Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I like kyujo autotrades in the second week because it kinda sucks to eat a kyujo in the last half of the basho and just be pretty much thrown out of contention. Reduces interest in the game, imo. The big thing in the second week is that it's only autotrades from your draft choices, so that you can't benefit from a kyujo by grabbing somebody on an unexpected hot streak.

Regarding the Hoshoryu situation, could also maybe just say you don't get credit for the yusho/jun-yusho/sansho unless you've had them in your stable for some arbitrary period of time. 3 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe a blanket rule that bonus points from KK/Yusho/Sansho don't apply to rikishi acquired from trades made in week 2?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I think they should count since you still made a choice for the potential auto trade on your draft line.

You could also potentially lose more points if the person you trade to goes MK.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

One of the things I was thinking about was how if you trade into a wrestler who's already kachikoshi you don't get the points and that should be the same for wrestlers who are guaranteed a jun-yusho or sansho at auto-trading time. Maybe trading into a wrestler who's guaranteed a jun-yusho then wins the cup should only get you 2 points instead of 5. That way there's still a bit of a swing if you got lucky with your auto-trade (which seems fitting) but won't necessarily mean a massive shakeup.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Just had my chanko, bought my beers and the box is now occupied - hype: engaged.

Even though I didn't get him in my fantasy this time round I'm 100% behind Kotonowaka - seeing this new generation take the step up into Ozeki (Kirishima before, and hopefully Hoshoryru soon) has been great over the last year or so, hoping for some sick sumo on the way!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Just had my chanko, bought my beers and the box is now occupied - hype: engaged.

Even though I didn't get him in my fantasy this time round I'm 100% behind Kotonowaka - seeing this new generation take the step up into Ozeki (Kirishima before, and hopefully Hoshoryru soon) has been great over the last year or so, hoping for some sick sumo on the way!

Deadset. I'm really hoping that Hoshoryu's injury is going to be healed quickly and he gets back into it with the same intensity. Between him, Kirishima, Kotonowaka, Wakamotoharu, Hakuoho and Onosato I reckon the next few years are gonna have some amazing rivalries.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

We're going from a period of 0-1 yokozuna to there easily being at least 2 ropes in the next year or so if the cards fall the right way for various rikishi. I feel very confident saying that, barring something major, we might be seeing the start of a new age of sumo.

Aside from the clusterfuck of kyujo, this has been a very good tournament imo. It's been interesting to see who's stepped up and to see Teru once again taking the reins with a little bit of luck. Looking forward to seeing how this all ends.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Special prizes have been announced:

https://vxtwitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1751455009630462449

Shukun-sho (Outstanding Performance): Wakamotoharu, and also KTW if he takes the yusho
Kanto-sho (Fighting Spirit): Onosato, and also Shimazuumi if he wins today's match
Gino-sho (Technique): KTW

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Does a playoff win over a yokozuna count as a kinboshi with salary bonus?

E: kinda weird that a 12-2 Kotonowaka still has to yusho to get the Outstanding Performance bonus.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

anakha posted:

E: kinda weird that a 12-2 Kotonowaka still has to yusho to get the Outstanding Performance bonus.

I assume it works by that Sekiwake are supposed to be getting lots of wins but if he gets the yusho over the strong ozeki and yokozuna, then its worth remarking on.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm fine with needing a high number of wins for sanyaku. It's just that needing to win the whole drat thing on top of it that feels arbitrary.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That's where I'm lining out with the old men, not really outstanding without the yusho.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Isegahama is just full of studs, Takerufuji looks like he could be the next one to step up into Makuuchi after a strong basho, bull of a man and some great performances so far.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm watching juryo right now and oh man it's all good and I can't wait for the grand finale :f5:

It sucks so many people have gotten hurt for this basho, but I have to agree that there's been a lot of great matches.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Sitting behind the Takarafuji fan club, great to see the passion

https://imgur.com/gallery/mR8YtdN

Onosato looks like a full grown man in there already, weathered the Tamawashi nodowa and just bossed him out, fantastic.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 28, 2024

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sitting behind the Takarafuji fan club, great to see the passion

Onosato looks like a full grown man in there already, weathered the Tamawashi nodowa and just bossed him out, fantastic.

So cool that you're there live! I'm watching live tonight.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shiroc posted:

That's where I'm lining out with the old men, not really outstanding without the yusho.

This is where I fall. He's a sekiwake, he's supposed to put up good numbers.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

See you in juryo, Endo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

URA!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

URA!

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:swoon::swoon::

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I love sumo.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Uncle Waka having the other guy demonstrate that kimarite because he's too old to bend that way :laffo:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

We made friends with an izakawa owner, when she heard we were sumo friends she kinda flexed her seats on us - what a view
https://imgur.com/gallery/lr1rlaV

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Goddamn, usually Ura uses his levitation magic on himself, not his opponent. Hell of a technique to whip out.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

:tviv:
What a match from Ura

We made friends with an izakawa owner, when she heard we were sumo friends she kinda flexed her seats on us - what a view
Goddamn, she's got a clear view of The Mystery Hole.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Good lord it was satisfying watching him plant Ryuuden like that

KTW:
Kind of mean putting poor Tobi up against Kotonowaka with that much on the line, ha. He gave it a pretty impressive shot, though.

Log082 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 28, 2024

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kotonowaka winning in grand style

Whoa

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston
So what happens if there is a tie at the end?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

gripebomb posted:

So what happens if there is a tie at the end?

Playoff!

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

- Eddie Kingston

Kenning posted:

Playoff!
Sweet, that explains why Kotonowaka sat back down.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ura won with tsutaezori - only the 4th time ever this technique has been used in makuuchi.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

holy poo poo that's awesome.

Came to post about Kotonowaka's incredible finish to the Tobizaru bout, he could have gotten flustered and instead he did THAT

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Kaiju lives

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Holy poo poo. Terunofuji just yeeted kirishima into the back stands. He wants this yusho bad.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Holy gently caress

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

- Eddie Kingston

Log082 posted:

Holy poo poo. Terunofuji just yeeted kirishima into the back stands. He wants this yusho bad.

That had me hooting and hollering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Unreal stuff