Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chainsaw Man already did that. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Chainsaw Man already did that. :colbert:

yeah and Fujimoto got to take a break for a year. I think the same thing would get some of the weaker parts of the story cleaned up and give us a stronger pacing in an imaginary part 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yuji wakes up and everyone hates him. Nobara is there with an eyepatch. Japan has been destroyed and what remains of Jujutsu Academy is flying around on a giant room ship.

Rebuild of Jujutsu

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nobara has been fine for a while, she just left because she's been studying hard to find a good school to get into

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Nobara has been fine for a while, she just left because she's been studying hard to find a good school to get into

I would pay so much money to watch a series starring Leorio and Nobara.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Curses do exist elsewhere they are just rarer. A lot of the special grades Kenjaku collected were from other countries.
This got me thinking on a slightly different tangent. But with the internet being a thing and cursed spirits capable of being formed from the collective unconscious of humanity. How come we have only seen one cursed spirit based off a modern urban legend? Geto had the Split-mouth woman but that's it, other special grades or imaginary class spirits are either primal concepts or ancient myths. I guess Rika counts as a modern creature but she's the result of Yuta's own latent power binding the original's soul to him.

With Japan's culture of online scary stories that then percolate into the popular culture, It'd have been interesting to see other modern tales manifested into reality. Especially with how sorcerer's cursed techniques have begun to adapt to modern technology and there were hints of cursed tapes like from the Ring being mentioned.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Probably because Gege doesn't actually care about the cursed spirit angle of the story and they're mostly just chances to draw weird, hosed up little guys. And he really likes going a more insect route.

Edit: and just perusing the cursed spirit list on the wiki, i forgot he even mentioned that Michizane Sugiwara is "One of Japan's Big 3 Vengeful Spirits" and "A Big shot jujutsu sorcerer" but like is he still around as a cursed spirit? what does it mean to be one of the "big 3"? The story didn't end up really going in a "curse spirit" direction so these little tidbits are just left as light world building.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 23, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

All of that just makes me wish Jujutsu Kaisen got spinoffs showing other things in the setting, like MHA got Vigilantes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Probably because Gege doesn't actually care about the cursed spirit angle of the story and they're mostly just chances to draw weird, hosed up little guys. And he really likes going a more insect route.

Edit: and just perusing the cursed spirit list on the wiki, i forgot he even mentioned that Michizane Sugiwara is "One of Japan's Big 3 Vengeful Spirits" and "A Big shot jujutsu sorcerer" but like is he still around as a cursed spirit? what does it mean to be one of the "big 3"? The story didn't end up really going in a "curse spirit" direction so these little tidbits are just left as light world building.

That's fair. Especially with the disaster curses gone any focus on cursed spirits has been relegated to fodder in fights even more than before.

I think it would be safe to assume that Michizane was either exorcised some time after he became a cursed spirit or in accordance with the real life figure. He was venerated and worshiped as a Kami and that pacified him. Maybe the latter put him in some state of hibernation and he hasn't been triggered since or maybe like Sukuna his body became cursed objects and nobody has been able to locate them or injest them to potentially reincarnate him. As you said, this is mostly just background worldbuilding and nothing that's been developed that far.

Blaze Dragon posted:

All of that just makes me wish Jujutsu Kaisen got spinoffs showing other things in the setting, like MHA got Vigilantes.
The initial premise of a school combating spirits and rogue sorcerers does lend itself to easy material to have side stories for.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Brought To You By posted:

Especially with how sorcerer's cursed techniques have begun to adapt to modern technology and there were hints of cursed tapes like from the Ring being mentioned.

There was the Small Pox Demon, that's halfway there.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brought To You By posted:

This got me thinking on a slightly different tangent. But with the internet being a thing and cursed spirits capable of being formed from the collective unconscious of humanity. How come we have only seen one cursed spirit based off a modern urban legend? Geto had the Split-mouth woman but that's it, other special grades or imaginary class spirits are either primal concepts or ancient myths. I guess Rika counts as a modern creature but she's the result of Yuta's own latent power binding the original's soul to him.

With Japan's culture of online scary stories that then percolate into the popular culture, It'd have been interesting to see other modern tales manifested into reality. Especially with how sorcerer's cursed techniques have begun to adapt to modern technology and there were hints of cursed tapes like from the Ring being mentioned.

Digimon are eating all the digital curses

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
So this was Kenjaku's back up plan? He made Yuji, so Sukuna would actually have someone he would despise. And now that he has someone he despises, he actually has a reason to activate the merger? Okay...

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Flair posted:

So this was Kenjaku's back up plan? He made Yuji, so Sukuna would actually have someone he would despise. And now that he has someone he despises, he actually has a reason to activate the merger? Okay...

No? I don’t even know how you got that reading

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Jerkface posted:

The 3 Great Vengeful Spirits thing isn’t something created for JJK, but an actual thing in Japanese culture where Emperor Sutoku, Taira no Masakado and Sugawara no Michizane are grouped together due to being the three most famous vengeful spirits.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
This thread is going about as well as JJK is atm :byob1:

but seriously it's super loving weird that they introduced Yuji with these wacky flailing tube man arms and we STILL do not know what they poo poo even does, lol

I had a dream last night that it turned out his hands were made of reverse curse energy like Makora's sword. That makes no sense though.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 24, 2024

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Asuron posted:

No? I don’t even know how you got that reading

We know that Yuji is Kenjaku's child, and in chapter 136, Kenjaku said that he had Yuji to consume and awaken Sukuna. Based on what we have seen of Sukuna and what Atsuya said, we know that Sukuna is mostly laissez faire of things that are mostly out of his notice and mostly does as he pleases with whatever comes his way: aside from wanting to kill Gojo and Yuji while stealing Megumi's technique, Sukuna does not have a plan or particular purpose. But having lived with Yuji for so long, he has actually developed a hatred for someone: "You've given me a clear reason to destroy you here and now by crushing all your hopes." Whereas, if Sukuna was 1000 years younger before he met Yuji, he probably would not want to activate the merger and he would have just been satisfied with just killing Yuji, but Sukuna now wants to destroy everything Yuji fights for. That is my read of Kenjaku's backup plan: he wanted someone much stronger than him to be his plan b, but the person at the time would not have wanted to be plan b, so Kenjaku sought a way to give him a reason to be plan b.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Flair posted:

We know that Yuji is Kenjaku's child, and in chapter 136, Kenjaku said that he had Yuji to consume and awaken Sukuna. Based on what we have seen of Sukuna and what Atsuya said, we know that Sukuna is mostly laissez faire of things that are mostly out of his notice and mostly does as he pleases with whatever comes his way: aside from wanting to kill Gojo and Yuji while stealing Megumi's technique, Sukuna does not have a plan or particular purpose. But having lived with Yuji for so long, he has actually developed a hatred for someone: "You've given me a clear reason to destroy you here and now by crushing all your hopes." Whereas, if Sukuna was 1000 years younger before he met Yuji, he probably would not want to activate the merger and he would have just been satisfied with just killing Yuji, but Sukuna now wants to destroy everything Yuji fights for. That is my read of Kenjaku's backup plan: he wanted someone much stronger than him to be his plan b, but the person at the time would not have wanted to be plan b, so Kenjaku sought a way to give him a reason to be plan b.

It does provide a nice contrast to all these weirdos popping out of the woodwork to teach Sukuna what love is. But you can’t teach someone to love something if they don’t know what hate is

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Isnt that a very flimsy backup plan since the jujutsu society was like gonna kill yuji a dozen times

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Unrelated but who is "jujutsu society" with the zen'in dead, and why arent they helping out here?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No Wave posted:

Unrelated but who is "jujutsu society" with the zen'in dead, and why arent they helping out here?

Most of the wider jujutsu society has been shown to be completely selfish assholes, they’d likely have no interest in facing certain death to help save everyone who can’t use CE

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

Most of the wider jujutsu society has been shown to be completely selfish assholes, they’d likely have no interest in facing certain death to help save everyone who can’t use CE
Have we met them? Are there any characters connecting them to the narrative?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, there's Frank

He's at home rewatching Band of Brothers, but he promised Gojo if things got really bad he'd lend a hand

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

No Wave posted:

Have we met them? Are there any characters connecting them to the narrative?

Not really, there's the "higher ups" that Gojo killed who we saw ordering Yuji's death and bossing Yuta around. And there are some allusions to a wider framework (theres great families etc) but I mean, its wild that the Zenin's had like a 150 strong army of jujutsu sorcerers including multiple big badass guys and they were introduced and slaughtered within a few chapters. Like Maki's dad didn't wanna help in Shibuya? Todo was the savior of the 1000 demon parade or whatever and not "some really experienced guys who are the head of this society"? The only culling game people that anyone ran into were reincarnated sorcerers or awakened players and not random other JJ society guys? The only people fighting Sukuna are previously established characters?

The stakes of the story have kind of exceeded the limited focus to where it doesn't really make a ton of sense in universe, but yea we can just go with "everyone else is really selfish and are just trying to save themselves"

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

jujutsu society is great. gege didn't want to deal with it in any real detail so he furrowed his brow real hard and said "they're lead by...the higher-ups" and sure, gege, go off.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Appreciate the responses. At this point it's weird because they're supposed to be "powerful" but what are even the mechanisms for them to exercise this power? I guess every so often someone we've never met kidnaps Yuta and the "higher-ups" tell him he has to do what they say or they'll kill him?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

No Wave posted:

Appreciate the responses. At this point it's weird because they're supposed to be "powerful" but what are even the mechanisms for them to exercise this power? I guess every so often someone we've never met kidnaps Yuta and the "higher-ups" tell him he has to do what they say or they'll kill him?

They are powerful enough to order Yuta (one of the singularly most powerful ppl in the setting apparently) around but not powerful enough to fight anyone on their own. The way Gojo acts its basically "well those bureaucrats do the paychecks and organize our cars and make sure the mortgage gets paid so even though I could instantly slaughter them all it'd probably be worse for everyone if I did that, so I guess I'll let them boss me around, even though we ALL know I'm just letting them"

kayfabe society

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

A second thing we can maybe all agree on; the world building is full of cool things that are basically just not paid attention to because Gege doesn't really care to give them time and space in the narrative.

That I swear is most of this manga: Cool Idea -> will it be expanded on and given context -> NO

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

From what I understand, Gojo was the trump card for anyone but Gojo himself and their plan for Gojo was just hoping to god he doesn't go rogue.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jerkface posted:

Isnt that a very flimsy backup plan since the jujutsu society was like gonna kill yuji a dozen times

We aren't sure if influencing Sukuna in this manner was some core part of his groundwork, but whichever the case it's not a stretch to think Kenny counted on Gojo keeping Yuji safe, at least for a little while, plus Sukuna even revived him the one time he died.

Kenjaku as a character is also portrayed as if he's got everything worked out, and he's certainly had plenty of time to set all sorts of plates spinning offscreen that can be then added to the performance when convenient, but really he's just a smartass not above taking big risks if the payoff would be big or interesting.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

The Notorious ZSB posted:

That I swear is most of this manga: Cool Idea -> will it be expanded on and given context -> NO

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

No Wave posted:

Jujutsu HQ is the government. They're the bureaucracy that allows jujutsu society to operate in the shadows through their network of managers and civilian connections, and through the cooperation of the major and minor clans could muster the muscle to keep cursed spirits and unaffiliated curse users in check. We got a taste of this from the small army the Zen'in gathered to attempt to execute Maki.

Now, of course freaks like Gojo or many of the other bigger hitters demonstrably have/had the power to fight it out if it came down to blows, but besides the inconvenience and personal risks involved in picking such a fight if you don't strictly have to (and they will pay your bills if you shut up and do as told), there are ethical considerations when it comes to collapsing the framework of jujutsu society even if as it currently existed it majorly sucked; you'd be killing a hell of a lot of people, and risking getting many more innocents killed as collateral. This was the moral quandary Gojo grappled with up until he was unsealed and witnessed the complete and utter failure of Jujutsu HQ to deal with the Shinjuku aftermath.

I get the feeling that just as with the school setting, the notion of a quasi-governmental organization is not something Gege ever cared much for, only really the major families, and that by the time their politicking would be relevant enough to warrant introducing a slew of new characters he was already under pressure to get the Culling Game started, so he ended up slaughtering the Ze'nin onscreen almost as soon as they were introduced, while the Kamo and minor families were more or less quietly pushed aside in his effort to get the story back on track with the core conflict after a little too much meandering with his Death Game idea.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Kamo are gonna adopt Yuji and Choso in the aftermath and get a stranglehold on jujutsu society for a hundred years or so

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
bro, both of those dudes are dead or will be dead by the end

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
maybe we're all dead too

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It would be pretty funny if Sukuna was the only character that survived

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
After catching the 2nd Gurren Lagann movie last night I was looking up clips from the anime to compare and contrast with the movies. Didn't realize that Mechamaru got a whole fight extension towards the end of his fight with Mahito pulled straight from the final battle of TTGL. I feel the same way about that as I do about Todo, but I can't deny the animators were flexing in full the entire fight is gorgeous. :kamina:

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Gege has definitely just sketched out the contours of a bunch of background elements like the actual society in this "jujutsu society" everyone keeps talking about, but again, I feel like that probably just has a lot to do with manga as a serial medium. I can't imagine the difficulty maintaining a consistent focus on all the different elements of the narrative while you're kinda banging these out week to week by the seat of your pants and the eye of Sauron of Weekly Shonen Jump is leering at you for every waking moment of your existence -- either because you're a golden egg like JJK or because you don't want to fall down the popularity polls and get cut.

By this I mean it's definitely a big weakness of JJK and I think the issue I just outlined is not only a probable source for all the problems with the plot in this manga and many others, but our attention is pretty well directed to not care too much about certain details. Why no one else is here fighting Sukuna is definitely a big ( ? ) given what appears to be at stake and "they're too selfish to risk themselves" doesn't quite do the job of justifying it

If anything, I think that Gege kinda screwed up by leaning in both directions. We're supposed to believe Japan is the cursed energy epicenter of the world, and this ritual has the potential to gently caress up the entire planet, but also no one else gives enough of a poo poo to give a chance to their clear best shot at killing Sukuna after his fight with Gojo?

if the entire world were filled with things like this happening all the time it would be a lot easier to think of Sukuna and Kenjaku as events that have to be dealt with by the protagonists of JJK because everyone else has their own equally hosed up poo poo to deal with, but trying to go in both directions at once doesn't work very well

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I know writing manga is borderline impossible so stuff being sketchy and left out is just part of the package. I just get confused about people in this thread talking about the rottenness of "jujutsu society" when it's a room that gojo walks into once a week and doesnt take orders from.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
E: Eh while I'm here; it is kind of interesting that Sukuna sharing Yuji's body forced him to examine and recognize Yuji's beliefs and it pisses him off because he has never HAD to do that ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The sheer awfulness of the Zen'in clan to its members is precisely due to the rigid hierarchy imposed by jujutsu society. That's been a pretty big plot element.