Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This has probably been asked before but when this is all said and done, can trump point to all of habba's blunders and stupid moves, and ask for a mistrial because she's clearly incompetent and he barely knows her anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

rotinaj posted:

Twitter is gonna be an unusable sea of garbage

Between Trump melting down and pro wrestling fans melting down because the serial sexual assaulter has been named again as being a sexual assaulter, I am extremely glad I deleted my Twitter account

Trump has posted on Twitter all of one single time since January 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Coolguye posted:

nah. this is all still grandstanding. even before any soldiers actually get involved, or any federalizing orders get issued, the courts are well equipped to handle stuff like this. there's soft power that can be applied to the SCOTX to basically tell them "chill this idiot out or when we chill him out for you, you're also going down for not doing your jobs." there's hard judicial power that can be applied in bringing sedition charges against him and ordering him to surrender to FBI custody. there's funding cuts and circumventions to put federal programs in charge of more day to day operations over state ones (federal takeovers of nonfunctional state services happen more frequently than anyone wants to admit).

all of this is before any actual federal muscle starts being used on these ninnies.

Okay but what if one of these people sent from another state gets it in their head that it's okay to shoot and kills someone trying to enter the country before any of this?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the question is is the army willing to put them down. You shouldn’t take that as a guarentee

why shouldn't we precisely? what basis do you have for thinking that you will see a mass defection of command talent, materiel, and manpower that would give the joint chiefs pause? what makes you think that army regulars would popularly mutiny and refuse to fight an open revolt?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

pixaal posted:

Okay but what if one of these people sent from another state gets it in their head that it's okay to shoot and kills someone trying to enter the country before any of this?

while tragic, that would have nothing to do with a breakdown of federal power, which is what i was commenting on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pixaal posted:

We ignore it like we have every time it has happened before? I think some CBP guys went to trial and then got acquitted last time.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

rotinaj posted:

And that's new because...?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Coolguye posted:

why shouldn't we precisely? what basis do you have for thinking that you will see a mass defection of command talent, materiel, and manpower that would give the joint chiefs pause? what makes you think that army regulars would popularly mutiny and refuse to fight an open revolt?
I'm just standing on the sidelines here, but what basis do you have for thinking they won't?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Coolguye posted:

I figure most US soldiers probably don't want to shoot US citizens.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

kazil posted:

I wish I could feel really comfortable about this claim, but based on my limited experience with military personnel. I can't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

rotinaj posted:

Between Trump melting down and pro wrestling fans melting down because the serial sexual assaulter has been named again as being a sexual assaulter, I am extremely glad I deleted my Twitter account

Trump doesn't use Twitter

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

kazil posted:

Until you also consider how many US solders become cops when they get out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jelly posted:

I'm just standing on the sidelines here, but what basis do you have for thinking they won't?
the years long and constantly ongoing indoctrination every soldier gets to protect the united states from all threats, within and without. it starts in Basic and never stops until you get out.

kazil posted:

most US soldiers were massively against the wars in the middle east as well. i don't deny that it's a bigger ask to shoot american rebels, but that's literally the point behind having a professional volunteer army vs conscripts. when you tell professional soldiers what to do, they sneer, they spit, and they snarl, but after all that, they salute.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

rotinaj posted:

No modern pro wrestling fans are going to melt down over Vince and Brock getting their just desserts

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Coolguye posted:

I think it’s much more likely the army is sympathetic and just prefers to not get involved.

Because that’s how these things work. How the army goes is how these events go.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This has probably been asked before but when this is all said and done, can trump point to all of habba's blunders and stupid moves, and ask for a mistrial because she's clearly incompetent and he barely knows her anyway

My understanding is that, in civil cases, the bar for that is stupendously high. You would need to show that your lawyer was surreptitiously acting as the opposite party's attorney, or something of similarly blatant magnitude.

In other word, Alina Habba might be one of the few lawyers to whom this ends up happening. But not for this case, lol

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Coolguye posted:

the years long and constantly ongoing indoctrination every soldier gets to protect the united states from all threats, within and without. it starts in Basic and never stops until you get out.
They have been brainwashed into thinking they're serving a usurper and the real CIC is a crime lord. Hasn't it been noted that military bases play right-wing propaganda like 24/7 on every available television?

I've met one modern military guy who isn't a chud, so it's possible my worldview is pretty skewed.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

No modern pro wrestling fans are going to melt down over Vince and Brock getting their just desserts

There are whole threads in psp chronicling the shittiest dudes on twitter melting down over other dumb wrestling poo poo, Vince being fingered as a monster will definitely cause it

And yes, I know trump himself doesn’t use Twitter anymore, but he will instantly have his truths turned into tweets by a dozen people who work for him, and a hundred who hate him

And all the usual suspects are going to be even worse in banging on about this baseless trial

Gonna be real bad soc-med

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Okay this is even too much for me. There is no way the military openly rebels against the country in any large number. The threat of fort Leavenworth and a court martial is very serious. This would make what the Jan 6 defendants are getting look like a slap on the wrist. Maybe one or two yahoos but not mass insurrection here.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

kazil posted:

uh, Florida joined them

That contentious border dispute with the Bahamas.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it’s much more likely the army is sympathetic and just prefers to not get involved.

Because that’s how these things work. How the army goes is how these events go.

so you think that the army is sympathetic to... what exactly, a states rights argument, an immigration argument, an upstart psycho bucking the chain of command?

didn't this literal exact same argument get used to explain in late 2020 that no, trump absolutely could do a coup, because the army is clearly full of jackbooted fascists because that's how the army is?

you know, a few months before documents were released that made it clear every single senior commander in the army absolutely loving hated trump, thought he was a nazi, and used their short-form marching orders to say "nazis are bad, and that's why trump needs to go"?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jelly posted:

They have been brainwashed into thinking they're serving a usurper and the real CIC is a crime lord. Hasn't it been noted that military bases play right-wing propaganda like 24/7 on every available television?

I've met one modern military guy who isn't a chud, so it's possible my worldview is pretty skewed.

no. not even close.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Coolguye posted:

so you think that the army is sympathetic to... what exactly, a states rights argument, an immigration argument, an upstart psycho bucking the chain of command?

didn't this literal exact same argument get used to explain in late 2020 that no, trump absolutely could do a coup, because the army is clearly full of jackbooted fascists because that's how the army is?

you know, a few months before documents were released that made it clear every single senior commander in the army absolutely loving hated trump, thought he was a nazi, and used their short-form marching orders to say "nazis are bad, and that's why trump needs to go"?

I think the army is very sympathetic to the border stuff because a lot of Americans are very sympathetic to it.

Also there is a big difference between participating in a coup and refusing to actively suppress something they really don’t care about

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

rotinaj posted:

the shittiest dudes on twitter

Oh ok

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jelly posted:

*shrug* Stop by GiP some time. Bet you'd be surprised. Some of them might be right here, in this very thread!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I admittedly get really emotionally charged when talking about this stuff (cops and military) and get extra stupid so you can probably discount all my reasoning and it's good to hear your comments

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Yeah I think y’all need to talk to more veterans because I never got the idea from talking to any of them that they would be on board with disobeying direct orders regardless of personal feelings.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

This thread being how I found out Vince is in another world of trouble is a delight. It's a bad day for participants of WrestleMania 23.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

no, lol.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This thread being how I found out Vince is in another world of trouble is a delight. It's a bad day for participants of WrestleMania 23.

If you've got a few hours to kill, and you want your blood pressure to spike, check out the Behind The Bastards episodes on Vince. He deserves so, so much worse.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the army is very sympathetic to the border stuff because a lot of Americans are very sympathetic to it.

Also there is a big difference between participating in a coup and refusing to actively suppress something they really don’t care about

so the army is somehow preferentially picking from this subset of "a lot" of americans, and that's how we turn some subsection into a huge subset that will effectively mutiny against orders?

but then they also don't care about the border, and also somehow don't care about the oath to protect america from all enemies, internal and external, that they have drilled into their head morning noon and night?

what you are saying comes from a place of extremely deep ignorance and stupidity and is ignoring a lot of really basic facts. or, put shorter: ok, doomer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vire posted:

Yeah I think y’all need to talk to more veterans because I never got the idea from talking to any of them that they would be on board with disobeying direct orders regardless of personal feelings.

I mean they’ve never been asked to do anything like this before.

Like the last time anything close to this was probably the bonus army in the 50s

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

You are treating the army like some pseudo-democratic institution where the leadership has to take the sympathies and opinions of members into account.

It is very much not that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

If you've got a few hours to kill, and you want your blood pressure to spike, check out the Behind The Bastards episodes on Vince. He deserves so, so much worse.

With the one note that Robert could have doubled the length of the series and STILL not cover all the stories that deserved it

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

bird food bathtub posted:

Huge recommend on this by the time you get to him covering up the first murder they’re only half way through the series gently caress that guy

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Serial sexual assaulter AND close personal friend of one Donald J. Trump (who appeared on some of WWE's shows), don't forget

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Definitely. They are lots of good current and former military on SA and several ITT, including me. Not chuds.

But LOL imagine a small group of chud military folks trying something stupid which inevitably fails. Then, they get it from both the DOJ and UCMJ and there’s no double jeopardy there.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I don't know any military person that likes trump. I live four miles from a base.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Aramis posted:

You are treating the army like some pseudo-democratic institution where the leadership has to take the sympathies and opinions of members into account.

It is very much not that.

But I don't want to rush that machinegun nest, Captain!

Oh, ok guys I guess we just sit here, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If you die for your country in the military Trump would call you a loser to your grave, I can’t imagine great support for him individually