Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/01/20/kiji/20240120s00005000170000c.html
Surprising nobody, Aoiyama is out for the basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Not in my stable he's not! I will carry my large son across the finish line even if it means losing my fantasy salary. No auto-trade for me. I will accept the failure of my style as a lesson and rise from the ashes of my team stronger and more determined than ever.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Now and always SHODAI, AGENT OF CHAOS

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

lol at the ref in Kirishima vs Hokutofuji looking away from the match a bunch of times to fix his hat and find his sandal again.

wodin posted:

Now and always SHODAI, AGENT OF CHAOS

I do not know what motivates Shodai but holy poo poo he came to fight today and he had an answer for every one of Terunofuji's usual plays

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
~~~~~~~shodai~~~~~~~

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

No trade for me, I'll figure something out next basho

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Fuckin' Shodai, man. Fuckin' Shodai.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

whats for dinner posted:

lol at the ref in Kirishima vs Hokutofuji looking away from the match a bunch of times to fix his hat and find his sandal again.

I do not know what motivates Shodai but holy poo poo he came to fight today and he had an answer for every one of Terunofuji's usual plays

Post-match quote: “I did think it was a long time since I got a kinboshi. Many of my victories against Yokozuna were as a sanyaku - what a waste! I won more [kensho] this bout than the entire of last basho.”

So he was fighting for more dinner

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If a kinboshi occurs but no one could pick up the points because we were all too cowardly to draft Shodai, did it actually happen? :pseudo:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Oh no :(

I think Aoiyama is on my team, no autotrade for me either please. Sticking with your guys is more important than winning.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

anakha posted:

If a kinboshi occurs but no one could pick up the points because we were all too cowardly to draft Shodai, did it actually happen? :pseudo:

The one time I'm not playing...

SHODAI

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Shodai must have warmed up today

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 7 thoughts.

Oh god it was AOIYAMA's GOOD knee that broke. ACL rupture, too. Yeah pretty sure that'll be it for him. Sorry big man. :(

Bushozan nearly threw that match away with a pull attempt. He's very lucky Churanoumi couldn't quite finish him off.

I expected more fight out of Oho, that was a surprisingly easy win for Onosato.

Vintage Ichiyamamoto negative sumo there, which is equal parts impressive and disappointing

MIDORIFUJI! What a great win after absolutely losing the tachiai.

Atamifuji is finally starting to turn around his basho. Honestly 3-4 is a fantastic start for his first time up at M1. I expect him to pull off KK with room to spare.

Thank you WMH for being relatively gentle with Takayasu. Always nice to see dudes NOT getting yeeted off the dohyo after a loss.

Any Ryuden loss is a good match. Good solid belt work by Kotonowaka there.

HOLY poo poo a gyoji wardrobe malfunction. I've never seen that before. Hell of a good match along with that too. Love to see Hokutofuji hold his own doing belt work that is very much not his thing. Also glad to see the Yokozuna run is still alive for Kiribayama. Maybe the best match of the whole basho so far entertainment-wise.

Hoshoryu/Tobizaru another great match, lots of techinical moves, solid defense by both, great footwork. Could've gone either way right up until the end.

Shodai. Will Teru make it all 15 days? I'm starting to have my doubts.

Boogalo posted:

Post-match quote: “I did think it was a long time since I got a kinboshi. Many of my victories against Yokozuna were as a sanyaku - what a waste! I won more [kensho] this bout than the entire of last basho.”

May all our motivations be so pure. And so successful.

Dammit, I'm starting to come around on Shodai.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Atamifuji is finally starting to turn around his basho. Honestly 3-4 is a fantastic start for his first time up at M1. I expect him to pull off KK with room to spare.l

Totally agree, he’s been put through the gauntlet and come out the other side very respectably, it should be comparatively smooth sailing for him on the back half

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Boogalo posted:

bartolimu posted:

May all our motivations be so pure. And so successful.

lol couldn't put it better myself

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
RE Oho: As of right now, I think he's a very much low to mid Maegashira. He's had some really good performances, but once he's going against folks in M5+ it seems he can't hang. I think either needs to either really work on technique or try to bulk up if he wants to get past that. I say this while being very excited about his recent performance because he's on my team. I picked him because he always seems to rescue himself from Juryo.

RE Atamifuji: Upper Maegashira is very difficult because your first week is gonna be against all the Sanyaku. The fact that he's near even is actually pretty dang good all considered.

Atamifuji and Gonoyama seem to have really cemented that they can hang at the top of the banzuke and I'd expect them to stay there if they don't get injured. By comparison, the hot new rikishi of a couple months prior (Kinbozan and Hokuseiho) seem to be incredibly mediocre.

On a completely different topic, I think this is Bushozan's best first week in Makuuchi? I think this is his 3rd or 4th shot at trying to stay in the big leagues.

Also, I was on a plane today so I downloaded the juryo matches from Natto to kill time. Takerufuji seems to be on a tear. If he can keep this up, we'll be seeing him in Makuuchi in May. I don't normally follow Juryo, but I might start. Was interesting to seem some familiar faces that have dropped off.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

So proud of my boy Shodai.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/11910217cc7888a39590be7666275411e674e5ca

DeepL Translate posted:

On the 21st, the 8th day of the first Grand Sumo Tournament, Ko-toyasu Takayasu (33) (Tagonoura stable) reported to the Japan Sumo Association that he would be absent from the tournament.
Takayasu is out again.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I always lose track: does he have elder stock? The number of chronic hip and back issues he's got going on make me really worried :ohdear:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

whats for dinner posted:

I always lose track: does he have elder stock? The number of chronic hip and back issues he's got going on make me really worried :ohdear:

According to the Kabu Database on SumoDB, he does not. :smith:
https://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx

In better news, Kise-beya, home of The People's Yokozuna, Tokushoryu, and Babyface Ura, has their own new Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@kisebeya
Please like and subscribe. 🙇‍♂️

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Never should have come back in the first place, he was clearly still injured. Trying to fight through injuries for Ozeki pride instead of sitting out and healing up is probably why he's never made it back to Ozeki

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Aoiyama is probably done since nhk said he has an acl injury. He was already getting to the end and it takes way too long to come back from that.

e: I wrote a haiku for Takayasu before he got hurt and then hurt more

Take my energy
Takayasu Akira
Ganbatte da yo

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 21, 2024

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
My viewing experience has been immeasurably enriched by having the world's biggest (and loudest) Atamifuji fan behind us, amazing.

Also, the acoustics in this place are crazy, the slaps and tachiai sounds travel right up to the nosebleeds, great stuff.

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston
That ruled

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Oh no Hokutofuji, that didn't look good

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston
OUCH

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That was a loving scary fall. Hope he can recover.

Not being able to put weight on the leg with the braced knee doesn't look good though.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Oh no Hokutofuji, that didn't look good
Yeah his right knee appears to have given out on him at the tawara. :smith:
Or maybe it was a hyper-extension when he landed?

Bentai fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 21, 2024

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that fall was so scary, i feel so awful for him i want to cry. god i hope he recovers well. that's my boy :smith:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Too much monke for Kirishima

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

These dudes have incredible pain tolerance so the fact he wasn't even able to put weight on it, let alone get on the dohyo, is really bad. Hope he can heal up and come back strong, he's younger than he looks.

Also Terunofuji having to work that hard against Ryuden is really rough, he's getting it done but you can't depend on grip strength testing someone's wrist till they make a stupid move to end it

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Abema confirmed Hokutofuji twisted his right knee before the fall. Here's hoping it's nothing super serious, just a kyujo and healing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea, Hakuho was an rear end in a top hat when he wanted to be, especially when someone did something he didn't like. But when youre the GOAT you can do that

Hakuho's assholishness usually came off as 'you pull that poo poo with me, you deserve what you get'.

In other news, I'm extremely pleased with my gut pick of Onosato for this basho, he's having a good run from M15W.

Probably permanently, if that really was an ACL tear. Big Dan's not likely to want to make the climb back from makushita at his age and health. :smith:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 21, 2024

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

So Hokutofuji went kyujo on day 7, then? Or would it be 8?

I suppose I'll get an auto-trade, then. But will it be penalized?

Edit: Must be day 8, oops. My math was wrong. :)

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Endo looks like he's not even trying.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Me: Oh hey, the sumo highlights are up. Fancy watching them with me?

My 10-y-o: Sure

*Two minutes later*

My 10-y-o: This is weird

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
I maintain my no trade stance, and will focus on coming back better next Basho.

(Come on Kiri :sigh: )

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Heartbreaking to see my main man Hokutofuji get carted off like that. Get well soon big man :smith:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

My entire list of picks have gone out this week.

Can I anyone for Hokutofuji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Me: Oh hey, the sumo highlights are up. Fancy watching them with me?

My 10-y-o: Sure

*Two minutes later*

My 10-y-o: This is weird

haha, that’s exactly how my girlfriend reacted, and then ten minutes later she was absolutely INVESTED in every match.

She’s gonna watch as much of the midnightsumo/karla feeds with me as she can tonight. I’m so proud.