Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
strength has not been rare for my esper so far but def def has been. according to apocryphal gamefaqs information str is more likely to go up if you swing weapons and def if you get hit, and i do swing with weapons sometimes on my esper for real trashy fights where i dont wanna use something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In FFLII there's a really clear connection between what you use and what stats you gain, in this one it's seeming pretty iffy.

The DEF in espers is basically just a free bonus given humans can't raise innate DEF at all. Or use the cheap magic books that are better than any expensive weapon in the game and will wipe an enemy group in one hit all the way to the last dungeon

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've played through FFL many times and mutants have always seemed completely random to me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

my espers keep getting stone or death gaze it owns

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

: Collect two spheres

Tonesy
Apr 15, 2004

QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE
I just got to the second world, and my esper is def carrying the team. The spell book is busted

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
im being pranked rn

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Started the final fantasy legend and my mutant girl named Fart has an attack called stench goty

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

didn't know you were into that

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

: Get a mutant character to 99 mana (PLATINUM)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

cool skeleton

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Get you a couple of stone books and kill most bosses easy

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Leadthumb posted:

cool skeleton

turn off signatures

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

how does this compare to other saga games if i like the weird leveling and hate everything else about it

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

the weird leveling and weapon durability are the only significant SaGa things in FFL. Otherwise it's just a simple 8 bit JRPG.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

: Get a human character to 99 strength and agility

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

: Enter the tower for the first time

funny little game so far.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

American McGay posted:

You people need to be killed.

lmfao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

havent had a chance to start FFL yet, if i'm a neanderthal who just likes attacking over and over & not overthinking systems how rough of a time am i in for

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

feels like the humans are the weakest althgouh maybe once theyre 99d on agi and str with the last tier of weapons ill feel different. my mutant/esper has two group wide instant deaths + damage resist and also gets to wear a full armor set + auto levels agi/str for the same weapons as the humans, and the monster since world 2 has just been one tapping everything and at this point has 666 hp, 75 def, and resists all damage types

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

: Get a human character to 99 strength and agility

: Get a mutant character to 99 mana (PLATINUM)

: Beat the game

Fwiw I didn't get anyone to 99 mana til like right before the 2nd to last boss, but also didn't grind anywhere to purposely level it. Fun little game. Having no stats to check and keeping my fighter using a lightsaber and gun for most the game because it was cool was great lol. Shout out to both espers getting stone gaze and death gaze fairly early, I never let them switch away.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stux posted:

feels like the humans are the weakest althgouh maybe once theyre 99d on agi and str with the last tier of weapons ill feel different. my mutant/esper has two group wide instant deaths + damage resist and also gets to wear a full armor set + auto levels agi/str for the same weapons as the humans, and the monster since world 2 has just been one tapping everything and at this point has 666 hp, 75 def, and resists all damage types

Exact opposite experience. Monsters with stone/death are good but everything else is worthless. Esper with good magic has been the best, mine almost always attacks first too

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I'm kind of enjoying how incredibly simple the goals and maps are in this game so far. And I feel like I only barely understand the monster system but I've been surviving fine so far by just having mine eat everything lol. also lmao at the piranha sprite:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mbt posted:

Exact opposite experience. Monsters with stone/death are good but everything else is worthless. Esper with good magic has been the best, mine almost always attacks first too

guess it might be super reliant on which monster lines you get into. the one i ended up on is fire giant and it has 95 str and 93 mana w flame and tornado so it just out dpses everyone but the insta kill spamming esper lol

Tonesy
Apr 15, 2004

QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE

Stux posted:

This was my experience until I got to a point where every trip to town I could buy a bunch of potions, then it slightly evened out between the human(s) and espers

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's a very weird design wherin humans will stay broadly mid-tier throughout the game and need a lot of financial investment whereas espers will start weak and then become unstoppable monsters once you've bought the spellbooks for 500. The only bad thing about espers is the one late game boss with spell resistance

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
it's a very unorthodox system (humans have to buy all their stats, espers/mutants are slaves to the rng, monsters change entirely every four or so battles, the entire lives system thing) that i didn't quite understand until halfway through the first world. to be fair, i basically went in completely blind without so much as looking at a manual, so that one's on me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's a loving mess. SaGa ftmfw

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

P-Mack posted:

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

P-Mack posted:

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Humans are the best class in the GB version by a huge margin thanks to bugs. It seems that Mutant skills don't double up on WSC. Big improvement over GB where you'd spend all of Continent running around with 3 copies of Telepathy and a Flame weakness.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cuts both ways though, don't get to double up on Armor or one of the good damage skills.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

P-Mack posted:

yeah lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
This game would be garbage if it was hard but in fact it's kind of sick

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
the start of world 4 was actually a lil hard due to its gimmick and i could feel my patience for the game greatly diminish lol. world 4 wasnt that long though so it got better.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

got stuck in what I think is world 2? the first new overworld map that you get to after entering the tower. i have similar dumb brain like this:

symbolic posted:

havent had a chance to start FFL yet, if i'm a neanderthal who just likes attacking over and over & not overthinking systems how rough of a time am i in for

it's not bad though. main thing is that it's way different than a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest game where you just keep making numbers go up with fancier gear and traditional exp/leveling. it's an interesting system and i'm curious to go back to FFL2/3 and to try the SNES SaGa games now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tmfc posted:

got stuck in what I think is world 2? the first new overworld map that you get to after entering the tower.
do you mean the place where everyone's happy and just eating and sleeping? that's just a small side diversion, keep going until you can't go further

if you mean the ocean with lots of islands, one of the tiny little circular islands can be controlled like a boat, letting you roam freely without having to deal with those caves anymore.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

The Kins posted:

do you mean the place where everyone's happy and just eating and sleeping? that's just a small side diversion, keep going until you can't go further

if you mean the ocean with lots of islands, one of the tiny little circular islands can be controlled like a boat, letting you roam freely without having to deal with those caves anymore.

ty. made it to both, thought maybe i had missed some task in the place where everyone's happy, but clearly i was missing something in the actual world 2.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Kins posted:

check "config" in the pause menu, it'll let you speed up the text in the battles a ton

Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Kins posted:

That's a great bit of storytelling. I love how you get to heaven immediately after the first section of the game, and you're supposed to just get bored and leave.