Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Some may say poking fun at situations like this is poor form, but they make me feel better about myself, and isn't wellness important in TYOOL 2024?

Ehh, I was one of those idiots, perfect fodder for the BWM thread for a long time, so I don’t feel bad about it. Also, I love ripping anybody that buys a Tesla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I don't get why he needs to dump the Tesla for a truck but sounds like really really needs to haul all kinds of things. At least he didn't do something dumb like buy a minivan those things are useless.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

At least he didn't do something dumb like buy a minivan those things are useless.

What the gently caress minivans are great! My 2016 Odyssey can haul around three kids along with their stuff for a vacation, easily get groceries, carry a sheet of plywood inside or on the roof racks, and tow / launch a 21' pontoon boat. And it has heated leather seats. And gets 28-30 mpg.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
He just said he needs the utility of a truck, which to me sounds like his truck-equity coworkers are snickering at his EV. If he needs to haul something once or twice a month, rent a truck for a few hours.

The guy just sounds like he's terrible with money, but earns enough to barely enable his poor decision making. Yes, lowering the monthly car payment may have been a good decision. Lowering it to $0 long term is better. Is this no longer the goal?

skybolt_1 posted:

What the gently caress minivans are great!

I'm almost certain that was sarcasm. Minivans are uncool, but pretty perfect. Basically a Honda Fit for larger families.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Rear facing car seats are enormous enough that I can't comfortably sit in a lot of cars with them at 6 feet tall.

Not a reason to go in deep on a truck but I absolutely understand wanting a big vehicle.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The obvious answer is a 5 year old minivan or hatchback, but lmao there's no chance someone who makes buying late model cars part of their identity will go down that path.

I'm still salty my paid off 2015 Fit got totaled in the middle of the 2022 car market madness.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 27, 2024

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I want a minivan so bad.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

the irony is a good minivan is practically a luxury priced vehicle these days, a niche but with fiercely devoted buyers. iykyk.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Rear facing car seats are enormous enough that I can't comfortably sit in a lot of cars with them at 6 feet tall.

Not a reason to go in deep on a truck but I absolutely understand wanting a big vehicle.

I think kids are supposed to graduate to a front-facing booster seat after about two years old - just what have your parents been feeding you?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Well we are in the Back-Ward Mans thread :haw:

Also this thread has me looking up the cost of fleet minivans because my 200x-era sedan is making funny noises so might as well prepsre for the inevitable.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Yeah I drove a sienna hybrid as a rental a few months back and just lol that it costs over 50k to get a new minivan. Paid 24k for ours with 21k miles in 2018.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is why my wife and I had to sell our Mazda demio. It was fine until we had a second kid, but I can't sit in front of a child seat in there for more than about 5 min before my legs start cramping up.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

skybolt_1 posted:

Yeah I drove a sienna hybrid as a rental a few months back and just lol that it costs over 50k to get a new minivan. Paid 24k for ours with 21k miles in 2018.

It costs 50k to get a luxury minivan. The Kia Carnival is 33k, Ford Transit Connect is 36.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Guinness posted:

the irony is a good minivan is practically a luxury priced vehicle these days, a niche but with fiercely devoted buyers. iykyk.

Maybe one day I can buy a minivan

https://storytelleroverland.com/pages/2024-beast

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just yesterday bought a minivan, AMA.

2008 Honda Odyssey with 220k miles and it is super cush and clean and totally rules and was under $5k.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It's hilarious how people were deciding they were gonna try #vanlive to be able to live more frugally, and then end up spending the cost of a suburban home on their "overlander".

I know one couple who made that mistake. It took them about a month to realize that trying to do the #vanlife thing with two kids was a terrible idea, and they are now trying their hardest to sell the van (without any takers, because they're trying to get close to the sticker price and of course a van is still a vehicle so the number of people willing to spend six figures on a used one is minuscule).

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 27, 2024

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I’m super pissed all car manufacturers collectively decided to end their small commercial van lineups (ie. Ford transit connect). Doesn’t make sense to me because I see them everywhere in my urban area but my guess is they want to force everyone into more expensive huge sprinter type vans.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

grenada posted:

I’m super pissed all car manufacturers collectively decided to end their small commercial van lineups (ie. Ford transit connect). Doesn’t make sense to me because I see them everywhere in my urban area but my guess is they want to force everyone into more expensive huge sprinter type vans.

Again: the latest CAFE standards specifically discourage the production of small vehicles. Yes, this was warned against before the passage of those standards. No, the government did not listen.

https://me.engin.umich.edu/news-events/news/cafe-standards-could-mean-bigger-cars-not-smaller-ones/
https://www.thedrive.com/news/small-cars-are-getting-huge-are-fuel-economy-regulations-to-blame

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phanatic posted:

Yes, per lobbying disclosures this was specifically lobbied for before the passage of those standards. Yes, the government did listen.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

I just yesterday bought a minivan, AMA.

2008 Honda Odyssey with 220k miles and it is super cush and clean and totally rules and was under $5k.

Just be careful and make sure the timing belt on it has been changed recently, like within the past 20k miles. Otherwise if it breaks you're going to be in for a crate engine.

For some inane reason these vans are still using rubber timing belts instead of chains like the rest of Honda's lineup, and every other major manufacturer. It's a wear item that is replaced every 100k.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Honestly I'm fascinated at someone making a purchase this expensive without seeing if the people he needed to carry would fit in it. Like, did he just go to the dealership by himself and buy the first car that took his fancy?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Jabor posted:

I think kids are supposed to graduate to a front-facing booster seat after about two years old - just what have your parents been feeding you?

They can but the pediatric association recommends keeping them rear facing for as long as possible. That depends on the car seat but the ones I got for my kids allow up to (iirc) 50 pounds or 50 inches, whichever comes first. So my 4.5 year old is still rear facing. In my minivan. When I had my Focus I couldn't put the seat behind me without my knees touching the wheel and I'm only 5'8".

Anyway this dude just wants a truck, which is why I'm confused about him trading his EV truck in for a sedan in the first place. Also deals are out there for a van, I got my 2018 Odyssey for 18k last year. 100k miles but that's basically breaking in for a van.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
How on earth do you have a 4.5 year old rear facing? Their legs must be vertical with their feet reaching the ceiling.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
look at this rear end in a top hat who doesn't know about baby car pilates

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

skybolt_1 posted:

Just be careful and make sure the timing belt on it has been changed recently, like within the past 20k miles. Otherwise if it breaks you're going to be in for a crate engine.

For some inane reason these vans are still using rubber timing belts instead of chains like the rest of Honda's lineup, and every other major manufacturer. It's a wear item that is replaced every 100k.

Thanks, that's going to get scheduled next week. I figure they probably decided to trade it in rather than pay to do that again.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I hate the American style minivans. Gimme one of these, but modernized:

That sitting position above the engine, much like a flat faced work truck is great visibility.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

skybolt_1 posted:

What the gently caress minivans are great! My 2016 Odyssey can haul around three kids along with their stuff for a vacation, easily get groceries, carry a sheet of plywood inside or on the roof racks, and tow / launch a 21' pontoon boat. And it has heated leather seats. And gets 28-30 mpg.

But he'd look like a beta male. Gotta have a truck or a Tesla to show how fuckin sweet you are.

Edit: sorry for making a derail.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Fil5000 posted:

Honestly I'm fascinated at someone making a purchase this expensive without seeing if the people he needed to carry would fit in it. Like, did he just go to the dealership by himself and buy the first car that took his fancy?

Car seats take a shocking amount of room and if you don't really realize that it's reasonable to assume that a 5 seat vehicle can carry two adults and two children without difficulty. In fact, many people in this very thread state as much every time car chat comes up.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

rufius posted:

I hate the American style minivans. Gimme one of these, but modernized:

That sitting position above the engine, much like a flat faced work truck is great visibility.

This is why I suspect the VW ID Buzz is going to be an enormous hit on the same level as the F-150 Lightning. I think there's a lot of demand for that kind of van (even if the front seat isn't quite as forward as the Mitsubishi).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cerekk posted:

Car seats take a shocking amount of room and if you don't really realize that it's reasonable to assume that a 5 seat vehicle can carry two adults and two children without difficulty. In fact, many people in this very thread state as much every time car chat comes up.

So take the car seat when you go car shopping. Literally last weekend I was looking at cars and considering the BMW grand tourer but I wanted to know if the kids would fit in the back row of seats. So we took the kids, they sat in the seats and told us whether or not it felt comfortable. If you're spending that much money why wouldn't you make sure you could fit the people you expect to be carrying instead of just going "yeah it'll probably be fine". And it's this guys THIRD kid that was on the way, he should know how much space a car seat takes now.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LanceHunter posted:

This is why I suspect the VW ID Buzz is going to be an enormous hit on the same level as the F-150 Lightning. I think there's a lot of demand for that kind of van (even if the front seat isn't quite as forward as the Mitsubishi).

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ford-reduce-f-150-lightning-production-2024-01-19/

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

25,000 sales a year may be “soft” demand in the eyes of Ford, but it would be a clear success for VW. (Like, over double the sales of the Golf R & GTI combined.)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LanceHunter posted:

25,000 sales a year may be “soft” demand in the eyes of Ford, but it would be a clear success for VW. (Like, over double the sales of the Golf R & GTI combined.)

Fair enough. EVs are just in a weird place right now. All the early adopters already have them, but none of the inherent issues causing the hesitation w/r/t mainstream adoption have been addressed. Charging infrastructure is still poo poo for everything that's not a Tesla, there's still very few options under $45k (and people are more price-conscious when high interest rates translate to higher payments), and huge swaths of the population have no way to reliably charge at home. The Lightning in particular had insane demand from early adopters, but they worked through that backlog and since then have dropped the price twice and cut production in half. Maybe the VW van will fill a market niche and be a surprise success, but everybody I know that needs 3 rows and is willing to consider an EV already has a Model Y.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The third row in the Model Y is an absolute joke.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
People with third rows aren't putting adults back there. And the ID.buzz is only 5 inches longer than the Model Y. If you need a third row thats not a joke you need the extra foot and a half from a real minivan, not a compact EV.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Cerekk posted:

Charging infrastructure is still poo poo for everything that's not a Tesla

Haven't manufacturers agreed to make the Tesla plug the standard? That obviously doesn't work for old model years and a few more upcoming ones, but that should help somewhat in the long term

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

DarkHorse posted:

Haven't manufacturers agreed to make the Tesla plug the standard? That obviously doesn't work for old model years and a few more upcoming ones, but that should help somewhat in the long term

How much is Tesla getting handed in royalties for that?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Hutzpah posted:

How on earth do you have a 4.5 year old rear facing? Their legs must be vertical with their feet reaching the ceiling.

You keep them backwards as long as you can. The kid can be a bit uncomfortable when it's what would make the difference between life and death in a car crash. Eventually they wise up and realize they can have a say in it. But until then, it's all they know.

Kids are not very clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

How much is Tesla getting handed in royalties for that?

https://www.motortrend.com/features/tesla-nacs-charging-port-automaker-compatibility?slide=1

Haven't heard specifics but they've called it a "strategic partnership" in the past. Most likely it's a nominal licensing fee. Tesla stands to make a lot by offering more services at their stations and having a lot of demand for those services gives them more opportunities.