Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Taxman posted:

My shame will be recorded for all time; it's what I deserve for forgetting the brilliance of the starlet of our time, Timeless Toni Storm!

I hope this doesn't wreck her pork dinner! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping and reminding that the deadline for lists is midnight Eastern on the 24th of January. That's... soon!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gonna keep being annoying and bumping this thread for visibility, there are at least 30 of you out there that have Top Ten lists in you just BEGGING to be let out into the wild!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Fine.

I almost solely watch AEW, so my rankings reflect that. If this thread asked this question in August, MJF would have been at the top of my list. But man oh man, what a difference a couple of months makes.

10. Toni Storm: While I am growing tired of her gimmick, and wasn't a fan of her with the Outcasts, I like her enough in the ring for me to ignore the other stuff.

9. Christian: Went from someone I was just happy with being able to still wrestle, to someone I want to watch every week.

8. Powerhouse Hobbs: I love big beefy dudes, and Miro didn't do much this past year.

7. Samoa Joe: Since his early days, Joe has always had an aura around him. I just love watching him destroy guys.

6. Kris Statlander: I wish the women's division was better. She is on the show more than most, but I still want to see more of her. And not just her, but others like Shida, Riho, or Rose, to name a few.

5. Adam Page: He should be higher on this list, but wasn't a huge fan of how they used him last year. Hoping 2024 is better.

4. Bryan Danielson: The GOAT. I think he may be my favourite wrestler of all-time.

3. Eddie Kingston: He's one of those rare talents that makes me interested in everything he's involved in.

2. Swerve Strickland: I remember seeing people hyping him up when he first came to AEW, and I didn't see it at first because I am a moron. But he slowly won me over, and he went from me perceiving him as the "other guy" in the Keith Lee team, to the one of the main reasons I keep watching the show.

1. Orange Cassidy: His title reign was amazing. Always seems to have banger after banger after banger. Was always one of my favourites, but really found another gear this past year, somehow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

More than fine. Good!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wondering if I should do a list

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXE8LdXzeHM

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

I wouldn't bother tbh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I try to watch anything that gets buzz in puro but I only really regularly watch njpw and a little stardom so my favourites will be drawn heavily from those promotions.

Honourable mentions.

In a tough year in the industry as things didn't quite bounce back as well as everyone would have liked and the threat of cashed up US promotions looms large I got a lot of enjoyment out of a few younger wrestlers who just swung for the fences. Kosei Fujita (njpw), ryohei Oiwa (njpw) and Hanan (stardom) stand out as three wrestlers this year that really stood up and gave this old man a lot of joy.

Ren narita - the heel turn came a little late but I'm really digging darth ren right now.

Let's get this started

10. Gabe Kidd (njpw) an interesting year for bullet club in njpw. David Finlay for some insane reason decided to dye his hair black and instantly looked like a poor man's Jay white despite wrestling very different to him. The heel turn of coughlin, Connors and drilla was a much needed shot in the arm. It added a sort of insane energy to BC. However those guys don't quite reach the pure chaos of gabe Kidd. His match with Kiyomiya was in my top 10 matches of the year. His promos are excellent. A top year gabe

9. Mei Seira (stardom) mei is a wrestler I didn't know a lot about before she returned to wrestling in April this year but since then she has become one of my favourites. An absolute workhorse on the house shows who shines every chance she gets. One of stardoms real mvps in a very difficult year.

8. Kaito Kiyomiya (noah) he's literally the best baby face in wrestling imo. His fire is second to none. It is actually crazy to me how stop start his pushes have been because the dude just gets you behind him.

7. Maika (stardom) stardoms year of injuries had the benefit of two talents (one will be featured later in this list) working insanely hard to salvage something out of the year. Maikas efforts in the back end of the year were immense and this red belt run is well deserved

6. Yota Tsuji (njpw) almost comically arrogant but absolutely backs it up. Tsuji is best summed up by his crises of confidence before the match against umino, winning it and immediately talking poo poo.

5. Master wato (njpw) - this was a very good year for wato who grew in confidence and had my second favourite njpw match of the year against titan.

4. Suzu Suzuki ( stardom) suzu has been since the moment I first saw her wrestle tomoka inaba at taka taichimania a wrestler I just love. This was a very good year as she settled in as a full time stardom worker. Her efforts with maika at the back end of the year show a maturity not often seen in a 21 year old.

3. Tetsuya Naito (njpw) he's certainly got a lot of work ahead of him in 2024 but his 2023 was excellent too. Had my match of the year in the g1 final and is just an insanely charismatic worker

2. Shota Umino (njpw) listen we all agree he's a bit of a dork. He comes out carrying another wrestlers jacket but there is an insane earnestness from Shota that makes him extremely likeable. On the surface the package really shouldn't work especially on me a 40 year old westerner but I just love the guy. Another guy who has a lot of work in 2024 because

1. Kazuchika Okada (njpw) the best big match wrestler of all time. Okadas top moments (his heel antics at the all together show, his grumpy old man act) were incredible. I probably only got motivated to do this list because it's the last time I'm going to be voting for this dude. Not even the rainmaker is getting me to watch yank TV wrestling. I'll miss the big man.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Honorable Mentions:
  • Saori Anou (Stardom)
  • Rhea Ripley (WWE)
  • Mike Bailey (Impact/TNA)
  • Bryan Keith (freelance)
  • Katsuhiko Nakajima (NOAH/AJPW)

10. Chris Brookes (DDT) - Years ago, I remember the rumors of Chris Brookes possibly going to NJPW, whether him or ELP. And while ELP has had success in NJPW, I think Chris Brookes has done an amazing job with being in DDT, grinding and hustling around the scene and also with the Baka Gaijin series of produce shows. I remember that one match against Kazusada Higuchi that was gnarly as hell with the ringpost spot and that still stands out. In any case, once he's healed up he will have an amazing 2024.

9. Guilia (Stardom) - I'll be honest, her wrestling is okay. A bunch of power moves, a pretty good set of finishers. But she shines so much more with everything else; looks, charisma, etc. Wherever she goes, she will bring success.

8. Bryan Danielson (AEW) - I personally frown against working through injuries, but if Father Time demands payment for all the work throughout the past 20-25 years, I figured Bryan has (and will make) the time to ensure each day is spent before he really starts to slow down.

7. Unagi Sayaka (freelance) - Leaving a cornerstone like Stardom to go independent and travel around the world to make a name is hard these days. But from what I've seen with the eel in 2023, it looks like it has worked. And to culminate with her own successful Produce show at the start of 2024 has paid off. She'll be fine moving forward.

6. Athena (ROH) - Pretty much one of the few workhorses of ROH and keeping the name alive, regardless of gender. She's amazing and have enjoyed her character development throughout the year.

5. Maika (Stardom) - At the start of the year, I had her positioned in the Hirooki Goto tier of "always being the bridesmaid, never the bride" when it comes to getting the big one (coincidentally they were a team at one point). Losing her tag partner Himeka to retirement and losing the 5-Star Grand Prix final to Suzu Suzuki illustrated this further, especially when she broke down in tears post-match. But by eventually climbing out of that slump, gaining a new ally like Megan Bayne, and getting the Red belt title shot to face off (and win) against Suzu at Dream Queendom took away all prior expectations of her.

4. Eddie Kingston (AEW/NJPW/ROH) - The heart and soul of pro wrestling. The guy that, despite the looks, can make the crowd invested in trying to win every promo, every match, etc. There is a need for someone like Eddie Kingston.

3. Gunther (WWE) - I don't watch a lot of WWE these days, but whenever there's a highlight, I make the effort to check it out because of Gunther. Sometimes simple and clean is what's needed. And there's no better than the Ring General.

2. Jon Moxley (AEW/NJPW) - You want a death match? Or a strong style match? Or both? Or anything really? Whatever, he's your guy, he'll do it all. And god bless him for it.

1. Will Ospreay (NJPW/AEW/everywhere) - No additional words needed.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

It might show but I've basically only watched h2o, icw, and gcw this year. Want to throw a shout out to Jordan Oliver, who has had nothing but killer matches in front of tiny South Jersey crowds but massive stinkers at the big gcw shows. These are all indie wrestlers and I only put ages for the wrestlers on cagematch because last year I accidentally found out too much information when trying to age someone. Included is my favorite match of the year from each wrestler and all of them are on iwtv or that vk channel that uploads US indie deathmatch and also non-dm h2o shows

10. Lowlife Louie Ramos (47)
Louie leaves in all in the ring every time and you can't help but love the guy as he does the most obvious blade jobs and sloppiest Hogan moves you've ever seen.
vs Schwartzy, RPW Street Trash, April 2

9. Mickie Knuckles (39)
Aunt Mickie always shows up and had my match of the year against lufisto at icw mania weekend
vs Lufisto, ICWNHB 44, March 31

8. KRULE (38)
He's tall and doesn't sell, can't get cooler than that in pro wrestling
IWTV The Death of..., October 31

7. 1 Called Manders (30)
His work as a heel in h2o was amazing, I wanted to murder him this year. I could watch him beat the holy hell out of people all day, everyday
vs Ryan Redfield, H2O Uncharted Territory, November 13

6. Ryan Redfield
Big Red, Manders erstwhile tag team partner in h2o, is another guy I could watch beat the poo poo out of people forever. He's a guy with a really unique story in wrestling, using things that could definitely be considered disabilities especially in this business to his big time benefit. Working with Manders really pushed him to another level and he had my favorite match of this season of uncharted territory with hoodfoot, someone else appearing on my list
vs Hoodfoot, H2O Uncharted Territory, December 18

5. Dr. Redacted
Self destructive, out of control moron, shlak without the baggage. The sheer violence in his work twinges that lizard part of my brain.
vs Matt Tremont, RPW Street Trash, April 2

4. Marcus Mathers (21)
It's so cool that he's getting national exposure with GCW, I remember when he was a literal child.
vs Zachary Wentz, SHP All I Want 2, July 13

3. The Hoodfoot
He's such a good deathmatch wrestler it's easy to forget he can wrestle a straight match at an elite level too. The way I was introduced to him was on the paradigm pro shoot style pandemic shows even
vs John Wayne Murdoch, ICWNHB 48, June 17

2. Austin Luke
Him, Marcus, and Big Red were all from the same class of Tremont's students at h2o and while I'm attached to all of them, Austin stands out. From what was a shibata tribute act to a blend of every roh main eventer from the 00s to now a special wrestler in his own right. His match against Tremont this year in particular was next level and me hooting and hollering all over the place.
vs Matt Tremont, H2O Barbed Wire Showdown, July 29

1. Matt Tremont (35)
The greatest American deathmatch wrestler of all time
vs Jun Kasai, GCW Fight Club, October 8

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Big Dave posted:

5. Dr. Redacted
Self destructive, out of control moron, shlak without the baggage. The sheer violence in his work twinges that lizard part of my brain.
vs Matt Tremont, RPW Street Trash, April 2

The good Dr is also a self professed lover of Crocs and a Disney Adult, truly sicko stuff

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

1 Called Manders rules :hai:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rarity posted:

Zzzzzzzzz

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the deadline for submissions is in 4 hours and 54 minutes, folks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Deadline for submissions is midnight Eastern on the 24th of January (so technically the 25th!), please post a list, you won't get another chance for a year!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If I were waiting for the last minute to post a list, I wouldn't. after all what difference could one list make?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

what difference could one list make?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
10. Kazuchika Okada
9. Orange Cassidy
8. Will Ospreay
7. Maki Itoh
6. Eddie Kingston
5. Jay White
4. Christian Cage
3. Zack Sabre Jr.
2. SANADA
1. Athena

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/jYG4tFY.mp4

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Actually don't think I'll do a list this year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsBnDldZg3o

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
10. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW, 36)
9. Jon Moxley (AEW, 38)
8. Eddie Kingston (AEW, 42)
7. MJF (AEW, 27)
6. "Hangman" Adam Page (AEW, 32)
5. Kenny Omega (AEW, 40)
4. Christian Cage (AEW, 50)
3. Will Ospreay (NJPW, 30)
2. Swerve Strickland (AEW, 33)
1. Bryan Danielson (AEW, 42)

DMCrimson fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 27, 2024

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
10. PAC
legitimately the most perfect wrestler in the world

9. Kazuchika Okada
what else can you say about this man

8. Chuck Taylor
another year not allowed to say poo poo

7. Hiromu Takahashi
please let this man cook with the heavyweights

6. Will Ospreay
I'm fired up for Will Ospreay's 2024

5. Orange Cassidy
Jane is the best entrance song of all time

4. Athena
has whipped real hard this year

3. Eddie Kingston
the realest

2. Bryan Danielson
has been my favorite wrestler going on 20 years but he did such a good job getting the next guy over that he dropped down. sorry Bryan!

1. Hangman Adam Page
if anything bad happens to Adam Page ever again I'm gonna go bananas

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
1. Eddie Kingston - It's cliché, but Eddie really does make it seem as if it's all real to him, and I love him for it.
2. Bryan Danielson – Really makes anything he's involved in better, unreal talent in every way.
3. Swerve Strickland – Swerve just oozes charisma, and delivers in-ring every time.
4. Orange Cassidy – The workhorse of 2023, unbelievable run last year.
5. Christian Cage- Max got it wrong, Christian is our scumbag.
6. Samoa Joe- Never really saw a ton of Joe before AEW, how was he not a megastar for the last 20 years?
7. Kris Statlander- Solid worker, and I love her awkward, nerdy energy.
8. Sting- Love to see Sting's late career resurgance, he's done a pretty good job of hiding his weaknesses and using his strengths. Just didn't expect his strength being jumping off high poo poo.
9. Julia Hart- She is so loving cool. Putting it together nicely in-ring, and does a ton of little things to make the complete package work so well.
10. Jeff Jarrett- For the third straight year, JJ gets the 10th slot based solely on “how the gently caress am I enjoying Jeff Jarrett in 2023 when I hated him in the 90's?” This spot is his until he retires or Tony & Jeff screw it up.

HM's: MJF, Konosuke Takeshita, Matt Menard, Hikaru Shida, Darby Allin, Willow Nightingale, Hangman Adam Page, Kenny Omega, El Hijo del Vikingo, Komander, Mark Briscoe

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

10) Leva Bates

9) Keith Lee

8) Will Osprey

7) Swerve Strickland

6) Eddie Kingston

5) Thekla

4) Miya Yamashita

3) Christian Cage

2) Ruby Soho

1) Katsuyori Shibata

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

10. Satoshi Kojima
There has been no greater joy in wrestling this year than watching this man crush CM Punk's balls with an elbow drop.

9. MJF
Despite a rocky end of his title reign, he's responsible for some of the best matches of the years and he's still constantly proving that he's still one of the best wrestlers out there.

8. Konosuke Takeshita
book this man more, he should absolutely be a champion.

7. Athena
The only reason to watch Ring of Honor.

6. Christian Cage
This man is having his career renaissance as the Father of AEW.

5. Kenny Omega
Please get well Kenneth.

4. Orange Cassidy
The man that elevated sloth to an artform becoming THE workhorse champion was not what I expected but hey.

3. Swerve Strickland
So goddamned cool.

2. Jon Moxley
The ace of the world and AEW.

1. Bryan Danielson
The best in the goddamned world.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's 69 minutes left

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
10. Keith Lee

9. Drew McIntyre

8. Utami Hayashishita

7. Swerve Strickland

6. Athena

5. Hikaru Shida

4. Eddie Kingston

3. Samoa Joe

2. Jamie Hayter

1. Ricky Starks

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

35 minutes left to get your list in. plenty of time if you start now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All lists recorded up to mooseinfants, great to see a few more entries coming in. We're just at 80 submissions so far, well above our lowest in 2020 but still below the 100+ we have gotten in every other year, so get 20+ of your friends to put in a Top Ten, they have just over 24 hours from the time of this post to get it done!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

can i submit a couple extra lists for my friends who are behind me as i post this

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
10) Toni Storm (28, AEW)
9) Will Ospreay (30, NJPW)
8) Bryan Danielson (42, AEW)
7) Konosuke Takeshita (28, AEW and DDT)
6) Willow Nightingale (29, AEW)
5) Jon Moxley (38, AEW)
4) VENY (25, freelance)
3) Swerve Strickland (33, AEW)
2) Miu Watanabe (24, TJPW)
1) Eddie Kingston (42, AEW)

Goblin Queen fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 24, 2024

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

3 hours left for any stragglers. get your list counted

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

With the Rumble coming up on Saturday (I thought it was going to be next week!) I've decided to extend the deadline for submissions till Friday at Midnight Eastern, in the hope of picking up some more entries from people popping by to watch the Rumble.

:siren: So you have till Midnight Eastern on January 26th to get in your Top Ten! :siren:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nice, gives me time to submit a list

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

More lists! More lists!!!

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

https://youtu.be/B6_KooLMwvM?si=yolu1l1fwWR4SIGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1pkjKtTBLY

It’s very important everyone watches the first 15 seconds of this video. You can turn it off after, but you don’t have to. Your call.