Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
If Sukuna’s cursed tool had either been mentioned regularly in the past as a big scary thing or if we had seen it be big and scary then this would mean something but lmao that Lawyer man accomplished nothing except making Sukuna have to do some soul searching for half a chapter. Maybe if the corpse collection amounts to something this section wont feel so bad. As it is though I’m kind of intrigued at the idea that Yuji’s existence leading to Sukuna being defeated through the power of making him interested in things other than himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

to be fair, that's about the most soul searching sukuna has done in 1000 years, so maybe that's still something?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i love this panel so much lmao

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOvP29869ak

Miwa...love...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The "taking the bodies" thing is either a really ham-fisted way to explain how there's no bodies anywhere, or they're going to turn everyone into cursed cookies or something so Itadori can eat them, or it's both.

You can see the direction there; Yuji using his friend's powers to finally defeat Sukuna and "be surrounded by his friends" as he dies to kill Sukuna or whatever is pretty Shonen and dovetails with the expectation set by his grandfather.

The thing that keeps annoying me is the merger. It's just so drat late to introduce another mega-baddie who we know nothing about. It makes me wonder if Itadori will participate in the merger, gain strength from it the same way that Sukuna clearly merged with some kind of cursed spirit entity himself long ago (whether that's his brother or otherwise), and that will lend strength to his fight with Sukuna or something?

Things are pretty awkward right now. Problems:

1) This manga is about to end and we somehow don't even know what Sukuna's powers are, what Yuji's powers are, what Yuji's history is, what Sukuna's history is, and we don't even know what the merger is? Honestly we know very little about anything happening right now. Gege introduced Yuji's new hands like months ago and we still don't even know wtf they do, to give an example of how insanely long the payoffs are taking right now.

Even when things are revealed it's very "tell not show". We learned that Yuji has insane RCT this chapter! That's cool right! Well, kind of; it just sorta happened and then Sukuna was like "oh he can do that" then we're onto the next one with no explanation or fanfare. The stakes and powers are so godly at this point that if you don't have Gojo-level RCT you're basically instantly dead. So Yuji just has that too now, I guess, because for a while now he's just been getting random power ups when the story progression demands it :shrug: and since characterization is apparently no longer happening, there is no way to organically tell that story, so the powers just appear randomly.

2) The merger itself was so poorly integrated into the story that it feels very odd having it matter now, especially considering most of the narrative hooks like the US Army interfering, and the different Culling Game colonies, ended up poorly conceptualized and largely abandoned.

3) Kenjaku is supposedly dead but that makes no sense because he holds the cards to the majority of the story. Neo-Tengen still exists to tell that story, I guess, but is Kenjaku really just dead? Really?

4) Sukuna is extremely close to being dead weight and his only remaining purpose is to kick out a couple of hopefully cool fights and then die or phase out for the merger, whatever that ends up being. We don't have that long though. We have what, 30 chapters left? Holy poo poo this guy needs to get cooking, and this chapter was fun but we need meat drat it.

Sukuna is cool but his main narrative power was more conceptual- something you pull out occasionally to keep it fresh. Now that he's just here, doing things, and killing everyone, the depth is completely gone, even if he is fun (his expression this chapter owns) but why are we worried about funny expressions when we desperately need to start closing out narratives yesterday if this is going to have anything approaching a satisfying ending.

Overall, what was once a mysterious reluctance to explain the main character, the main antagonist, and the story has morphed into something far stranger: we just don't know that much about what is happening right now, which is making it feel like calvinball. A year ago it was quirky and interesting that Yuji was still completely unexplained; now, it's 2024 and what the gently caress are we even doing here.

Basically, let's get this fuckin' show on the road Greg

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 19, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Taima posted:

Sukuna is cool but his main narrative power was more conceptual- something you pull out occasionally to keep it fresh. Now that he's just here, doing things, and killing everyone, the depth is completely gone, even if he is fun (his expression this chapter owns) but why are we worried about funny expressions when we desperately need to start closing out narratives yesterday if this is going to have anything approaching a satisfying ending.

The only narratives that matter are Sukuna, Yuji (his relationship with Kenjaku), and whatever ancillary resolution Uraume gets. The merger is fine staying a mcguffin.

Everyone else has already either completed their character arcs or never had one in the first place. Whatever happens to the world following this clusterfuck can be left open so you don't need to dedicate much time to it in an epilogue.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yuji's keeping the sword hand clenched throughout the chapter so i'm guessing it hasn't quite faded away completely and will get its power up at a dramatically appropriate time.

he's gonna eat it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i hope kenjaku's head is just laying next to Takaba and he has to listen to him tell jokes for the rest of the manga

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheHan posted:

he's gonna eat it

And then he like absorbs its powers or something?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And then he like absorbs its powers or something?

no, just gives him a buzz

Sukuna watching Yuji get zooted off that CT Bullshit

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How hyped he was when Higuruma did RCT then he sees Itadori doing it and its lost all the magic

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This is it, the ultimate meme for this arc

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wtf did that item even do

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

mabels big day posted:

quote:

During the Heian period, Sukuna wielded both Kamutoke and Hiten to annihilate the Northern Fujiwara Clan's Sun, Moon and Stars Squad and the Five Empty Generals, as well as the Desshi Pacification Squad made up of the Abe Clan's elite (including the Angel) and the Sugawara Clan's remnants.[2]

it was the most powerful ever, and so cool, and megumi's sister had to be taken over by an evil sorcerer who also had to die and then sacrifice herself to become it, so sukuna could wield it (awesomely)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mabels big day posted:

It could shoot lightning or something

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Kind of bizarre / indicative of this tail end of the manga that a main characters sister got fridged unceremoniously to create a mcguffin that got described as a big deal but didn’t do anything. Said thing got dealt with by worfing one of the select few new characters from the culling games arc with some interesting development and buildup.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jjk has had a habit of subverting expectations for a long time but when it doesn't work out, you get this

setting something up and then pulling the rug from under it when it's supposed to pay off isn't satisfying

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Well, that very specific and illustrative description of its power certainly sounds impressive and useful whenever you need to annihilate the Northern Fujiwara Clan's Sun, Moon and Stars Squad and the Five Empty Generals, as well as the Desshi Pacification Squad made up of the Abe Clan's elite (including the Angel) and the Sugawara Clan's remnants, but not so useful when they're all already dead. Classic blunder, Sukuna.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Yuji being able to use rct is super significant given the info we know about it. It’s probably being downplayed for later.

It is funny that we get all of these amazing RCT users back to back before the reveal:
Gojo regenerating a full limb with rct
Hakari regenerating multiple body parts with rct
Lawyer guy learning rct while on the brink of death
and now Yuta, who has some sort of advanced RCT that can heal toxins and works on other people.

It’s obviously to drag attention away from Yuji until he’s the last one standing

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Well, that very specific and illustrative description of its power certainly sounds impressive and useful whenever you need to annihilate the Northern Fujiwara Clan's Sun, Moon and Stars Squad and the Five Empty Generals, as well as the Desshi Pacification Squad made up of the Abe Clan's elite (including the Angel) and the Sugawara Clan's remnants, but not so useful when they're all already dead. Classic blunder, Sukuna.

he certainly showed those birds who's boss tho

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Yuta is gonna beat Sukuna by kissing him just like he beat that cockroach guy, but with extra tongue this time

I just realized the 2 members of these squads that we know about are that sky lady and angel, so I mean of course he could use it to easily annihilate a bunch of female characters, but now theres so few left the Kamutoke was useless!!!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 20, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Jerkface posted:

I just realized the 2 members of these squads that we know about are that sky lady and angel, so I mean of course he could use it to easily annihilate a bunch of female characters, but now theres so few left the Kamutoke was useless!!!

:hmmyes:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Is the Angel still alive? I swear I cannot even recall who is and isn't dead at this point when so many characters are in the "out of the picture so long they may as well be dead" bin.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Alive but unable to fight apparently now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I mean I wouldn't want to fight anymore after getting chomped on by Sukuna like that.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Doesn't even have to fight! The good guys have a very rare resource on their side, a reincarnated Heian sorcerer with direct experience with Sukuna, and Gege's not even having her chiming in with any insights from the peanut gallery.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Doesn't even have to fight! The good guys have a very rare resource on their side, a reincarnated Heian sorcerer with direct experience with Sukuna, and Gege's not even having her chiming in with any insights from the peanut gallery.

She's the one who came up with the Kenjaku ambush plan

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

She's the one who came up with the Kenjaku ambush plan

Yeah this was all her scheme. There was a chapter or 2 long flashback with her explaining all this poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I don't really blame Gege Akutami for losing track of things/suffering under the work load. But JJK is a smash hit with a smash hit anime. I understand from a shuiesha(?) point of view why you dont' just let the person go once every 2 weeks or whatever but surely he has enough pull now to be able to do that instead of genuine random break.

Like, in my ideal world Togashi just makes HxH monthly and it can still be 18 pages long whether or not that is physically possible for him aside

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is there any relevant fighter left who cant use RCT? It just seems necessary to fight anyone at this point so everyone left who didnt have it before is just gonna reveal they just learned it so they can fight sukuna without getting instakilled by a slight breeze

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mabels big day posted:

Is there any relevant fighter left who cant use RCT? It just seems necessary to fight anyone at this point so everyone left who didnt have it before is just gonna reveal they just learned it so they can fight sukuna without getting instakilled by a slight breeze

Just Yota. Hakari gets it via his domain and Choso can wing it, but everyone else knows they're chaff at best.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yuta definitely has RCT, that's how he kissed cockroach to death and it's what skywarplady whispered to him upon her reveal.

Maybe Maki doesn't have RCT?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yuta's had RCT since JJK0. Maki doesn't have RCT because she's never been able to use cursed energy, hence can't do the weird funky multiplication to use RCT with positive energy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah this was all her scheme. There was a chapter or 2 long flashback with her explaining all this poo poo.

I just re-read it and all Angel does is join in the conversation and suggest they send Takaba after Kenjaku due to his CT, she's not really making the entire plan anyone could have suggested Takaba fight. There's no premium insight into the kind of guy Kenjaku is or whatever. Gege has been very lean on this kind of exposition the entire way through so its not surprising he doesn't offer anything up (or expects us to infer it due to Kenjaku's reactions in the subsequent chapters that he would get drawn in to comedy), but it would be nice if anyone offered some better insight. I kinda agree with the sentiment that its a missed opportunity. We had all these reincarnated sorcerers and learned very little about the present and only a little bit more about the past! The Yorozu and Kashimo flashbacks are probably one of the most interesting bits, and we have little side bits like Uruame talking about how different modern sorcerers are. I wish Gege would go a bit further. Show us what old jujutsu was like. Was Kashimo vs Sukuna really any different from any of the other fights in the manga?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
There’s no backstories because the reincarnated sorcerers are implicitly following the way described by the kappa and old swords guy. It doesn’t matter who they are or were, they’re just here to have a good time.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
also I think readers would get mad if we went into flashback story time. so moving along and leaving it for eu or never is probably fine

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I want flashbacks

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

I want flashbacks

I would too honestly but I get why people wanted to move forward

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://twitter.com/Noodledori1/status/1748727388329119804

e: this schmuck didn’t attribute it, original artist is cb_kawa

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
now I'm wondering how busted Mr. Potato Head's domain expansion would be.