Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Pyrtanis posted:

Dumb poo poo Your Work Does: Go gently caress yourself, you absolute potato, ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

"Anyone with a company laptop must use remote desktop to work during WFH. If you don't have a company machine, you cannot use remote desktop to access your PC at work and must use Outlook and teams and cannot access any files on the server."

Hmmm. What are the laptop people tempting into?

They've also demanded we not only use Microsoft 2FA, which is whatever, but they wanted us to download some enterprise poo poo to put out personal devices on....something?

I lol'd and just logged in via remote desktop anyway. These people don't know anything. I've been accessing remote desktop with my phone while I'm in meetings to pull up data and at no point has our outsourced IT team flagged it nor has anyone in house noticed anything suspicious.

The CPA did her rounds, I was the last person she sat and shadowed and talked to. I'm getting the strong impression that she's got real low expectations because boy did some of her questions paint a picture.

"how difficult does this new system make your job?"

We've been using it for 2+ years. It's Netsuite. It's not complicated. But we've got no in house body of experience and the issues we have are staffing, not systemic. The people who complain have taken zero effort to try anything.

And I don't mean the "gently caress that, I don't get paid to do that" I mean poo poo like "oh when I got to process a payment the system bogs down because there's too many invoices to process" and they refuse to filter the options by a date range. Which has straight up solved the issue on every machine we've tried that on.

This should be good.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sometimes i think people fake being tech-incompetent just so they can get away with not doing their jobs.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Update on the slow trainwreck that is my company.

Out of 9 people in the design team, one is willing to do the move down to the workshop.

Got a meeting tomorrow where I will attempt to negotiate with the director/CEO to allow the team to operate from the city or fully remote while I'm down there as a point of contact.

Wheels are proper coming off this time, feel like the move might be a way of cutting team size and costs down without more rounds of redundancies.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Space Kablooey posted:

Sometimes i think people fake being tech-incompetent just so they can get away with not doing their jobs.

Same but doing poo poo they know they shouldn't.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Ravus Ursus posted:

They've also demanded we not only use Microsoft 2FA, which is whatever,

This one came up at my work. We change passwords quarterly. After doing that, we get pop ups to the effect of "you have used the X option 2/3 times. After that you must use Microsoft Authenticator app"

Just nope. Deleting outlook from my phone was one of the easiest, most liberating things I have done at work. My phone has only 1 work app (my timekeeper app, because I do like to get paid), because it, you know, my phone.

We're also pushed to putting an isnnetworld app on there to prove training certs but again, nope.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
you can keep re-upping your LinkedIn request to connect all day, HR guy, it's never going to happen

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I volunteered to help someone at short notice at work, like an idiot, late last week. Doing something I don't usually do and what turned out to be quite a big job. Whatever, I started doing it. Friday, the boss who i volunteered to help gets sick and doesn't come in. Over the weekend I get sick, Monday I get told by numerous people to log off by lunch because I look that bad and the boss is still not in.

I get the work done to what I think is a reasonable standard a day early and post a link to the file so people could change it if they want to, explaining I'm logging off because I'm ill. I load up my email this morning to re-arrange meetings happening today because I'm still ill and see I have numerous emails and missed phone calls from the boss's boss asking me to change things about the work. You get paid multiple tens of thousands of dollars more than me, you can't read your emails?! When I reply to them saying I can't do what they went, they say 'these things happen, maybe someone else of your level can make these changes?' As if I'm supposed to find someone else to do it.

Get hosed, Jesus christ.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Olewithmilk posted:

'these things happen, maybe someone else of your level can make these changes?'

"Maybe."

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Space Kablooey posted:

Wouldn't be the first time I pretended I couldn't replace the hp laser printer's paper to get out of doing something worthless.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

McGavin posted:

"Maybe."

That is exactly what I wanted to write. Then again, maybe not, seeing as though no one else 'of my level' volunteered to help in the first place, including people who should actually be doing it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Olewithmilk posted:

I volunteered to help someone at short notice at work, like an idiot, late last week. Doing something I don't usually do and what turned out to be quite a big job. Whatever, I started doing it. Friday, the boss who i volunteered to help gets sick and doesn't come in. Over the weekend I get sick, Monday I get told by numerous people to log off by lunch because I look that bad and the boss is still not in.

I get the work done to what I think is a reasonable standard a day early and post a link to the file so people could change it if they want to, explaining I'm logging off because I'm ill. I load up my email this morning to re-arrange meetings happening today because I'm still ill and see I have numerous emails and missed phone calls from the boss's boss asking me to change things about the work. You get paid multiple tens of thousands of dollars more than me, you can't read your emails?! When I reply to them saying I can't do what they went, they say 'these things happen, maybe someone else of your level can make these changes?' As if I'm supposed to find someone else to do it.

Get hosed, Jesus christ.

This is why they make tens of thousands more, they delegate!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Because management doesn't manage in the slightest, some people spun up a grassroots "mentorship program". The pilot project wrapped up and a retrospective was held.

lovely coworker: "I think we should change how mentors and mentees are matched, because I signed up as a mentor and didn't get any matches??"

That means noone asked for your mentorship. Maybe reflect on that, dude

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Space Kablooey posted:

Weaponized incompetence is 100% a thing, yeah

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have definitely hidden my years of professional computer touching to get away with not having to do some tedious poo poo I didn’t feel like doing when fortune has smiled on me with some IT issue.

We have an IT department, they can fix it. I’m practically a job creator here!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Look, if you're not going to give me a raise I'm not going to raise my computer skills. It's called shrinkflation motherfucker.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ravus Ursus posted:

"Anyone with a company laptop must use remote desktop to work during WFH. If you don't have a company machine, you cannot use remote desktop to access your PC at work and must use Outlook and teams and cannot access any files on the server."

Hmmm. What are the laptop people tempting into?

They've also demanded we not only use Microsoft 2FA, which is whatever, but they wanted us to download some enterprise poo poo to put out personal devices on....something?

I lol'd and just logged in via remote desktop anyway. These people don't know anything. I've been accessing remote desktop with my phone while I'm in meetings to pull up data and at no point has our outsourced IT team flagged it nor has anyone in house noticed anything suspicious.

The CPA did her rounds, I was the last person she sat and shadowed and talked to. I'm getting the strong impression that she's got real low expectations because boy did some of her questions paint a picture.

"how difficult does this new system make your job?"

We've been using it for 2+ years. It's Netsuite. It's not complicated. But we've got no in house body of experience and the issues we have are staffing, not systemic. The people who complain have taken zero effort to try anything.

And I don't mean the "gently caress that, I don't get paid to do that" I mean poo poo like "oh when I got to process a payment the system bogs down because there's too many invoices to process" and they refuse to filter the options by a date range. Which has straight up solved the issue on every machine we've tried that on.

This should be good.

if you had your phone on my network to where you could RDP lol man youd find me in your office asking you just what in the gently caress you were thinking. but apparently your IT department just sucks

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zedprime posted:

Look, if you're not going to give me a raise I'm not going to raise my computer skills. It's called shrinkflation motherfucker.

I think of it more of a subscription service, like car manufacturers are doing with remote start and heated seats etc.

If you don't pay for a skillset you don't get access to it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
these dicks just understand capitalism when it benefits them they hate it when you play the game better.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

if you had your phone on my network to where you could RDP lol man youd find me in your office asking you just what in the gently caress you were thinking. but apparently your IT department just sucks
Gonna depend on your flavor of RDP probably. Gross instances of AVD and similar competing cloud desktops have started to replace VPN for BYOD without policy control and I can only assume they are extremely firewalled.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i just meant like your phone is straight rdping into a desktop on the lan without anything. if there is a client and some security delivering it sure whatever.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

zedprime posted:

This post is one of my spirit animals.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

zedprime posted:

Wouldn't shrinkflation be more of you using less of your skills without a raise? Less product for same cost.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So after being told "help isn't coming" and getting passed over for a program manager position for an outside hire that would act as a stooge, I reached out to one of my leaders from my last job and he was like "when I told the director of engineering you asked about opportunities to come back he smiled from ear to ear" and then said "I'll make a position for you, just sit tight for a couple weeks and I'll text you"

I forgot what being appreciated feels like, lol.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JackSplater posted:

Wouldn't shrinkflation be more of you using less of your skills without a raise? Less product for same cost.

I think thats called a career

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

hell yeah

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The owners called me and went on a soapbox about how I need to answer her Teams calls. Apparently I missed the first one. Midway through the call someone calls her and she freaks out about how much she hates WFH because it's the fifth time she's had to explain the same thing.

Not sure how that's any different from abnormal day but ok.

But she wlstarted going on about a vendor who was bragging about all this data he could gather for us that we could use for cost and metrics. I told her this is all data I already have.

"Well why don't I see it?"

I wasn't aware you wanted to know how many cubic meters of a container was filled with Chinese air. But I can tell you if you want.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

We don't have an IT department. We have a third party company were told to not use because they charge us hourly. So if you have issues you're supposed to contact HR.

The HR person's response is to call the IT company.

I was looking over the line charges for a bill.

>Fwd fwd: I cant log into a hospital site to schedule appts. Pls fix.

It's good poo poo.

pumped up for school posted:

This one came up at my work. We change passwords quarterly. After doing that, we get pop ups to the effect of "you have used the X option 2/3 times. After that you must use Microsoft Authenticator app"

Just nope. Deleting outlook from my phone was one of the easiest, most liberating things I have done at work. My phone has only 1 work app (my timekeeper app, because I do like to get paid), because it, you know, my phone.

We're also pushed to putting an isnnetworld app on there to prove training certs but again, nope.

I don't have notifications active for any of that poo poo. The 2FA was so I could access outlook365 on my desktop.

Fun fact. I cancelled out and logged back in and it just gave me access. :shrug:

Space Kablooey posted:

I think it's less faking and more just being that loving stupid. Like, considering the frequency the kitchen sinks are clogged because people scrap their food into the sink and fixing off, I do think we could fire half the people here and see an increase in productivity because we aren't changing diapers all day.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 17, 2024

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Our contract with our primary partner lapsed almost a year ago and this morning we awoke to an email from on high requesting a 5-10 minute slide deck presentation from everyone about all of the work we've done on the contract partner's tasks since then. Deadline for slides is noon lmao

If it sounds like it doesn't make sense you're reading it right

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Make a slide that says “Nothing.” with the presenter notes saying “Stare at the camera for 10 minutes.”

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Got a company wide email from the CEO today about the current status of the company while we wait for the next round of the state commerce commission to review the long term plan /rate structure. This update basically stated that until there is certainty in the future, external hiring is all but shut down. The odd thing was it said especially for level 5 and above.

For reference, level 5 is department managers, and level 6 is directors. Not that the company was externally hiring straight into those roles a lot, but it was happening occasionally.

With the amount of currently open positions throughout the company, it is pretty obvious they are just essentially doing a shadow layoff, just eliminate all the unfilled positions, and hope everything just shuffles on. We will see how that goes.

Makes me consider reaching back out to operations to see if I can go back on shift as a dispatcher. Get more money and some insulation for on the inevitable waves of layoffs/other stupidity that will come if the next round of rate plans get trashed by the commerce commission.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have definitely hidden my years of professional computer touching to get away with not having to do some tedious poo poo I didn’t feel like doing when fortune has smiled on me with some IT issue.

Same, I went back to school because being an IT grunt was terrible. At least I know how to explain my problem clearly to them, and reboot before reaching out!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Orvin posted:

Got a company wide email from the CEO today about the current status of the company while we wait for the next round of the state commerce commission to review the long term plan /rate structure. This update basically stated that until there is certainty in the future, external hiring is all but shut down. The odd thing was it said especially for level 5 and above.

For reference, level 5 is department managers, and level 6 is directors. Not that the company was externally hiring straight into those roles a lot, but it was happening occasionally.

With the amount of currently open positions throughout the company, it is pretty obvious they are just essentially doing a shadow layoff, just eliminate all the unfilled positions, and hope everything just shuffles on. We will see how that goes.

Makes me consider reaching back out to operations to see if I can go back on shift as a dispatcher. Get more money and some insulation for on the inevitable waves of layoffs/other stupidity that will come if the next round of rate plans get trashed by the commerce commission.

What industry are you in, friend?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

TraderStav posted:

What industry are you in, friend?

Electric Utility that serves the largest city in the middle of the country.

It probably doesn’t help that a former CEO was in a very public trial last year, and that trial was constantly in the news. But since the other utility in the state got their rate case smacked down just as hard, I don’t think that was the only contributing factor.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Orvin posted:

Electric Utility that serves the largest city in the middle of the country.

It probably doesn’t help that a former CEO was in a very public trial last year, and that trial was constantly in the news. But since the other utility in the state got their rate case smacked down just as hard, I don’t think that was the only contributing factor.

Hello Electric Utility friend, I’m at the largest one in Michigan. We just got our rear end handed to us last year in our rate case (received 10% of what we were looking for) and two weeks ago they announced the most insane buyouts to employees (very generous) and didn’t exclude our most critical resources. Looks like all of our Engineering leadership is leaving.

i’m 90% taking the 44 weeks pay.

Always happy to commiserate/complain about Utility life if you want to drop into my DMs.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My wife's company is now requiring employees to write reviews of other employees that are publicly posted in Slack. They will be used during annual reviews.

I was next to my HR manager when I got the text and she was aghast and told me that might be lawsuit worthy.

___

This is one of the fridges in our breakroom:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

History Comes Inside! posted:

Anytime anyone calls out they have printer problems, I suddenly don't know anything about how any printers have ever or will ever work. Because I have helped out in that way before and become the go-to printer helper for the whole office, and I am never doing that again.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I manage a sales org.

I just took over Jan 1.

People didn't know they had to make phone calls out to prospect. At all. They just thought business would show up. So I made them all standardized reports and told them make fifty dials out a day. Not hard.

Turns out that's how you get business??? I hope I fail into another promotion so hard I get told to never sell a thing personally again.

Fake edit: I was told today by boss not to sell anymore until February last week because my "tickets are clogging up the business pipeline." Ok. I'll just...manage? Manage to watch a lot of YouTube and do all my ce for the year in one week.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
printers should have a service contract. dont do printers. printers are the devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We now have:

1. Label printers in Manufacturing and Research. My team supports these. We get a couple of tickets a month.

2. Big multifunction printers supported by Ricoh.

At one of the smaller companies I worked for we had just the one big MFD and a plotter. When I started the MFD would stop printing to ask about A4 -> Letter conversion every day. When time came to replace it I had to turf out one of the salespeople bidding on the new contract. The dumb bastard was pitching one that didn't have an automatic setting for that, and I was super clear in the RFP that that was a mandatory feature. He didn't even get all of his print samples out of his briefcase before the meeting was over.