Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

SAW PPV starts in one hour https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

ADTRW has its own theme song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i've been watching code geass the last couple weeks (reason: i polled friends like 2 years ago for anime they like that i haven't seen and this is like the 6th or 7th i've gotten to). it's just been okay so far -- feels like a really dumb 86 with an insufferable lead -- but the parts where it gets to revel in the conflict between student council high school drama and being a terrorist are pretty cool. i wanted to make a meaner post but the school festival episode i just watched is actually incredibly good and i wish the rest of the show could be like this. maybe it needed the 20 episodes of build up and i should be more respectful of everything that came before it.

the whole episode is just perfect. it starts with lelouch imagining a bunch of people with spotlights shining down on them praising his actions from the previous episode, then gives us 20 minutes of lelouch complaining about how hard it is to run a school festival and a coup with complete sincerity, and it ends with him breaking down while cc reflects on the material and philosophical issues inherent in making a really really big pizza.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thats the best case anyone has ever made to me for watching code geass

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
CC's Pizza

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i guess i kind of got the impression from my friends + the internet that this show was going to be serious, but maybe it was always about the absurd melodrama and goofy moments spitting in the face of pompous master planning. it's hard to be more blatant than a toy hammer hitting lelouch in the head in the middle of his speech

https://i.imgur.com/VMQONVP.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QM3aThB.mp4

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The pizza.....

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

code gayass

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Anyone presenting it as serious hasn't rewatched it since they were a teen in 2006, common anime problem.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

The pizza.....

this is the episode where like every plot thread in the show comes to a head and that's the climactic scene

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

this is the episode where like every plot thread in the show comes to a head and that's the climactic scene

lol hell yeah. like i was saying in seasonal thread. action shows work a lot better when theyre smeared over a thick bed of comedy

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

haypliss posted:

Anyone presenting it as serious hasn't rewatched it since they were a teen in 2006, common anime problem.

i knew something was up when i watched the first couple episodes and called lelouch a loser in our group chat and some of my friends tried to say he was cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
code geass is entirely about the ridiculous melodrama. it's serious in the sense that it plays everything with a straight face but most of what it does is for comically extreme dramatic effect

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a reason code geass is an anime where a side plot bad guy comes back after getting shot by a dozen police officers and says "you ordered them to shoot me... but you didn't order them to kill me!"

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

The Colonel posted:

code geass is entirely about the ridiculous melodrama. it's serious in the sense that it plays everything with a straight face but most of what it does is for comically extreme dramatic effect

my favorite gag is kallen trying to solve every problem by stabbing suzaku with a knife

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Code geass is so ftw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
jibun wo

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Erg posted:

Code geass is so ftw

I should really get around to watching it at some point. IBO too. But my backlog is already so drat long...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Erg posted:

Code geass is so ftw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Leg posted:

i guess i kind of got the impression from my friends + the internet that this show was going to be serious

geass has a serious side to it but its pure operatic melodrama. it takes its situations seriously and then mocks them at the same time.

lelouch rules but its because its self-absorbed, pompous, and dramatic. the show makes a point of this really early on when hes like 'hahaha here is my grand plan to defeat cornelia' and then he fucks up, nearly dies, and goes 'that was just a test run heres my real plan to defeat cornelia' and then he blows up like 500 people. hes sympathetic because he has understandable motivations and clearly cares about things but he also gets way up his own rear end in a believably teenage way. hes an extremely entertaining and charismatic lead but hes not meant to be the coolest, smartest guy to ever live.

ichiro okouchi's writing is filled with this kind of stuff, look at how much in g-witch resolves in anticlimaxes (purposefully), like the glue gun stopping the brothers' duel. its a kind of playfulness with the audience thats characteristic of his work.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like thats what makes geass captivating, the mix of humanistic drama and actually compelling character dynamics and then you get to see those dynamics amped up to 50 because its a story that runs almost completely on emotion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also kind of irritating because the way Okouchi writes can either work extremely well for a scene or fall flat and its a coin flip plus viewer opinion as to where it will land.

I'd be a lot more annoyed at the stuff with Mao returning from the dead literally an episode later saying "medicine, fuckers!" if it wasn't so brazenly stupid that it swung back around to being hilarious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f0oJCMACe0

this is what geass is (spoilers since its an amv of the whole show and ends on the ending)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I liked the first season of Code Geass a lot but R2 is when it started to get really weird to me. probably needs a rewatch

fake e: I always have liked the ending though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
R2 for me fell off a cliff at the start and for as audacious as it got it never quite pulled itself back up to season 1 in my eyes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

r2 has a lot of issues but the last arc pulls it together i think

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

R2 is such a waste of time, the last bit is honestly all u need to watch

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

edit oops i used discord spoilers bc im on my phone lmao

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Erg posted:

Code geass is so ftw

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Back in the day Suzaku got meme'd on for spin kicking Lelouch from fifteen feet away but on a rewatch, my friends and I noticed the boy actually spin kicks a bunch of people. It's just that the show is so over the top that up until that point it's very easy to overlook that Suzaku knew a cool trick and was constantly trying to show it off.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

if i could spin kick people i would do it all the time too. cant blame him.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

not ashamed to admit i cried at the end of Geass. i'm a big boy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Runa posted:

Back in the day Suzaku got meme'd on for spin kicking Lelouch from fifteen feet away but on a rewatch, my friends and I noticed the boy actually spin kicks a bunch of people. It's just that the show is so over the top that up until that point it's very easy to overlook that Suzaku knew a cool trick and was constantly trying to show it off.

they put the spinkick in a bunch of suzaku's super robot wars animations, its ftw

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's Zelda OOT Rando Weekend.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

like thats what makes geass captivating, the mix of humanistic drama and actually compelling character dynamics and then you get to see those dynamics amped up to 50 because its a story that runs almost completely on emotion.

i do like how most of the dramatic confrontational scenes have this interesting dynamic where the kids are shouting through their emotional issues with each other while also slowly coming to terms with their own personal naive interpretations of the bigger conflicts surrounding them

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dann of

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i would also like to say that lelouch is a more fascinating lead than i gave him credit for 4 episodes into the show, but i hate this girl still

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the desk does too

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stexils posted:

if i could spin kick people i would do it all the time too. cant blame him.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

symbolic posted:

not ashamed to admit i cried at the end of Geass. i'm a big boy

Crying from anime is ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

Crying from anime is ftw