Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arc Hammer posted:

Is he Walter here or is he Raven.

He calls you a hound, it's Walter. He even says Walter's catchphrase at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mad Hamish posted:

Tom Bombadil has a terrible secret.

I'm still really wondering just how Lynch would have done Return of the Jedi.
This dismisses Farmer Maggot being Tom's informant, despite the Tom Bambadil poems confirming that the two are at least close associates if not friends. They also establish that Farmer Maggot can speak to birds, or at least communicate through them. Though it is possible Farmer Maggot is a similar force of darkness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He calls you a hound, it's Walter. He even says Walter's catchphrase at the end.

I mean Sulla calls you a hound too. Besides Raven and the rest of Branch are poo poo disturbers who set off the whole Coral scramble so it wouldn't surprise me if they knew about Walter and Observer's plan to feed the fire.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Terrible Opinions posted:

This dismisses Farmer Maggot being Tom's informant, despite the Tom Bambadil poems confirming that the two are at least close associates if not friends. They also establish that Farmer Maggot can speak to birds, or at least communicate through them. Though it is possible Farmer Maggot is a similar force of darkness.

Listen, I'm sure the being named after entities that feed on decay is completely... oh...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's a pretty loving important reason for why Baron Harkonnen ends up using old-style artillery to bombard the Fremen, which is a a strategy so unorthodox, that even a mentat like Hawat is impressed by it.

The Atreides, the Fremen don't use shields in the first place (pisses off worms, iirc)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean Sulla calls you a hound too. Besides Raven and the rest of Branch are poo poo disturbers who set off the whole Coral scramble so it wouldn't surprise me if they knew about Walter and Observer's plan to feed the fire.

Hmm, yeah, I see your point. I always just thought it was Walter's dream to see that poo poo burn so it's all very tied up in my mind with him imo, and the way Urban delivers the lines is very much in Walter's detached cynical style. I'm not saying it's canon or whatever, mostly just the very first impression I had.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

drunkill posted:

Local IMAX (Melbourne, Aus) sent me an email regarding tickets

Also in the email they're screening Dunc part 1 again from Feb 9th up until the release of Dunc 2

very based

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

My local cinema hasn’t even bothered updating the screening date from 15th to 1st :mad:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Hmm, yeah, I see your point. I always just thought it was Walter's dream to see that poo poo burn so it's all very tied up in my mind with him imo, and the way Urban delivers the lines is very much in Walter's detached cynical style. I'm not saying it's canon or whatever, mostly just the very first impression I had.

I just like to think he's Raven because that is totally Raven's AC he's about to hop inside at the end.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

YoursTruly posted:

John Krasinski as Duncan Idaho.

*Jim Stare into the camera while he's being told he's not Duncan Idaho, but instead a thing called Hayt undergoing mentat training*

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

YoursTruly posted:

John Krasinski as Duncan Idaho.

I can’t go to Fremen! I’m an analyst!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

xpost from the BYOB dream journal thread

kalel posted:

I watched dunc 2 and it was bafflingly edited. lots of scenes ended abruptly without resolution, shots appeared out of order, characters even spoke with the wrong voices. the most coherent (yet still blatantly wrong) part was when—actual spoilers for the dune novel by frank herbert—paul tells chani he intends to make her his concubine after he marries irulan, chani (unlike in the novel) gets vocally upset about how hosed an arrangement that is and paul gets defensive and starts whining at her, affecting some kind of high pitched spoiled eight year old voice. "chaniiiii come onnnnn! I wanna be the emperorrrrr :mad:"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Someone getting hold of an editor's assembly and saying it's bafflingly edited. Lol early versions of films aren't films at all. I remember seeing Argo's editor's assembly and it was trash and mostly focused on his wife played by Taylor Schilling.

The final edit of the movie almost completely removed Taylor Schilling and won Best Picture.

(to be clear I like Taylor Schilling and think she's good but the point stands)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kiimo posted:

Someone getting hold of an editor's assembly and saying it's bafflingly edited. Lol early versions of films aren't films at all. I remember seeing Argo's editor's assembly and it was trash and mostly focused on his wife played by Taylor Schilling.

The final edit of the movie almost completely removed Taylor Schilling and won Best Picture.

(to be clear I like Taylor Schilling and think she's good but the point stands)

Does that also count if you get a hold of it in a dream

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

oh I'm sorry is that someone's dream lol why is that worth posting at all

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Because it's funny to imagine Denis Villeneuve forcibly putting the aww cmon I'll be your friend Simpsons guy into Dunc 2

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I know I'm a bit late to the discussion, but it takes more suspension of disbelief than I can muster to think that Jason Momoa would be horrified by an invitation to a muscle lady orgy so I guess that means he's not the ideal Duncan. Although from what a friend told me Momoa was apparently really enthusiastic about the role so that's cool.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

kiimo posted:

people posting/talking about their dreams is always so boring and uninteresting.

people posting/talking about their prescient glimpses of the future is always interesting and thrilling.

so few people understand the difference

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

“Do you often dream things that happen, just as you dreamed them?”

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Slotducks posted:

people posting/talking about their dreams is always so boring and uninteresting.

kiimo posted:

extreme duncan idaho vibes

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Ithle01 posted:

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion, but it takes more suspension of disbelief than I can muster to think that Jason Momoa would be horrified by an invitation to a muscle lady orgy so I guess that means he's not the ideal Duncan. Although from what a friend told me Momoa was apparently really enthusiastic about the role so that's cool.

:hmmyes:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ithle01 posted:

was that friend me in this thread

kiimo posted:

I think there's a reason they cast Mamoa as a character who dies almost immediately and why he went nuts when they casted him and was screaming in the parking lot and scared my brother lol

kiimo posted:

Yes. He had just gotten cast as Duncan and my brother was there in the parking lot heading in to pitch a script and out comes Momoa screaming like a loving viking and understandably when you see Khal Drogo running around screaming at the top of his lungs and pushing on cars it can take you back a step.

It was at that moment I suspected we're going to see God Emperor in some fashion someday. Nobody screams like that for a role this small.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

was that friend me in this thread

Actually no, not directly, but the friend in question is also a goon so it might've been secondhand because that sounds similar to what I remember. Weird.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Slotducks posted:

*Jim Stare into the camera while he's being told he's not Duncan Idaho, but instead a thing called Hayt undergoing mentat training*

I think the Jim stare at camera trick would be a lot less effective with Tleilaxu eyes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jim and Pam as Count Fenring and Margot

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I hope my local kino does a double-header of DUNC and DUNC II: Battle For Arrakis.

feedmegin posted:

The Atreides, the Fremen don't use shields in the first place (pisses off worms, iirc)
You're right, it's the Atreides that get shelled by artillery.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kalel posted:

xpost from the BYOB dream journal thread

... a message from the deep...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

timefly posted:

I pictured Duncan as Karl UrbanMac from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia when I was reading the book lol.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

regular mac, fatmac or rippedmac?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

drunkill posted:

regular mac, fatmac or rippedmac?

Yes.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

My sibling has gotten in on the shitposting.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

meesa will kill him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Beast Rabban did want to use them on the Freman but the Baron was basically like "Haha, no, gently caress you."

I do think one of the funnier jokes in Dune is that Rabban is right about almost everything he says and the Baron is just like "Oh, you stupid moron, you complete idiot, you don't know what you're talking about."

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

kiimo posted:

also lmao remember the courtship of princess leia haha that just popped into my head but perhaps we've discussed this topic enough

I had to make one more post because I just remembered children of the Jedi by Barbara hambly where Luke gets a girlfriend with the soul and mind of a thousand years old Jedi and the body of his nubile young student.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
One time a lady asked me the last book I read and I said dune and she said “oh the racist kids book? Cool.” So what say you?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Invoke the Amtal rule, she seeks to put a Spell on u

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I rewatched the 1984 movie again in its entirety and one of the weirdest moments is where the Baron learns about Alia and starts flipping out and screaming. I swear it's one of the weird edits that must have been meant for some other dialogue or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4efFOCJNnLg&t=123s

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lol I had forgotten how shaggy Gurney got, Sir Patty Stew rockin the skullet.

Creepy rear end Alia was one of the best things in the Lynch Dune imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
i started my yearly rereading of the six books* early to prepare my balls of ibad for dunc deux and reached the part in dune where jessica is in the sietch and someone sticks their hand through the curtains and hands her coffee and she drinks it and thinks "man, i'm glad the sietch has this weird hivemind because of all these space drugs, i don't even have to worry about being poisoned by mystery gloryhole coffee" and it got me thinking

do you guys think there's an inverse of that in jacurutu, where people offer you stuff and you immediately reject it because you know you're all water stealing shitheads, of course this fucker pissed in the literjon?

* the only ones that exist, written by the only true duneauthor, pbuh**
** peace piss be unto herbert