Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Libluini posted:

Dramatis Personae work best if they're in a glossary at the end of the book, imho. Then you can go take a look if you want to know who the gently caress someone is. DPs at the beginning of a book I always skip past and then just use them like a reverse-glossary someone put in the wrong place.

I like em, especially in an ongoing series, I get jazzed up seeing my guys’ names at the front. I won’t claim it’s rational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

von Metternich posted:

I finished it. The whole drat thing. And my reaction was...was all that necessary?
L

If you read the afterword he addresses a lot of the issues you raise. Not saying it will change your mind but maybe you will find it interesting

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

von Metternich posted:

I finished it. The whole drat thing. And my reaction was...was all that necessary?

The Emperor/Horus fight didn't have to be all of..that. It's important because of the relationship between the characters. To get really 2009 Red Letter Media up in here, the simple, emotional, non-flashy lightsaber fights in the original Star Wars trilogy are a better story than the bigger-budget Prequel trilogy fights. We didn't need all of the different things that went into that fight scene. It didn't have to be the biggest baddest epicest fight scene ever, it just had to have characters and stakes that you cared about, and be well-written. I know 40k in general is not really a minimalistic setting, but...

I also preferred the old lore where the Emperor was holding himself back until he realized how totally gone Horus was, and then he just annihilated him. Him getting knocked down several times and then getting rescued by various things wasn't really interesting because the Emperor isn't really a character. That's the kind of thing you get when, at the end, the hero overcomes a stronger force with the friends he made along the way. Which the emperor didn't do, because he almost never does anything on screen, and we have no idea of his interiority

I really liked it. The Emperor being weaker than Horus and making it through - to a given definition of making it through - by the skin of his teeth? That it wasn't the Emperor's humanity or kindness or whatever holding him back against the corrupted form of his son, but rather Horus's combination of ambition and love for his father leading him to hope to work with him instead? Great stuff. Instead of it being the Emperor as the hero with the friends he made along the way, the Imperium is an entity that wasn't upheld by just the Emperor who can save everyone - it takes the wilful sacrifice of all peoples from all walks of life, from the mighty to the weak, to prop up the husk of the Empire.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
(Ollanius)

Arc Hammer posted:

Moriana literally starts spreading the story among Agathe's troops and when questioned she says that good lies are better than bad truths. And even then she was technically correct that Olly stood up to Horus, even if he wasn't the last defender.

I think the seed had already been planted back in Saturnine, with Olly Piers dying defending the banner of the Emperor and the remembrancer getting away to tell the story. Piers even says to make it a bigger story than the real thing, to say he's defending the actual Emperor instead of a banner because it'll inspire people better. So I don't think Moriana came up with it herself, I think she's repeating it. And the clever thing is that even though people think it's a lie, it's actually true.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I really liked it.

Loken and horus having essentially a proxy conversation for the emperor and horus was well done and cypher getting the astronomicon lit i didnt see coming.

also yeah gently caress erebus

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I appreciate this is a complicated question but I don't really know much about the Dark Angels. What's going on with this Cypher guy?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh cool one of my favorite topics

Cypher

Cypher is pretty much how he is named, a big old gently caress off mystery and he is one of neato-est thingies in the dark angels lore Originally on Caliban pre-terran dark angels, they were known as the knights of caliban. there was a role known as the "lord cypher" basically the keeper of all the great mysteries and secrets of the "chapter" (this was pre-astartes) those chosen for this role lost their name and past and would act as a mentor and advisor to the chapter. during the heresay the current lord cypher ended up lumped in with luther and the fallen and is considered basically target alpha for the dark angels. however no one really knows what his motivations are. he has a big gently caress off sword he carries on his back but never draws. it is rumored that it is the lion sword, and his destiny depending on what theorycraft you subscribe to is A: he is destined to kill the emperor or B: he is going to present the sword to the emperor to atone for the sins of the chapter. or C: gently caress if i know e: oh and D: The sword is a key, much like the other so called "heavenfall blades" that opens... something. maybe the prison of luther, no one knows. Dark angels are pretty much super secret squirrels about everygoddamn thing

In the titular book "Cypher" he legitimately makes it all the way to the sanctum imperialis before being stopped at the very end by a dying custodes telling him "not yet" and he legit walks away, all the while being hunted by dark angels who have murderhoboed their way through the imperial palace looking for him. He gets away, but often pops up in other lore, sometimes helping the imperium, sometimes attacking them. Him playing a critical role in firing up the astronomocon was a really nifty thing lorewise.

a good example of the tone of that book:
"Which is more important, the truth or what people believe? Most would say the truth, but that is too easy. No one actually wants the truth. Not in this universe. Hearing the truth is like looking on the face of a god – you have a moment of pure revelation, and then you are ash carried away to oblivion, knowing nothing, seeing nothing. When people say they want the truth, they mean that they want something they can understand, something that fits, that they can carry around in their thoughts like a relic, to touch and take away the fear of what they are living.

Am I a traitor? Am I one soul, or am I many? Have I had many names or only the one? Do I wish redemption or vengeance? It’s comforting to be able to pick one, and then see everything fall into line behind it – villain-hero, right-wrong, on and on. That’s what people want when they ask for the truth. They want the lie that makes the world simple.

But you are not like that, are you? You know that it is better not to ask for the truth. That what you should ask for are secrets."

Its very pointedly an unreliable, or at best a suspect narrator, often addressing the reader directly

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 28, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zahariel/Cypher getting swept up in the avalanche after taking a gut wound from Typhus does go a long way into explaining how he could presumably vanish following the Siege. If Sigismund survived the avalanche others did too.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

euphronius posted:

If you read the afterword he addresses a lot of the issues you raise. Not saying it will change your mind but maybe you will find it interesting

I did, and it was interesting, but also underlined that Abnett/much of the creative team working on this series thinks about this stuff differently than I do.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

von Metternich posted:

I like em, especially in an ongoing series, I get jazzed up seeing my guys’ names at the front. I won’t claim it’s rational.

The End and the Death Volume III Dramatis Personae posted:

The XVI Legion ‘Sons of Horus’
Kalintus - Captain of Ninth Company
Zistrion - Captain of 13th Company
Yrmand – Captain
Arnanod - Sergeant

The XIV Legion ‘Death Guard’
Serob Kargul – Lord Contemptor
Vorx – Lord of Silence
Kadex Ilkarion
Caipha Morarg
Melphior Craw

None of these characters appear in the book :engleft: It's a very stupid and petty thing for me to notice but I gotta think an editor should have trimmed these names out. Having a dramatis personae is fine, it's just silly when it's padded out with unimportant or entirely unused names.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I liked the nod to the Bequin books - the revealing of the real name of the archivist of the Hall of Leng and the bits about The City of Dust as the warp disentangles Vengeful Spirit, the Palace, and the Inevitable City. Makes me think the third Bequin book is going to properly push the 40K storyline forward, hopefully.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I liked it a lot, all of it. As for the fight I keep coming back to Lorgar in the beginning of the book making the determination that Horus is both too weak and too strong. Like others have said it inverts the idea that the Emperor is holding back until he knows his son is too far gone, he knows this immediately. Horus is the one holding back and it's because he's too weak to finish it, his remaining humanity is what allows humanity to survive and it ties together very well I think.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

I liked the nod to the Bequin books - the revealing of the real name of the archivist of the Hall of Leng and the bits about The City of Dust as the warp disentangles Vengeful Spirit, the Palace, and the Inevitable City. Makes me think the third Bequin book is going to properly push the 40K storyline forward, hopefully.

I really think pushing the 40k storyline forward would be good for the game and the setting. It doesn't need to be dramatic but - well, also, in a sense what else do they start driving books towards? Part of the success of the HH was that it was a narrative which promised actual development and conclusion, at a time two decades ago when I think the main setting was resolutely stuck in a holding pattern.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I have a question about the end of the Sea of Souls book. What weapon is the knife fragment from? In the context of EatD it seems to be a mirror of how the Emperor kills Horus in that Abaddon is going to use this knife to kill the Emperor.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

lines posted:

I really think pushing the 40k storyline forward would be good for the game and the setting. It doesn't need to be dramatic but - well, also, in a sense what else do they start driving books towards? Part of the success of the HH was that it was a narrative which promised actual development and conclusion, at a time two decades ago when I think the main setting was resolutely stuck in a holding pattern.

The 40K storyline is already being pushed forwards, though - in the Dawn of Fire ongoing series, in Guy Haley's books about Belisarius Cawl, Chris Wraight's Watchers of the Throne, Mike Brooks' book of the Lion returning, and no doubt more that I'm overlooking. The setting is no longer static. I don't know what the current grand narrative arc is heading towards, but it's definitely going somewhere.

Bequin takes place hundreds of years before the events of all of those, it's still like year 800 of M.41 in Bequin whereas the "cutting edge" of the storyline is well into M.42 by this point. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my prediction is that the Bequin series will get wrapped up with zero impact on the setting. Maybe it'll introduce some plot threads for Abnett or other authors to weave into subsequent M.42 stories, but it's not going to change anything.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 28, 2024

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kylaer posted:

(Ollanius)

I think the seed had already been planted back in Saturnine, with Olly Piers dying defending the banner of the Emperor and the remembrancer getting away to tell the story. Piers even says to make it a bigger story than the real thing, to say he's defending the actual Emperor instead of a banner because it'll inspire people better. So I don't think Moriana came up with it herself, I think she's repeating it. And the clever thing is that even though people think it's a lie, it's actually true.

that remembrancer doesn’t get away - he dies, and there are no witnesses to piers’ death. That’s the whole point of his arc, really: that all these stories about glory and heroic last stands are all lies to help people deal with the fundamental horror of war, but when someone finally does make a heroic last stand against impossible odds, nobody witnesses or remembers it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

that remembrancer doesn’t get away - he dies, and there are no witnesses to piers’ death. That’s the whole point of his arc, really: that all these stories about glory and heroic last stands are all lies to help people deal with the fundamental horror of war, but when someone finally does make a heroic last stand against impossible odds, nobody witnesses or remembers it.

(more Saturnine than TEatD) Are you sure he dies? I did a quick check and in the last Olly Piers passage, it mentions that Hari went away to find more troops to rally, and didn't return. I can't find anything saying what happens to him afterward. Piers then makes his last stand in front of the banner and is killed by Angron. The story, though, is from the earlier defense of the banner, against a "regular" World Eater who is killed by Jenetia Krole. That's the story that Piers tells Hari to embellish, to turn it into a Guardsman defending the Emperor from Horus in the flesh. So I think the implication is that Hari gets away and spreads the story which is false-yet-true, and then it becomes false-but-even-more-true when Oll Persson makes his stand against Horus himself.

Ultimately, I think the point is that Olly Piers and Hari Harr are the source of the story and Moriana was repeating it rather than creating it.

Edit:

Maybe I'm wrong after all because it was Moriana who sent John and Oll the knowledge that let them cut through the warp to Horus' location. So she knew the names and knew that they'd gone there. Maybe Olly Piers never mattered at all :shrug:

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 28, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regarding "the Emperor was supposed to be stronger and restraining himself"

The Uplifting Primer tells me that orks are frail, a solid punch can render one incapacitated.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Kylaer posted:

The 40K storyline is already being pushed forwards, though - in the Dawn of Fire ongoing series, in Guy Haley's books about Belisarius Cawl, Chris Wraight's Watchers of the Throne, Mike Brooks' book of the Lion returning, and no doubt more that I'm overlooking. The setting is no longer static. I don't know what the current grand narrative arc is heading towards, but it's definitely going somewhere.

Bequin takes place hundreds of years before the events of all of those, it's still like year 800 of M.41 in Bequin whereas the "cutting edge" of the storyline is well into M.42 by this point. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my prediction is that the Bequin series will get wrapped up with zero impact on the setting. Maybe it'll introduce some plot threads for Abnett or other authors to weave into subsequent M.42 stories, but it's not going to change anything.

I hope the Bequin series either is the catalyst for the return of the primarchs or gets time warped into current-day 40k.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i would also submit the whole lore of the the emperor has evolved to where its not just even remotely simple or clean cut anymore.

the whole scene where horus realizes big E isnt even acknowleging him or talking with him at all was really well executed

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like scalpers got into the last pre-order again. So now it sounds like a 3rd attempt to get the LE will go back up again.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

OPAONI posted:

I hope the Bequin series either is the catalyst for the return of the primarchs or gets time warped into current-day 40k.

yeah it could very easily be a case where bequin gets out of the impossible city and a thousand years have passed! in the regular 40k world.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i would also submit the whole lore of the the emperor has evolved to where its not just even remotely simple or clean cut anymore.

the whole scene where horus realizes big E isnt even acknowleging him or talking with him at all was really well executed

What scene is this?

- oh nvm, I hadn't realized book 3 was out already.

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 28, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Philthy posted:

Looks like scalpers got into the last pre-order again. So now it sounds like a 3rd attempt to get the LE will go back up again.

An open queue is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I was really talking about the modern era as well, I guess. I know things are moving forward but I don't have a sense for where they are going - if anyone has a good notion I would be interested.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Kylaer posted:

(more Saturnine than TEatD) Are you sure he dies? I did a quick check and in the last Olly Piers passage, it mentions that Hari went away to find more troops to rally, and didn't return. I can't find anything saying what happens to him afterward. Piers then makes his last stand in front of the banner and is killed by Angron. The story, though, is from the earlier defense of the banner, against a "regular" World Eater who is killed by Jenetia Krole. That's the story that Piers tells Hari to embellish, to turn it into a Guardsman defending the Emperor from Horus in the flesh. So I think the implication is that Hari gets away and spreads the story which is false-yet-true, and then it becomes false-but-even-more-true when Oll Persson makes his stand against Horus himself.

Ultimately, I think the point is that Olly Piers and Hari Harr are the source of the story and Moriana was repeating it rather than creating it.

Edit:

Maybe I'm wrong after all because it was Moriana who sent John and Oll the knowledge that let them cut through the warp to Horus' location. So she knew the names and knew that they'd gone there. Maybe Olly Piers never mattered at all :shrug:

it’s very clear that harr dies. Piers and Harr are at Eternity Wall as it’s being completely overrun and everyone slaughtered, and they go looking for more soldiers, and they don’t find anyone still alive. Also after Piers says that Harr didn’t come back, he thinks that “some losses are oddly hard to take.” He is dead, dead, dead, they both are.

Moriana is the source of the Pius legend and she’s basing it on Ollanius.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
^^^ I suppose. In that case I don't get the point of Olly Piers and his inclusion in the storyline, just a weird sideline?

lines posted:

I was really talking about the modern era as well, I guess. I know things are moving forward but I don't have a sense for where they are going - if anyone has a good notion I would be interested.

Bringing back the Primarchs seems to be the main thing at present. Corax has been confirmed to be alive* and active but hasn't really been folded back into the setting yet, ditto Vulkan IIRC. There's no word on Russ, Dorn, or Jaghatai but I guarantee there's some kind of long-term arc that's been conceived for working them all into the ongoing setting.

*He's apparently become essentially a warp entity after spending the past ten thousand years in the Eye of Terror murdering traitors in his neverending hunt for Lorgar

There's also the Star Child, (TEatD2 spoiler) which is the Emperor's aspect of love and compassion that he severed:

TEatD2 posted:

For my King-of-Ages has done more than divest himself of godhood. In that shockwave of warp light, I saw something else, something perhaps only I was in a position to see. He has cast aside a fragment of himself.

My lord and friend has broken off a part of his soul. He has amputated that portion of himself that contains almost all of his hope, loyalty and compassion, for such things will become a hindrance when he faces the Lupercal. Those qualities might stay his hand, or make him hesitate if he is ultimately obliged to kill.

And if he is obliged to kill his son, then those qualities would afterwards, and inevitably, drive him to self-hatred and regret, and condemn him to the same, embittered path as Horus. He has excised those precious human aspects to further steel himself against the pain of what will come after, and the mandatory atrocities he will have to countenance in order to rebuild the Imperium. He has set those frail and cardinal virtues adrift on the tides of the empyrean so that they will not immobilise him.

And in the hope that one day, he will be able to reclaim them, and be whole again.

I watch that jettisoned fragment as it drifts into the void, just one more spark from this world-bonfire. All his hope, his mercy, his grace, his love, cast into the lightless tracts of space and time. That fragile asterism will, as cosmic ages turn, slowly grow by a coalescence of emotion and belief, just as the powers of Chaos grow.

It luminesces briefly, just a speck of hermetic fire against the shrouded pinpricks of the Milky Way, like an infant sun or a child star, and then it is gone, and lost from view.

I am profoundly struck by his sacrifice. I would weep if I could. I would weep for my friend. He has done what is necessary for the greater future, and left himself ready for this atemporal moment. I see him still. I can just make him out. His steadfast radiance has occulted. It has dimmed and almost gone, but he is shining still. He is hardened for war, a joyless aspect, a figure of pitiless gold, more ready for the callous needs of this ending than ever he was when he rose in majesty from the throne.

He strides, relentless and resolved, towards the final meeting.

Reuniting the Emperor with that part of himself could be another Big Turning Point for the setting in the same way that breaking Cadia was a Big Turning Point. Something that years of stories work towards and then changes the setting in a big way. I'm not sure that's where they're going, but it's a plausible longterm arc.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Kylaer posted:

^^^ I suppose. In that case I don't get the point of Olly Piers and his inclusion in the storyline, just a weird sideline?

The purpose of his inclusion is that he fits the themes that Abnett is trying to bring out and serves as a POV for the fall of eternity wall. Not everything in the books is meant to be missing pieces for Lexicanum, filling in who’s really who and where X came from. Some of it is just there because it’s a good story and makes you think or feel what the author wants.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The purpose of his inclusion is that he fits the themes that Abnett is trying to bring out and serves as a POV for the fall of eternity wall. Not everything in the books is meant to be missing pieces for Lexicanum, filling in who’s really who and where X came from. Some of it is just there because it’s a good story and makes you think or feel what the author wants.

I phrased that badly. I think character arcs like Jenetia Krole and Camba Diaz are exactly what you're saying, and Piers too, it's just weird that Piers' story is beat-for-beat exactly what is needed to become the legend, and Piers himself even discusses the value of becoming a legend, but...that's all a red herring?

quote:

Piers nodded. ‘Good,’ he said. ‘Good, then.’ With some effort, he got back down on his knees, and began scrubbing the banner again. ‘But tell it right, if you’re telling it,’ he added. ‘What I’m saying is, do it justice. Make a proper tale out of it, eh? It wasn’t no banner, it was the Emperor Himself. In person. I stood before the Emperor on the battlefields of Terra, to protect Him. Put myself in harm’s way, for His sake. And it wasn’t no raving World Eater, neither. Make it… say it was the Great Traitor himself. Big, bad Lupercal.’

‘I’m not putting that,’ said Hari.

‘Why not?’

‘No one would ever believe it,’ said Hari.

Then the old grenadier says, ‘They don’t have to believe it, they just have to like it. It just has to be inspiring.’ The young man thinks about this, and then types some more on his slate.

It just seems like some M Night Shyalaman-grade twist to say "No, this isn't where the legend of a guardsman named Ollanius defending the Emperor got started."

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Kylaer posted:

It just seems like some M Night Shyalaman-grade twist to say "No, this isn't where the legend of a guardsman named Ollanius defending the Emperor got started."

A story about a Normal Person (arguably a Normal Man due to the bubbling :umberto: the Imperium was going to become) defending the Emperor was going to happen, be it due Actually Happening or due to a Space-CIA agent ensuring the story gets told as propaganda.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yup.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Ok, I'm finally done with the book. 18 loving years, holy poo poo they happened fast for me.

Others have already talked about this but I really think these last books are too bloated and drag too much. Don't get me wrong, I like them and have some really strong scenes and creative ideas. I know Abnett had good reasons to do this, but still the pace and structure is an unholy abomination and should have been curtailed. However, in the end it is too fitting and representative of the Horus heresy books as a whole, so it's fine.

Also, gently caress Samus and gently caress Erebus, seriously he's the biggest piece of poo poo to ever existed

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Kylaer posted:

I phrased that badly. I think character arcs like Jenetia Krole and Camba Diaz are exactly what you're saying, and Piers too, it's just weird that Piers' story is beat-for-beat exactly what is needed to become the legend, and Piers himself even discusses the value of becoming a legend, but...that's all a red herring?

Abnett discusses exactly this in the afterword to Saturnine. The legend of Pius comes from Piers’ stand before the banner, and the real Ollanius’s death, and probably other, similar heroic stands too, all amalgamated with the details mixed up through thousands of years and thousands of retellings. That’s how legends are born.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It should also be said that the artwork in the book is really loving good.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
alpharius grammaticus and persson were def the ones i wanted to see in the people list at the beginning of any/all these books.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Abnett discusses exactly this in the afterword to Saturnine. The legend of Pius comes from Piers’ stand before the banner, and the real Ollanius’s death, and probably other, similar heroic stands too, all amalgamated with the details mixed up through thousands of years and thousands of retellings. That’s how legends are born.

Oh, okay. I misread you at the very start of this line of discussion, and thought when you said this:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You were saying that Olly Piers didn't contribute or factor into the legend of Ollanius the Guardsman. I think we've just been talking past each other. I agree with what you're saying now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perturabo doing the 40K equivalent of sitting down and watching world shattering events unfold on TV broadcast didn't add much to the book but it was also really, really funny. He became the blue glow of his monitor, which he refuses to turn off and go touch grass.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 28, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Perturabo doing the 40K equivalent of sitting down and watching world shattering events unfold on TV broadcast didn't add much to the book but it was also really, really funny.

Also breaking all the stuff in his room in a fit of :spergin: rage. It's perfect. Just the right note to go out on before spending the next 10,000 years as a NEET.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ok its been a full day of reflection and re-reading a few parts

gently caress erebus. i know loken dying was thematically appropriate but ugh i hate that loving guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He won’t get it but abnett deserves a Hugo for that