Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Guess we know what personal matters Dube and Hart needed to attend to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jamwad Hilder posted:

My favorite thing about the Clifton contract was all the Boston fans saying it would be a dogshit signing because he played for the Bruins in a sheltered role and all the Sabres fans insisting that actually it was really smart because look at how good Clifton's Underlying Numbers are

I feel attacked but also correct.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
If Dube is one, it's very poor taste that he used mental health reasons as why he was stepping away from the game.

It's not mental health, it's sexual assault... You're not struggling with your health, you gang raped an underage girl.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jamwad Hilder posted:

My favorite thing about the Clifton contract was all the Boston fans saying it would be a dogshit signing because he played for the Bruins in a sheltered role and all the Sabres fans insisting that actually it was really smart because look at how good Clifton's Underlying Numbers are
I lost interest in signing Clifton after he played his way to 8th on the depth chart in Boston in the playoffs.

But I thought he'd at least be a small upgrade over the likes of Lyubushkin or the AHL chaff the Sabres had playing for them. I was wrong.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He’s been fine in the past 10 games or so and actually has a decent number of assists too. Erik Johnson has been their biggest defensive liability. Hell, Samuelsson has been worse than Clifton recently. Clifton struggled early because the Galaxy-brained coach put him on his off wing and he couldn’t do it. Once they switched him back he was fine. The Sabres are the ones who signed him based on fancy stats, oh and coincidentally he was in the USA hockey development program under Granato. That probably had more to do with it.

As for GMKA not making big UFA acquisitions, he spent this entire offseason courting Patrick Kane and didn’t get anyone to replace Jack Quinn when they knew he wouldn’t be available until mid-season. He signed several guys who ended up in the AHL (Stillman, Bryson, Jost) which is just dead cap space. My current opinion is that Granato needs to go but GMKA might be able to salvage his job if he makes good acquisitions at the deadline and in the offseason. I just worry that firing him would cause the same chaos as it did the past three times, where the new GM cleaned house and tried to start over and like, what would even be the point of that now? Go into another rebuild for another 3-5 years?

Anyway none of this matters at the moment because the poo poo with the 2018 world junior team is hitting the fan, finally.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mennoknight posted:

If the Oilers got lokomotived it would be ok with me

:yikes:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Misanthrope posted:

If Dube is one, it's very poor taste that he used mental health reasons as why he was stepping away from the game.

It's not mental health, it's sexual assault... You're not struggling with your health, you gang raped an underage girl.

I'm holding out hope that it's that he knew because he's the captain, and he's struggling with not coming forward with info. That's not a great human thing to do, and I'm not excusing it, but it's less evil and his actions are understandable (not defensible) in this poo poo culture.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

mennoknight posted:

I am a trillion percent fine with the Jets winning the cup. I like that they're good.
The Canucks don't have villains anymore and I have friends who work for the team. That's fine, I'm glad they're happy.

If the Oilers got lokomotived it would be ok with me

fuckin lmfao

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1750173679734935944?s=46

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

One weird trick to stop people from talking about the gang rape 5 players participated in.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

One weird trick to stop people from talking about the gang rape 5 players participated in.

All the big-name "insiders" uncritically pushing that press release this morning was discouraging to see

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Wow. After how long this has dragged on for, I didn’t think we’d ever see the names released. Or a charge made.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Twin Cinema posted:

Wow. After how long this has dragged on for, I didn’t think we’d ever see the names released. Or a charge made.

Technically neither of those things have happened yet...

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Flyers have a mid-season press conference in 15 minutes. We'll probably not hear anything from Briere, but I'm sure the question's going to be raised.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
And now Formenton is taking a leave of absence from his Swiss team:

https://x.com/clahanna/status/1750182942444233009?s=46

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Glad they somehow found out early and never signed the fucker, maybe the only morally correct thing done by the Melnyk regime

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Formenton being one of the 5 has been obvious ever since the Sens banished him to Switzerland 2 years ago.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Welp

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

John Scott claims that Corey Perry was terminated for getting shitfaced and hitting on an NBC reporter.

There's 0 chance that's all of the story lol.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

“Alex Formenton is the lone player that has not made any comments to date.”

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nybble posted:

well, looks like we’ll find out who the five players are pretty quickly

https://x.com/rwesthead/status/1750166274041057737?s=20

well, here we go i guess

:ohdear:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

John Scott claims that Corey Perry was terminated for getting shitfaced and hitting on an NBC reporter.

There's 0 chance that's all of the story lol.

"hitting on a reporter" probably means exposing himself to her if I had to fill in the blanks.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Conference just started with this:

"So we are aware of this morning's press reports on a very serious matter. We will respond appropriately when the outcomes of the investigations are made public. The NHL has been very clear that teams should refer all investigation related questions to them. In the meantime, members of the organization including Flyers players will not be commenting any further."

He's done.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
How many millions have these guys made in the last 6 years?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1750187232785269125

Edit: (Marino is American)

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 24, 2024

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah that Briere statement doesn't really give a whole lotta confidence that Hart isn't one of the 5

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Hart, Dube, Foote, McLeod and Formenton

looks to be the 5

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Your possible 2018 Canadian sexual assaulters

GK 1 Colton Point
GK 31 Carter Hart
D 2 Jake Bean
D 3 Conor Timmins
D 6 Callan Foote
D 7 Cale Makar
D 8 Dante Fabbro – A
D 10 Kale Clague – A
D 28 Victor Mete – A
F 9 Dillon Dubé – C
F 11 Jonah Gadjovich
F 12 Boris Katchouk
F 14 Maxime Comtois
F 16 Taylor Raddysh
F 17 Tyler Steenbergen
F 19 Drake Batherson
F 20 Michael McLeod
F 21 Brett Howden
F 23 Sam Steel
F 24 Alex Formenton
F 25 Jordan Kyrou
F 27 Robert Thomas

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I was a hockey fan my whole life until ~5 years ago when I drifted away. I don’t think I'm ever coming back.

:(

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Yeah I've been trying to get into hockey casually the last three years and between the black hawk stuff and this and God knows what else I've missed it doesn't give me a lot of confidence to keep getting into the sport. I don't even want to be a fan of any individual player now lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Your possible 2018 Canadian sexual assaulters

GK 1 Colton Point
GK 31 Carter Hart
D 2 Jake Bean
D 3 Conor Timmins
D 6 Callan Foote
D 7 Cale Makar
D 8 Dante Fabbro – A
D 10 Kale Clague – A
D 28 Victor Mete – A
F 9 Dillon Dubé – C
F 11 Jonah Gadjovich
F 12 Boris Katchouk
F 14 Maxime Comtois
F 16 Taylor Raddysh
F 17 Tyler Steenbergen
F 19 Drake Batherson
F 20 Michael McLeod
F 21 Brett Howden
F 23 Sam Steel
F 24 Alex Formenton
F 25 Jordan Kyrou
F 27 Robert Thomas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBXBo7ZH-E

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Saw this just pop up on Reddit: https://dailyhive.com/toronto/john-scott-corey-perry-blackhawks-oilers

quote:

“He made a mistake in Columbus one night,” Scott, who also works on the NBC Sports Chicago broadcast team, said. “He drank too much and he made a pass at a staff member who worked for NBC.”

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I read elsewhere that a few of the players on that team (including Makar) said they didn't go to the event at all, which is probably in the report that Hockey Canada has been working on trying to kill this story so diligently.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Rapists getting charged finally, Mormons want hockey and now the Perry news. Today's a hot one already

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Briere: "The NHL is fielding questions"

The NHL:

https://twitter.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1750191857991053735

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The NHL sat on this for years waiting for some gigantic gigastory to consume sports media for a week so they could try to sneak the WJC report in under the tsunami. Must've finally gotten to where they couldn't sit on it anymore and so settled for Utah and Creepy Rory.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Those that are tired of the NHL, the PWHL has been off to a good start! No scandals, yet. :negative:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I am actually surprised all of this stuff didn't come out on a Friday afternoon to really try and kill it

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
NHL: "No comment but have you met Miss Utah?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

The NHL sat on this for years waiting for some gigantic gigastory to consume sports media for a week so they could try to sneak the WJC report in under the tsunami. Must've finally gotten to where they couldn't sit on it anymore and so settled for Utah and Creepy Rory.

The delay was the London police investigation not concluding.

They didn’t have to wait on that, but it has been the given reason why they’ve been waiting and the timing holds up.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 24, 2024