Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pre-order is out now for PlayStation 5. I want to get the game but on Steam, so have to wait until the 29th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

booky said i should post the final result of me going through the entire 800+ jrpg tiermaker template, however i think i will get cyberbullied if i just barf it out full-size so i will just post some timgs
im going to post the entire thing. get ready

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That list = :blastu:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres also some really weird omissions on this list, like having fate/extra but not fate/extra ccc, counting lightning returns and the the action rpg arc the lad games as JRPGs but not the earlier yakuza games or nier, not having ff16 but having persona 3 reload which isnt even out yet, missing half the crossover tales games, having a bunch of rando JRPG inspired western indies but basically no JP indies, and even missing a bunch of decently popular western RPG maker games like exit fate, having the utwarerumono games but not some other VN/SRPG hybrids, having the gensou suikoden game which are literally just adventure game, or seemingly just picking a handful of mobile games at random to include.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If KH2 is among the top its a good list imo.

Earlier list didn't even seem to have KH2? Surely a mistake but I don't appreciate it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The 7th Guest posted:

booky said i should post the final result of me going through the entire 800+ jrpg tiermaker template, however i think i will get cyberbullied if i just barf it out full-size so i will just post some timgs

it's interesting what is still missing from such a giant list. no ara fell, no half-minute hero, no crystal project, no the last remnant (unless I overlooked it), none of Experience's games, several Vita RPGs like mind zero. but they do have infinite undiscovery. and a couple of indie RPGs on there that aren't even out yet like Oddventure, Other: Her Loving Embrace, and Oddity (which originally went by Mother 4 and has had so few updates that a subreddit dedicated to the game stopped allowing new posts as of 6 months ago, until any kind of new information were to be released). and also Moon which has RPG in the title but IDK if i'd actually call it an RPG so much as I'd call it Purestrain Love-de-lic

so many games...!!!
oh i didn't notice it either but some of the games in the final pic have tls (+ fan ones) :v: the fes all have tls now, majin tenseis 1+2 and digital devil story 1 do also, but not the other megatens like card summoner or the flipphone ones, and theres a few super robot wars which have tls by now like W, J, and VXT + 30

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i'd have to look up the games on romhacking to see what's gotten TLs and what hasn't. but SRW is a very large series. there technically are other things i recognized in that category like Puyo Puyo RPG but I didn't know how many entries it had, which had TLs, etc

e: with the KHs i couldn't tell which was which from the small squares, i realized later on in the list that you could right click on the images to see the full posters but didn't go back. KH1 i like more than KH2 but KH2 was fine. i just didn't have a ton of interest in continuing after that. but after all these years i'd probably be willing to dip back in at some point, especially since those remixes are on Epic Store now

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 29, 2024

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

these are the games i have particular opinions about. i've played a bunch more that would all go into "Good" or "Serviceable" but i didn't feel like dragging them all in

games that aren't in the pool:
-Half Minute Hero 2, Crystal Project, and CrossCode would all be Peak
-Threads of Fate would be Awesome
-Magical Starsign would be Great

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

a big rear end chunk of the games in the can't id tier are megatens like smt 1/2, the majin tenseis, the flip phone games, giten, and uh, card summoner (and also the bad gacha)??? jurys still out on the rest though...

wait why the gently caress does this tier list have loving smt card summoner, a game absolutely no one remembers, but not ff16.

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah i'd have to look up the games on romhacking to see what's gotten TLs and what hasn't. but SRW is a very large series. there technically are other things i recognized in that category like Puyo Puyo RPG but I didn't know how many entries it had, which had TLs, etc

e: with the KHs i couldn't tell which was which from the small squares, i realized later on in the list that you could right click on the images to see the full posters but didn't go back. KH1 i like more than KH2 but KH2 was fine. i just didn't have a ton of interest in continuing after that. but after all these years i'd probably be willing to dip back in at some point, especially since those remixes are on Epic Store now

ahhh true... for srw its basically like final fantasy or smth and you can just jump in wherever at least!!

also is this the tier list maker people used?? https://tiermaker.com/create/massive-jrpg-tier-list-600-games-656268

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
not actually looking at the lists just assuming

no troubleshooter either, this is fake and gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it does not have troubleshooter no

or like any chinese/korean games in general

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Booky posted:

ahhh true... for srw its basically like final fantasy or smth and you can just jump in wherever at least!!

also is this the tier list maker people used?? https://tiermaker.com/create/massive-jrpg-tier-list-600-games-656268
yeah it is. and it does have ff16. but the square images for a lot of games are cropped weirdly

i can see i have a long way to go to catch up to endorph

Endorph posted:

also if you have any interest in SRW id recommend OGs on ps2, it has a fan translation and is a remake of both OG1 and OG2. its good. no licensed mechs tho. if you want a crossover game in english id probably start with T?
ah ok cool. it is helpful to know what game to jump into first for any new series

digimon excluded of course because the games for that franchise are all over the loving place

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if you have any interest in SRW id recommend OGs on ps2, it has a fan translation and is a remake of both OG1 and OG2. its good. no licensed mechs tho. if you want a crossover game in english id probably start with T?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I’m malding at the placement of Bravely Second, Oath in Felghana, and Re:Coded but I can’t complain all that much otherwise. Actually, this list is a good way to choose how go through my RPG backlog after LAD8…

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The 7th Guest posted:

it's interesting what is still missing from such a giant list. no ara fell, no half-minute hero, no crystal project, no the last remnant (unless I overlooked it), none of Experience's games, several Vita RPGs like mind zero. but they do have infinite undiscovery. and a couple of indie RPGs on there that aren't even out yet like Oddventure, Other: Her Loving Embrace, and Oddity (which originally went by Mother 4 and has had so few updates that a subreddit dedicated to the game stopped allowing new posts as of 6 months ago, until any kind of new information were to be released). and also Moon which has RPG in the title but IDK if i'd actually call it an RPG so much as I'd call it Purestrain Love-de-lic

Goddamn :catstare: did you actually play/finish all of these or are these someone else’s ratings ?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So many games I haven't played so I cropped them all from the image lol

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

glad we managed to find the one person who liked alliance alive

Count me in as one more. That game had great vibes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

glad we managed to find the one person who liked alliance alive

I liked it too. There might even be as many as a dozen people out there who like it!

I really hope that team gets another go at that kind of game, they were close to making something great but not quite.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the idea of having enough brain power to even comb through that thing looking for what i've played is completely alien to me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
well great now i have to prove i have brain power

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I will prove I have brain power by not wasting my time on that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Clarste posted:

I will prove I have brain power by not wasting my time on that.

This

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Goddamn :catstare: did you actually play/finish all of these or are these someone else’s ratings ?

Most of them are in the "I haven't played this" and "I've never heard of this" tiers.....
Is it not possible to just exclude things from showing up on the list?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Didn't include a bunch I'd played but couldn't remember enough to have an opinion on. Not in order within ranks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Re: Dragon Quarter: I was thinking of picking up Berseria again the other day to play more of it after a few years and suddenly really wished that more games had a 'start the story over, but with the power level you're at (and maybe collectibles or some completion stuff I dunno)' that Dragon Quarter sorta poked at. I think in that you just kept power tabs or something, but there were two ways to restart...I forget. Regardless. Some sorta New Game+, but without having to beat the whole game to use it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

The whole system with the dragon transformation in particular was just bad. If you knew the trick to maximizing your value from it, you could trivialize every boss fight in the game with it

Unlike every other Breath of Fire game?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They were nerfed extensively in BoF4.

BoF2's would have been pretty under control if you couldn't craft wise bottles.

At least BoF3's is the fun kind of broken, although too bad about the rest of the cast being so comically underpowered compared to Ryu.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you knew what you were doing with Peco you could easily turn him into a beast since the Master system exists and he starts at level 1.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Re: Dragon Quarter: I was thinking of picking up Berseria again the other day to play more of it after a few years and suddenly really wished that more games had a 'start the story over, but with the power level you're at (and maybe collectibles or some completion stuff I dunno)' that Dragon Quarter sorta poked at. I think in that you just kept power tabs or something, but there were two ways to restart...I forget. Regardless. Some sorta New Game+, but without having to beat the whole game to use it.

Some of the SaGa remasters have that feature, it's pretty handy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

the games you couldn't figure out from the images given are, in order:

Brandish (SNES)
Brandish: The Dark Revenant (PSP)
Danball Senki Wars (3DS)
Brandish 2: The Planet Buster (SNES)
Brandish VT (PC98)
Danball Senki W Chou Custom (3DS)
okay i actually have no idea what this one is at all. it's not summon night 6 and i don't know any other obscure rpg that goes up to 6 (PSP??)
Danball Senki (PSP)
Danball Senki Boost (PSP)
Glory of Heracles IV: Gift from the Gods (SNES)
Glory of Heracles III: Silence of the Gods (NES)
Digimon Tamers 02: Tag Tamers (WonderSwan)
Glory of Heracles II: Titan's Ruin (NES)
Madou Monogatari (Saturn)
Dragon Quest Wars (DSi)
Toujin Makyou Den: Glory of Heracles (NES)
Final Fantasy: All the Bravest (nowhere, it's dead)
Final Fantasy Dimensions (Android)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS)
FNaF World (Hell)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children - Book of Ice (GBA)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children - White Book (GBC)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children - Black Book / Red Book (PS1)
Terranigma (SNES)
Glory of Heracles: The Gods Come Alive (GBC)
ok i've never seen this one i'll leave it to whoever played whatever indie rpg this is (PC)
Madou Monogatari: Secret of Elysium (Windows 95)
LiEat (PC)
Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II (NES)
Shin Megami Tensei Trading Card: Card Summoner (GBC)
i have never seen this one in my life. (vita???)
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (SNES)
Shin Megami Tensei (SNES)
RONDE (Saturn)
Majin Tensei (SNES)
Majin Tensei Blind Thinker (2000s java phones, has a switch port)
Majin Tensei Blind Thinker II (2000s java phones, does not have a switch port)
Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis (SNES)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible - New Testament (2000s java phones, has a switch port)
Last Bible III (SNES)
Another Bible (GB)
Shin Megami Tensei 20XX Devil's Colosseum (2000s java phones, does not have a switch port)
it... might be shin megami tensei: tokyo requiem??? some spinoff game that's hard to find (2000s java phones, does not have a switch port)
Shin Megami Tensei 20XX (2000s java phones, does not have a switch port)
Shin Megami Tensei II (SNES)
i have no idea (???)
what these two are (PC?)
Other: Her Loving Embrace (PC, not out yet)
i cant even tell what i'm looking at (??)
SaGa II: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny (DS)
Sakura Wars: Burning Blood (PS2)
Death End re;Quest (PS4)
Death End re;Quest 2 (PS4)
these next three images
are too low res and cut off
for me to even possibly parse what they are
Langrisser II (Genesis)
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)
Vandal Hearts II (PS1)
Vanguard Bandits (PS1)
Zanki Zero: Last Beginning (Vita)
why are these images so loving small e; oh wait it's Genso Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki (PSP)
Jade Cocoon II (PS2)
yeah this one is just too small to be readable

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 29, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im pretty sure one of those is an earthbound fangame

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh yeah the one with two weird aliens orbiting earth is Mother: Cognitive Dissonance (PC)

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 29, 2024

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ive read all the lists and every game on them. im happy to report every game is in precisely the right ranking. good job everyone!!

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

The Colonel posted:

okay i actually have no idea what this one is at all. it's not summon night 6 and i don't know any other obscure rpg that goes up to 6 (PSP??)

It's Breath of Fire 6 for some reason

The Colonel posted:

these next three images
are too low res and cut off
for me to even possibly parse what they are

First two of these are Tears to Tiara 1 and 2

The Colonel posted:

yeah this one is just too small to be readable

Namco Super Wars for the Wonder Swan Color, apparently (I spent way too long staring at those tiny half cut off katakana and typed an educated guess into google)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thank you

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The Hylics games are good :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Granblue Relink was pretty fun, but I think Monster Hunter comparisons may hurt it. Honestly the thing it reminds me most of was playing FFXIV (and FFXIV with Trusts in single player.) It has a whole lot more MMO DNA than Monster Hunter DNA.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Granblue Relink was pretty fun, but I think Monster Hunter comparisons may hurt it. Honestly the thing it reminds me most of was playing FFXIV (and FFXIV with Trusts in single player.) It has a whole lot more MMO DNA than Monster Hunter DNA.

Yeah I got a lot of FF16 vibes from the first major boss as well.

I used my first character card to unlock Vaseraga and goddamn this guy is a beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've heard people comparing it to Xenoblade too lol

Something about this game and genre brain worms really have gone to people's heads. I blame Palworld