Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I strongly suspect the fire punch connections are about to become even MORE direct.

Seigi Akoku looks exactly like Agni (and has been frequently depicted punching things), it's recently been revealed that most of the stories events are because of the Fire Devil, the narrative appears to be setting up an "old protagonist vs. new protagonist" battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Last Celebration posted:

And now I wonder how much of Fire Punch was plotted, like did he know all along that he wanted Agni to get mind wiped and named after Sun, and was that done just so we had the ending of “Sun” and “Luna” reconnecting after countless years before walking out of the theater (love that whole death metaphor btw)? I kinda just take it for granted that shonen authors are winging it except on the broadest strokes because of the format, but I guess Fire Punch was relatively short so it’s not out of the question.

Fire Punch feels like Fujimoto had the broadest outline and at some point just said "gently caress it, let's hit the high notes" and hit us with a tree. He got out a lot of ideas he would later revisit in more depth and in a more approachable manner. I love FP so much for that. You really feel like Fujimoto has this one shot at a widely published series and just went for it.

And yes, everything with the theatre as a death metaphor is lovely. For a series so obviously critical of organised religion as a means of asserting power it clearly respects the idea of faith as a source of communal comfort.

Popo fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 17, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Your quote broke the spoiler tags, might wanna edit that, friend.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Real life Events reminding me of chainsaw man.

https://x.com/ClubPhotos_/status/1748536079261556840?s=20

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

This happened to my roommate. I really want to watch chainsaw man with him if only for this scene :devil:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
New chapter! :smith:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chainsaw-man-chapter-153/chapter/41161?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019708

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
save him, nayuta!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I don't even really have poo poo to say this is just very good and we're really back to every chapter feeling just shot through with dread.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

No break next week, too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am starting to fear the dogs really may be hot.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah:smith:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

oh right this manga is depressing, almost forgot

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
everything is coming up milhouse... :smithicide:

Nayuta asking "you don't want to be with me" and not getting a response. then their look when snapping into action later was chilling and reminded me of Makima

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
thank god asa mitaka is going to return and rescue denji from this unending cycle of despair

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Denji's life being a shambles makes me sad :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gotta be real had a dark chuckle at "IF YOU NEED A FIRE THERE'S A BIG ONE BURNING DOWN MY APARTMENT BUILDING!!"

Denji...:smith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Denji's life is at a real low point right now and just gonna keep getting lower.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Great googly moogly, everything’s going to poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Feelin fine

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Nayuta is a good girl, imo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImpAtom posted:

no. no.. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
okay, but what about the cat? i'm sure it is okay.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

cat would have abandoned the dogs and saved itself for sure

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

they're all safe, huskies would just burrow through the walls to freedom

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Huskies are just simply immune to fire

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Meowy is a survivor and has lived through worse bullshit than this, I wouldn't be surprised if she escaped by squeezing out a window or a hole in the wall because cats are secretly a boneless liquid.

The dogs are dead.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Meowy is a cat that belonged to Power. I have to hope that the chutzpah level was exponentially magnified enough to get through this.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Meowy definitely escaped and locked the doors behind them

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Meowy started the fire, Flamethrower just took credit.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I have this sinking feeling that Nayuta is going to die

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Flair posted:

I don't think so. There's so many worse things she can suffer instead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flair posted:

People have been predicting that almost every week for over a year now, and it feels as odd a read to me now as it did then.

Chainsaw Man part 1's primary dynamic was Denji, Pochita, and the Control Devil. Three broken people trying to love and be loved. The ending chapter is the resolution to that, with the new Control Devil finally finding the equal relationship Makima wanted all along.

Killing Nayuta off loses the resolution to part 1 in exchange for cheap shock value. And while Fujimoto loves shocks, he doesn't go for them at the cost of emotional connection. (He even killed Power twice to make sure of that.)

Further, it also removes one of the contrasts between Denji and Asa with the whole parasocial relationships thing. Asa and Denji have both been using parasocial relationships to compensate for what they're lacking in real relationships, but Denji has the real thing to let him stay centered (not sane, of course. He's still Denji), while Asa has no-one and is spiraling. We even get more in that line from their interactions with their public safety watchers. Denji and Fumiko connect. They talk, they touch, they banter, they've got shared experience. Meanwhile, Asa crushes hard on Yoshida, but he's intentionally distant.

Killing Nayuta hurts the contrast, which the manga has been working to build everywhere else.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

And while Fujimoto loves shocks, he doesn't go for them at the cost of emotional connection. (He even killed Power twice to make sure of that.)

???

in terms of emotional connection i think losing natuya would be worse at this point-- especially pending a pet escape caper, she's basically all he has left

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 24, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

stuker posted:

???

in terms of emotional connection i think losing natuya would be worse at this point-- especially pending a pet escape caper, she's basically all he has left

I meant emotional connection for the reader. We've seen "Denji loses everything" before, and a repeat's a bad exchange for every bit of character progression in part 1.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Eimi posted:

I don't think so. There's so many worse things she can suffer instead.

There are worse things for her, but that would be one of the worst for Denji

chiasaur11 posted:

Killing Nayuta off loses the resolution to part 1 in exchange for cheap shock value. And while Fujimoto loves shocks, he doesn't go for them at the cost of emotional connection. (He even killed Power twice to make sure of that.)

Further, it also removes one of the contrasts between Denji and Asa with the whole parasocial relationships thing. Asa and Denji have both been using parasocial relationships to compensate for what they're lacking in real relationships, but Denji has the real thing to let him stay centered (not sane, of course. He's still Denji), while Asa has no-one and is spiraling. We even get more in that line from their interactions with their public safety watchers. Denji and Fumiko connect. They talk, they touch, they banter, they've got shared experience. Meanwhile, Asa crushes hard on Yoshida, but he's intentionally distant.

Killing Nayuta hurts the contrast, which the manga has been working to build everywhere else.

If anything, what you outlined here is part of why I am thinking that she will suffer a fate that makes it worse for Denji. Nayuta is what Denji got from part 1, and in the current chapter, he knowingly made a choice that put her at risk (even though he also did it to help her). Having her die would be consequence of his own actions. Also now that Asa's relationship with Yoshida has finally resolved to a destructive fight but no dies (yet), having Denji trying to save Nayuta but she ends up dying would be a great contrast.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Denji is going to rip and tear until it is finished.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Nayuta dying would not be the worst thing for Denji. Nayuta going full Makima, forcing Denji to kill her himself on the other hand...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Huskies are just simply immune to fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ZiegeDame posted:

Nayuta dying would not be the worst thing for Denji. Nayuta going full Makima, forcing Denji to kill her himself on the other hand...

oh, oh no I'm not ready for loss of a child poo poo because of your own selfishness. thus repeating the cycle of Chainsawman wherein they are unable to keep people close to them. doesn't really matter if you're friend or foe and in the end you get cut :smithicide: