Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Read the main series but not Esstlemont’s stuff. As there’s a book out called Assail, do we find out what the deal is with that place and it supposedly being the most dangerous place in the world to the extent it can chew up and destroy entire Imass clans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
If I've learned anything from this thread it's that that book will take every glamourous idea that you have of Assail in your head, and destroy it utterly and completely, along with the Crimson Guard

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

team overhead smash posted:

Read the main series but not Esstlemont’s stuff. As there’s a book out called Assail, do we find out what the deal is with that place and it supposedly being the most dangerous place in the world to the extent it can chew up and destroy entire Imass clans?
Yeah, we do, and no, it's not worth knowing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sailor Viy posted:

Cool! I will persevere then.

The ending 3rd or so of MoI is epic as gently caress.

But the siege of Capustan would be it's own book in most series.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Yeah, Assail pretty much ruins anything interesting about Assail, Orb Scepter Throne pretty much ruins anything interesting about the Seguluh, Blood and Bone doesn't quite ruin EVERYTHING interesting about Jacuruku

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

snoremac posted:

I also felt put off by MoI and wondered if the series was for me when it's so heavily praised, but House of Chains and Midnight Tides were both bangers (MT is my series fave) and there's still a lot to love about this series to come. Those two books expand the world considerably with some significant shifts in perspective.

I'm curious what I'd think of MoI if I ever do a series reread, particularly Itkovian's story, which I think I'd be more receptive to.

MoI has some excellent *moments* but it just doesn't work as a book for me. The entire barghast plot just seems to happen and you're not given much of a reason why any of it matters. Ditto Paran and the Deck of Dragons stuff - he spends ages ruminating on a decision that is never really explained, the arguments and consequences of his choice are so unclear they might as well not be there etc. it rivals the opening of GotM for "people talking about things without ever saying what those things are".

The vibes are great, Itkovian owns, and the denouement is Erikson at his best.

Agreed that HoC and MT are great though. HoC in particular I think is really underrated.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I'm just a bit into Bonehunters, but I have a thought or two about the BOI stuff you are talking about. Spoilers: sometimes contemporary politics bleed into these books. Also don't read the K&B books, thats where the author puts all the stuff they can't help but write.

Deadhouse gates has a lot about how a Roman Empire speedrun treats tribal groups. Most are slowly destroyed, some get incorporated as "brand name cavalry," and the Wickans manage to pull off joining en masse and retaining their identity. Letting tribal groups join as an indigestible mass is great for them but a sign of the empire being in decline. The Barghast plot is about how an Imperial force could respectably ask a tribal group for help. At least partly to differentiate the Malazan empire from the historical Roman Empire. A tribal group actually getting some of their ancestral lands and grave goods respected is also an exciting development from a North American's perspective.

This group argues that our entire political system should be destroyed. Should we let them become one of our political parties: y/n?
The Chained god themselves is an rear end in a top hat for well established reasons. But giving all of their allies a chance to air their grievances with the existing system might yet pay off.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Korbal Broach and Bauchelain are awesome.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

MoI has some excellent *moments* but it just doesn't work as a book for me. The entire barghast plot just seems to happen and you're not given much of a reason why any of it matters. Ditto Paran and the Deck of Dragons stuff - he spends ages ruminating on a decision that is never really explained, the arguments and consequences of his choice are so unclear they might as well not be there etc. it rivals the opening of GotM for "people talking about things without ever saying what those things are".

The vibes are great, Itkovian owns, and the denouement is Erikson at his best.

Agreed that HoC and MT are great though. HoC in particular I think is really underrated.

I was really digging the first couple hundred pages or so, with all the lore bombs, but the barghast stuff isn't really doing it for me and I'm feeling it dragging.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

The barghest stuff does pay off in later books but yeah, it’s not the most interesting part of MoI.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

imagine dungeons posted:

The barghest stuff does pay off in later books but yeah, it’s not the most interesting part of MoI.

I'm not a fan of the entire Barghast subplot, series wide, even though I know what he's doing. It's just too depressing.

But it's not much of the book and the rest is really great.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

imagine dungeons posted:

Korbal Broach and Bauchelain are awesome.

I am with you 10000%, drat they are fun characters.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The actual stories are a bit uneven to say the least, though. I still think Crack'd Pot Trail is in a way the most Malazan thing ever written but stuff like Wurms of Blearmouth or The Healthy Dead feels completely skippable.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The books are really uneven, but I doubt you could get any group of people to agree on which ones are best.
The Healthy Dead is the worst, though.
And A Crack'd Pot Trail is "what if Toll The Hounds but more oblique", which is definitely some people's jam, but I found it a bit of a slog.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The Barghast stuff is weird because unless I'm misremembering something the resolution (book 9/10 spoilers) isn't that their cruelty and savagery is their undoing, it's that they're just kind of in the way of a god showing up who incidentally kills them all without knowing or caring. I'm not sure what to take away from that because 'random mass death just happens' sometimes is already a lesson deeply embedded in the series so I'm not sure we needed another example?

Also this is unrelated but recently I've been playing Vampire Survivors and it's the only game I've ever played that comes close to capturing the feeling of one of those big Malazan '1-2 guys just obliterating dozens of soldiers at a time' battle scenes that crop up a couple times per book. Not sure if anyone else got that vibe.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Five books down. The Kindle says I have 92 hours left. Tehol is cool. This is a long series.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Alright, after bouncing off the series a few chapters into MT about a year ago, I’m back in.

I wish there was a way to put a custom spoiler-free dictionary into my Kobo for looking up characters/place names to help re-align my brain to this massive world.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah, be very careful. I remember googling a character, and got an auto-complete suggestion of "[character name] death". Always a risk. I was so careful when reading Wheel of Time for this reason.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
This thread could use more action, feel free to post here!

Edit and you can also listen to the excellent read along podcast Ten Very Big Books

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 18, 2024

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The good news is at least with MT there aren't too many returning characters to worry about having forgotten.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I am most of the way through Dust of Dreams, and I still don't feel like I understand what is happening.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Understanding is reserved for a re-read.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Yeah, be very careful. I remember googling a character, and got an auto-complete suggestion of "[character name] death". Always a risk. I was so careful when reading Wheel of Time for this reason.

being dead doesn't really slow people down all that much in malazan

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I just got to my first section with Bugg and Tehol. Already loving it

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Uhmmm did Udinaas just get dream-fisted?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

neurotech posted:

Alright, after bouncing off the series a few chapters into MT about a year ago, I’m back in.

I wish there was a way to put a custom spoiler-free dictionary into my Kobo for looking up characters/place names to help re-align my brain to this massive world.

You can highlight a word and have it show other instances of that word in the book (at least I can with my Kobo).

For older book there's http://searchofthefallen.com/#!/ where you can search per book and chapter for just names if you need a quick refresher.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The Malazan Wiki always helped me on rereads. Looking back over at it now there is quite a bit of effort on avoiding spoilers but caveat emptor.

There is probably something to be said for experiencing the first read as confusing and weird as it is, honestly. It is a huge series with a ton of names but none of us had any idea what the hell was going on either the first time we trudged through these books.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure it took me most of the series to realise that Dessimbelackis and Dessembrae were not the same person

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

It's ok I thought Dessimbelackis was another region of Genabackis for a bit sooo

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

kingturnip posted:

I'm pretty sure it took me most of the series to realise that Dessimbelackis and Dessembrae were not the same person

When I hung out with Erikson years ago he had to explain to me the difference between Anomander and Anomandaris (one is the dude, the other is a poem written about the dude)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Thordain posted:

I am most of the way through Dust of Dreams, and I still don't feel like I understand what is happening.
I look back on the series glowingly but wonder how much plodding philosophical text and confusing plotlines I've forgotten. I do recall it was particularly this way in DoD and TCG, though TCG was a better read.

When I finished the series my opinion was Reaper's Gale was the worst in the series, but over time I remember so much I love about it while with DoD and TCG I remember so little, including how the story even ends. Maybe there were parts of RG I found boring that I forget, though I only remember Redmask in that respect, which I don't think was much of the book. Edit: maybe the Silchias Ruin side of things was boring/confusing too.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 19, 2024

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

neurotech posted:

Uhmmm did Udinaas just get dream-fisted?

Menandore does it amazon style

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Thordain posted:

basically you're only reading half of a very long book, per the author, but you do get a really awesome climax scene as a treat

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

basically you're only reading half of a very long book, per the author, but you do get a really awesome climax scene as a treat

Oh I just finished it, and it was a very cool scene. I am still so confused

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
wow knight of knives was terrible. is it viable to just read the malazan wiki summaries for the other novels of the malazan empire? i don't think i can read another ICE book, but apparently some plot driving thing/things happens in the crimson guard book?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Some are better than others. Night of Knives is his debut and by far the worst imo. Even if ICE rises to 'average fantasy author' he still suffers greatly in comparison to Erikson though.

How important is having the backstory of all the characters filled in for you? How desperate are you for more Malazan content?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

srypher posted:

wow knight of knives was terrible. is it viable to just read the malazan wiki summaries for the other novels of the malazan empire? i don't think i can read another ICE book, but apparently some plot driving thing/things happens in the crimson guard book?

none of what happens in the ICE books matters in Erikson's 10 book series. people will mention a certain character dying, but that death has no effect on Erikson's series

crimson guard is just as bad as night of knives, just stretched out for a few hundred more pages and with a mary sue character named Kyle

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Still laugh at "Kyle". A real-world-name-inserted-into-fantasy too far.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

needs more apostrophes. Kyl'e, bang, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I don't agree that RotCG is as bad as Night of Knives. After NoK I also thought I wasn't going to be able to read another ICE book, but he definitely steps it up from one to the other. RotCG is not amazing but is definitely much better. Also as a previous poster said there is an extremely significant event which takes place in RotCG that wraps up some large loose ends from the main series. If you don't read the ICE book the event is just dropped offhandedly during a side conversation and never mentioned again. Granted, the series takes a narrative shift after Toll the Hounds, and in the last two books it's true that said event doesn't really impact anything, but I am much happier having read RotCG before I read TtH and I feel like if I hadn't I would have felt a little short changed despite it's lower quality.