feel bad for all the players.

I've been maintaining a season ticket for the last three years even though I functionally cannot attend games in a covid world. I've kind of made the decision that even if I can somehow find gainful employment by the time the payment is due is to just finally let it go since neither the world or my health is going to magically change any time soon but I feel pretty bad about the timing of hopping off.

Qwijib0 posted:

The Arizona board of regents requires universities to keep 180 days of cash on hand, and as of December, the UA was short of that, with only ~90 days of cash on hand, a shortfall of 240M

About 90 of that was a loan to the athletics dept for the COVID years, a bunch was because of the insane purchase of the for profit online university that became UA Online, and the rest is distributed amongst other departments who have not realized projected philanthropic gifts.

This has been a convenient excuse to centralize IT, HR, and Finance, rather than it being per dept. If one were to put on the conspiracy goggles, this looks like a way to managerially restrict all the departments to make sure they know they answer to the Regents.

Anyway, the athletics dept is under no real risk, of it gets tough they'll ask Paul and Alice Baker to give another multimillion dollar gift

On the one hand the way that the UA handles(d?) IT was a bureaucratic nightmare. On the other hand though it mostly worked and I have a feeling when they centralize it, it's going to be a nightmare that actually causes problems other than being annoying. Like yeah there's theoretical overlap but like there are very few one-size-fits-all solutions to the needs of the various departments.

Also that online university thing was really a hell of a scam. When they announced it they said "oh it's a one dollar deal." I guess no one bothered to look at the rest of the cost.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I forgot about the Ashford University thing. One of my friends got his "Masters" from there. His job paid for 100 percent of it, otherwise he would have never bothered. Turns out he was in the first tranche that got University of Arizona degrees. He called it the most prestigious diploma mill around.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sash! posted:

He called it the most prestigious diploma mill around.

Oh I thought that was “Purdue University Global”

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
OK, their wiki page is a loving adventure

quote:

Origin as TeleUniversity 1999–2001

University of Arizona Global Campus claims a history dating back to 1918. The school, however, has stronger roots with TeleUniversity, an online school created by entrepreneur Michael K. Clifford in 1999.

Charter Learning 2001–2003

In 2001, the company changed leadership with co-founders Wayne Clugston, Scott Turner, and David Vande Pol. TeleUniversity was renamed Charter Learning with a focus on helping working adults complete their bachelor's degree while attending their community college. Charter Learning provided American Council on Education credit-recommended upper division curriculum in Organizational Management, the Maricopa Community College system provided the lower division coursework and instruction, and Charter Oak State College granted the degree. In 2003, Warburg Pincus, a private equity firm, invested in Charter Learning and the name changed to Bridgepoint Education. In 2005, Bridgepoint Education purchased the small Franciscan University of the Prairies campus in Clinton, Iowa, retained the school's valuable accreditation, and renamed it Ashford University. Most of Ashford University's students, however, were enrolled to learn exclusively online and the campus closed in May 2016.

Catholic colleges: 1918–2005

Seeing a need for higher education in Clinton County, Iowa, and the surrounding area, the Sisters of Saint Francis founded Mount St. Clare College in 1918. This liberal arts institution was also an approved teacher education college from 1932 to 1954. In 1942, 60% of the rural teachers in Clinton County and 62% of the teachers in the city of Clinton school system had received all their training from Mount St. Clare College. In 1950, the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools first accredited Mount St. Clare College. The college acquired a convent building, new library, new gymnasium, the Science Building, and Durham Residence Hall and became coeducational in 1967.[citation needed] The 24-acre (9.7 ha) campus was about a half mile from the Mississippi River and about a mile north of U.S. Route 30. The most notable building on campus was St. Clare Hall, which served as the Mount St. Clare Convent, Novitiate, Academy, and College. Durham and Regis Halls provided residence to on campus students.[citation needed] For the 1979–1980 school year, the college received approval for its first four-year degree, a bachelor's program in business administration. The same year, Mount St. Clare Academy merged with St. Mary's High School in Clinton, forming Mater Dei High School (now known as Prince of Peace Preparatory). With the space freed by the academy's merger, the school began to offer more four-year programs. In 1997, the sisters moved off campus into their new mother house, The Canticle. In 1998, the Durgin Educational Center was opened, which included new athletic facilities, including Kehl arena.[citation needed] In 2003, Mount St. Clare College changed its name to The Franciscan University. The university also offered its first master's degree online. In September 2004, the school modified its name to The Franciscan University of the Prairies in order to avoid confusion with similarly named schools.

Ashford University: 2005–2020
For-profit enrollment boom (2005–2012)

Charter Learning acquired the financially failing Catholic college to gain regional accreditation and access to federal funds. After the sale, the institution's name was changed to Ashford University. In 2010, Ashford University was highlighted in College, Inc., a PBS Frontline exposé about for-profit colleges. In June 2012, WASC denied initial accreditation to Ashford University. Following WASC's denial of accreditation for being, according to Insider Higher Ed, "lacking in several areas, including low numbers of full-time faculty, high student dropout rates and questions about academic rigor," WASC demanded additional information from Ashford prior to an October site visit. Its second application was accepted in 2013. In approving accreditation, the WASC Commission Action Letter stated "The Commission found that the University has responded to Commission concerns and judges that it is now in substantial compliance with Commission standards." The WASC visiting team noted in its final report that "the team found an institution that has been fundamentally transformed and whose culture has been changed in significant ways, including a shift from a market driven approach to an institution committed to student retention and success". At its meeting June 26–28, 2019, the WASC Senior College and University Commission acted to reaffirm Ashford's accreditation through Spring 2025.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Komet posted:

So that $240M shortfall is just in the athletic department? I don't understand how that can happen.

It's like ignoring child rape, but with money

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The portal is about to go A-Wall.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

whos that broooown posted:

It's like ignoring child rape, but with money

Some money's missing, but it's Friday afternoon and you don't want to ruin anyone's weekend

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Saban is causing the most enormous domino effect. He still reigns supreme over CFB even after he retired.

I still think that a football player fake pissing in the endzone had a bigger domino effect but this is pretty big.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/thewolverineon3/status/1746920424108130509?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
drat, that's a really big surprise. His plan was to be featured last year (until Blake came back), then turn pro. JJ heading out likely means they'll really need him for way more weird poo poo than this year.

Edit for below: Happy Harbruary! Going to be a long few weeks!

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 15, 2024

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/On3sports/status/1746890909600407674

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

lordy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The fact that he’s interviewing is barely even news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It's weird that he doesn't know that this would be a step down for him.