Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

No Wave posted:

I know writing manga is borderline impossible so stuff being sketchy and left out is just part of the package. I just get confused about people in this thread talking about the rottenness of "jujutsu society" when it's a room that gojo walks into once a week and doesnt take orders from.

Its because a character said "jujutsu society is so rotten" and then Maki & Gojo massacred a bunch of "jujutsu society" and it was shown to be a triumphant moment :shrug:

It is absolutely possible to handle writing your story even with the weekly manga crunch. Having a good outline or good notes or being more skilled in improvisation. definitely one of Gege's weakpoints, and its kind of straining under the weight of this climax. However, none of that will matter if he uses his strengths to end the manga on a high note.

I'd be really curious to see what he ends up doing after this serialization ends.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The sheer awfulness of the Zen'in clan to its members is precisely due to the rigid hierarchy imposed by jujutsu society. That's been a pretty big plot element.

Yea you're right its unfair to suggest jujutsu society has been all tell no show. The Zenin's bought Megumi like a slave child, apparently treated him and his mom poorly, is clearly in a macho patriarchy, and the glimpse at the other members showed them to be mostly assholes.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tosk posted:

Gege has definitely just sketched out the contours of a bunch of background elements like the actual society in this "jujutsu society" everyone keeps talking about, but again, I feel like that probably just has a lot to do with manga as a serial medium. I can't imagine the difficulty maintaining a consistent focus on all the different elements of the narrative while you're kinda banging these out week to week by the seat of your pants and the eye of Sauron of Weekly Shonen Jump is leering at you for every waking moment of your existence -- either because you're a golden egg like JJK or because you don't want to fall down the popularity polls and get cut.

By this I mean it's definitely a big weakness of JJK and I think the issue I just outlined is not only a probable source for all the problems with the plot in this manga and many others, but our attention is pretty well directed to not care too much about certain details. Why no one else is here fighting Sukuna is definitely a big ( ? ) given what appears to be at stake and "they're too selfish to risk themselves" doesn't quite do the job of justifying it

If anything, I think that Gege kinda screwed up by leaning in both directions. We're supposed to believe Japan is the cursed energy epicenter of the world, and this ritual has the potential to gently caress up the entire planet, but also no one else gives enough of a poo poo to give a chance to their clear best shot at killing Sukuna after his fight with Gojo?

if the entire world were filled with things like this happening all the time it would be a lot easier to think of Sukuna and Kenjaku as events that have to be dealt with by the protagonists of JJK because everyone else has their own equally hosed up poo poo to deal with, but trying to go in both directions at once doesn't work very well

There just isn't anyone else. Maki slaughtered the Ze'nin. Kenjaku co-opted the Kamos and we're told offscreen eliminated those who had been in favor of intervening against him. Gojo was the only notable sorcerer in his clan. The main cast probably represent the majority of Grade 1+ sorcerers in any position to intervene.

Seeing this poo poo, it's entirely believable the minor families and most sorcerers/curse users are opting to either haul rear end from Japan or at least wait and see where the pieces land. Like Kusakabe said, even if worst case the merger creates some sort of Jujutsu Kaiju that's still survivable if you just stay out of its way, but facing a monster capable of going toe to toe with Satoru Gojo is straight up tying the rope around your own neck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Conspiratiorist posted:

There just isn't anyone else. Maki slaughtered the Ze'nin. Kenjaku co-opted the Kamos and we're told offscreen eliminated those who had been in favor of intervening against him. Gojo was the only notable sorcerer in his clan. The main cast probably represent the majority of Grade 1+ sorcerers in any position to intervene.

Seeing this poo poo, it's entirely believable the minor families and most sorcerers/curse users are opting to either haul rear end from Japan or at least wait and see where the pieces land. Like Kusakabe said, even if worst case the merger creates some sort of Jujutsu Kaiju that's still survivable if you just stay out of its way, but facing a monster capable of going toe to toe with Satoru Gojo is straight up tying the rope around your own neck.
So the ragtag collection of sorcerors we have fighting Sukuna is, in fact, "jujutsu society"?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jerkface posted:

Yea you're right its unfair to suggest jujutsu society has been all tell no show. The Zenin's bought Megumi like a slave child, apparently treated him and his mom poorly, is clearly in a macho patriarchy, and the glimpse at the other members showed them to be mostly assholes.

I'd go so far as argue it's all shown rather than told: the Star Plasma Vessel ritual sacrifices, curse users allowed to operate as hitmen on the downlow, the politics behind sorcerer Grades, the Zen'in (and Noritoshi didn't have a great time either with the Kamos), Yuji's "suspended execution" that HQ tried to sidestep with assassination attempts (that involved other children!), failure to take proper action against the Disaster Curses, failure to take proper action in the Shinjuku incident and immediate aftermath, forbidding attempts to release Satoru Gojo and HQ ordering the execution of his allies.

We never needed regular interludes to the SEELE room and hear their evil scheming to know there's something fundamentally wrong with how things work.

No Wave posted:

So the ragtag collection of sorcerors we have fighting Sukuna is, in fact, "jujutsu society"?

Yes, or at least most of them in good fighting shape. "Jujutsu society" is ultimately an encompassing term for the people able to use Cursed Energy - the problem is this community was dominated by Jujutsu HQ and the Three Families, who were not only big fuckers themselves but when put to the test also failed at their job of dealing with jujutsu terrorists and dangerous curses.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 25, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Avengers are never around to help Spider-Man, either

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

No Wave posted:

I know writing manga is borderline impossible so stuff being sketchy and left out is just part of the package. I just get confused about people in this thread talking about the rottenness of "jujutsu society" when it's a room that gojo walks into once a week and doesnt take orders from.

There's also the entirety of Megumis and makis backstory and all the poo poo everyone talks about and we see about the clans you know that bit where the Kyoto teachers just straight up tell their students to kill another student and most of them seem well on board for it.

Also the star vessel in gojos tragic backstory and all the cult poo poo and assassins that revealed

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Basically anytime we even see a little bit of jujutsu society besides gojo his direct accomplishes and the school they run together it shows everyone to be some of the biggest pieces of poo poo possible. Both historical and modern eras

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The series has been incredibly consistent that jujutsu society is completely and totally broken and filled to the brim with monstrous people. People like Gojo are an anomaly and it's basically treated as a failing of Gojo's that he didn't just say gently caress this and slaughter the entire upper crust of Jujutsu elders a long time ago.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I always saw the zenin portrayed as a freak cult and not an average jutsu house. Perhaps this is why I do not understand jujutsu society.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

The series has been incredibly consistent that jujutsu society is completely and totally broken and filled to the brim with monstrous people. People like Gojo are an anomaly and it's basically treated as a failing of Gojo's that he didn't just say gently caress this and slaughter the entire upper crust of Jujutsu elders a long time ago.

It’s also consistent that jujutsu society is extremely small, and myopic. From class room size to family size. The big families themselves are literally small. Every class has literally 3-4 people. There is not enough jujitsu sorcerers to go around, and they die a lot.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The Zenin's had an army of cousins tho

You'd think in a world where powerful traits are inheritable that they'd be REQUIRED to gently caress like rabbits. Wheres the JJK doujinshi

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Wheres the JJK doujinshi
You're not looking very hard...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
When I was a little kid I was always mad at the DBZ movies cuz whenever the heroes were in trouble I always asked why Trunks didn’t simply go back into the past and vaporize the villains

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The whole point of the Zenin always seemed to be this is what this loving society is like. Naobito was introduced as a huge piece of poo poo and he still turned out to be like the most reasonable one besides Maki and Mai.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It is true though that we just don't see enough of the other clans to see just how lovely they are too -- but Noritoshi Kamo was a monstrous piece of poo poo even before Kenjaku hijacked his body so it's reasonable to assume they're probably pretty rotten (though the modern Noritoshi seems decent from what I can recall about him).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No Wave posted:

You're not looking very hard...

To be fair, those seldom proceed in a manner likely to result in a population increase.

Also, I feel like I should bring up Chainsaw Man here, where the higher ups are just, you know, the actual government guys. No questions, no muss. JJK's whole secret society setup adds a lot of questions the manga doesn't seem to care about answering.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

It is true though that we just don't see enough of the other clans to see just how lovely they are too -- but Noritoshi Kamo was a monstrous piece of poo poo even before Kenjaku hijacked his body so it's reasonable to assume they're probably pretty rotten (though the modern Noritoshi seems decent from what I can recall about him).

Was Kamo a big time POS prior to Kenjaku? He was a temple keeper or whatever so potentially pretty benevolent prior to Kenjaku hijacking his rear end. Wells what interesting is Kamo was such a huge piece of poo poo that it like "stained" their family honor or whatever. So is Jujutsu society so rotten or do they have limits and some semblance of honor? Is there a contradiction there? Again, all light world building but the modern Kamo clan doesn't seem like they'd be THAT pissed about a guy using women as experiments.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
it doesn’t look good for your clan’s rep when your leader was caught making indestructible cursed objects of human-curse hybrids

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

yum posted:

it doesn’t look good for your clan’s rep when your leader was caught making indestructible cursed objects of human-curse hybrids

These guys have warehouses of cursed tools, is it a bad look???? Honestly feels like the Zenins would throw this guy a celebration. "oh finally he found some use for all the female characters in this setting!!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

We don’t know anything about the old Noritoshi Kamo outside of what Kenjaku did.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Jerkface posted:

These guys have warehouses of cursed tools, is it a bad look???? Honestly feels like the Zenins would throw this guy a celebration. "oh finally he found some use for all the female characters in this setting!!"

you’re probably on the mark since they immediately reinstated Kenjaku as the clan head when he returned with minimal pushback

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You know, given everything that we know and what little information there is to speculate on. I'm willing to believe that Kenjaku chose Noritoshi Kamo as a host to both get access to blood manipulation which was probably necessary for his death womb experiment. But also to lay the groundwork for more future plans. The Kamo family seems to have the weakest technique to contend with compared to the more militarized Zen'nin and the 10 shadows. And how the Six Eyes of the Gojo clan have screwed Kenjaku over multiple times.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

you’re probably on the mark since they immediately reinstated Kenjaku as the clan head when he returned with minimal pushback

They seemed partially brainwashed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I bet Kenny was a cooler guy than most other heads of the Kamo. Sure he's an insane terrorist sociopath but also he's kinda funny.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I bet Kenny was a cooler guy than most other heads of the Kamo. Sure he's an insane terrorist sociopath but also he's kinda funny.

first jujutsu head to institute mandatory rakugo

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I reread a big chunk of JJK last night. It definitely comes across better with momentum carrying you over some underdeveloped plot and reducing the build-up of different left turns. Yuki getting offed, the Sword of Judgement plan sputtering, Gojo's ignominious death, et al play a lot better as bang bang fast paced events than the resolution of narrative line months or years in the making.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOosSliMqqA

The Jujutsu Sorcerer tracks are always so good.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

No Wave posted:

I always saw the zenin portrayed as a freak cult and not an average jutsu house. Perhaps this is why I do not understand jujutsu society.

Arent the Zenins a bunch of conservatives who are supposed to like cursed techniques like Nobaras that use old fashioned tools like hammers? Yet thier bloodline CT all thier leaders use is based off of fighting game frames? These guys dont make sense IMO

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Yuji vs Choso theme great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksgELqDkCcU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Meme Emulator posted:

Arent the Zenins a bunch of conservatives who are supposed to like cursed techniques like Nobaras that use old fashioned tools like hammers? Yet thier bloodline CT all thier leaders use is based off of fighting game frames? These guys dont make sense IMO

Animation frames.

Naobito likes anime, okay?

He likes anime and drinking and fighting and shittalking okay, wait, I get why you went to fighting games there.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I mean that is kinda the point. They give Maki a low grade, despite having a heavenly restriction that put her on par with at least a grade 2 sorcerer at the time.

They’re not really consistent in any of the views they hold and are just old, conservative assholes who use their power and money to lord over others.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Emulator posted:

Old-school animation frames. Shame they didn't live to see a public domain Mickey.

But a fighting game frames cursed technique has potential. Specially if the character is a FTTAWSBFTMA fighter.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

They seemed partially brainwashed.

I assumed the old guy was just senile from being alive since Noritoshi was leading the clan, but maybe you’re right. Kamo Jr’s dad apparently objected but got clapped offscreen

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Above all else the Zennin clan is a clan of warriors and they were willing to pick someone like Naoya or Megumi as the next clan leaders despite those two being the younger of the candidates. In Megumi's case it was because he inherited the 10 shadows techniques and we know how the main families value their core inherited techniques. But Naoya getting is is probably purely because of how busted Projection Sorcery is, there simply aren't many characters that could hope to defeat Naobito or Naoya even in a group setting. Beyond that I couldn't find any mention of the how the Jujutsu society has a bias against newer techniques outside of chapter 155. Panda doesn't specifically call out the Zennin clan for this practice though.

Another thing is if someone like Principle Gakukganji can get away with using an electric guitar for his own cursed technique. And assuming he couldn't have picked any non-electric string instrument. The conservatives of the Jujutsu world aren't so hardline that they would foresake every technique when a capable person (and one that also holds their beliefs and follows orders) when they show up. Hakari was outcast because he literally beat up high ranking members of the society but he was still a student up to that point and only on suspension even after.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

trucutru posted:

Old-school animation frames. Shame they didn't live to see a public domain Mickey.

But a fighting game frames cursed technique has potential. Specially if the character is a FTTAWSBFTMA fighter.

Oh you all are right, the word 'frames' just makes me jump straight to video games. Also yes, animation is from the 1920s or so but it must have been a weird technique to have in the Heian era, since its inherited I assume it existed way back then. Although nobody ever explains inherited techniques well, like, someone had to have the 'first' Sharingan, right? Its not like monkeys in africa had sharingans.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's like any kind of real life genetic inheritance or mutation. You might get born with hair color inherited from your great-grandparents, or your specific mix of genes might make your teeth grow in weird when your parents had perfect teeth.

Those with sorcerer potential are born with a new technique, or with the technique of a parent or ancestor. For example, the first person with Limitless and the first person with Six Eyes ended up getting their bloodlines mingled, which means any child born into the Gojo clan rolls the dice to inherit a technique and then again to get one or both.

If Sukuna had any children, then they could have inherited Cleave.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh you all are right, the word 'frames' just makes me jump straight to video games. Also yes, animation is from the 1920s or so but it must have been a weird technique to have in the Heian era, since its inherited I assume it existed way back then. Although nobody ever explains inherited techniques well, like, someone had to have the 'first' Sharingan, right? Its not like monkeys in africa had sharingans.

Gege actually gave an answer about that in the JJK Fanbook:

Q: Looking at Projection Sorcery, he seems to be quite well-versed in animation production?
A: It's both Naobito and Gege's personal hobby. The technique is about image media, born at the same time with cameras. When it got to Naobito's era, it evolved once more with 24fps animation.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Why did he give Naobito a brave death, a cool mustache, and his own personal favorite hobby? It's like all the stuff you'd do if you really wanted the readers to like a character.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 27, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit the 24-FPS thing is just something I couldn't visualize well. Even seeing it animated it just doesn't click with me. I get the basic idea (He can 'plan out' 24 frames that occur in 1 second but they have to roughly obey the laws of physics and he has to trace them perfectly or else he gets frozen, and he can force this same condition onto others) but it never quite works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

No Wave posted:

Why did he give Naobito a brave death, a cool mustache, and his own personal favorite hobby? It's like all the stuff you'd do if you really wanted the readers to like a character.
Naobito was many things, but one dimensional was not one of them. That would be his bishounen son who got absolutely chumped and died a dog's death.