Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im the sorry cumrag between the guitar and table that op forgot to throw in the bin before posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Every good book cave needs a cumrag. How else are you going to mop yourself up after a five-hour Sloterdijk binge?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

'Read Some Real Literature: I'm the sorry cumrag'

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nabokov never used a cumrag

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I just finished Light in August by Faulkner. Really enjoyed it. It was only my third Faulkner. I first read him last year after finishing everything by Cormac McCarthy. I have Go Down Moses from the library, which I’ll get to in a few months. Then I’ll go for Absalom, Absalom! after that.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

cryptoclastic posted:

I just finished Light in August by Faulkner. Really enjoyed it. It was only my third Faulkner. I first read him last year after finishing everything by Cormac McCarthy. I have Go Down Moses from the library, which I’ll get to in a few months. Then I’ll go for Absalom, Absalom! after that.

Hell yeah.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just skip to Absalom it is an incredible work.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Every good book cave needs a cumrag. How else are you going to mop yourself up after a five-hour Sloterdijk binge?

Nobody can read Sloterdijk for more than about 20-25 minutes at a time. It's never happened.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

mdemone posted:

Nobody can read Sloterdijk for more than about 20-25 minutes at a time. It's never happened.

There's an extremely funny and disgusting joke here about "Foams" but it only works in the original German

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Gaius Marius posted:

Just skip to Absalom it is an incredible work.

I’m saving it for that moment when I really need a banger.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

mdemone posted:

Just because I posted these in another thread, thought I would show off here:

There are a bunch of non-fiction shelves in the hall but they're boring

very nice but why are non-book objects blocking views of the wonderful books? (actually I was recently in a similar situation but decided to remove any clutter, it's a personal preference)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

very nice but why are non-book objects blocking views of the wonderful books? (actually I was recently in a similar situation but decided to remove any clutter, it's a personal preference)

I tend to clutter personal spaces with little tidbits. Brings me comfort. Like a crow might decorate a nest.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Gaius Marius posted:

I dislike Audiobooks

Luckily I've gotten Macbeth, Romeo and Juliette, and Hamlet under my belt plus I've played Othello before. Figured I've got most my bases covered.

king lear is an exceptional and deeply beautiful work of art, imo shakespeare's best. just some truly moving language in that play. also "out, vile jelly!"

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

Cephas posted:

king lear is an exceptional and deeply beautiful work of art, imo shakespeare's best. just some truly moving language in that play. also "out, vile jelly!"

I should memorise this one and recite it verbatim whenever someone asks me what star sign I am:

quote:

This is the excellent foppery of the world, that, when we are sick in fortune, often the surfeit of our own behaviour, we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars; as if we were villains on necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treachers by spherical pre-dominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers by an enforc'd obedience of planetary influence; and all that we are evil in, by a divine thrusting on. An admirable evasion of whore-master man, to lay his goatish disposition to the charge of a star! My father compounded with my mother under the Dragon's Tail, and my nativity was under Ursa Major, so that it follows I am rough and lecherous. Fut! I should have been that I am, had the maidenliest star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardizing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cephas posted:

No clue how close it is to the play but Kurosawa's Ran is by and by far my favorite work of his. Maybe I'll give the play a glance

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

It’s gotta lotta good stuff

https://youtu.be/YRc49mytN_Y?si=MvV9OA5O6JPO6SDb?feature=shared

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lobster Henry posted:

I should memorise this one and recite it verbatim whenever someone asks me what star sign I am:

Fut!

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

You better not be making fun of Shakespearean English, thou whoreson Z! Thou unnecessary letter!

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

mdemone posted:

Just because I posted these in another thread, thought I would show off here:

There are a bunch of non-fiction shelves in the hall but they're boring

Please sort out the order of your LOTR DVDs and Mark Twain autobiogs - the mismatch is doing my head in! :argh:

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Not sure where to start on "Real Literature." Only just got back into reading and am starting with a lot of fantasy (Brandon Sanderson/some grimdark authors), but not sure where to dive into some deep reads. I've been wanting to read Dostoevsky but not sure which translation reads best.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Read crime and punishment, it's great and one of the books that got me into Real Literature. I read the Garnett translation but I'm sure any of them are fine

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

virinvictus posted:

Not sure where to start on "Real Literature." Only just got back into reading and am starting with a lot of fantasy (Brandon Sanderson/some grimdark authors), but not sure where to dive into some deep reads. I've been wanting to read Dostoevsky but not sure which translation reads best.

Pick up Borge's Labyrinths. No other work can show how hollow fantasy is as quickly.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Downloaded both! Cheers!

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

I'm looking at The Consolation of Philosophy on Project Gutenberg. This is from the first paragraph of the intro:

quote:

The belief that what once pleased so widely must still have some charm is my excuse for attempting the present translation. The great work of Boethius, with its alternate prose and verse, skilfully fitted together like dialogue and chorus in a Greek play, is unique in literature, and has a pathetic interest from the time and circumstances of its composition. It ought not to be forgotten. Those who can go to the original will find their reward. There may be room also for a new translation in English after an interval of close on a hundred years.

More translators need to bring this energy imo. "Wrap it up for the next century, lads - I've got this one covered." Accept no competitors!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Isn't that saying the previous translation is a century old, so maybe it's time for a new one?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

cryptoclastic posted:

i have a really awesome old copy of light in august, not a first edition or anything valuable but from the late 30s and in perfect shape.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

Isn't that saying the previous translation is a century old, so maybe it's time for a new one?

I see this as correct

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

virinvictus posted:

give Hunger by Knut Hamsun a go as well, and since you come from genre fic, try Blindness by José Saramago

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Fantasy to Lit is a harder gap to cross than the Sci-Fi route

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Well if you must ruin things with your basic reading comprehension :mad:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Fantasy to Lit is a harder gap to cross than the Sci-Fi route

historical fiction might scratch some of the same itches that sprawling high fantasy epics does

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ulvir posted:

historical fiction might scratch some of the same itches that sprawling high fantasy epics does

Trying to come up with a lit rec for a fantasy reader and coming up short I realised I don't really have a clue what itches the sprawling high fantasy epics scratch

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Very fanciful historical fiction like Salammbô or classic adventure serials like Féval's The Hunchback seem like they would bridge the gap gently while introducing the fantasy reader to significantly better prose than what they're used to

e: Or proto-fantasy like The Worm Ouroboros, philosophical novels like Zadig or Jurgen, satires of chivalric literature like Gargantua or Don Quixote...

lost in postation fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 22, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you're coming from sci-fi, the obvious choice for real literature is Karel Čapek.

Because he wrote sci-fi that was real literature.

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

Like some others in the thread I've been recently reading To the Lighthouse, just finished it and it's some of the best prose I've ever read. Kinda wish this wasn't my first Woolf novel because now I'm afraid I'll be disappointed by the other ones. I'll probably be reading Orlando next

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Invisible Cities is short and a condensation of the distinctive power of fantasy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

olorum posted:

Like some others in the thread I've been recently reading To the Lighthouse, just finished it and it's some of the best prose I've ever read. Kinda wish this wasn't my first Woolf novel because now I'm afraid I'll be disappointed by the other ones. I'll probably be reading Orlando next

Good news! Orlando will be February's BotM!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Peel posted:

Invisible Cities is short and a condensation of the distinctive power of fantasy.

Oh Marquez? It's his second-shittest book.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

no Calvino, and if that's true I'm looking forward to reading the others!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Peel posted:

no Calvino, and if that's true I'm looking forward to reading the others!!

OK sorry I was really drunk. But that's Calvino's worst adult book.