Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Elias_Maluco posted:

That I don’t think I agree. The story is not about that, it glosses over that. Is not something anyone cares about, not even the droids themselves seem to question or mind it. They are sometimes things and sometimes full fledged persons, depending on the droid and/or the scene. And all in all, it just don’t matter, the story is not about that.

They are more like humanized objects on some disney cartoon: they talk and sing and do goofy things and act like people and may help our princess but don’t you stop to think too much about what would mean if our cups and chairs were sentient beings

In Return of the Jedi, there's a scene where C-3PO - Jabba's new droid - is taken to the droid quarters and meets with a droid overseer. In the background, a droid is being tortured due to poor work.

Please explain the purpose of this scene, if it is not about slavery. (Because if it is about slavery, it's so clear that an explanation is utterly unnecessary.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Halloween Jack posted:

"We must be made to suffer! It seems to be our lot in life." Yeah, you're definitely not meant to think about it at all.

Do you work for Disney, by any chance?

No, it’s supposed to be funny, comic relief . Like a talking broom complaining about its back from brushing all day long or something like that.

The suffering of the slave droids is laughing matter trough all films

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's not like disney has ignored the droid slavery issue. The hit film solo faced it absolutely head on. That movie's view, that the desire of droids for freedom is a funny joke, was simply an abhorrent one

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i honestly never understood why anyone ever assumed you were meant to think the droids had no soul or weren't supposed to think they weren't sentiant.

there's many scenes across the saga where they feel agony, scream in terror, feel sad, or happy, ect.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

"We must be made to suffer! It seems to be our lot in life." Yeah, you're definitely not meant to think about it at all.

We are 100% not meant to think about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Elias_Maluco posted:

No, it’s supposed to be funny, comic relief . Like a talking broom complaining about its back from brushing all day long or something like that.

its not funny

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0-dCLFadQ

this poo poo aint funny lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like what would be the show if Kirk and Spock landed on Tatooine. They would be horrified and question the prime directive

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I’m petty sure it’s suppose to be

edit: I mean we have a little robot screaming in a funny voice while getting his fuselage burned, it’s like a talking car screaming in pain after getting it tire punctured by a nail

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 17, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elias_Maluco posted:

That poor gonk droid did nothing to deserve that.

Mods??????

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

#savethegonk

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CelticPredator posted:

i honestly never understood why anyone ever assumed you were meant to think the droids had no soul or weren't supposed to think they weren't sentiant.
Because if that's true, my attitude towards Luke Skywalker has to change. Protagonists are supposed to be morally perfect people that I can feel 100% good about. Also, everything they say is expository dialogue and an objectively true fact about this imaginary setting.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If you prick us, do we not gonk?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I understand probably a lot of people ITT have not seen solo, and I don't blame you. But I don't really know if you can have this conversation in the disney context without reference to L3

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I get your point but i'll say Luke does care about R2. His tone is more like a owner to a pet, but he does genuinely care.

True, he was complicit in being a slave owner but idk. That's the lovely world.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Star Wars is not a story about droid liberation, but it implies the existence of a companion story about droid liberation by its allusions to other media which commented on real-world slavery by their own respective metaphors. Droid slavery is a recurring theme which reflects upon other elements of the story. Sometimes its depiction of droid slavery is darkly ironic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am personally sticking to Lucas movies as “Star Wars” but yeah there is a lot of other media out there like Solo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No Mods No Masters posted:

I understand probably a lot of people ITT have not seen solo, and I don't blame you. But I don't really know if you can have this conversation in the disney context without reference to L3

l3 is really awful honestly. I don't understand how that just got left in the movie. Tbh its only one scene that's really messed up. Just cut out the "putting her inside the falcon" and we're okay,

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elias_Maluco posted:

You're right about droids suffering being a joke throughout the films but that humor requires droids to be people.

A talking broom complaining about work isn't funny at all if its just an object. This is basic Flintstone's logic.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Elias_Maluco posted:

:gonk:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CelticPredator posted:

its not funny

Yeah, this is supposed to show you that C3P0 is in real danger. It's a literal Droid Hell.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Schwarzwald posted:

You're right about droids suffering being a joke throughout the films but that humor requires droids to be people.

A talking broom complaining about work isn't funny at all if its just an object. This is basic Flintstone's logic.

Sure, but at the same time it can be funny, not horrible, because it’s also not a real person. We are not supposed to care about the suffering of the talking broom people or question this society that enslaves them

It the star wars movies (here I’m thinking only about the Lucas movies), it’s kinda like that. The heroes treat the droids sometimes like people, sometimes as slaves, sometimes as pets. Sometimes they also mown trough them like it didn’t matter at all. Robots can be goofy friendly companions or just things, but the movies dont seems to be interested in exploring what their situation in this universe really means, even though we, the audience, can

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, that's fiction for you.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Sure, but at the same time it can be funny, not horrible, because it’s also not a real person. We are not supposed to care about the suffering of the talking broom people or question this society that enslaves them

It the star wars movies (here I’m thinking only about the Lucas movies), it’s kinda like that. The heroes treat the droids sometimes like people, sometimes as slaves, sometimes as pets. Sometimes they also mown trough them like it didn’t matter at all. Robots can be goofy friendly companions or just things, but the movies dont seems to be interested in exploring what their situation in this universe really means, even though we, the audience, can

For being not interested in exploring it, they sure did explore it at some length in the second most recent film

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Imagine if they did Measure of a Man with R2

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The film may explore it but the characters in the film do not, which makes it different than a morality play … to go back to my original point on why SW and ST are different

sw cartoons excepted

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The morality play is about anakin skywalker not the droids

Are these definitions lying?

: an allegorical play popular especially in the 15th and 16th centuries in which the characters personify abstract qualities or concepts (such as virtues, vices, or death)
: something (such as a court trial) which involves a direct conflict between right and wrong or good and evil and from which a moral lesson may be drawn

How does this not relate to Star Wars? I’m pretty sure Lucas himself called it one. But I can’t find it lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think the characters also explored the issue in solo, I mean they're the ones who opt for some impromptu I have no mouth and I must scream surgery on L3. Their conclusion was simply that they didn't particularly care about her existence. Ha ha

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What moral issue do the characters discuss in episode 3 where the movie endorses a correct view that the audience should adopt

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

What moral issue do the characters discuss in episode 3 where the movie endorses a correct view that the audience should adopt
The Jedi council should have let Anakin be a Jedi Master. But their attempts to control and repress normal human emotion led to the very outcome they feared. So idk isn't the movie saying we shouldn't handle things the way the Jedi did?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Being evil is bad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Being evil is bad

Correct

Which is why the republic deserved to be overthrown

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Episode 3 is the one where the character decides to endorse a military coup over a (admittedly bad, fossilized) democracy and his eyes turn yellow and he kills kids, yeah?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Democracy ?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

Correct

Which is why the republic deserved to be overthrown

Yes. thus it's a morality play

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

euphronius posted:

Democracy ?

Yeah there's the senate chamber with all the planetary reps. It's the place where Yoda has a sick rear end fight with the Emperor and they end up literally hurling the trappings of democracy at each other. It's pretty good!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Episode 3 is the one where the character decides to endorse a military coup over a (admittedly bad, fossilized) democracy and his eyes turn yellow and he kills kids, yeah?

and in his anger strangle his wife to death-ish lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have a different understanding of the word

Regardless I seem to have lost the argument so I’ll stop

Is this the right thing to do ?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I was just pointing out that the movie very much has a moral position. I've actually been neutral on the whole thing and think that this is simply a syntactical issue; i.e. you mean something when you say "morality play" that most people don't, so this is making perfect sense to you.

I consider Star Wars to be pretty simple in the sense that the bad guy is a huge dude in black and the good guy is a little blue-eyed blonde dude in white, but that kind of signposting doesn't mean that every old "black hat/white hat" western is a morality play. Again I kinda get what you are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

they can both be morality plays