Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
On a whim I got some AK weathering pencils. These things are pretty awesome and easy to use. I did some experimentation on one of the side panels of a Bradley I'm working on and I like the results.

Water soluable too if you make a mistake or want to do some blending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
That pic is 'uge.

Regarding the pencils: Interesting. How well do they actually blend w/water?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Do you varnish over theme or is there some sort of treatment to make them no longer water soluble?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The AK's are an interesting product, but they are just regular old watercolor pencils. You can get the same thing from many art suppliers for far cheaper. Even a top quality art supplier like Koh-I-Noor sells a 72-pencil set for only about $5 more than AK's 37-pencil set.

https://www.amazon.com/Koh-i-noor-M...138&sr=8-7&th=1

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
But AK's pencils are for modelers. :colbert:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
But can you get GUNMETAL watercolor pencils?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, there are a bunch of silver watercolor pencils out there. You've gotta cross out the "silver" on the barrel and etch in "toxic masculinity" if you don't want you get made fun of, though.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So since we are on the topic. What are some good modeling paints/supplies that you can find cheaper at a Hobby Lobby type place since they aren't "modeling" specific?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Mod Podge, or better still, archival PVA glue. Works on more stuff than you'd think, plus it's a great sealant.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Charliegrs posted:

So since we are on the topic. What are some good modeling paints/supplies that you can find cheaper at a Hobby Lobby type place since they aren't "modeling" specific?

Craft store paints are great for basing and dry-brushing. Same with cheapo brushes found there. I always pick up one of those packs of 20 multiple brush sizes for $5 when I'm at the craft store. Then I always have crap brushes on hand for jobs I don't want to mess up my good brushes with.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

For terrain stuff where I will need a fair amount of paint I try to pick up stuff for cheap at the home depot "wrong color" clearance area in the paint department. Sometimes I find a color that will work great for cheap.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Charliegrs posted:

Artist grade paint thinners if you use oils and enamel.
Seconding the inexpensive acrylic craft paint for bases/dioramas.
Chalk pastels.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I find that you can get stuff like airbrush medium and basic paint colours at art stores for cheaper.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I use bog standard lacquer thinners to clean my airbrush cause it’s super cheap and seems to clean all of the different paints I use perfectly well. I could also use isopropyl given I got 5L of the stuff from a chemical place for $25

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

But can you get GUNMETAL watercolor pencils?

Just use a regular pencil. Sonic Sledgehammer has done a couple of times in some of his videos for weathering for metal and vehicles.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I posted this in this thread my AFV Club T-34-85 :ussr: a long time ago but I finally decided to fix some things that were bugging me about it, so this is as close to finished as I want it. Buildin’ on a Budget I hand painted most of the interior and used Tamiya rattlecans, a weathering kit and a handful of Vallejo paints that I all got from a local hobby shop.

Also it’s kinda funny how a model will look great with your own eyes but a close up photo will taunt you. Whatever, I’m proud of it.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 21, 2024

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
That looks absolutely fantastic! Will you display it in a way to show off that awesome interior work?

We are our own greatest critics and see flaws no one else ever will.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Space Jam posted:

I posted this in this thread my AFV Club T-34-85 :ussr: a long time ago but I finally decided to fix some things that were bugging me about it, so this is as close to finished as I want it. Buildin’ on a Budget I hand painted most of the interior and used Tamiya rattlecans, a weathering kit and a handful of Vallejo paints that I all got from a local hobby shop.

Also it’s kinda funny how a model will look great with your own eyes but a close up photo will taunt you. Whatever, I’m proud of it.

I love the seats. Something about looking at the color gradients on 'natural' materials like leather and wood makes my brain happy.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Crossposted from elsewhere:

Fearless posted:

If you told me twenty years ago that an evening spent sipping scotch, painting historical miniatures and watching a grand sumo tournament would be something I would look forward to, I'd probably assume you were some kind of crazy person. But that is precisely how I spent my evening last night so it turns out I must be the crazy person!

54mm knight, based on the bascinet and applique plate armour on the limbs, I am thinking probably mid 13th century? Painted again in the heraldry of a very distant ancestor; I think I am going to do a couple more of these in this particular heraldry before doing some of the secondary or tertiary branches of the family. Paints are overwhelmingly Vallejo Game and Model Colour, Tamiya Model Master pigments for the mud and dust and Army Painter washes (though these are probably going to be replaced with Vallejo as some of them are being rapidly depleted). On a previous figure I used tape to mask the heraldry; on this one I painted it free hand. This was substantially easier I think, as it allowed me to more closely follow the contours of the fabric of the surcoat.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I love the seats. Something about looking at the color gradients on 'natural' materials like leather and wood makes my brain happy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Boylei is back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKX5fUhofc

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Space Jam posted:

Also it’s kinda funny how a model will look great with your own eyes but a close up photo will taunt you.

Boy isn't that the truth. There's nothing that makes our efforts look worse than a macro lens. I was painting some figures yesterday under a 2x lens and was really unhappy with how they were going. Then I took the glasses of and realized they look just fine.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Any suggestions for bending some photo-etch parts? Looks like there is a little to do for the wipers on the Lancia 037 I’m building. Not looking to spend a whole lotta, but buying a dedicated tool is okay with me.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Space Jam posted:

I always had the opposite reaction. I've built a lot of models that I wasn't 100% happy with but they ended up looking great from a few feet away and in pictures. I guess because I'm not taking extreme close up macro shots.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Lord Rupert posted:

Any suggestions for bending some photo-etch parts? Looks like there is a little to do for the wipers on the Lancia 037 I’m building. Not looking to spend a whole lotta, but buying a dedicated tool is okay with me.

I've got one of the Trumpeter/Mastertools PE benders but these days I mainly use a pair of Tamiya's bending pliers as they're more convenient to use for some quick folds. Anything really complicated needing several firm folds, or for PE that doesn't already have fold lines etched into it, I use the PE bender.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Thanks, I was eyeing those! The parts are pretty straightforward and I stick to cars/motorcycles so not likely to get too complex over time.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Lord Rupert posted:

Thanks, I was eyeing those! The parts are pretty straightforward and I stick to cars/motorcycles so not likely to get too complex over time.

A steel rule and a scalpel blade normally works well enough for me. I build nothing but cars but haven’t used pe wipers cause they seem like a recipe for disaster

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't love the Tamiya bending pliers. There's too much slop in the jaws, and it's take an effort to get the jaws lined up with each other for a nice crisp edge to bend on. I nice pair of square-nose smooth-jaw pliers can be had for a lot less, and are way better quality than the Tamiyas.

https://www.amazon.com/LEONTOOL-Ben...632&sr=8-7&th=1

Lee Valley also has a nice pair of duckbills that work great too.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/pliers/72733-duck-bill-pliers

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, but if I got those I'd build even fewer models. I'd just start pretending I had a duck puppet every time I went to use them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You ever set a build aside because you were at the decal step and gently caress decals, procrastinate for like six months, then not be able to find the decals?

Anyway if anyone finds a sheet of decals for a USN F9F…

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Fearless posted:

Crossposted from elsewhere:

Nice work! Neat scenery, and the lines really do look natural.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

FrozenVent posted:

You ever set a build aside because you were at the decal step and gently caress decals, procrastinate for like six months, then not be able to find the decals?

No, but I managed to either misplace or throw out a decal sheet when we moved to this house five years ago. Still kinda hoping they turn up someday and the painted but undecalled kit (Revell 1:32 Salamander) is still on the shelf. At least it's just external markings as I had already completed the interior.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FrozenVent posted:

This but the loving tools and poo poo that go on tanks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Externally stowed tools were liable to come off as a result of battle damage or when the infantry needed to borrow a shovel, so missing tools aren't a deal breaker.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I find it easier to paint the tools separately then glue them to the tank.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Not exactly sure this goes here, but not sure who else would give a poo poo.

One of the bigger facebook modeling groups (https://www.facebook.com/groups/weatheredmodels) is making me proud today.

A couple days ago a 13 year old kid posted some of his models that were. . . built by a 13 year old, and some internet assholes gave him poo poo about how crummy they were.

This got called out like a sumbitch, and for the past day, there's just been like 200 encouraging dads in there to the point that he's posting his other work and getting genuine gentle feedback that is actually taking into account that he's just a kid who's learning.

Nice to see a bunch of nerds on the internet being genuinely caring.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Glad to hear that. Modeling can be difficult, expensive, and discouraging when things don't come out how you envision (like any other art). And this one in particular tends to scale older for some reason, so having people be encouraging rather than gatekeeping it helps keep the hobby alive, never mind just being nice to people.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Screenshots of douchebaggery for those of us who aren't facebookers plz.

Also, hell yes. I'm thrilled to hear that the community is rallying around him. That's the way modeling should be. I really really really try to be positive on people when they post stuff, regardless of skill level. Otherwise I follow the "if you can't say anything nice..." ideal. Early on in my modeling journey, I had some pedantic pricks over at armorama get all lovely with me about a tank I built and it really rubbed the the wrong way, so I vowed never to make anyone feel the same way as I did. Douchebags will be douchebags though, and even now, on the current project I'm working on, I had someone message me to tell how everything I'm doing is wrong!™ So, some people never grow out of it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that kid pick up the hobby. That's awesome!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The reason I supported the local IPMS chapter here, even though nothing in the meetings or group was related to my ship stuff, was because they did a lot of outreach to kids, at events around the Valley probably 6 times or more per year.
These included "Make and take" sessions where they would provide everything needed including the model, at a little workshop at the events, helping the kids to make a cool model to take home with them. The cost of the program, mostly buying model kits in bulk at dealer cost, was most of what the club's annual dues intake went towards and I am cool with supporting that with my wallet even if it is plastic cars and planes and not wooden ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Chuck_D posted:

Screenshots of douchebaggery for those of us who aren't facebookers plz.
The mod pulled the post, which was a good call, so no screenshots.

Chuck_D posted:

Also, hell yes. I'm thrilled to hear that the community is rallying around him. That's the way modeling should be. I really really really try to be positive on people when they post stuff, regardless of skill level. Otherwise I follow the "if you can't say anything nice..." ideal. Early on in my modeling journey, I had some pedantic pricks over at armorama get all lovely with me about a tank I built and it really rubbed the the wrong way, so I vowed never to make anyone feel the same way as I did. Douchebags will be douchebags though, and even now, on the current project I'm working on, I had someone message me to tell how everything I'm doing is wrong!™ So, some people never grow out of it.
Through some quirk of facebook, I ended up joining a couple primarily British modeling groups and have been shocked in general how supportive they've been with very little prickish bullshit. There's more than one guy who is doing modeling as something to keep their hands moving as they deal with some degenerative diseases, and their stuff is not "good" by any objective measure, but they get tons of support from the group when they post. Plus like 6 other old guys who have advice about what wrist rests to use to steady their hands and whatnot.

The Locator posted:

The reason I supported the local IPMS chapter here, even though nothing in the meetings or group was related to my ship stuff, was because they did a lot of outreach to kids, at events around the Valley probably 6 times or more per year.
These included "Make and take" sessions where they would provide everything needed including the model, at a little workshop at the events, helping the kids to make a cool model to take home with them. The cost of the program, mostly buying model kits in bulk at dealer cost, was most of what the club's annual dues intake went towards and I am cool with supporting that with my wallet even if it is plastic cars and planes and not wooden ships.
Off to see if mine does this. I looked into joining and ultimately didn't because I can't make it to meetings of my existing commitments much less adding something new, but I'll support that in a heartbeat.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 23, 2024