Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
You can tell mirage lives in la BC no way is she getting on a plane with those drag containers. It looks like a smaller version of whenever I move house and don't pay removalists so I can just stack them up on the bed of a ute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I can't believe I'm feeling empathy for plane Jane but the fact she had clearly been crying in the first scene gave it a very different feel once it was pointed out to me

I saw that too. I know they probably hid a lot of that interaction to make her more of a villain, but if so why does PJ go after Amanda AGAIN in the next episode? It’s very much talk poo poo, get wrecked.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Also, pardon me for being culturally stupid, but I’m of Mirage’s generation and didn’t know the song. I listened to it on repeat for awhile and hell if I know enough of the song to lipsync it right. If you didn’t know it before you came, you aren’t going to get it in a day.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I think plane Jane has probably accidentally stumbled into, accepted, and then regretted being the series villain as a complete cycle at least once per episode so far tbh like I feel like I can sort of see her feeling out her role in the cast very obviously

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

You can tell mirage lives in la BC no way is she getting on a plane with those drag containers. It looks like a smaller version of whenever I move house and don't pay removalists so I can just stack them up on the bed of a ute

Eh it’s only like 4 hour drive, I’ve driven LA to Vegas and back in the same day once due to bad decisions

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
Ughhh I'm literally depressed today because of what happened! I haven't felt this much emotion for a season of drag race in forever. I need to see if I can find some of her merch somewhere.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

One of the many lovely parts of this elimination is that the song is a new discovery for me and really good. But now I listen to it and think of Mirage dancing and get sad. :smith:

Also, if there's a double save in an upcoming episode or an episode where one queen gets to come back and it ISN'T Mirage... :argh:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

for a queen with her moniker she certainly didnt give the illusion she knew any of the verses

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
How the gently caress do you not know Lindsey Graham? Or ask someone? That was terrible.

I'm not in the Community and I'm an old person, but it seems like it would be important to know the people in power who are threatening your rights. But I also know that's a really long loving list :(

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

why would she bother to learn who any elected officials are if she’s not even enfranchised :smug:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well you've got me there.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

How the gently caress do you not know Lindsey Graham? Or ask someone? That was terrible.

I'm not in the Community and I'm an old person, but it seems like it would be important to know the people in power who are threatening your rights. But I also know that's a really long loving list :(

To be fair, you can know their political policies and how they look, but have no idea their mannerisms and microexpressions enough to mimic properly. Not to mention, would anyone tell her if that's a guaranteed bottom if you don't (shady) or even if you do, could enough detail be given to make it passable? Plus, Geneva's from Texas. Our school system sucks.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Do people think the first brick at Stonewall was thrown AT Stonewall?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Don’t know the lyrics vs. Don’t know the character is a pretty crummy competition.

(Mirage deserved to be on the show longer.)

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Pan Dulce posted:

From what I remember, they usually do, but production Riga morris can change the song that very night to one the competitor who they want to win, knows. It happen in Jinkx v. Detox and almost happened in Jimbo v. Kandy.

Jinkx v. Detox was changed because of the Coco v Alyssa lipsync from before. The song for the telenovela episode was originally going to be Malambo No. 1, but they swapped it to Cold Hearted Snake because it fit the feud better, then just shoved Malambo into the makeover episode to compensate.
I wouldn't doubt the song order is "flexible" though, given the iPods the queens are given are loaded with all the songs from the start but they aren't told which one is which until that episode starts filming, which is a 2 to 4 day lead time if you're starting from scratch.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Don’t know the lyrics vs. Don’t know the character is a pretty crummy competition.

(Mirage deserved to be on the show longer.)

My feeling is that production expected Mirage to pretty easily win the lip sync, and I think if she knew the words she would have stayed.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
They should've done Believe

Edit: Oh, guess it was done on S3. Mediocrely by Shangela and Carmen. They've reused lip sync songs that were done well the first time, so my point still stands.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 28, 2024

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Did Mirage ever explain why she didn't know the words? I think someone said it was mentioned in Untucked but I had it on in the background and wasn't really paying attention after Mirage chugged her drink.

Not knowing the words... you can't get away with that. It's one thing if they just left you in the moment, but unless there's another Cher song in the LSFYL Battle episode I expect that the song selection wouldn't be a surprise.

(I should just pay the $2 for early access to the Roscoe's video, I expect it was covered after the episode. I fully admit that when the guests were Amanda and Mirage I was sure Amanda was going home this week...)

e: Also, Mirage has her All-Stars storyline ready to go.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

My heart broke for Mirage :smith: I was so certain she was going to win the lip-sync until they started commenting on not knowing the words. And then I knew instantly it was over.

Plasma's win felt deserved, but wow so much woe is me drama over being "forced" into a part she was perfect for. Her reasoning for not wanting to do Streisand despite being a walking Streisand complete auto-biography was rather eye-rolling bizarre. Just like chill out a bit girl you're being too much.

Has Plasma ever explained her drag name? Always seemed like an odd choice for her shtick.

Have these girls likely seen the last All-Stars before they filmed this season? Not certain on the production time-lines. Plain Jane literally did exactly what Jimbo did in the previous RDR Live. Diet Jimbo is turning out to be a spot on description for her.

Team Nymphia all the way. She also did quite well as Barbara in the skit. Girl is mega-talented.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

e: Also, Mirage has her All-Stars storyline ready to go.

Praying for Mirage to follow Kahanna's 2nd out -> RPDR Live -> AS with an insane glow-up pipeline. But with better outcome.

If she devotes herself to becoming an expert on Cher, Ru might just crown her. She'd at least have a guaranteed redemption storyline.

iceyman posted:

Has Plasma ever explained her drag name? Always seemed like an odd choice for her shtick.

Dunno how serious the explanation was, but she says in her MtQ she literally just went outside and saw a plasma donation site.

It's grown on me, but yeah, it's weird enough name for a queen who's not an alternative type, let alone an old-Hollywood theater type.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 28, 2024

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't want to be "that bitch" about hating on minority queens for not being in the bottom, but goddamnit Ru, Mh'iya sucks. She's continually sucked. Why has she not been in the bottom two and lip-synced? Ru hated Mirage's look, but did she even SEE Mh'iya's?

This season feels like it has quite a few filler queens with absolutely zero chance of making it to the top and she's definitely in that bucket for me

jimmydalad posted:

I’m honestly feeling pretty mid about Dawn. At first, I thought I was going to love her but each episode that goes on, I’m not really having an amazing “wow” moment from her and her edit hasn’t been super flattering.

:same:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Mh'hiya was much funnier than I was expecting her to be this week so I guess that saved her. Like she wasn't incredible but I got a sensible chuckle out of it. Geneva was the one I just didn't understand but the character she was playing was just someone I had never heard of so I don't even know how badly she missed the brief on that one.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I actually don't think Mhi'ya deserved the bottom, even if her runway was atrocious. She was the least bad of the first skit. Morphine was giving nothing and her runway wasn't good enough.

But being in the bottom probably bought her a little more favor from the judges thanks to her so-bad-it's-good Cher impression.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

iceyman posted:

Team Nymphia all the way. She also did quite well as Barbara in the skit. Girl is mega-talented.

Sapphira and Nymphia are a lock for top 4, it's just a matter of who the other two are going to be. Jane seems like she could absolutely make it that far from what we've seen, assuming she doesn't fall into the bottom until the last 4 or 5 episodes (so they can't Track Record her away if she stumbles the end) I think she'll glide into the top 4 on her Obvious Villain thing alone.

Sapphira's skill is unquestionable but I think I'm also team Nymphia for the same reasons I said before: Everything she does is so fun. She's taking this seriously in the way that she's taking nothing seriously? She knows what she's doing is ridiculous but she's treating that ridiculousness with a kind of professional energy that has just enough rough edges and stupidity to make it still feel approachable.
She's a delight to watch and she's got my full attention.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sapphira/Nymphia/Jane/Q are very clearly the top 4

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

Lots of RDR Twitter is turning into Discourse about how much young queer people should know about pop culture from 30yrs before they were born in order to be valid and it’s a little… :mrwhite:

I mean, mirage was given a copy of the bottom song list and lyrics and all that so she should have worked it up regardless. Her lip sync to lose. But was the hair mismatch that bad??!? Ru seemed bizarrely offended by it and obviously wanted her gone the second she walked on stage, but Plasma didn’t even change her makeup for her own look! The side-by-side of plasma and the Cher photo didn’t look similar to me at all

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ru getting mad at the Cher hair being a decade out had strong boomer energy

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I can't believe I'm feeling empathy for plane Jane but the fact she had clearly been crying in the first scene gave it a very different feel once it was pointed out to me

Wait, when was she crying? Like in the opening of the episode??

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
theres like a million drag race seasons. is the newest one good?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Chewbecca posted:

Wait, when was she crying? Like in the opening of the episode??

Yeah I'd have to go back to the previous untucked to pin down a timeline but by the start of the episode where they come in after the previous episode she's got a couple of makeup streaks from crying

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Tired Moritz posted:

theres like a million drag race seasons. is the newest one good?

Like realistically I'd say there's better seasons but it's pretty good and you could do much worse having it be an introductory season

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah I'd have to go back to the previous untucked to pin down a timeline but by the start of the episode where they come in after the previous episode she's got a couple of makeup streaks from crying

It seemed like others had some subtle steaks as well

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Goons, has Gwen Stefani, either as her solo work or as her work with No Doubt, ever been a lip sync for RPDR? My husband posited that it might not have been because she was on a competing reality show, but that doesn't explain why Paula Abdul's work was on since the beginning since she's been on American Idol and SYTYCD.

What songstress/song would you place as a LSFYL song?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Pan Dulce posted:

Goons, has Gwen Stefani, either as her solo work or as her work with No Doubt, ever been a lip sync for RPDR? My husband posited that it might not have been because she was on a competing reality show, but that doesn't explain why Paula Abdul's work was on since the beginning since she's been on American Idol and SYTYCD.

What songstress/song would you place as a LSFYL song?

I genuinely don’t think so/Super Graphic Ultra Modern Girl by Chappell Roan

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Personally I think there should be more Kylie Minogue lip synchs.

There has been one from memory, but she deserves more imo!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I want them to do another spoken word lipsynch like they did in AS7.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

The boat has sailed on it since shes not super relevant anymore but I'm kind of surprised that nothing by Marina made it to a lipsync in the 2010s, especially Bubblegum Bitch or How to be A Heartbreaker. I'd love to see either of those (or Froot)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The fact that they've never had a Fergie lip sync haunts me. My Humps is the closest we've gotten.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

grimes lol. flesh without blood or kill v maim. bipp or it’s okay to cry by SOPHIE. still into you or misery business by paramore. my power or only child by tierra whack. i’m a woman or is that all there is? by peggy lee. dead disco or gold guns girls by metric. night of 1000 bjorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

wizardofloneliness posted:

I want them to do another spoken word lipsynch like they did in AS7.

Okay I change my vote to this. That was so iconic lol