Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Malikov posted:

I predicted years ago on the F4W board that Dwayne would end up president with Heyman running creative (I figured that he was hanging around waiting for Vince to die). Things might be falling into place.

Cool man, hyped for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Local sports station talked about the news, and none of this is funny but I did have an extremely dark lol about how their demeanor changed as the story continued. At the very beginning they were trying to find some yucks where they could, but by the end of it the whole tone was extremely somber.

I think people need to read the whole story. They have to in order for it to fully understand just how reprehensible it all was.

I wish more podcasters were like Voices of Wrestling and soberly talked about the truly horrible stuff because wrestling fans are only going to watch clips and read aggregation on the subject

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dango Bango posted:

Wouldn't this match Brian Nurse better since he was in legal and released in November 2020 as the lawsuit explicitly states?

https://411mania.com/wrestling/two-more-executives-gone-from-wwe/ (I don't have PWI and I'll admit I'm honestly not sure how accurate 411 Mania is. But it's based on WWE's corporate disclosure.)

And if the link is correct, it's especially damning that Brian reported directly to Vince.

You are correct I will edit.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cagliostr0 posted:

If I'm remembering correctly this is being filed in California. Currently the suit is only allegations from one party against another and will probably remain that way until there is a settlement or discovery happens. During discovery if something like what happened during the quattrone discovery occurs then it will dramatically and negatively affect the verdict of the jury which recommend the financial penalties in cases like this.

With how fast and loose Vince was with his abuse it's basically guaranteed that somewhere in the wwe/tko files that have to be maintained for sec reasons there is at least one quattrone level incriminating communication that matches one in the complaint. I'm sure you can imagine the level of chickens with their heads cut off scrambling happening right now trying to figure out exactly how exposed the company is to Vince's actions and how large a settlement they need to offer to prevent discovery.

Regardless, this settlement will be large enough that they will have to report it in their financials which will then be a causus belli for shareholder suits that will also need to be settled because if the evidence is there that executives and the board knew but turned a blind eye or helped conceal it then it's a clear failure of fiduciary duty and probably securities fraud.

if matt levine's newsletter has taught me anything, we are well into securities fraud territory already.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Malikov posted:

I predicted years ago on the F4W board that Dwayne would end up president with Heyman running creative (I figured that he was hanging around waiting for Vince to die). Things might be falling into place.

I mean, if Brock is implicated I'm sure Heyman is somewhat in the know about everything too. If Endeavor wants everyone involved out the place is going to be a ghost town.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Cody may actually live up to his boyhood dream of being the booker just through attrition

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Drakkel posted:

Cody may actually live up to his boyhood dream of being the booker just through attrition

hearing that raw is going to have a very small crew backstage going forward.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My kingdom for a wrestling journalist who could write a decent article without calling the victim a "mistress" or resisting the urge to work "no chance in hell" into things.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://x.com/WrestlePurists/status/1751080352888610955?s=20

Hopefully Corporate Officer Number 1 is sweating right now

This is probably as good as one could hope for, which sucks, because that also means all the executives at Endeavor who were completely cool with Vince and his many crimes when they paid him hundreds of millions of dollars and made him TKO's figurehead will of course get away with it unless you can somehow talk them into firing themselves.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

My kingdom for a wrestling journalist who could write a decent article without calling the victim a "mistress" or resisting the urge to work "no chance in hell" into things.

This is why I was baffled earlier when people were disappointed a lot of talking heads were silent on the issue.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was hoping for some major "gently caress you Vince" chants or something at the Rumble, and despite his retiring I still hope that happens.

In general the crowd making GBS threads all over one of WWE's biggest events would be absolutely called for and a delight to see. And I think a strong and prolonged negative crowd response has a unique potential to cause TKO to really clean house of anyone remotely connected to this awful thing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

NowonSA posted:

I was hoping for some major "gently caress you Vince" chants or something at the Rumble, and despite his retiring I still hope that happens.

In general the crowd making GBS threads all over one of WWE's biggest events would be absolutely called for and a delight to see. And I think a strong and prolonged negative crowd response has a unique potential to cause TKO to really clean house of anyone remotely connected to this awful thing.

It would be nice but don't hold your breath.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CarlCX posted:

This is probably as good as one could hope for, which sucks, because that also means all the executives at Endeavor who were completely cool with Vince and his many crimes when they paid him hundreds of millions of dollars and made him TKO's figurehead will of course get away with it unless you can somehow talk them into firing themselves.
to be 'fair' a lot of them were probably empty suits who were told that it was some poo poo vince got up to in the 80s coke party days and just bought it. im pretty sure none of them would have let him back if theyd realized that he was making GBS threads on heads a couple of years ago. doesnt excuse it at all on a number of levels but

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

Akileese posted:

It's a complete and utter refusal to see a human being as anything other than property that shook me to the core. We've all been around these parts (as in Something Awful and the internet for a while) so we've some poo poo, but nothing could possibly prepare me for how horrible this was. I didn't get close to getting through it all, then I saw some of the texts and it pretty much broke me once I internalized another person was put through this pre-meditated horror.

Everyone involved should see a cell and be brought to justice, no matter if they were involved or covered it up. This is some actual cartel poo poo, and they need to be treated as such. If there was any justice in this world Vince would see a jail cell for the rest of his miserable existence, but I'm not going to hold out hope for that. I well and truly hope Ms. Grant can find some peace even if it's a long shot.

Thank you and everyone else here who's been so unequivocal about your condemnation of this. You don't know how much it means to read people's disgust and horror instead of derision and victim blaming. What this woman experienced is an abomination, and it's so hard because this circumstance happens to so many vulnerable people.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Edit: nvm

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

3 hour Codyverse.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

NowonSA posted:

That's 100% not happening and I guarantee you if he hadn't been fired today he would have walked out on stage to thunderous applause, bows, and "THANK YOU VINCE" chants.

The loving harshest reality of this whole situation is that the only thing Vince could possibly do to piss off the WWE crowd is being bad at booking.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Drakkel posted:

oh he'll be the booker alright lol

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Drakkel posted:

That's 100% not happening and I guarantee you if he hadn't been fired today he would have walked out on stage to thunderous applause, bows, and "THANK YOU VINCE" chants.

The loving harshest reality of this whole situation is that the only thing Vince could possibly do to piss off the WWE crowd is being bad at booking.

I mean he was and they didn't boo him, so not even that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
dont worry guys. they can give ceo to cm punk now

:lol: :lmao:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think lets save the comedy and potshots for the regular wwe thread

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRafTer posted:

Since there is a lot of confusion as to who is who in the lawsuit, here is a quick breakdown.

The three named parties in the lawsuit are Vince McMahon, John Laurinaitis and WWE.

"WWE Superstar" was reported to be Brock Lesnar in the WSJ.

"WWE Corporate Officer No. 1" is described:

The only WWE high ranking employee and board member at all times relevant who remained with TKO afterwards is Triple H. Someone helpfully just sent me a screenshot that his office is on the 4th floor (mentioned elsewhere in lawsuit.) Officer No. 1 is aware of the relationship and is one of the people Vince refers the victim to when he says he can't talk to her anymore in 2022.

"WWE Corporate Officer No. 2" is a high ranking employee but not a board member.

I don't think there is a candidate worth mentioning at this time. They are more closely involved than No. 1, handle her hiring, inform Vince of the rumors swirling about the two in 2020, and informs her she will now be reporting to Johnny Ace.

"WWE Corporate Officer No. 3"

This could be either Stephanie McMahon or Frank Riddick III. This one is trickier because it is someone who appears to be both a board member and an employee, but was not always both. Others have read it as someone who was either or, but I don't think they would be described this way. Stephanie McMahon was a board member the entire period, but was not an employee the entire time as she resigned from the company in May 2022. Frank Riddick became interim CFO for a period and was on the board. They know about the relationship but are not involved in anything nefarious. They come up because they see the victim in a board meeting and invite her to sit near them. Riddick is mentioned by name elsewhere in the document which seems odd if it is him. (He's not mentioned for nefarious reasons just that he's taking over as CFO.)

"WWE Corporate Officer No. 4"

This officer is ordered by Vince to hire the victim. and is hostile to her. They were fired in November of 2020. This seems to best match Brian Nurse.

"WWE Employee No. 1" is different from corporate officer No. 1. They are described as

People theorize it is Rich Hering, Warrior Award Winner https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2021/04-06-2021-150040764 WWE Employee 1 was nice to her and knew what was going on but rarely in the office which led to her getting projects from

"WWE Employee No. 2"

This is their only mention. Two Human Resources Employees (No. 1 and No. 2) also receive brief mentions.

"Celebrity Doctor"

She is pressured to see Celebrity Doctor who even notes she is unable to make eye contact during visits.

"Physical Therapist"

This is the incident that involves feces

"WWE Referee"

It is unclear if this referee was a former referee when Vince did this or left WWE later. There is at least one referee who was let go in the COVID releases.

Kevin Dunn was on the Executive Committee of WWE's Board of Directors for a very, very long time in addition to being the EVP of production (it was one of the things that insulated him from Triple H and Steph attempting to execute a putsch against him).

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Will be fascinating to see what happens to HHH going forward. This suit isn’t even about him, but paints a terrible picture of him to those who have a clue. It’s obviously him based on the information provided. Ari and them at Endeavor may be getting new information about Corporate Officer number 1 with this filing. I wonder if the general public catches on.

I guess he could also admit to some corporate malfeasance in hiring Vince a GF with a dummy job and play dumb on how brutal Vince was about it all. He thought it was consensual, etc.

If I’m Ari, I’m firing him immediately. there’s no reason not put Heyman in there, or Shawn or whoever.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I mean to be fair if we're talking cleaning house I don't think you can include loving Paul Heyman and Shawn Michaels on the list of squeaky clean individuals.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is Paul IRL as close with Brock as he appears on-screen? If so it strains credibility that he wouldn't have some visibility into what he was up to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

Kevin Dunn was on the Executive Committee of WWE's Board of Directors for a very, very long time in addition to being the EVP of production (it was one of the things that insulated him from Triple H and Steph attempting to execute a putsch against him).

Dunn was off of the board of directors in 2015. He is listed in 2014 filings but not 2015, and not 2019-2022.

I have no idea where Dunn's office was recently but last I heard his office was in the TV studio with his unit and not the 4th floor with the other executives.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Drakkel posted:

I mean to be fair if we're talking cleaning house I don't think you can include loving Paul Heyman and Shawn Michaels on the list of squeaky clean individuals.

Shawn and Heyman were just examples, and aren’t guys who had front office roles. Could be Jeff Jarrett or whoever.

Would be impossible to ‘clean house’ and still have wwe at all if you’re firing anyone who worked with Vince

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

As long as Netflix is satisfied, id put money on them just axing Vince, settling with Ms Grant and all the other women they know about, *maybe* making a sizable donation to a charity like RAINN for good PR, and then hoping we forget about it.

I actually think they will use this to do a house cleaning but not to clean up the company but because they want to cut jobs. They probably won't touch executives or the real higher up though

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Everyone who aided and abetted Vince, especially anyone who either maintains significant authority within the industry or reaped the windfall of their abhorrent complicity, needs to be tried.

If VKM just walks away and ties everything up in courts until his overdue passing, then gently caress everything.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is Paul IRL as close with Brock as he appears on-screen? If so it strains credibility that he wouldn't have some visibility into what he was up to.

Paul and Brock have been close friends for basically his entire career.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

kalensc posted:

Everyone who aided and abetted Vince, especially anyone who either maintains significant authority within the industry or reaped the windfall of their abhorrent complicity, needs to be tried.

If VKM just walks away and ties everything up in courts until his overdue passing, then gently caress everything.

Welcome to America, my guy

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
On the identity of “WWE Superstar”, the two key points that indicate it being Brock Lesnar are as follows:

quote:

195. On August 26, 2021, [sic] WWE held its second biggest annual event, SummerSlam, in Las Vegas' Allegiant Stadium. Around this time, McMahon and WWE Superstar privately reached an informal agreement about his return.

The two most high-profile returns around (and indeed, at) SummerSlam 2021 were Brock Lesnar and Becky Lynch. Obviously, it’s not Becky.

quote:

25. Even after pushing Ms. Grant out of the Company and muzzling her with an NDA, McMahon continued efforts to exploit her, including attempting to traffic her to a WWE star who would be in New York City for a live event and TV taping in March 2022.
[…]
228. On or around March 4, 2022, WWE Superstar messaged Ms. Grant that he was in New York. In line with McMahon's orders, Ms. Grant texted WWE Superstar explicit pictures.
229. On March 27, 2022, WWE Superstar reached out to Ms. Grant again. Ms. Grant interpreted these back-to-back advances as an indication of McMahon's continued control.

Lesnar worked both the MSG house show on March 6th and the SmackDown taping at the Barclays Center on March 26th. Lesnar working the house show was kind of weird even at the time – his last non-PPV match was squashing Kofi on the first FOX SmackDown in 2019, and Lesnar’s opponent at MSG, Austin Theory, was only told he was working an hour before the match. Sure, it was MSG and they wanted to further the Roman feud, but why not do it on TV on SmackDown?

There’s also some other less concrete stuff in the suit, such as the former UFC Heavyweight Champion (who may or may not be also Brock) who Vince was already sharing images of Grant with, the word “Brock” fitting in the redacted part of the “tool won’t fit” text message, and the fact that WWE Superstar is high-profile enough that Vince had him flown into New York to negotiate directly.

Also, the original creative plan for late 2021 was for Finn Bálor to have a much longer feud with Roman Reigns, until Lesnar’s return changed plans, which indicates the return was cutting it close.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

C. Everett Koop posted:

So given today's events, it's clear that TKO is wanting to settle as quickly as possible and get their name out of the headlines. Assuming that the victim is also willing to settle, what's the dollar amount that would trigger having to report the settlement in their figures and risk the shareholder suit? I could see the victim wanting to be done with all of this, but shareholders are only going to rival goons in wanting their pound of flesh.

Also, how does filing in CT vs. CA affect what you had previously stated?

The disclosure of settlements on a 10-k is 10% of a company's net assets. Depending on how tko financed the merger it's possible a 10m settlement could hit this due to debt obligations. Regardless of the settlement amount there is a clear case for securities fraud because the board had material information that would affect the stock price in a notable way and did not report it in the 10-k for 2021 or 2022.

Connecticut also allows the jury to recommend punitive and restorative damages to the court as part of their delivery of a verdict. A good example of the jury exercising this power to set a moral message was the Alex Jones case which was also in Connecticut.

This could easily turn into a cung le level problem for tko because if there is recorded conversations between executives or board members about Vince being the main character from a marquis de sade story then all the shareholders and the sec will be lining up for their personal chance to kick endeavour/tko in the balls. The reason I kept mentioning quattrone was that he sent an email with the subject line 'its time to clean up those files' and is the poster boy for what is evidence of intent regarding communications. With the texts in the suit I can't imagine that in the backups there wouldn't be some insane incriminating poo poo.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TinTower posted:

On the identity of “WWE Superstar”, the two key points that indicate it being Brock Lesnar are as follows:

The fact the WSJ actually named Brock in the article guarantees it's him.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Chris Jericho has to be sending the world’s biggest, most lavish fruit basket to Vince right now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

No, i dont think he is

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Timby posted:

Executive 1 being Dunn and Executive 2 being Mark Carrano (whose toadying to Vince while getting on the bad side of everyone else became public after the Mickie James trash bag fiasco) seems possible. Both seem like guys Vince would think he could trust with secrets.

bloodysabbath posted:

Chris Jericho has to be sending the world’s biggest, most lavish fruit basket to Vince right now.
Try Hulk Hogan.

Or if you want to be funny, Bret Hart.

mkay0 posted:

Will be fascinating to see what happens to HHH going forward.

This could be corporate skullduggery where there was a decision that Vince had to go and people inside helped provide access and details about corporate dealings. If they did, they would want to not be identified in the filing.

In other words, it's just as possible Trips helped bury Vince here. Maybe I just want to believe this company will stop being slime toward people, but I still think it makes more sense Vince trusts Dunn with this than the guy who could tell Steph, who could tell Linda.
EDIT: There's also the part where HHH nearly died of heart failure around the time of the NDA stuff.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 27, 2024

Rubber Soul
Dec 5, 2006

Oh no?
Something so jarring when reading about this is just how recent it all was, it's easy to get desensitised to stories about cases of abuse that take place in the 80s or some other time but then you see a reference to COVID in the testimony and you're reminded this is evil poo poo was going on when he was on TV with that loving egg

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I still can't get over how absolutely ghoulish Vince looked around that time too. He was seriously approaching Gary Oldman butt wig Dracula levels of grotesque looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just read this OP and er, gently caress :stare: