Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Also this one (accidentally unspoiled comment no longer really spoilerish, the rest of the post definitely contains patreon spoilers though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Griddle of Love posted:

Just this one instance that I can see? Seems to just lack the open spoiler tag

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831668&pagenumber=402#post537273897

Oh, I thought he was referring to one of the recent posts I just made.

Sorry about that one! I just fixed the tags on it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Katalepsis: big fan of the Concern any time it seems like Heather may have Gone Online.

“I … I say … ” I huffed. “I say that I’m hardly a ‘hot girlfriend’. Tch! I’m a scrawny little weirdo with tentacles, seven semi-independent versions of myself, and the instincts of a badly behaved squid hybrid. I’m officially ‘scrungly’, last I checked.”

Raine and Evelyn shared a sudden, concerned glance. Evelyn cleared her throat and said: “Heather, who taught you that word?”

“I saw it on the internet,” we said. “On a video about cuttlefish.”

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Random SupSup thoughts here:
SupSup 105+: So Alden took Burden of Enchantment. The affixiation bonus he got was a soul enchantment. Can he yank the enchantment off own soul? Off of others?

I don't think he's really tried to preserve a person at all since Kibby, apart from the insane teacher lady, and that was only for a minute.

SupSup 60 and sort of 110 She offers him a whole second B-Rank affixation instead of upgrading Bearer, if he wanted it. I wonder what the list for that would have looked like. Would it have been only Rabbit skills at B rank, or would it have been any B-rank affixation? Would it have been assigned randomly and he'd have had to go through the hells of class-trading again? I wonder what the rules for Lute's second skill were.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 22, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nettle Soup posted:

Random SupSup thoughts here:
SupSup 105+: So Alden took Burden of Enchantment. The affixiation bonus he got was a soul enchantment. Can he yank the enchantment off own soul? Off of others?

I don't think he's really tried to preserve a person at all since Kibby, apart from the insane teacher lady, and that was only for a minute.

SupSup 60 and sort of 110 She offers him a whole second B-Rank affixation instead of upgrading Bearer, if he wanted it. I wonder what the list for that would have looked like. Would it have been only Rabbit skills at B rank, or would it have been any B-rank affixation? Would it have been assigned randomly and he'd have had to go through the hells of class-trading again? I wonder what the rules for Lute's second skill were.

Alden preserved a few people in the practical tests to join his hero highschool aside from the teacher.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm pretty sure (SupSup RR chapters only IIRC) getting new skills offered as level up rewards is a normal thing. It's been mentioned that getting offered new skills of your rank doesn't usually happen until much higher levels, but that's pretty clearly a matter of how much free authority you have, and Alden explicitly had reached the point where his free authority was at least equal to his bound authority. Therefor his level up reward could be equal to his initial skill. So if he'd taken it it would probably work the same as another avowed getting offered a new skill of their rank as a level up reward.

Would it be limited to rabbit skills? Normally probably, but maybe not when it was Mother offering it. When the Earth system was trying to get Alden to accept a level up it specified that it could offer him spell impressions that weren't normally available to Rabbits, implying the system has some say there.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Bremen posted:

I'm pretty sure (SupSup RR chapters only IIRC) getting new skills offered as level up rewards is a normal thing. It's been mentioned that getting offered new skills of your rank doesn't usually happen until much higher levels, but that's pretty clearly a matter of how much free authority you have, and Alden explicitly had reached the point where his free authority was at least equal to his bound authority. Therefor his level up reward could be equal to his initial skill. So if he'd taken it it would probably work the same as another avowed getting offered a new skill of their rank as a level up reward.

Would it be limited to rabbit skills? Normally probably, but maybe not when it was Mother offering it. When the Earth system was trying to get Alden to accept a level up it specified that it could offer him spell impressions that weren't normally available to Rabbits, implying the system has some say there.

SupSoup 60+ Yeah, I'm just wondering what the process for that is, really.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

SupSoup 60+ Yeah, I'm just wondering what the process for that is, really.

I'm pretty sure (SupSup 105) it's just the various messages we saw in chapter 105. You get a notification you've leveled and a list of potential rewards you can select. Like when he first affixed and had a list of spell impressions to pick from. No class trading or anything, his class doesn't change.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Imo you should only spoil patreon posts for SS, otherwise this thread gets even more annoying to read.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

yeah, spoilers tags probably aren't needed for freely available chapters outside of like the immediate post-release period.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Katalepsis: big fan of the Concern any time it seems like Heather may have Gone Online.

“I … I say … ” I huffed. “I say that I’m hardly a ‘hot girlfriend’. Tch! I’m a scrawny little weirdo with tentacles, seven semi-independent versions of myself, and the instincts of a badly behaved squid hybrid. I’m officially ‘scrungly’, last I checked.”

Raine and Evelyn shared a sudden, concerned glance. Evelyn cleared her throat and said: “Heather, who taught you that word?”

“I saw it on the internet,” we said. “On a video about cuttlefish.”

How's this series by the way. I'm always a fan of the word "scrungly."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's really good sesquipedalian horror. The scary and just plain weird bits are cut with disaster lesbian relationship elements to help not drive readers completely insane.

The magic system is both eldritch and completely unique. I guess I should say magic systems since there are multiple.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's fantastic. It's the best story I read.*

I know, I know, I read some really bad stuff, but Katalepsis is extremely good and I hesitate to recommend it only because my recommendation might make it look bad. It's not.

Please listen to other people saying it's good.

* ok so it's tied with one other, but recommending the ahem dark academia story about novelty mugs is kind of tricky and it's constructed entirely of red flags so it takes about half an hour to get through the content warnings and "but it's actually good" you have to add to every sentence. Katalepsis only needs that if you're telling people who don't read web serials that it's a web serial.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

90s Cringe Rock posted:

about novelty mugs

:raise:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Novelty mugs are a huge red flag it's true

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

90s Cringe Rock posted:

* ok so it's tied with one other, but recommending the ahem dark academia story about novelty mugs is kind of tricky and it's constructed entirely of red flags so it takes about half an hour to get through the content warnings and "but it's actually good" you have to add to every sentence.

what story is this?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Piell posted:

what story is this?
The Sisters of Dorley.

The content warnings in the description are there for a reason, but it's a fantastic and well-written story. Heartwarming and horrifying, with bad jokes on novelty mugs to balance the two.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I always appreciate it when people take the time to share the stories they like, even if they're not to my personal taste.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Heather with access to memes would be a threat to the fabric of reality.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Hungry posted:

Heather with access to memes would be a threat to the fabric of reality.
Looking up at the Eye: "No ring."

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Once again working on catching up on Katalepsis. I still like it.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Sisters of Dorley.

The content warnings in the description are there for a reason, but it's a fantastic and well-written story. Heartwarming and horrifying, with bad jokes on novelty mugs to balance the two.

Ah, yeah, Dorley. I've seen talk about it on the trans author discord I'm on (the author is also there). Maybe sometime I'll give it a read.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Sisters of Dorley.

Ah, I have heard quite a lot about this one. A friend of mine described it to me as "so good, but so bad, but also so good" which jives with this a lot lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of trans-related serials, I need to read the rest of Pith at some point. I remember enjoying that a lot. It had a really cool scifi/fantasy-ish way of exploring the main duo's issues.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm really pleased Sleyca posted all these extra chapters for Lute's backstory on RR. I was not looking forward to slogging through them. He does a good job of writing them, but reading about a young child being repeatedly bullied has been miserable. Not that Lute has been completely "good" but nothing that should deserve such treatment.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Lute chapters were not especially well-recieved by the Patreon crew. It was a mixture of their length (it was basically a novella) but it also interrupted a major moment in the story for extended flashbacks.

Dropping the chapters together like this does help since it vastly reduces the amount of realtime it takes to conclude this mini-arc, though obviously the word count is the same.

Also, Sleyca is female.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm saving the Lute novella for when it's fully released on RR. I feel like I'll enjoy it more as a discrete experience and it interrupting everything won't bother me as much that way.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think the Lute chapters are great, but they're both a downer and somewhat awkwardly timed. Ultimately, I think having diversions like this is a feature and not a bug of web serials.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Wittgen posted:

I think the Lute chapters are great, but they're both a downer and somewhat awkwardly timed. Ultimately, I think having diversions like this is a feature and not a bug of web serials.

It can be super frustrating but then you get sucked in and welp what was I hanging out for the next part again? Frankly Lute is the only thing keeping me hanging in their with SS, idgaf about chapters that describe an obstacle course over and over and come with character guides for characters you won't give a poo poo about next chapter. Skip ahead 6 months and put Alden in danger again damnit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Lute chapters were not especially well-recieved by the Patreon crew. It was a mixture of their length (it was basically a novella) but it also interrupted a major moment in the story for extended flashbacks.

Dropping the chapters together like this does help since it vastly reduces the amount of realtime it takes to conclude this mini-arc, though obviously the word count is the same.

Also, Sleyca is female.

This isn't actually true? They were better received than the Boe chapters, and if I had to guess roughly 75-80% of comments were positive towards them.

Wittgen posted:

This is my feeling about it. It's the sort of thing where I can understand not personally preferring that sort of content, but it's definitely not "a wrong thing to do."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 24, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also, Sleyca is female.

Yeah. Compared to the Boe chapters, I thought the Lute ones were much more interesting and I didn't dislike them, but they still had downsides of being a very long sidestory in the middle of a cliffhanger, as well as being a big tonal shift. I kinda enjoy SupSup as a light and fun story (though I realize it has its dark moments) and suddenly being all about childhood bullying made it pretty depressing reading. I already got enough of that in Worm.

Sleyca seems to have taken the response to heart, though, and is treating the RR release like a sidestory. On Patreon we didn't have any special warning or labeling of the chapters and every chapter people were wondering if it was going to finish and get back to the main story, and... well, Sleyca posted the schedule of chapter releases in 108 and you can see it's pretty long and imagine how long it took at two chapters a week.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I thought the Lute interlute was a slog, for basically all of the reasons mentioned above. It was a drawn-out side story that interrupted a major cliffhanger, it took the better part of a month to come out, it was deep backstory that didn’t seem to mean much for the “real” story, and the entire thing was about a young boy getting repeatedly kicked in the psychological teeth by everyone around him, intentionally or not. I’m glad that it’s getting posted in full on RR over a short window, because I can imagine it being pretty good when read as a complete work in a couple sittings before getting back to the “real” story.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I actually just started reading SupSupp last week and caught up (with the non-patreon chapters?) today and I'm loving the Lute chapters, if only with the foreknowledge that he does end up in a better place, with some ups and downs gain an S, lose an I and I am ready for the imminent drama/catharsis bomb

Boe and most of the high school drama sucked though, yawn.

Also the Velras seem incredibly entwined with the 'real' story so seeing how they function is important like you find out that the Velras are tied to Mannon in some way, then you get a nice deep dive to see exactly why this is very concerning

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 24, 2024

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Mazerunner posted:

I actually just started reading SupSupp last week and caught up (with the non-patreon chapters?) today and I'm loving the Lute chapters, if only with the foreknowledge that he does end up in a better place, with some ups and downs gain an S, lose an I and I am ready for the imminent drama/catharsis bomb

Boe and most of the high school drama sucked though, yawn.

Also the Velras seem incredibly entwined with the 'real' story so seeing how they function is important like you find out that the Velras are tied to Mannon in some way, then you get a nice deep dive to see exactly why this is very concerning

Yes, all of this. Though I didn't much care for the Bret Easton Ellis vibes of dissecting the pathologies of high society, the Lute episode is foundational for Anesidoran Social Dynamics and has done more to make me curious about the support cast than more than half a dozen rescue exercises, parties and bottom-of-page character guides. Though admittedly that's an abysmally low bar to clear.

It's also taken Hazel from annoying background noise to a very interesting villain status. All her bullshit is so firmly motivated by what her family has taught her and by why her family has treated her well, that it both humanises her as a victim of her upbringing but also dehumanises her as a sort of force of nature who can't help or stop being evil.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Alexander Wales will once again claim the thread title once the current patreon chapter and I once again am like "dude what the gently caress"

The women are large and porcine, 800 pound sows that are incapable of thought or feeling.

Tell us what you really think :o

(Sentence was a joke)

Affi fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 24, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

:stare:

I see.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
drat it's worse than the house

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'm not reading Thresholder because it didn't appeal to me after the first few chapters, but are we about to do another exciting round of "is portrayal endorsement?!"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
beats arguing about the definition of slavery again

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

gonadic io posted:

beats arguing about the definition of slavery again

What, you didn't enjoy people unironically taking the position that being contractually owned by another person didn't count as slavery because reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Megazver posted:

I'm not reading Thresholder because it didn't appeal to me after the first few chapters, but are we about to do another exciting round of "is portrayal endorsement?!"

Not from me I think his speciality is portraying really loving weird poo poo and touching on taboo subjects.

I don't think he endorses these things and is only very good at coming up with really out there things.