Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Might be getting slightly out of the scope of this thread, but it's still 3d printing so why not try:

Has anybody here ever done any metal 3d printing? I found a site called virtual foundry that conceptually seems very interesting to me. Wondering if this is worth digging into or if it's too good to be true, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

hark posted:

Might be getting slightly out of the scope of this thread, but it's still 3d printing so why not try:

Has anybody here ever done any metal 3d printing? I found a site called virtual foundry that conceptually seems very interesting to me. Wondering if this is worth digging into or if it's too good to be true, etc

This looks like a more DIY version of the BASF Ultrafuse filament system, which also involves printing with metal-imbued filament, but you send in the print to them with a processing ticket and they debind and sinter it for you. Filamet definitely looks like a plausible method if you’ve got your own kiln to use.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

hark posted:

It's basically powder metallurgy using PLA filament as the carrier. Yes, you would end up with copper or stainless steel, but it's not as good as a bar of stainless from the foundry or even powder metallurgy stainless. Mainly because you're missing the compaction step. See this video at the 30 second mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azGg68B-Glk This could be fine for whatever widget you have, as long as you understand it's not going to have the same properties as if you machined it out of 316 bar stock.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man i feel like a veil has been lifted, ive been printing with light grey resin for a long rear end time, bought some dark grey sunlu abs and the prints look so much better. just the color i guess but dang

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I forgot I bought a roll of black abs last year and never used it, and I just found it still in the box on my back porch. Never printed with anything other than pla but I'm about to run out so what better time to try something new.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

hark posted:

I forgot I bought a roll of black abs last year and never used it, and I just found it still in the box on my back porch. Never printed with anything other than pla but I'm about to run out so what better time to try something new.

I’ve never printed ABS either, but from what I’ve heard, you probably want to dry that filament first for the best first experience.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I don’t have a set up which can print ABS yet and I’ve never had a need for it, but a friend of my mother’s somehow inherited 3 rolls of Verbatim ABS new in box and is giving them to me. So that’s cool. I’m guessing a filament made by a company like Verbatim is going to be on the higher quality end of the spectrum.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

queeb posted:

man i feel like a veil has been lifted, ive been printing with light grey resin for a long rear end time, bought some dark grey sunlu abs and the prints look so much better. just the color i guess but dang

It's currently my favorite. Looks great and holds details so well.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mrbass21 posted:

I’ve never printed ABS either, but from what I’ve heard, you probably want to dry that filament first for the best first experience.

Ooh thanks for the tip. I'm not gonna open it til I get a dryer (probably tomorrow when I get paid ) then.

Edit: oh and on that note, is there a consensus on best dryers or ones to stay away from? I'd ideally like one that can hold 2 spools but one is fine too.

hark fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 25, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this is resin ABS-like i meant, not FDM printer ABS haha. The sunlu dark poo poo is great

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Aside for voron / inside printer parts, all my black abs has been going towards printing the articulating skeleton for the Lucky13 and similar bendy-men

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

hark posted:

Once upon a time (maybe circa 2014-ish?) some lunatics at a technical college somewhere built an actual metal 3d printer that uses a MIG welder for a print head but it's not like plastic FDM printing because there is a poo poo ton of post processing.

Also every print requires a sacrificial build plate that you take to a milling machine and machine off before you start the polishing process to make the object not look like pure dogshit welding flux.

Edit:

This was done in 2018:

https://youtu.be/DKkcBoSeUOg?si=032hD-PJOi_cfGZp

Jump to about 2:30 for neat action video

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 26, 2024

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

queeb posted:

this is resin ABS-like i meant, not FDM printer ABS haha. The sunlu dark poo poo is great

That's what I use too, Sunlu Dark Grey, and I've been seeing people say it's really brittle for 28mm/32mm minis but that hasn't been my experience at all. It makes me wonder what they're doing.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

BlackIronHeart posted:

That's what I use too, Sunlu Dark Grey, and I've been seeing people say it's really brittle for 28mm/32mm minis but that hasn't been my experience at all. It makes me wonder what they're doing.

Over-curing, maybe?

Taman
May 21, 2003

My mama said that I'm not living right

hark posted:

Ooh thanks for the tip. I'm not gonna open it til I get a dryer (probably tomorrow when I get paid ) then.

Edit: oh and on that note, is there a consensus on best dryers or ones to stay away from? I'd ideally like one that can hold 2 spools but one is fine too.

Eibos Cyclopes is probably the one you want: https://shop.eibos3d.com/products/filament-dryer

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Taman posted:

Eibos Cyclopes is probably the one you want: https://shop.eibos3d.com/products/filament-dryer

I'd wait for the Polyphemus if you can. It's already an expensive dryer, might as well spend $20 more to get the fancy flippy boy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I bought this dude last year. Haven't used it yet (just haven't found the real estate yet) but it's pretty nice. Has lil vent holes to put filament through and a countdown screen on the front. Also, dirt cheap.

https://a.co/d/2xgOT5e

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Unless you strictly print PLA, you want your dryer to hit 70 degrees.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve had reasonable success so far just tossing my spools in a plastic container with some descant bags and going about my life.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

On a subject of metal 3d printing, found some charming guy that did these 2 videos
https://youtu.be/LuZiqLb70tM
https://youtu.be/W1d36wbx_yg

And to me that's just lovely, true engineering there

Taman
May 21, 2003

deimos posted:

I'd wait for the Polyphemus if you can. It's already an expensive dryer, might as well spend $20 more to get the fancy flippy boy.

Oh wow, I didn't even know that dryer was a thing. https://shop.eibos3d.com/products/pre-order-eibos-3d-filament-dryer-polyphemus The rotation is neat, and also helpful. Between that and the ducting, definitely worth $20 over the Cyclopes.

I also use the much cheaper Easydry. https://shop.eibos3d.com/collections/eibos-prodect/products/eibos-series-x-easdry It's better than most, and is hot enough for drying nylon, but I don't love that it doesn't display a temp. You have to be careful drying PLA because it will get way too hot for some filaments I've found. I found the Cyclopes temperature much more consistent.

I'll have to get that Polyphemus at some point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What’s the recommended paint for PLA and PETG? I’m trying to paint some figures with acrylic paints but it’s barely sticking and needs many coats for coverage. They have tiny features so it’s not practical to sand them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Airbrush for craft plastics?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Prime it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What kind of primer? Most of the model will go unpainted so it’d be nice to avoid having to mask everything.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

What kind of primer? Most of the model will go unpainted so it’d be nice to avoid having to mask everything.

When I'm painting any of my printers that I want to look good I use Rustoleum Filler Primer. Comes in a spray can and can be bought at most big box stores.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
What's the best desiccant box add-on that I can print for using in my AMS?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Listerine posted:

I like this set: https://www.printables.com/model/423765-silica-dry-box-for-bambu-lab-ams-hydra-and-stock-v

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

What’s the recommended paint for PLA and PETG? I’m trying to paint some figures with acrylic paints but it’s barely sticking and needs many coats for coverage. They have tiny features so it’s not practical to sand them.

I am not a paint nerd, but aren't you supposed to hit it with plastic adhesion promoter before priming?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

ryanrs posted:

I am not a paint nerd, but aren't you supposed to hit it with plastic adhesion promoter before priming?

I'm sure that would work, but for FDM terrain I print in PLA and then just hit it with grey Krylon or Rustoleum spray primer and that works fine for a lot less money.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Listerine posted:

2nd that plus recommend printing up a funnel that slides into place for easy filling.

https://www.printables.com/model/496250-funnel-for-bambu-ams-dry-box

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Listerine posted:

I have this one with the hygrometer slot - https://makerworld.com/en/models/47590#profileId-53060

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gvibes posted:

hygrometer

ryanrs posted:

plastic adhesion promoter

armorer posted:

FDM terrain ... PLA ... Krylon

Y'all are such nerds

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ohh that looks neat

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I think mine is a couple versions around there. Did the side pods and under-spool pods too. I got lots of desiccant in there. There is no downside to it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

cruft posted:

Y'all are such nerds

Ya got a STL for that???

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Make a lost-pla mold casting and then cast the object in metal and paint the metal. :rock:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Thanks for the links.

Follow up- how easy is ASA to print?

Taman
May 21, 2003

Sometimes I'm still amazed I can just yeet a 526g print at this thing and it will spit out a plate like this 20 hours later.

Listerine posted:

[...]how easy is ASA to print?

As long as the roll is dry and your chamber is as warm as you can get it its not too bad.

Taman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Taman posted:

Sometimes I'm still amazed I can just yeet a 526g print at this thing and it will spit out a plate like this 20 hours later.

As long as the roll is dry and your chamber is as warm as you can get it its not too bad.

What IS this?!? besides cool as hell