Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

remember when phil fish outright told some japanese dude that JAPANESE GAMES SUCK AND ARE DEAD and every gaming website was applauding him for dropping this truth bomb
The period where Phil was an industry darling was extremely tedious and I'm glad after he threw his big sad meltdown on twitter and canceled Fez 2 he mostly faded into the realm of niche gaming history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sydin posted:

The period where Phil was an industry darling was extremely tedious and I'm glad after he threw his big sad meltdown on twitter and canceled Fez 2 he mostly faded into the realm of niche gaming history.

I'm not, I would have preferred him to simply shut the gently caress up and make Fez 2

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

What was that one game that was trying really hard to be Gears and you were a huge dude who could throw a small magical lady at people, that was my favorite "we need to appeal to the stupid Americans" one

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Alaois posted:

What was that one game that was trying really hard to be Gears and you were a huge dude who could throw a small magical lady at people, that was my favorite "we need to appeal to the stupid Americans" one

Quantum Theory

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Oh cool, a specific game got mentioned. Can someone be specific about what other games count as westernized, I have no idea if this means Metal Wolf Chaos or Binary Domain or what.

DmC: Devil May Cry, aka the abortion-by-sniper-rifle game.

Sydin posted:

His meltdown is a good lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuDqraUlUcM

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 25, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sydin posted:

As a then 14 year old Bomberman super fan when this came out I was apoplectic over this massacre of my boy.

It never really got better for Bomberman fans

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Alaois posted:

I don't know if it's the one you're thinking of but it's reminding me of Shadows of the Damned, the "a collaboration between the makers of Killer7 and Resident Evil" game from 2011 that uh, well

quote:

However, Grasshopper was pressured by EA to have Garcia start with a gun because "westerners are about guns." In addition, Paula was originally designed as a little girl living in Garcia's gun that would hop around like a rabbit or flutter like a butterfly when her ability is needed; and this would lead to a prominent love story. Again, EA had these features removed because they did not understand the concept. EA informed Grasshopper that "there's this thing called an elevator pitch in America, and if you can't tell your story in the length of an elevator ride, Hollywood won't use it."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sydin posted:

The roughly three year period where indie games were focused on like three bearded white guys FTW

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the clip of Jonathan Blow being all sad Soulja Boy is enjoying Braid the wrong way is one of the all-timers

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I don't know if it's the one you're thinking of but it's reminding me of Shadows of the Damned, the "a collaboration between the makers of Killer7 and Resident Evil" game from 2011 that uh, well

Weird that Suda51 would later make a video game about brutally murdering John Riccitello

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the clip of Jonathan Blow being all sad Soulja Boy is enjoying Braid the wrong way is one of the all-timers

jon blow has poo poo opinions about basically everything

also his games are poo poo, i still can't believe the amount of praise the witness got when it was a deliberate myst-wannabe that clearly did not understand why myst was awesome

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

also his games are poo poo, i still can't believe the amount of praise the witness got when it was a deliberate myst-wannabe that clearly did not understand why myst was awesome

still waiting for hbomberguy to finally drop that myst video publically because "listening to hbomb rant about jonathan blow for 5 minutes" is just perfect, no notes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

his name is jon blow

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm sure blow blames soulja boy and everyone else but he's his own worst enemy, like why would you make a game perfect for listening to podcasts or watching stuff while you solve chill puzzles, then make a bunch of them auditory bs nobody likes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The fact I can't tell Blow and Fish apart says something. Blowfish.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

somehow, against all chances, Edmund McMillen was the most normal person featured in Indie Game: The Movie

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Alaois posted:

somehow, against all chances, Edmund McMillen was the most normal person featured in Indie Game: The Movie

I’ve never got the impression that he’s bought into the auteur thing and that saved him. He just likes games.

The other 2 people in that movie are high on their own supply and it kind of reflects based on how much more interview bits they have talking about themselves self importantly.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Philippe Poisson

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Alaois posted:

getting all the hosed up poo poo out via your art means you as a person get to be perfectly well-adjusted and normal

see: junji ito

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sydin posted:

Yeah there's often times this sort of default stance taken that all cut content was cut for time/resource reasons and would have made it to release without those constraints, when in reality a lot of stuff gets cut because it wasn't fun, or the devs changed their minds/found what they felt was a better way to do it, etc.

I'll definitely check the mod out for putting the warthog run back into High Charity. "Not a very original plan, but we know it'll work." Warthog runs are fun.

Xperia is definitely one of those "Bungie were geniuses" types where every idea they ever spun was solid gold when that has never, ever been true about the company especially when it comes to Halo games.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

People Make Games made a video about murder games that have become really popular in China https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dlxbGUNNQ

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flying Zamboni posted:

Philippe Poisson

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

The Witness has got good puzzles and a pretty environment and that's all most people want out of a puzzle game. If you just play through enough to reach the first ending then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't consider it a real good puzzle game that has some annoying bits you can easily ignore. The fact that the artistic message of the game is "this is a waste of time, gently caress you, watch my favorite art snob movies and develop some loving taste, double gently caress you if you're a completionist" is something that most players won't even see outside a youtube analysis video.

Maybe I have a better opinion of it because I played it before Myst, and so I didn't compare the two. I can see how it would be disappointing to go in expecting a Myst style narrative and ending up with that poo poo. Everything about the island is doing it's best to remind you of Myst so I wouldn't say that's an unfair expectation either.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Johnathan Blow's efforts to force gamers to engage with some actual culture is righteous but he's an odious creep so gently caress'em.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

DoctorWhat posted:

Johnathan Blow's efforts to force gamers to engage with some actual culture is righteous but he's an odious creep so gently caress'em.

What video games count as "actual culture" to you?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

People Make Games made a video about murder games that have become really popular in China https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dlxbGUNNQ

So this is like a combo between those "board" games for super fans of True Crime and escape rooms. I bought one of those game for my Fiance to play with her roommates back in Covid and they loved it. I'd be far more interested in playing one of these than going to a standard escape room to just solve a series of "baby's first logic puzzle" with a veneer of theming.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I knew Blow had some self hatred but this is next level

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Flying Zamboni posted:

What video games count as "actual culture" to you?

I think they’re referring to the terrible Ted talks you had to watch to finish the Witness.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Ted talks are lame but the clip from Nosthalgia about carrying the candle rules.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The Witness had clips from James Burke's Connections so it was therefore great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think haphazardly putting random movies in your game is making the audience 'engage with culture' any more than the mlk museum in fortnite is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like a bad marvel movie wouldnt be improved if you had to beat a super mario brothers level to see the ending either so iunno why the inverse is praise worthy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every movie should come with a multiple choice test on a warcrime your country has committed/had committed against them

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

i dont think haphazardly putting random movies in your game is making the audience 'engage with culture' any more than the mlk museum in fortnite is

I don't like Blow but even if it's boring the movie portions are pretty well-integrated in the mechanics and what can be loosely called the theme of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The theme of the game is that women dont understand programming

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Endorph posted:

remember when phil fish outright told some japanese dude that JAPANESE GAMES SUCK AND ARE DEAD and every gaming website was applauding him for dropping this truth bomb

remember when half the people making GBS threads on phil fish for this take later started calling eizouken too woke and westernized because of brown skinned anime girls

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't remember that

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

sirtommygunn posted:

The Witness has got good puzzles and a pretty environment and that's all most people want out of a puzzle game. If you just play through enough to reach the first ending then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't consider it a real good puzzle game that has some annoying bits you can easily ignore. The fact that the artistic message of the game is "this is a waste of time, gently caress you, watch my favorite art snob movies and develop some loving taste, double gently caress you if you're a completionist" is something that most players won't even see outside a youtube analysis video.

Maybe I have a better opinion of it because I played it before Myst, and so I didn't compare the two. I can see how it would be disappointing to go in expecting a Myst style narrative and ending up with that poo poo. Everything about the island is doing it's best to remind you of Myst so I wouldn't say that's an unfair expectation either.
Yeah, screw Blow but I very much enjoyed the puzzle bits of The Witness and the moment I first realized that there's "lines" in the environment while looking at some cloud is something that still strongly stands out to me like 8 years later.
Especially because that stuff was completely optional (IIRC for example Giant Bomb's Dan Ryckert played through the entire game without ever realizing that stuff exists)
The art snob stuff I just ignored/chalked up to some dumb auteur stuff.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

People Make Games made a video about murder games that have become really popular in China
Glad they mentioned "Crime Scene"... I should get back to watching that.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The movie clips in The Witness kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DoctorWhat posted:

Come on man