Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Aphrodite posted:

I fly a decent bit and that's common at airports too.

In that case I think it's a great idea though, because in the past every store and restaurant in an airport would close at some point and if you had an overnight you couldn't get anything but vending machines.

Typically, when I have seen this implemented, the self checkout option is available only when the store has an employee physically working. At other times, the store will be closed and you won’t be able to access items or check out. The biggest reason for this is probably anti theft, they aren’t willing to trust without a human working people won’t just ransack the entire store quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You could just say they saw what happened with those Amazon Fresh stores.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Inner Light posted:

Typically, when I have seen this implemented, the self checkout option is available only when the store has an employee physically working. At other times, the store will be closed and you won’t be able to access items or check out. The biggest reason for this is probably anti theft, they aren’t willing to trust without a human working people won’t just ransack the entire store quickly.

Airports now frequently have food/drink stands that are pure self check out with no employees at all, just cameras. Just used one in Nashville but I’ve seen them in Dallas, Orlando, and LA too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I imagine the risk of the shop getting looted is low on the secure side, where there's a billion cameras, they've logged every person coming in and the only exits are guarded bottlenecks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Apparently there’s now an “Apple Music preview” app on the Windows store. Guess iTunes is finally getting killed off for individual pieces of software that I’m sure will be just as terrible.
That app is kinda blargh. And has been for a year now. It's like they're not even trying.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It was ok and slightly more usable but it doesn’t support music on device at all so

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Cheapest 'good enough' backup iPhone? Used market OK. Needs to do web, social media apps, media streaming, and good enough camera. I'm not actually getting one just asking out of curiosity. I already have a stack of old iPhones. Some still very useable some not so much.

6s Plus? 8 Plus? SE gen1?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Probably an SE 2020, I don't think ones you mentioned are still getting updates. An XR or 11 might be cheap too

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Eh I mean personally I don't care if they aren't getting updates anymore as long as the apps still work reasonably.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You’re gonna have to explain your use case a little more. What’s a backup phone?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shaocaholica posted:

Cheapest 'good enough' backup iPhone? Used market OK. Needs to do web, social media apps, media streaming, and good enough camera. I'm not actually getting one just asking out of curiosity. I already have a stack of old iPhones. Some still very useable some not so much.

Well none of those are going to get the latest iOS updates going forward (unless Apple decides to release a new version of iOS 15 or 16 for whatever reason), so they'll become security risks.

The SE gen3 is currently the cheapest model Apple sells, starting at $429. Not sure what the used market is like, but if you can find a XR, that's the oldest model supported by iOS 17.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 16, 2024

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think my in laws are still using an 6s and 8 Plus. Are people actually being exploited by un patched security on iOS as opposed to just being socially engineered into buying gift cards?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

Well none of those are going to get the latest iOS updates going forward (unless Apple decides to release a new version of iOS 15 or 16 for whatever reason), so they'll become security risks.

The SE gen3 is currently the cheapest model Apple sells, starting at $429. Not sure what the used market is like, but if you can find a XR, that's the oldest model supported by iOS 17.

Apple is still releasing security updates for iOS 15 and 16, yes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arivia posted:

Apple is still releasing security updates for iOS 15 and 16, yes.
Ah, I didn't realize that. My bad. How much longer will they keep doing that, though? iOS 18 is coming out this year, so it doesn't seem reasonable to hope for Apple continuing to support older versions of iOS for a while.

Shaocaholica, I know you said you wanted your backup phone to have a good enough camera. If you go for something like a 6S+, keep in mind that that phone is going to be 9 years old this year and phone camera tech has advanced a bunch in the last 9 years. I'd go for something at least a few generations newer than that, if you can swing it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

Ah, I didn't realize that. My bad. How much longer will they keep doing that, though? iOS 18 is coming out this year, so it doesn't seem reasonable to hope for Apple continuing to support older versions of iOS for a while.

Shaocaholica, I know you said you wanted your backup phone to have a good enough camera. If you go for something like a 6S+, keep in mind that that phone is going to be 9 years old this year and phone camera tech has advanced a bunch in the last 9 years. I'd go for something at least a few generations newer than that, if you can swing it.

For most Apple products, security updates are usually the most recent version of the OS and the two previous. So right now 15-17 should get security updates at minimum.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Still wondering what a "backup iPhone" is. Is that just a phone that sits in a drawer in case your main goes down and you can't make it the 15 min to a best buy or something?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

For most Apple products, security updates are usually the most recent version of the OS and the two previous. So right now 15-17 should get security updates at minimum.
Apologies for talking out of my rear end here. I'm not trying to spread misinformation, I'm just uninformed I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Still wondering what a "backup iPhone" is. Is that just a phone that sits in a drawer in case your main goes down and you can't make it the 15 min to a best buy or something?

This is what it is here, but it's just the oldest phone we haven't traded in yet. I definitely would not buy a phone for this purpose

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

FCKGW posted:

It's for drug deals.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Apologies for talking out of my rear end here. I'm not trying to spread misinformation, I'm just uninformed I guess.

No need to apologize. It's one of those things you usually don't worry about it unless you have to.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

This is what it is here, but it's just the oldest phone we haven't traded in yet. I definitely would not buy a phone for this purpose

Yeah I usually keep some kind of spare phone sitting around in the event something happens and I, or a family member, need something to use for a short while. Currently it's a Galaxy A54, before that it was a Pixel 3. Likely will never actually have to use it, but it's there if I ever do.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It’s a spare phone for whatever reason my main phone is down/lost. It’s also a(hot) spare phone for when my wife/parents phones are down or lost. The camera is nice to have but not a big grievance for a spare phone unless it becomes a long term phone because lazy parents.

It’s also for drugs

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sooner or later some app like Facebook will update and be like “you need iOS 18 to install this update” and won’t be able to use that specific app anymore.

If you don’t care about this then not getting iOS updates doesn’t matter and you can get an old phone.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I would say iPhone 8, personally.

They don't get 17, but they get 16 and they're arguably not missing out on much.

Corb3t posted:

Sooner or later some app like Facebook will update and be like “you need iOS 18 to install this update” and won’t be able to use that specific app anymore.

Most apps are way better about this than they used to be. All the big name apps still run on old OS.

Scrolling through my list:
Discord: 12
Google Maps: 14
Facebook: 13
GMail: 15
MS Authenticator: 15
Waze: 14
Messenger: 12
Tiktok: 11
Youtube: 14

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shaocaholica posted:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Still crying about forgetting to turn offloading off on my iphone 6 and the lovely podcast app downloading 20 gigs of shows I specifically told it not to download pushing it off, robbing me of Dungeon Raid forever.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Rick posted:

Still crying about forgetting to turn offloading off on my iphone 6 and the lovely podcast app downloading 20 gigs of shows I specifically told it not to download pushing it off, robbing me of Dungeon Raid forever.

Jailbreak your 6 and sideload the Dungeon Raid IPA.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can I create a shortcut to toggle sound on/off for notifications of a specific app?

I have a crappy new work app that used to only send job notifications when you’re on the schedule and now it does it 24/7. I’d love to toggle it easier with a shortcut or the side button on the 15.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rolo posted:

Can I create a shortcut to toggle sound on/off for notifications of a specific app?

I have a crappy new work app that used to only send job notifications when you’re on the schedule and now it does it 24/7. I’d love to toggle it easier with a shortcut or the side button on the 15.

Maybe set up a focus mode?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah you should be able to set up Personal focus that silences your work app and a Work focus that allows it (not sure if you can set the app to always silenced and then Work to unsilence it?). If you have a set schedule you can set your phone up to switch between them automatically, or based on location via Shortcuts.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

bobfather posted:

Jailbreak your 6 and sideload the Dungeon Raid IPA.

drat this is a good idea, I should do this.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I hate that I need a full 8-icon sized Weather widget just to see the forecast for the next few hours. Seems like something that could easily be squeezed into the 4-icon sized one which has a lot of blank space. Are there any good third-party widgets for this that can still open the stock weather app when tapped?

I feel like most of Apple's widgets focus more on empty space aesthetics than trying to fit in more functionality.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Weawow has a clean 4-icon widget that shows the next few hours and the next day. It won’t open the stock Weather app but I like theirs better anyway.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Since iOS 17 released I’ve noticed that the sleep focus mode doesn’t turn off automatically with the associated alarm anymore. Is this a bug or new intended behavior? Something I can do, other than just manually turning it off every morning, to make it go back to the old behavior?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

Since iOS 17 released I’ve noticed that the sleep focus mode doesn’t turn off automatically with the associated alarm anymore. Is this a bug or new intended behavior? Something I can do, other than just manually turning it off every morning, to make it go back to the old behavior?

I've not had that problem at all and I use it every weekday. Double check the settings or maybe totally re-do the sleep focus.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Tiny Timbs posted:

Weawow has a clean 4-icon widget that shows the next few hours and the next day. It won’t open the stock Weather app but I like theirs better anyway.
I'll check it out, thanks! It's kind of a shame since I really like the official weather app, I just think Apple's widgets are really not that helpful unless you go for the huge ones. Even if they had a "4-icon, useful" and "4-icon, pretty" option for each one that'd be nice.

Branch Nvidian posted:

I thought I had that issue before, but turns out my scheduled Do Not Disturb that I had from years ago before focus modes were a thing was still active, so I would "wake up" from my Sleep Focus to be placed into my Do Not Disturb Focus which would still be active for another half hour since I changed my sleep schedule.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Has anyone here gone from a Mini to the new regular size? Did you survive the transition without regrets?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Xabi posted:

Has anyone here gone from a Mini to the new regular size? Did you survive the transition without regrets?

it’s not that hard a transition but i won’t say i never miss the mini. the normal size isn’t all bad. games videos and reading are better, texting and one handed use are worse. maybe not zero regrets but i’m more at peace than i expected.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I really hope the rumors about the size increase for the 16 Pro are true. I’d love to step down from a Pro Max to a slightly smaller Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Xabi posted:

I went from 13 Mini to 15 Pro. I do miss being able to pocket the phone comfortably but the larger battery life definitely outweighs the smaller size.

Overall, I don't regret it.