Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

right arm posted:

e1 of s4 of true detective. can’t decide if it’ll be as bad as s5 of fargo or not but the pilot was rear end

probably just gonna rewatch scavengers reign again during the snowstorm here instead

season 5 of fargo has been really good what the hell are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

season 5 of fargo has been really good what the hell are you talking about

idk man the past couple of episodes have felt like filler compared to last week’s ep. my wife just finished s1 and s2 and has just started s3. I hope the finale for s5 ties it all up well but I feel like I’ve just been tempering my expectations

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

5 definitely has filler

6, 7, and 8 had one interesting thing combined in them (the puppet episode) and did nothing to move the plot forward. Does anyone care about Indira's husband. Oh Roy is being cartoonishly evil again. Now he's slow walking to a dark remix of Britney Spears. I wish he was walking towards a plot point

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I like seeing Dave Foley get work

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah he was my fave guy this season. the kilt guy is cool too imo

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

right arm posted:

yeah he was my fave guy this season. the kilt guy is cool too imo

Munch ftw

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i feel like this season of fargo could have been 7 strong episodes but i have enjoyed it a lot so far. i think right now i go 1, 3, 5, 2, 4

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Leaves, op. good looking, nice soundtrack, really funny, first 'political' movie I've seen in ages that wasn't insufferable. probably my favourite 2023 movie so far

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

I'm finally getting caught up on Fargo S05 and I'm really enjoying it. The camerawork / art direction is absolutely impeccable this season and - despite some filler - I'm really enjoying the story and characters. Munch, especially, hits that perfect surreal/unreal note that the show does so well. Having him paraphrase Malcom X's "the price of freedom is death" speech and extending it to the horrors of American capitalism illustrated by Tillman and the Elder Lyon is a wild choice that somehow ends up working. If they stick the landing in the last episode I think this season will rank pretty highly for me.

I recently did a re-watch leading up to the new season and while Season 1 will always be my favorite (Billy Bob Thornton is loving CHILLING in that role), I think seasons 2 and 3 absolutely hold up and carry the series forward. Season 4 is obviously a low point, but still has some great stuff to recommend it - Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman's performances are so much fun.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Season 5 has been entertaining but it feels the least 'coen brothers' of all the seasons, for better and for worse. Like it stands perfectly well on its own but it's much more straightforward and leans a lot less on the themes of struggling to live and find meaning in an inherently chaotic world.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

Season 5 has been entertaining but it feels the least 'coen brothers' of all the seasons, for better and for worse. Like it stands perfectly well on its own but it's much more straightforward and leans a lot less on the themes of struggling to live and find meaning in an inherently chaotic world.

Yup. Give me more Munch, more Dorothy, more Wayne, more Lorraine, hell more Scotty, even! But they seemed to focus the entire season on Roy -- a cardboard cutout villain that offers nothing outside of his introduction

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Finale redeemed the entire season

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Finale redeemed the entire season

yup. great season. pissed true detective will probably be nowhere near as good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My sister and cousins trolled me by inviting me to watch Wonka and changed to Aquaman 2 at the last second. This movie loving stinks!!!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Plutonis posted:

My sister and cousins trolled me by inviting me to watch Wonka and changed to Aquaman 2 at the last second. This movie loving stinks!!!

Why would you willingly watch Wonka in the first place?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm a chalahead.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I'm a chalahead.

Rise the gently caress up ✊

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Poor things.

Insane set design, everything had so much texture. I missed a part in the middle of the movie because I had to go to the bathroom which really pissed me off, so know I have to watch it again.
I really want to see the lobster and killing of a sacred dear now.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

Poor things.

Insane set design, everything had so much texture. I missed a part in the middle of the movie because I had to go to the bathroom which really pissed me off, so know I have to watch it again.

lol I thought you were talkin about chuck and plut

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the beekeeper. this movie is so goddamn stupid, but i had fun

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

Lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

the beekeeper. this movie is so goddamn stupid, but i had fun

i keep thinking they've run out of gas with the, "the x" old white guy who is unkillable movie and keep being wrong

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Leadthumb posted:

Poor things.

i thought The Lobster was fine but i also don't really care for movies that have one massive overarching weird gimmick/metaphor they dig so hard into that they kinda meander with the plot which is basically exactly what happens when it hits act two

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Leadthumb posted:

Poor things.

the lobster kicks rear end

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fargo season 5 ended well. Overall I enjoyed the season but can't get over a few things. Like, when it's all said & done, why was Indira a character at all? Does she do anything that Farr couldn't? That could've been written as a singular character, but instead we get 40 minutes of her husband playing virtua golf for some reason. She did literally nothing the last 2 episodes, which were the most important

& this is minor, but Wayne just magically being normal again. I guess he Forgot things conveniently when the plot needed him to, and then he's back to normal without explanation

Roy is the worst villain in the series, but I already talked about that. Even his fate, while somewhat satisfying, still felt hollow in the end

But whatever, it was better than 4 and the good parts easily outweigh the bad. 7/10

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Fargo S5 stalled a bit here and there but that back half of the last episode ruled

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

also they did Farr dirty

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Roy was written to make sure the sub 40iq people watching knew for sure he was the Bad Guy. Wouldn't want another Walter White on our hands

TheSwizzler posted:

also they did Farr dirty

This.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

i keep thinking they've run out of gas with the, "the x" old white guy who is unkillable movie and keep being wrong

It was like the lady who gets scammed at the start was in a completely different movie when they kept cutting to the call centre lmfao. i was onboard immediately

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Roy was written to make sure the sub 40iq people watching knew for sure he was the Bad Guy. Wouldn't want another Walter White on our hands

This.

Yeah it definitely felt like they were scared to make a Cool bad guy so they just went out of their way to make this guy have as little personality as possible. I felt like there was prolly another way they could have gone about it but it seems like they didnt want to take risks either. Agreed about indira but i feel like they wanted her character to be the catalyst for the story with her arresting dot at the start but not really knowing what to do with her after with 9 more episodes to fill.

Also kinda funny this season is at least so far the only one completely disconnected from the other ones. I was half expecting varga to appear in the federal prison but nope, not a thing.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

virtua golf ftw

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sorcerer. Incredibly tense. Blu-ray looks gorgeous.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sorcerer. Incredibly tense. Blu-ray looks gorgeous.

watched this the week after friedkin died last year. the bridge scene(s) got me worse than any horror movie

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Lester posted:

watched this the week after friedkin died last year. the bridge scene(s) got me worse than any horror movie

They’re loving wild. Just insane stunts (both in real life and in the movie) that nobody would get away with today.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
sorcerer owns. one of the only movies ive seen where i was worried the real life actors in it were going to just fuckin die

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

If you haven't watched Gran Torino since release you need to rewatch it right now, lol. It's insanely bad. Horrible acting, cliches out the rear end. it's turned into a comedy over the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If you haven't watched Gran Torino since release you need to rewatch it right now, lol. It's insanely bad. Horrible acting, cliches out the rear end. it's turned into a comedy over the years

lets not forget this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSb_UKSw37Q