Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Time for a CGP Grey derail? https://youtu.be/l4w6808wJcU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

deimos posted:

Time for a CGP Grey derail? https://youtu.be/l4w6808wJcU

My 3 year old is obsessed with flags and this is one of his favorite videos. Pro click

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Doesn't hold a candle to Maryland.

That flag is real loving wild.

Bah. St Louis takes the cake for city flags.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I managed to get a seemingly well maintained, working, Elu MF177 router today for £15. The old guy I got it from just seemed giddy that someone was interested in it. Edit: Apparently this is the same thing as a DeWalt DW625.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2024

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Through Sunday DTO has 40% off on most things PLUS Free shipping with coupon code JANFREESHIP

Sadly, they still haven't discounted the Finish Nailer that Slugworth has previously been pining for. They are adamant that it will only be discounted 22%.

As usual, do a sanity check on a deal before you pull the trigger by checking price history at https://darn.tools/ or asking here/checking slickdeals.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BeAuMaN posted:

Through Sunday DTO has 40% off on most things PLUS Free shipping with coupon code JANFREESHIP

Sadly, they still haven't discounted the Finish Nailer that Slugworth has previously been pining for. They are adamant that it will only be discounted 22%.

As usual, do a sanity check on a deal before you pull the trigger by checking price history at https://darn.tools/ or asking here/checking slickdeals.
The margin on those nailers must be the only thin one in their lineup. Some day I'll just suck it up. Some day.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pro tip: Justify your tool purchases by helping your wife remove jewelry with them. Snap ring pliers are magical for removing captive beads from ear rings.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

but I don't need to justify snap ring pliers, I need to justify this new table saw

simble
May 11, 2004

ryanrs posted:

but I don't need to justify snap ring pliers, I need to justify this new table saw

Not quite as good but the table saw can also remove captive beads.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

simble posted:

Not quite as good but the table saw can also remove captive beads.

:yeah:

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Here’s a nifty tool I just learned about :

I had always used a tap and die to “repair” damaged threads but it turns out that they don’t really repair the threads, they just cut and remove any damage, leaving a weaker thread behind. Thread chasers like these will correct damaged threads, returning any bent or malformed threads to their original position. I had gotten the metric set for working on cars and restoring any damaged fasteners but I think I’m gonna get the SAE set too .. it’s quite satisfying to transform a stiff, crunchy fastener into a nut you can spin on with a flick of your fingers

I grabbed the Lang set because made in USA and they supply these to the tool trucks but I’m sure the less expensive thread chaser sets work fine as well

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The Equalizer

ENERPAC Flange Alignment Tool: 1/2 in Min Flange Thick, 3 1/4 in Max Flange Thick, 3 in Spread

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I see folks in videos using big rolls of brown paper to cover work surfaces before gluing. What sort of place would sell this stuff?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Lowes Depot has it in the painting section with the tarps and drop cloths.

Your local ace/whatever should have it too. As will your local Sherwin Williams.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I see folks in videos using big rolls of brown paper to cover work surfaces before gluing. What sort of place would sell this stuff?

Butcher paper is the search term.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

Butcher paper is the search term.

Red rosin paper or Kraft paper (paper made using the kraft process which makes a stronger paper) are the better terms if you want brown paper. Butcher paper is white, and sometimes but not always waxed and usually not as stiff/strong as brown kraft paper, tho butcher paper is I think a bleached kraft paper usually.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 28, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks, Kraft paper found me what I'm after.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Thank you I had a feeling that I was subtly wrong but couldn't put my finger on it.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Did Harbor Freight just divide by zero? I don't think I've seen a 6 gallon pancake paired with a quiet motor. Hot drat. 2.7CFM too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-gal...utm_content=ntt

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Red rosin paper or Kraft paper (paper made using the kraft process which makes a stronger paper) are the better terms if you want brown paper. Butcher paper is white, and sometimes but not always waxed and usually not as stiff/strong as brown kraft paper, tho butcher paper is I think a bleached kraft paper usually.

searching for Ram Board will also get you what you are after.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ram board is substantially thicker than Kraft paper

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah ramboard is like cardboard/paperboard and extremely useful but also heavy and expensive

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's great for covering existing flooring from getting hosed up during a remodel.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I use paper grocery bags for smaller glue ups, particularly the ones that I tear and can't reuse for their properties of being bags

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh I also got a cheap partial case of some sheets of paper listed as packing material. Idk what that costs normally but they're like 3x4 feet and a bajillion in a box

E. Something like this

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 3, 2024

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I bought a 800' roll of newsprint from an office supply store and that does a great job, it is much thinner than craft paper though, so it sometimes get torn when I move clamps around on it, but not too big of a deal. I also use it as a backdrop for when I take my finished, nice photos of completed projects.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My glueing table has a formica top and nothing sticks to it except epoxy. So if you have a runoff table or something you can cover in formica that's great. My local countertop place let me dumpster dive and I got two sheets of chipped laminate and a big chunk of particleboard/laminate countertop that had the backsplash broken off for a 6 pack of beer.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Due to space my gluing top is my table saw.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I also use my tablesaw for some gluing, as it's dead flat so I know my assembly won't be twisted/warped if it lays flat on the saw during glue-up.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
My greatest shame is I don't have a flat work surface.

I bust out two wobbly DIY saw horses and a big piece of warped plywood and pretend I am making good wood things.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I use two sawhorses and an old hollow core interior door when I need one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just squat on the garage floor like a woodshop Gollum. It's the biggest, flattest bench in the house!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

canyoneer posted:

Just squat on the garage floor like a woodshop Gollum. It's the biggest, flattest bench in the house!

Speak for your own house! My garage floor is not particularly flat

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SpartanIvy posted:

I feel seen.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I feel like I could hand-excavate a flatter surface than my garage floor.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

Same. Intentionally, though. It has a slope to a drain.

It made building the platform for the power cage interesting.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Any suggestions on hardware storage containers? I need a bunch of containers for screws that have a lid to keep dust out and screws in, be stackable for transport, large-ish (4"x5"x5"+? A bit larger than a quart), and also easily accessible/openable with one hand. I don't want a box/tray with a bunch of little trays inside it, just individual boxes that work together.

I think AkroBins with lids would work, but I'm not sure if the lids really snap close securely or how well they stack with the lids on:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Any suggestions on hardware storage containers? I need a bunch of containers for screws that have a lid to keep dust out and screws in, be stackable for transport, large-ish (4"x5"x5"+? A bit larger than a quart), and also easily accessible/openable with one hand. I don't want a box/tray with a bunch of little trays inside it, just individual boxes that work together.

I think AkroBins with lids would work, but I'm not sure if the lids really snap close securely or how well they stack with the lids on:

Philosophically, for hardware small parts storage, decent lidded bins plus shelved rack is my favorite solution.

Eg, these stanley parts bins have held up to being filled with screws and whatnot in my experience.

I went whole hog on the packout equivalent during holiday sales since I had a bunch from a previous holiday sale.

Buncha those plus a rack is my favorite for small parts storage, since I tend to grab things and take them to where in working on something.

Stupid expensive example: https://plumbingvans.com/product/parts-organizer-tower-6-dewalt-milwaukee-bins/

DIY example:

For electronics components, I really like the small Akro-Mils drawers. For frequent use stuff in a shop, I think the ones you linked plus a rack is probably best imho.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The thing I don't like about those stanley/packout parts bins is that the lid takes up a ton of space on a bench and I need to store alot more screws than that. Like several different ~5# boxes of 1000 screws of several different sizes . I probably should get a parts bin and keep it stocked for working out of the shop as an easy 'grab this and know you have a handful of every screw size' and not lug around entire boxes of screws tho, and then how well whatever boxes I wind up with for the shop stack doesn't matter so much.

Is the little rack those Akrobins clip on easily DIY-able? I need some narrow flat storage for sandpaper as well but they don't make a great container size for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Due to space my gluing top is my table saw.

Ain't no shame in that. The table saw is the kitchen island in most workspaces.