Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the names were a giveaway that everything would be resolved in a single chapter but I still appreciated this blithe attempt at a fakeout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This was a very Detective Conan rear end chapter that got instantly derailed by Loid and Anya. Just lol at Anya reading the killers mind thus solving the entire mystery.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

He would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those middling kids actually the most competent trio possible for this exact scenario

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
This chapter was basically just a giant shout out/love letter to Conan, and was wonderful. Those names were so bad they’re amazing

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I appreciate that there was the opportunity to have this be a multi part story about Anya trying to prove Yor’s innocence without revealing her powers while Yor continues to further implicate herself by doing Yor things, but instead the author took the funniest route.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Slightly disappointed that Yor didn't get to fight a giant murderous snowman but the mystery fakeout was good too

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019876

Also, love that Yor isn't entirely sure and just goes "I probably didn't do it". Lady, maybe you should learn to quit while you're ahead?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This chapter is true brilliance.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anya knows how to read a clock now :unsmith:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Slightly disappointed that Yor didn't get to fight a giant murderous snowman but the mystery fakeout was good too

Even for a second, Yor didn't doubt that the Red Snowman exist and that she could kill him. :allears:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Love how this was basically just problem-solving practice for Anya.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Even for a second, Yor didn't doubt that the Red Snowman exist and that she could kill him. :allears:

If she lived in Ankh Morpork, Yor would have gotten a scholarship.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You'd think that Loid would notice that the killer appeared at the exact time and place Anya mentioned, lol. Though I guess "it's a weird coincidence" is still more logical than the reality.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anya knows how to read a clock now :unsmith:

I noticed this too. It goes completely unmentioned but it's a very nice subtle moment. She really is growing and learning.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
lmao this chapter was perfect.

"What a weirdly specific request."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Coca Koala posted:

lmao this chapter was perfect.

"What a weirdly specific request."

Even better is that Lloid still goes to check it out. He’s a good dad.

Honestly, this chapter was great in many small ways.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Very "we're not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in here with *us*" vibes this chapter. It's probably a good thing for the lodge owner that he wasn't a real threat so he never got to see what was behind Yor's Door Number 3.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

One of those chapters that I really enjoy, but I’d be excited to see the anime expand it out into a longer elaborate 22 minuter.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Put the setup (Anya getting the idea from watching Bondman, traveling, etc.) at the end of the previous episode, load it up with portent so people think another Cruise Ship is in the offing. This will allow more time to really pace the next episode: twenty minutes of elaborate setup, moody angles and shadows, and amping-up mystery; Loid declares he will find the murderer, roll credits -- then Anya resolves it in a 45-second post-credit sequence.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Missed opportunity for the culprit to say he would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for the meddling kid and her dumb dog.

rvm
May 6, 2013
What a great way to celebrate Conan's anniversary :allears:

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
This manga is going to have the saddest chapter ever when Bond eventually dies of old age and Anya just sees a white noise-filled void when she looks into his head for future-sight one unfortunate morning.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 22, 2024

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Nice try trying to bring us all down, pal, but the experiments also gave Bond immortality. This is never stated in the series but it is 100% true.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I wanna see ultra-competent mission Loid infiltrating vet offices, trying to save his cool, very old dog. Anya comforts her father when he fails, having been forced to understand and come to grips beforehand. Loid's wife kisses him, having dispatched the secret team of secreter agents assigned to eliminate Dr. Loid Forger, who seems to have uncanny circumstantial knowledge of project FUTUREDOG or whatever it's called.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

tumblr x posting

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will fully admit this chapter got me good. All the setup, the realization of "oh no an incoming murder mystery!" "oh no Yor is bad at everything BUT killing this is bad!" "oh thank goodness Loid is gonna tear this case in ha--"

Anya. Lmao. 5 stars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was thinking the moment it came up "Wait, can't Anya just read everyone's mi- lol, lmao"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Much like in many other moments, I realized Anya could just read the killer's mind, but I thought she would have no way to properly explain it without blowing her cover, which, as we all know, would cause her parents to abandon her.

I could've never expected her to just say what was going to happen and Loid to just follow her words despite not trusting her at all.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

A good spy won't follow unreliable intel.

A *superb* spy like Loid has probably reached the point where he can afford to check out any lead, on the reasonable assumption that he can quickly assess the situation and swiftly move on if it doesn't pan out, or otherwise easily get himself out of any jams it creates. Even if a payoff is highly unlikely, it could be worth the minimal effort to investigate (at least if it's from a source he doesn't expect any hostility from, like Anya).

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 23, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

also anya was probably bugging him about it instead of going to sleep, monster under the bed situation

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I mean let's be real, Loid probably would've cracked the case even without Anya's help but I suppose an argument could be made that maybe he wouldn't have gotten it fast enough to save that one planned victim. He definitely would've gotten the guy before he struck a 3rd time though.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm just glad Guy Luvstaski didn't get hurt.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Demetrius looks a lot like his dad with the stare.

He and Damian both have their mother's eyes, but Demetrius wears his father's facial expression, yeah.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
You can tell that innkeeper doesn't have what it takes to be a real spy. If a real spy stabs someone in the back with an icicle, that person should die instantly. Unless Valve still didn't fix their backstab detection logic.

Did the innkeeper know that the tabloid writer was going to bring up "The Red Snowman"? Usually in these stories, the murderer is the one who first mentions "the monster", but not this time.

... If the innkeeper hates that ski club so much, why doesn't he just refuse to lodge them in the future?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nebrilos posted:

You can tell that innkeeper doesn't have what it takes to be a real spy. If a real spy stabs someone in the back with an icicle, that person should die instantly. Unless Valve still didn't fix their backstab detection logic.

Did the innkeeper know that the tabloid writer was going to bring up "The Red Snowman"? Usually in these stories, the murderer is the one who first mentions "the monster", but not this time.

... If the innkeeper hates that ski club so much, why doesn't he just refuse to lodge them in the future?

Capitalism says it is more justified to take their money and murder them, duh.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Murderers are well-known for their calm, rational thinking.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

The Thorn Princess, (In secret, Yor) is known for her calm and rational murders, yes.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 23, 2024

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nebrilos posted:

He didn't use an icicle, he used a frozen carrot. The implication being that the tabloid reporter's story sparked his desire to kill those meddling kids. Sadly it's quite clear that Ostania is capitalistically inferior, and thus the foolish innkeeper didn't even think of applying outlandish cleaning and nuisance charges to correct the kids' behavior.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
A frozen carrot is just an icicle with a carrot inside. In the hands of an adequate spy, anyone stabbed in the back with it should be instantly killed and turned into an ice sculpture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ImpAtom posted:

Capitalism says it is more justified to take their money and murder them, duh.

I don’t think they live in a capitalist society