Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pablo Bluth posted:

Saltburn. Absolutely no idea what to make of it.

Monstaland posted:

Yeah, I have no idea what they're trying to tell but I enjoyed the ride.

I think that's part of the point. Farley in the counselor's office to Oliver: "It's not what you argue, but how."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Buttchocks posted:

Jackie Brown - Great soundtrack, subtly great set design, I just couldn't get into the story. Maybe I just couldn't see the characters behind the big-name actors. It's too bad it wasn't made in the 70's.

That's a shame, sometimes I feel it's Tarantino's best.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

because it is!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That's a shame, sometimes I feel it's Tarantino's best.

It's certainly not bad, it's just that I've seen these same actors give the same performance in a dozen other movies. I think I would like it more if I could watch it with fresh eyes.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

jackie brown, for the longest time, was the only tarantino movie i never saw. about ~two years ago i marathoned them all and watched it for the first time and loved it! still toward the back end of all his movies for me but it's better than a few that people consider top tier

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

it is, by far, my favorite of his. reservoir dogs is also good.

i can't stand anything else he's done.

v :) v

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

once upon an inglorious unchained basterds supremacy

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Never cared for Jackie Brown. I gave it an honest rewatch just to see if I was in a bad mood the first time or whatever, but I just didn't care for it. I love Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I agree with the JB-is-average posters. It's okay, but I don't think Elmore Leonard's understated style works with Tarantino's bombast.

Still, it isn't bad, and it's better than some of Tarantino's other movies (I was not big on Hateful Eight).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

once upon an inglorious unchained basterds supremacy
didn't realize he did the bourne supremacy

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Tarantino is aggravating because he can be one of the great storytellers in his way, and kind of inimitable; but he can also be a purveyor of self-indulgent adolescent claptrap. However, he rarely has the courtesy to separate those two aspects out film by film. So you get things like Inglourious Basterds, where about 70% of it is all-time classic WW2 thriller, and the other 30% is a really lame action-comedy co-starring Eli Roth.

Lobster Henry fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 18, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're a package deal and he's a better artist for realizing that.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Jackie Brown's like the one Tarantino film I've not seen yet, so I'm correcting that with a 35mm screening.

EDIT: gently caress ME nvm it's sold out except for the front row.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Jackie Brown's like the one Tarantino film I've not seen yet, so I'm correcting that with a 35mm screening.

nice. go see zone of interest too while it's still in theaters

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Nightmare Cinema posted:

EDIT: gently caress ME nvm it's sold out except for the front row.

imo go anyways - front row is bad but you get used to it pretty quick. Last year I saw both Barry Lyndon and May December on the front row of the theater - two of my favorite theatrical experiences of the year!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

ShoogaSlim posted:

nice. go see zone of interest too while it's still in theaters

Zone will be showing about a week from now at a theater 5 mins from me, so I'mma do a midday showing hopped up on caffeine and possibly cocaine to stay awake this time.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the movie is only an hour and a half so i don't think you'll need any booger sugar but hey don't let me yuck your yum

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watched the movie of the month, Beau Travail, today. Was great, beautiful landscapes, and lots of homoeroticism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Anatomy of a Fall was really good and it makes me laugh that the schedule of events for the trial was basically:

Day One: splatter analyst provides pretty conclusive evidence that she didn't do it
Day Two And Onward: her vibes, though??

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Anatomy of a Fall was really good and it makes me laugh that the schedule of events for the trial was basically:

Day One: splatter analyst provides pretty conclusive evidence that she didn't do it

Maybe I’m just an idiot but I genuinely didn’t know which way the film was going to go, and not in a ‘expecting a twist’ way either.

The scene at the end though, where they’re in the restaurant and it looks like they’re about to kiss scared the crap out of me. I’m so glad they didnt

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

toiletbrush posted:

Maybe I’m just an idiot but I genuinely didn’t know which way the film was going to go, and not in a ‘expecting a twist’ way either.

The scene at the end though, where they’re in the restaurant and it looks like they’re about to kiss scared the crap out of me. I’m so glad they didnt

It’s funny, while I was watching it I never really entertained the idea that she might’ve done it. But on reflection, I think that’s less about my impression of her character and more about my disinterest in that kind of storytelling. Like, I’m not a murder mystery person. I don’t like rug pulls of that kind; I’d rather have the facts and watch the drama unfold. So I just subconsciously assumed that she was innocent because I would’ve thought a last-act reveal was hella dull.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Lady Eve God, Stanwyck is so much better when she doesn't have a bad blonde mop glued to the dome. She really makes this film, everyone else is doing their part but her and Sturges manage the very careful balance between comedy and emotion perfectly. A film that has a man banging on a table like a child waiting for breakfast and the MC tripping a quarter dozen times in one scene should not be able to move you when Fonda drops Stanwyck over her con game. Good on Fonda for finding the woman and forgiving her, man desperately needs someone to take care of him because he is hopeless.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Zone of Interest (2023) not much really happens and yet I was completely enthralled. The camerawork was amazing in its brutal simplicity. Not a single concession made to find comfort or entertainment in this scenario. These were regular people performing monstrous acts and the starkness of their portrayal had me holding my head in dismay.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I watched Renfield because it's on Netflix now.
Is it a great movie? Maybe not.
But it's a good movie! I love movies that know what they are. It has decently choreographed action, the actors are giving the middling script their all, the jokes are funny and I love that campy BatmanForever/Malignant kind of set design.
For 90 minutes of your time, you can do a lot worse.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Saltburn - it doesn’t stink but tries way too hard, and it’s been done a lot better before. I could watch a movie of Rosamund Pike just gossiping in a posh accent for 90mins though.

It sort of felt like a Jam sketch without any actual decent satire or wit or skill. The highlight is probably the last shot, but it’s not worth the 2 hours just to get there.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Being John Malkovich - Malkovich. Malkovich? Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich.

Gloriously surreal piece of work, inventive, very funny, surprisingly creepy, was utterly delighted at the twist with Lotte. The monkey getting a sad backstory was delightful. Intoxicatingly depressing and off-putting yet whimsical and wondrous. My recent rewatch of Her made me realize I quite like Spike Jonze and Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind introduced me to Charlie Kaufman and now I want more of both. My partner loved Adaptation; maybe that's next on my list.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
BJM-Adaptation-ESOTSM was such a roll of brilliant work by Kaufman. I wish he'd do some more collaboration; his writer-directory period has certainly had grand ideas, but he could probably do with someone to rein in. Anomalisa, where he was co-director was definitely a lot more approachable than Synecdoche, New York or I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Lobster Henry posted:

It’s funny, while I was watching it I never really entertained the idea that she might’ve done it. But on reflection, I think that’s less about my impression of her character and more about my disinterest in that kind of storytelling. Like, I’m not a murder mystery person. I don’t like rug pulls of that kind; I’d rather have the facts and watch the drama unfold. So I just subconsciously assumed that she was innocent because I would’ve thought a last-act reveal was hella dull.
I know what you mean and 100% agree, I was thinking something similar, but so much of the film is absolutely stellar that I trusted that if she was guilty, it wouldn't be a dumb rug pull, and that there would be some substance to it.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
Many years overdue, but my first time watching 'The Orphanage', I had to turn the movie off during the knock knock scene after Laura grows up. This was in the middle of like 8 years of binge-watching horror. I had never turned a movie off for being too scary before, and the actual scene was comparatively pretty tame, it was just extraordinarily well executed.

Anyways, if you like horror movies (especially heart-tugging ones in the Guillermo del Toro tradition), please rent, purchase, or otherwise financially support the creators of 'The Orphanage'. It is a one-of-a-kind, heart-tugging, painful, and terrifying movie.

databasic fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 20, 2024

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Fugitive - Great loving movie.

They don't make any mid-budget action/thrillers like this anymore. Someone should correct that.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The Fugitive - Great loving movie.

They don't make any mid-budget action/thrillers like this anymore. Someone should correct that.

:hmmyes: I saw this in the theaters with my parents that same year as Jurassic Park, and of course I was bigger on Jurassic Park because I was a 12 or 13 year old boy. I never really understood how good The Fugitive was until I rewatched it last year. Every beat hits, Tommy Lee Jones is awesome, and Harrison Ford never had a more charming role.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Steve Jobs (the Ashton Kutcher one) - I feel like the directing and acting in this is let down by the script, at least the first half hour or so. Just garbage tier writing. But it finds its feet as it goes. It's yet another one of those I'm Just So Awesome The Rules Don't Apply To Me movies, and the feeling it leaves you with is hagiographic to a soaring-score fault. But it seems to want also to balance it with some "rear end in a top hat" portraiture that ends up reading more like "monster", making some bold claims it doesn't seem to really want to commit to.

I hadn't seen this in some years and I haven't seen the Fassbender one at all, but from all I've seen that one doesn't bear anywhere near as much resemblance to reality in a casting-stunts-and-physical-accuracy sense, but maybe it is more coherent as a character thing.

But boy there's some nice camera work in this, some absolutely beautiful trick shots, and the weird judicious choice to use shakycam for some selected scenes makes me feel like this deserved better writing for what it brought as a visual experience.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Stoker (2013) got whiplash during the wake scene since the last movie I watched had only static cameras (Zone of Interest) but I got my sea legs quickly. The dialogue was pretty mid and the acting was juuust this side of melodramatic but it’s Park Chan Wook so the style was off the charts. seems like he’s the only director still making erotic thrillers out there and god bless him for it. All in all a fun little movie

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The prosecutions expert gave evidence that she could have though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Killers of the Flower Moon - okay I totally faked myself out with this one; I completely thought, from its first few minutes of framing and establishing material, that this was alt-history. I thought it was a fanciful what-if story of a world in which one of the tribes such as the Osage had somehow managed to shrewdly maneuver into holding the cards in the early-20th-century oil boom, and an exploration of racial power dynamics in that speculative world full of aristocratic Saudi-prince-style natives and a white servant/mercantile underclass. I thought it was meant as an analogue of the Black Wall Street thing that it was specifically alluding to by putting the Tulsa massacre front-and-center (via a period-correct Fox newsreel, lol).

But it's actually a true story? :aaaaa: I only realized this after the fact and now I feel newly gobsmacked at how little I know no matter how obsessively I try to study history. God drat

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mega Comrade posted:

The prosecutions expert gave evidence that she could have though.

What was the evidence? All I remember is that the only real evidence the prosecution had was the blood splatter, and the defense's analyst pretty roundly proves that for her to have hit him in such a way as to cause the splatter, they both would've had to have been leaning improbably far out of the window. Everything else was just down to Sandra being a shifty bisexual.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

White Plastic Sky - it's Logan's Run + Scanner Darkly set in Hungary, which I am required to support because I love rotoscoped movies, and a lot of effort clearly went into it

Unfortunately the remaining CG is... OK and the story didn't really grab me, but it deserves points for going hard in the paint against "family first" despite being produced in Hungary

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie: I first watched a downloaded version of this on an old monitor so it was cool to finally see it in theaters. Overall this is a fun action film that feels very much like Cowboy Bebop but a bigger budget. It’s got the slick martial arts, gunfights, space ship dog fights, and all the characters get a little bit to do though this is mostly a Spike show.

Where this really excels is the visuals and music. The backgrounds are all just spectacular with tons of details and color. The mars setting is a combination of New York and Morocco. So there’s lots of Arab designs. Plus there’s the whole Halloween theme with giant pumpkins and a Halloween tower. The animation too is quite nice with the fight scenes and dog fights. Music is all fun mix of jazz and western pop/rock sounding songs. Only weird one was a song blasting “don’t want to be the one to pop your cherry girl” as the two men square off to fist fight.

The plot itself is fine though it slows a bit after the monorail fight for exposition and some bebop philosophy. Also Vincent is kind of a dull guy but the same is true of Viscious (though he has a sword). But it looks so good and it’s still fun to see the old crew in action again.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 22, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

checkplease posted:

sounding songs. Only weird one was a song blasting “don’t want to be the one to pop your cherry girl” as the two men square off to fist fight.

The music was good but the lyrics in the movie songs were really off.