Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Last time I checked Lelouch, Suzaku, CC and Kallen are all running a pizzeria or buying pizza or smth.

Better ending than actual Code Geass tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This is how we make that fantasy MHA art canon.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Was that Star's bracer on the second to last page? The one pointing into the AFO-tinged darkness. It's not All Might's.

sure looks like it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I checked out the GBF wiki and Toga's plot after whatever the event is about is that she sneaks in the ship for food with Twice, they get caught and claim they're looking for someone so they join like everyone in GBF. She ends up finding a monster being bullied, kills the other monsters and also defends it from poachers because she feels kinship from him being different. Before she kills them the MC swoops in with the party to knock out the guys and Toga is confused why are they helping the monster she helped despite being weird and different, and realizes this world is different and the protagonist is kind.

She then decides she will kill the protag and also unlocks the skill that lets her take his blood to transform. The end.

Still better than whatever they've done with her this final arc.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I checked out the GBF wiki and Toga's plot after whatever the event is about is that she sneaks in the ship for food with Twice, they get caught and claim they're looking for someone so they join like everyone in GBF. She ends up finding a monster being bullied, kills the other monsters and also defends it from poachers because she feels kinship from him being different. Before she kills them the MC swoops in with the party to knock out the guys and Toga is confused why are they helping the monster she helped despite being weird and different, and realizes this world is different and the protagonist is kind.

She then decides she will kill the protag and also unlocks the skill that lets her take his blood to transform. The end.

Still better than whatever they've done with her this final arc.

You mean gaslit into suicide while on the cusp of victory?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don’t think that’s what happened

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-412/chapter/41348?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019564

Punching Shigaraki's hand off is kinda cool in a vacuum, but it mostly just reminded me of Nagant shooting his hand off, which was dumb. So it basically nets out.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the revolutionary idea that even the quirkless have an innately human heart

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Can't believe all the previous avatars are telling Aang that killing the fire lord is the only option. I hope he finds a solution to this without having to give up on his beliefs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It was kinda weird that that was a thing to begin with, in retrospect. You’d really think just beating the poo poo out of him and putting fireproof cuffs on him or some poo poo would have been on the table.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Can't believe all the previous avatars are telling Aang that killing the fire lord is the only option. I hope he finds a solution to this without having to give up on his beliefs.

The previous avatars were right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

It was kinda weird that that was a thing to begin with, in retrospect. You’d really think just beating the poo poo out of him and putting fireproof cuffs on him or some poo poo would have been on the table.

At the time of the story he was currently Super Saiyan due to a magic comet and attempting a mass genocide he wasn't going to stop short of being forced to stop, so merely arresting him wasn't really an option as long as he had his full power. It was that or snap his neck because he's about to eye laser burn a bunch of civilians.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mymla posted:

The previous avatars were right.

Yeah, the story doesn't end with Avatar, and we know what the consequences of leaving him and Azula alive are. Spoilers: Not great!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm confused. Is Azula Toga in this example?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Didn't Azula wind up becoming a semi benevolent hermit by the end of it all? I haven't poke Avatar in a long time but I do remember her finishing off better then "broken psychopath"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caidin posted:

Didn't Azula wind up becoming a semi benevolent hermit by the end of it all? I haven't poke Avatar in a long time but I do remember her finishing off better then "broken psychopath"

Dunno, I never read the graphic novels (I’ve also heard a lot of them aren’t that good anyway). As far as the cartoon goes she finished as the latter

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Caidin posted:

She ended up forming a militant group to try and force Zuko to be more authoritarian, doing fun things like blowing up granaries and stealing children. They fell apart because she didn't care about them, being a broken psychopath and all. Ozai would continue scheming in his cell, because why wouldn't he? And people would try to put him back on the throne, because why wouldn't they? Sure those efforts would fail, but bodies got dropped because of them [Arguably the destabilizing effect of leaving him alive contributes to a near war with the Earth Kingdom]. I guess technically that conflict leads to the Republic and fantasy UN being formed, which is....a neutral outcome.

Just killing them would have saved the world some heartache. Hell it would have saved them some heartache.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mulva posted:

She ended up forming a militant group to try and force Zuko to be more authoritarian, doing fun things like blowing up granaries and stealing children. They fell apart because she didn't care about them, being a broken psychopath and all. Ozai would continue scheming in his cell, because why wouldn't he? And people would try to put him back on the throne, because why wouldn't they? Sure those efforts would fail, but bodies got dropped because of them [Arguably the destabilizing effect of leaving him alive contributes to a near war with the Earth Kingdom]. I guess technically that conflict leads to the Republic and fantasy UN being formed, which is....a neutral outcome.

Just killing them would have saved the world some heartache. Hell it would have saved them some heartache.

Ah well, it was probably worth a try.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The problem with killing people to avoid future trouble is that it instead makes different trouble. It would not be wrong of Deku to ice Shigaraki but we’re not watching the story of How I Created An Optimal Outcome

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think any story really needs to go into the morals of if it is logical to execute captured prisoners because they might escape and do something bad in the future, because that only works in a setting where prison can't work because the story demands it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It seems silly to say "if only they had done X, history would have ended and no more marketable stories would have followed from those events." Sure they would have, they just would have been different.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think any story really needs to go into the morals of if it is logical to execute captured prisoners because they might escape and do something bad in the future, because that only works in a setting where prison can't work because the story demands it.

This is a pretty common issue with settings where people have superpowers, honestly. Figuring out how to reduce someone's ability to commit serious harm is substantially more complicated when their ability to commit harm is an inherent part of their biology.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 22, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

extrajudicial executions of minors are badass - said leftishly

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Endorph posted:

hes 21, old enough to fry for his mass-murdering ways imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

This is a pretty common issue with settings where people have superpowers, honestly. Figuring out how to reduce someone's ability to commit serious harm is substantially more complicated when their ability to commit harm is an inherent part of their biology.

To be honest I'm not sure it is precisely. A problem with a lot of these kinds of settings is that they absolutely have the ability to do so within the confines of the story but being effective at doing that means that you lose the drama of a captured/defeated villain returning, so by the necessity of drama they have to fail but story obviously can't acknowledge that so any escape has to be presented as something unexpected. It's the ol' "Why doesn't Batman kill The Joker" question and the in-universe answer is "Because Arkham Asylum is a well-funded high-tech prison from which nobody should be able to escape" as much as the out-of-universe answer is "Because The Joker is marketable and nothing would keep him from coming back, including Batman killing him."

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Kanos posted:

it turns out the answer to "superpowers make this guy inherently dangerous" can always be "it is nullified by more superpowers or some kind of superpowered magic or technology"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'm not sure it is precisely. A problem with a lot of these kinds of settings is that they absolutely have the ability to do so within the confines of the story but being effective at doing that means that you lose the drama of a captured/defeated villain returning, so by the necessity of drama they have to fail but story obviously can't acknowledge that so any escape has to be presented as something unexpected. It's the ol' "Why doesn't Batman kill The Joker" question and the in-universe answer is "Because Arkham Asylum is a well-funded high-tech prison from which nobody should be able to escape" as much as the out-of-universe answer is "Because The Joker is marketable and nothing would keep him from coming back, including Batman killing him."

The real surprising thing isn't Batman never killing the Joker, it's general public sentiment in Gotham not rising to such a fever pitch about him breaking out of prison and killing hundreds of people for the hundredth time that the state executes him. It's way more believable for a single person like Batman(or Deku, to keep this relevant to the manga) to stick to an incorruptible moral code than it is to imagine greater society doing so.

The Joker is a funny example, though, since he explicitly doesn't have superpowers of any sort and he's just a really smart and evil crazy guy.

Valentin posted:

it turns out the answer to "superpowers make this guy inherently dangerous" can always be "it is nullified by more superpowers or some kind of superpowered magic or technology"

There's honestly very few settings I can think of where this is actually done, oddly enough. A lot of them go out of their way to have prison be horribly inhumane or not work at all, as in the aforementioned example of Batman with the Revolving Door of Arkham or in MHA where sufficiently dangerous prisoners are locked in permanent iron maiden strait jackets that restrict all movement and have guns pointed at their face 24/7.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

MHA where sufficiently dangerous prisoners are locked in permanent iron maiden strait jackets that restrict all movement and have guns pointed at their face 24/7.

I think that was only All for One.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They put other people in the straitjackets too, though they might not leave them in them constantly.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah that about sums up the last fifty pages

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

Insert that one comic where wolverine kills a teenager because his mutant power is to disintegrate everyone around him here.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

The fight and the arc has gone on for a while, so if someone can help clarify, I would appreciate it. Wasn't the point of tomb supposed to be a safeguard to prevent Shimura from decaying the Earth? So if Deku brings Shimura back onto Earth now that he has his quirks back, isn't the Earth at jeopardy?

It took a year to finally reach this Chekhov's Gun since Earth being at jeopardy is preventing Deku from focusing a strong move to incapacitate Shimura. Again, why did Deku bring Shimura back onto Earth?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Flair posted:

It took a year to finally reach this Chekhov's Gun since Earth being at jeopardy is preventing Deku from focusing a strong move to incapacitate Shimura. Again, why did Deku bring Shimura back onto Earth?

Because currently the only thing holding up UA is Gentle and also UA wasn't actually able to contain Shigaraki anyway.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Gentle was too powerful for Mr. Shiggums and he noped out of there ASAP to avoid being pulverized by them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Gentle was too powerful for Mr. Shiggums and he noped out of there ASAP to avoid being pulverized by them.
I deeply love the interpretation that Shigaraki hosed off because he knew that somehow Gentle Criminal was a hard counter to him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Number 6's memory of The Crawler forcefully imprinted on Shigaraki for just such an occasion.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shigaraki definitely subscribed to Gentle. 100%

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It even sort of holds up since I think Gentle can just kind of bounce you in the air? Getting tumble tossed on an invisible trampoline until somebody cuts your torso in half: the true Gamer's route

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

As long as they killed 10 or more people, it’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Horikoshi sorta confusedly/poorly and through shonen level scope: Systemic societal and cultural issues can lead to abused and disadvantaged people becoming criminals but they should still be treated with compassion and empathy somewhat.

Shonen comic readers who are mostly just thinking about how they wanted Sasuke to die: They’re super Hitler and must be destroyed actually.