Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bull3964 posted:

Only issue is no native visual voicemail integration.

Thanks! I think I've used that once so that doesn't sound too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

explosivo posted:

Thanks! I think I've used that once so that doesn't sound too bad.

Yeah, it's so weird. I didn't even realize that phones other than iPhone and Pixel had native Visual Voicemail integration on T-Mobile until I got a carrier Z Flip 3 and it was just there. However, none of my unlocked Samsung devices have it.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bull3964 posted:

Only issue is no native visual voicemail integration.

Visual voicemail on samsung is garbage I think. Unless it's different on other providers. On Google fi it just shows me what voicemail are there and I have to download and listen to them. I guess it is what it says it is but when I first used it I expected it to be more like Google voice voicemails where I can just read it.

Is it the same on pixel and other stuff?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixel native visual voicemail is right in the dialer app and transcribes the message.

What's really annoying is t-mobile doesn't even allow other phones that use the Google Dialer to use visual voicemail in the app. All OnePlus phones use the Google Dialer and the VVM tab is there, but it can never activate.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 18, 2024

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Pixel native visual voicemail is right in the dialer app and transcribes the message.

it's not supported/enabled here :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eh gently caress it I changed my mind I don't need a new one of these yet. The trade-ins always make it pretty tempting but it's still $700+ and the 22 Ultra still feels great to use and I really can't imagine there's much here other than the dumb AI stuff that would make it feel like a new phone.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I find the blatant iPhone clone design of the regular/plus S24 kind of enticing. But I also really like the feel and build of iPhones in general. Mmmm... blasphemous Android iPhone.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Samsung has always wished it was Apple. That's why they have all their own crap like the Samsung store.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
In other disappointing news, Samsung is removing their gestures. The only options will be either on-screen buttons or Google's gestures. Personally, I suppose I'll get used to the idea of using Google gestures, but it sucks to lose the superior gestures for a gimmick like circle search.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

It's a class 3 biometric. The app doesn't actually care what the biometric type is, only what class it requires and the face unlock on the Pixel 8 series is the highest. Prompts are all invoked via the same API, no explicit support is necessary..

That's what I thought but I only have the option for fingerprint unlock in the settings.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

In other disappointing news, Samsung is removing their gestures. The only options will be either on-screen buttons or Google's gestures. Personally, I suppose I'll get used to the idea of using Google gestures, but it sucks to lose the superior gestures for a gimmick like circle search.

I had zero idea that Samsung had their own unique gesture navigation system.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's what I thought but I only have the option for fingerprint unlock in the settings.

Just turn that on. When the biometric prompt pops up it will use face unlock.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Desk Lamp posted:

What the hell, that's such BS. I hate buttons, why would they do that?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

What the hell, that's such BS. I hate buttons, why would they do that?

Desk Lamp posted:

The only options will be either on-screen buttons or Google's gestures

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Just turn that on. When the biometric prompt pops up it will use face unlock.

Yeah it doesn't use the camera at all :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've just turned it on to try and no it doesn't ask

You giving your phone to other people unlocked regularly or something? I can't think of a reason I'd want it locked down like that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah it doesn't use the camera at all :(

Then Whatsapp isn't using the standard biometric API. The app is broken.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fwiw telegram works the same way

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

I've just turned it on to try and no it doesn't ask

You giving your phone to other people unlocked regularly or something? I can't think of a reason I'd want it locked down like that

I'm just security- and privacy-conscious I suppose.

bull3964 posted:

Then Whatsapp isn't using the standard biometric API. The app is broken.

That's OK so long as I'm getting the same behaviour as everyone else.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It's just 0.76mm thicker.

Otherwise it's the same width and quite a bit shorter. The Zenfone is also nearly half an oz lighter.

It's fine if you prefer the Xperia, but it is not a smaller phone.

I know this is from the previous page, but I think the 21:9 aspect of the Xperia phones make them "feel" smaller than they really are. Like the 1 V felt way smaller than an iPhone 15 Pro Max, but when I compare them on phone arena or together irl they're much closer to the same size. Anyway, hope that poster enjoys their new Xperia 5 V.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I like fat wide phones and wish they were still 16:9. Gimmie the Nexus 6 whale with modern guts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If that's the way those apps are behaving, I would have questions.

If they are using some sort of older biometric API that only fingerprint sensors work with, that means they haven't maintained that bit of code since before 2019 when the Pixel 4 / 4 XL was introduced.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Branch Nvidian posted:

I know this is from the previous page, but I think the 21:9 aspect of the Xperia phones make them "feel" smaller than they really are.

i went from s21 to a xperia 1v and agreed! i was like wow this phone is smaller when i was trying it out then when i was switching sims i was like eh it's actually bigger ish

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bull3964 posted:

If that's the way those apps are behaving, I would have questions.

If they are using some sort of older biometric API that only fingerprint sensors work with, that means they haven't maintained that bit of code since before 2019 when the Pixel 4 / 4 XL was introduced.

Android devs not targeting newer APIs till it get forced on them is nothing new

If it works well enough why change it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know, one kinda neat thing they could do with the temp sensor on the Pixel 8 Pro is they could embed the ambient temp into picture metadata. Still kinda useless, but at least it's something.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The xenfone 10 just felt extra thick compared to the pixel 5. Maybe it was as much to do with the less rounded edges. I dunno. I certainly won't argue the xperia v 5 is as small as a pixel 5. The xperia is like the xenfone in that it has sharper edges but it doesn't then also have the bulging rear.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting. My Samsung devices have gotten the new Google Weather UI that launched on the Pixel Fold and Tablet when launching from the at a glance widget, however my OnePlus Open is still stuck on the old weather UI.

Not sure when it happened, maybe it came with the 14 update.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I've noticed google wallet looks different on this sony versus a pixel even though they both have the latest version.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
On that same note, it seems Samsung and Google are merging Nearby Share with Quick Share. Thankfully, it's looking like NS will get rolled into QS and not the other way around.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Why did google make it a feature that you can disable app notifications if even their own apps endlessly prod you to turn them back on? gently caress it's annoying.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Same reason they made a huge deal about notification channels then do nothing to enforce their proper use. Many major apps have "general" as their only channel. Screw you if you don't want to get updates about A NEW SEASON OF BLAH.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

a google product manager needs their app to hit an engagement target to get their bonus

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

other people posted:

Why did google make it a feature that you can disable app notifications if even their own apps endlessly prod you to turn them back on? gently caress it's annoying.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

repiv posted:

a google product manager needs their app to hit an engagement target to get their bonus

I thought they only got their bonus with chat features unlocked.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
to make the banner in google photos go away i turned on notifications for the app and then disabled every subcategory.

Not directly related but it is still showing suggested edit bubbles over every other photo. It didn't do this on my.old phone so I guess they give up eventually?

It is nice starting fresh on a new device but having every app insist on showing a tutorial and trying to highlight all its features etc is kinda annoying.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I used to use google drive with my old windows pc and would like to use an online cloud system again. Now that I'm using an android tablet and phone I downloaded the google drive app and also tried the web interface.

I get a list of my folders and then a list of 'files' and by files they mean images, these images are from my folders and I can't get rid of them. Maybe this has something to do with google photos.

I also can't figure out how I get everything to synch so that I have an identical file structure/files between devices and my online storage. I thought this was how it worked on windows?

I would like recomendations for alternatives that don't cost too much but would synch my folder system between my online storage, tablet, phone and maybe offline storage. Extra marks for anything that doesn't try and think for me (like the photos on google drive).

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
https://jottacloud.com is nice but their servers are all in the EU afaik so if that's not where you are then maybe it would be slow :shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

JamesieAB posted:

I used to use google drive with my old windows pc and would like to use an online cloud system again. Now that I'm using an android tablet and phone I downloaded the google drive app and also tried the web interface.

I get a list of my folders and then a list of 'files' and by files they mean images, these images are from my folders and I can't get rid of them. Maybe this has something to do with google photos.

I also can't figure out how I get everything to synch so that I have an identical file structure/files between devices and my online storage. I thought this was how it worked on windows?

I would like recomendations for alternatives that don't cost too much but would synch my folder system between my online storage, tablet, phone and maybe offline storage. Extra marks for anything that doesn't try and think for me (like the photos on google drive).

The Google Drive app on my phone looks like my folder structure on e.g. my computer if I go to the app's Files tab. I don't see my Google Photos files.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah as long as you're on the"Files" tab it should be the same

Alternatively you can use Solid Explorer and connect Drive there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the info.

Jottacloud looks interesting but at the moment I am using around 20Gb and Google charges £1.60 for 100Gb.

All the images files show up in Solid Explorer as well and on closer inspection appear to not include my google photos files, they seem to only be copies from my folders made over a few days last summer. It could be that I was moving them around for some reason and forgot about them? Anyway I am moving them all into a folder now to tidy things up a bit.

I think I will stick with google drive and Solid Explorer for a while and clean up my folders.

Thanks again Goony Goon Goons.