Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

JahRoo posted:

Hakari's first real fight shows off the limits of his bullshit godmode power and he's able to get out of it through clever application of the other core mechanics of the story, namely 1) using the barrier aspect of domain expansion to dump kashimo in the water and 2) using a binding vow to avoid certain death when kashimo blows everything up.

I mean, yeah, "he used the 'do anything you want that vaguely makes sense at an appropriate emotional/narrative cost' power" is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I don't think it's at all bad, quite the opposite! But it's not nearly as rigorous as many fans believe (to its benefit).

e: another great example of a core mechanic that is putatively rigorous that is obviously nonsense calvinball is black flash, which is straight up "sometimes you land a crit and it changes your life" in a way that is honestly beautiful and hilarious

Valentin fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm not even kidding when I say I fully expect Sukuna to bust out a Black Flash sometime this year.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like they're that rare.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Feel like Sukuna is too disinterested to ever get a black flash off.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
He'll get really into it and do the black flash off-panel.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Jerkface posted:

I want him to go on a rant about how it’s a weak sorcery trick reliant on luck, unlike his TRUE jujutsu (proceeds to come up with another bullshit power)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

If he was going to pull one off it would probably have been against Gojo since that's when he would have been far more focused and "in the zone" like Gojo himself was. At this point I don't think anyone can really push Sukuna to hit that 120% effort mark.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Sukuna is gonna black flash Yuji because he won't die and keeps coming to annoy him

alternate scenario: sukuna blackflashes kenjaku brain bug (but its Yuji in Sukuna's body)

Brought To You By posted:

If he was going to pull one off it would probably have been against Gojo since that's when he would have been far more focused and "in the zone" like Gojo himself was. At this point I don't think anyone can really push Sukuna to hit that 120% effort mark.

Its more gojover than ever, didnt even force Sukuna to look deep within himself to pull off the black flash :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Good news: We’re finally getting a new chapter this week

Bad news: Next week is another break…

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
ok it's kind of funny that after so many theories re: Kenjaku's inherited will and how that plays into Kenjaku choosing a new host, possibly even Yuta, it's actually just Sukuna, the one other still-living bad guy. Guess Ken is toast, idk...?

A lot happens in this chapter and also very little. Sukuna spacing out having a mini temper tantrum is pretty dope. Somewhat interesting that we still don't, even after Sukuna's little monologue, have anything hinting at his Heiyan-era relationship to Yuji or what Yuji even was...

Things are always a little unclear before the full english upload comes so I guess we'll see if any of the nuances change anything.

Hard to tell if the Ui Ui teleport stuff will matter (oh god is Yuji gonna eat everyone who died lol)

Taima fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 17, 2024

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The lovely scans are out: https://imgur.com/a/vN7Ytb5

They are extremely lovely, only read if you're very impatient.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The lovely scans are out: https://imgur.com/a/vN7Ytb5

They are extremely lovely, only read if you're very impatient.

Eh, the art and sense of place is heavily limping along at this point. I'm just here to get narrative closure on this thing. Unfortunately with yet another break next week, this poo poo is unfurling at a snail's pace.

It's extremely hard to imagine that Kenny is dead due to the sheer weight of narration that only he has the answers to. It almost makes me wonder if he'll take over Sukuna or something, it's weird, but he really can't die without the story getting all hosed up barring some kind of Post-Death Yapping Device a la Mechamaru. Which would be kinda on-brand.

Some other thoughts:

1) Yuta carrying a strong death flag now
2) I still can't figure out the narrative significance of the dead players being funneled to Shoko unless everyone will be carried into the merger (including Kenny) and they all convene again inside the monster or something.

Things are a little frayed narratively, with so many irons in the fire, and its hard to understand the exact direction at this moment for that reason.

A key question right now is if Megumi will come back. It just feels so drat late for that though...

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 17, 2024

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My question: I wonder if we'll just get the human instrumentality project ending where Tengen merges with Japan and then everyone with a strong enough will to exist just pops back out and there's a new status quo where everyone is a sorcerer which solves the whole conundrum that plagued Geto.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think it's interesting the main way it's different for Sukuna this time is since he's been inside Yuji's head the whole time he knows 100% this isn't self-delusion or narcissism but that Yuji will never ever stay down and that changes things in some way he can't describe even to himself. Laughing that it just irritates him though.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
re teleporting the bodies

they’re finally turning gojo into a coatrack

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am genuinely confused. What happened to the sword?

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Looks like Higurama's post-mortem Nen Cursed Energy hypothesis was wrong and the thing just fizzled out as he died, instead of getting stronger?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

sounds like higuruma died so the sword disappeared before yuji could hit him

Char
Jan 5, 2013
turns out the real curse getting stronger was telling Yuji "you've got this", everyone cursed him into never giving up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cgfreak posted:

Looks like Higurama's post-mortem Nen Cursed Energy hypothesis was wrong and the thing just fizzled out as he died, instead of getting stronger?

Lol, that is what I thought but I couldn't believe they'd anticlimax harder than Gojo.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

The three-week cliff-hanger of "even if it obviously won't kill him what will the sword do?" ended on nothing happening, is what happened.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Sukuna’s lightning cursed tool has been permanently disabled by Higuruma’s technique

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guess this means Megumi is extra hosed then, unless they have another one-in-a-million cursed technique from a genius sorcerer that has the potential to save him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao: three weeks for that

god this sucks rear end

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

it's so loving weird lol

It's also incredibly self aware that Gege is having Sukuna space out in the middle of the drat fight.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

three week cliffhanger into that is rough, but sending everyone to Shoko is an interesting detail. Sukuna reflecting on how healing others with CT is too inefficient to have any hope of saving the people wounded so far feels like it's setting up a reversal, but at this point who knows.

I do really like this moment of characterization for Sukuna but meh, Gege's gotta give us something, Higuruma's sword just fizzling out is lame.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Another thing re: the chapter - It seems weird that Sukuna couldn't take into account that Shoko's technique could literally just be "I can do the stuff you can't do to other people with Reverse Cursed Technique normally"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The two twinks are fighting the big four armed man now, i am okay with this

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Finally the main character is in the fight.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
if they bring gojo back, i think it would be a bad choice, but i guess i'll eat crow

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The author said he was dead

But that doesn't mean that he can't return as a Gojo-curse I guess

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

To be fair Yuji was dead at one point too.

Gojo should probably stay dead at this point though. Gonna be a real lol if he comes back.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I think it would be very silly to spend all this time on the thing in question and not do anything with it, but if nothing comes of it I'll just assume that gege just didn't want to have to think about where anyone's body landed and trying to draw it into future background shots.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Collapsing Farts posted:

He died before and came back as did yuji so it's up in the air. gojo coming back would be incredibly lol

pretty nothing chapter, very disappointing to wait 3 weeks for and have an immediate break. Felt like sukuna was about to actually get a little interested in fighting yuji but then yuta showed up to ruin things. Also very lol if kenjaku is dead dead. There's a year left in this story? i guess we could get a year of various this is it attacks fizzle the very next chapter. or maybe a year of flashbacks explaining how differently yuji is right now which has so far occured entirely off screen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerkface posted:

He died before and came back as did yuji so it's up in the air. gojo coming back would be incredibly lol

pretty nothing chapter, very disappointing to wait 3 weeks for and have an immediate break. Felt like sukuna was about to actually get a little interested in fighting yuji but then yuta showed up to ruin things. Also very lol if kenjaku is dead dead. There's a year left in this story? i guess we could get a year of various this is it attacks fizzle the very next chapter. or maybe a year of flashbacks explaining how differently yuji is right now which has so far occured entirely off screen

All we know is that there is less than a year left, barring a sudden change. Including break weeks and such you're looking at 30-40 chapters or less.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yum posted:

Sukuna’s lightning cursed tool has been permanently disabled by Higuruma’s technique

yea it's not that higuruma's sword didn't do anything, it's just that it didn't directly impact sukina. iirc he's lost both of those cursed tools and mahoraga at this point. there's a ton of build up for sukuna losing even a single tool in his arsenal, which could maybe work if it was done differently but as is has been pretty unsatisfying

part of it is probably because the only things he's lost are just some toys that had no build up and mahoraga, which both wasn't his technique and still gave him an upgrade anyway. he hasn't even used his full arsenal of techniques so it's hard to feel like anything is happening. I think this is supposed to feel like the frieza fight in dbz, it's just not landing as well as that did

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Kamutoke is so funny. Gets used once. Doesn't work. Gets taken out forever. AND IT WAS BUILT UP FOR AGES.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea it's not that higuruma's sword didn't do anything, it's just that it didn't directly impact sukina. iirc he's lost both of those cursed tools and mahoraga at this point. there's a ton of build up for sukuna losing even a single tool in his arsenal, which could maybe work if it was done differently but as is has been pretty unsatisfying

part of it is probably because the only things he's lost are just some toys that had no build up and mahoraga, which both wasn't his technique and still gave him an upgrade anyway. he hasn't even used his full arsenal of techniques so it's hard to feel like anything is happening. I think this is supposed to feel like the frieza fight in dbz, it's just not landing as well as that did

I thought he lost that because it was confiscated and so it poofed in aether when he died.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lmfao even sukuna is bored and unfilled by this. gege does it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Taima posted:

2) I still can't figure out the narrative significance of the dead players being funneled to Shoko unless everyone will be carried into the merger (including Kenny) and they all convene again inside the monster or something.

Bringing back Gojo of course.

What the gently caress was this chapter even.