Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

little munchkin posted:

He's worked his way to the top of a company where the culture is the show must go on no matter what horrific things just happened, it's pretty ingrained in him at this point and consequences are just a foreign concept.

Obviously the worst example of the Show Must Go On mentality will always be Owen but I'm going back to how absolutely lackluster the show after Bray Wyatt's death was and how it started with a "golly gee the show must go on, we have to entertain :)" monologue. Like, I don't want this to be an X Company Vs Y Company thing but the memories of Jay Briscoe and Brodie Lee hover over AEW, their absences constantly acknowledged. There's this really distressing feeling to how Bray was so quickly given lipservice and moved on from, just another cog in the machine. It's a ghoulish company in so, so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

96 BELOW THE WAVE posted:

Does the apartment/condo situation with the building manager helping connect her with Vince feel coordinated? I admit that wasn’t my impression reading the suit, but only because it seemed she’d made friends as she was trying to get back on her feet, so the manager contacting Vince on her behalf felt more a good faith offer with horrific results. It didn’t strike me as a Ghislaine pipeline. None of the folks from the building were named or Apartment Manager #2’d, were they?

And obviously having typed all that I realize I’m in a way asking ‘please let this not have been a well-used lure’ with not a lot of hope

I don't think there's nearly enough evidence to jump to this conclusion, especially since her complaint specifically says the building manager "wanted to help." It just comes off as the manager knowing Vince and thinking this is an unlucky woman Vince could give a hand to. For all we know (and hope), the manager is as horrified as we all are.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Alan_Shore posted:

Has any ex-WWE wrestler commented on this at all? It's been a few days now and afaik it's been radio silence by everyone. I wouldn't expect any current WWE wrestlers to say anything cos they'd be fired instantly, but others surely...

Ryback did a big like "this is what I've been saying for years, the truth always wins out in the end" bit on TikTok that ended with a "feed me more" because the dude can't help himself.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pylons posted:

Someone brought up an interesting point. If Triple H wasn't read up on the lawsuit, why did he cancel Brock's creative for the Rumble?

Alvarez talked about it on one of his videos with a British woman. Would have been a great question for hunter.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Obviously the worst example of the Show Must Go On mentality will always be Owen but I'm going back to how absolutely lackluster the show after Bray Wyatt's death was and how it started with a "golly gee the show must go on, we have to entertain :)" monologue. Like, I don't want this to be an X Company Vs Y Company thing but the memories of Jay Briscoe and Brodie Lee hover over AEW, their absences constantly acknowledged. There's this really distressing feeling to how Bray was so quickly given lipservice and moved on from, just another cog in the machine. It's a ghoulish company in so, so many ways.

It's funny that Cody made a point to describe wwe as a big family, while aew is the company that acts like a family. Maybe he meant another kind of family

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

disaster pastor posted:

I don't think there's nearly enough evidence to jump to this conclusion, especially since her complaint specifically says the building manager "wanted to help." It just comes off as the manager knowing Vince and thinking this is an unlucky woman Vince could give a hand to. For all we know (and hope), the manager is as horrified as we all are.

That was my hope. I’m sure to his neighbours he was a very nice and outgoing old man—Vince charisma is a long documented thing. If he wasn’t a loving monster this would have been a wonderful story on the six o’clock news celebrating how lovely capitalism is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sir Tonk posted:

Alvarez talked about it on one of his videos with a British woman. Would have been a great question for hunter.

People really need to question Hunter. He is not quick on his mental feet and we need to see him stumbling over the answers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Remember the time where they did completely change Raw to make it a tribute to a recently deceased wrestler? And then it turned out he'd murdered his wife & son before killing himself & the some in the WWE might have been aware of that before the show went out. So maybe after that farce they just decided "never again"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pylons posted:

Someone brought up an interesting point. If Triple H wasn't read up on the lawsuit, why did he cancel Brock's creative for the Rumble?

“Who reported Brock was going to be in the rumble? We never announced that. That was just an internet rumor that people ran with. We never announced any plans for Brock in the rumble.”

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if it’s that Vince has an nda with basically every female wrestler who he has been monstrous to, or if they are just extremely aware of how hard Vince would go after them for defamation

:smith:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gonzo McFee posted:

Maria and Rousey both commented.

Lance Storm called for mass firings pretty much immediately.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShne_838mE&t=320s
Dave and Bryan are the funniest comedy duo of all loving time

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

“Who reported Brock was going to be in the rumble? We never announced that. That was just an internet rumor that people ran with. We never announced any plans for Brock in the rumble.”

No need to even acknowledge the lawsuit or rumble plans as part of the question. "Triple H, now that this year's journey down the Road To Wrestlemania has begun, can we expect to see Brock Lesnar featured on TV soon?"

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

blunt posted:

No need to even acknowledge the lawsuit or rumble plans as part of the question. "Triple H, now that this year's journey down the Road To Wrestlemania has begun, can we expect to see Brock Lesnar featured on TV soon?"

WWE: Just when you think you know the answer, HHH ducks the questions.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hhh gonna start faking heart attacks

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Alan_Shore posted:

Has any ex-WWE wrestler commented on this at all? It's been a few days now and afaik it's been radio silence by everyone. I wouldn't expect any current WWE wrestlers to say anything cos they'd be fired instantly, but others surely...

Dutch Mantell had a hour and a half podcast on it. Rene Dupree and Paul London talked about it on Rene's channel. Yeah, it's strange how much silence there has been

Konnan and Disco talked about it on Konnan's channel

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

some bust on that guy posted:

Dutch Mantell had a hour and a half podcast on it. Rene Dupree and Paul London talked about it on Rene's channel. Yeah, it's strange how much silence there has been

Konnan and Disco talked about it on Konnan's channel

I would not trust literally any of these people to have a good take on this sort of thing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Drakkel posted:

I would not trust literally any of these people to have a good take on this sort of thing.

You really don't want to see Cornette's...

Worse than you can imagine

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I can't believe that poo poo is still up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alan_Shore posted:

Lance Storm thinks it's disgusting and that the company needs to clean house of anyone involved.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, that's where I started thinking about this. It's definitely a horrible rabbit hole to fall down, and considering the involvement of Brock Lesnar in the current case, it also makes me wonder about other top level talent where women victimised by Vince McMahon and pals were used to sweeten deals during negotiations, and how many people in the locker room during this period were aware. I'd believe it if someone way down the card who's at risk of being cut during the annual bloodletting or toiling away in NXT says "mate don't look at me, I had no idea," but I'm pretty sure the top half of the card is full of good Germans, you know?

I don't know about anyone else, but it feels to me like we're only just scratching the surface of McMahon's extra-curriculars.

For those unaware there's a SIX PART "Behind the Bastards" podcast series of eps that just focus on Vince. Vince has been a shitstain since like the late 70's that only got worse as his success grew.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWG4T50nSYbPQ5SfiYmNIwGIITj3ymauu&si=nyPZi_YOriO3KCsQ

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

It's funny that Cody made a point to describe wwe as a big family, while aew is the company that acts like a family. Maybe he meant another kind of family

Yeah, these fuckers.

Jiro posted:

For those unaware there's a SIX PART "Behind the Bastards" podcast series of eps that just focus on Vince. Vince has been a shitstain since like the late 70's that only got worse as his success grew.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWG4T50nSYbPQ5SfiYmNIwGIITj3ymauu&si=nyPZi_YOriO3KCsQ

Gonna have to give that a listen. I used to to listen to that podcast, but I couldn't keep up with their output.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
FWIW that Behind the Bastards series on Vince is not very good and relies heavily on that Ringmaster book which is also not very good

If you wanna hear three not very funny guys crack jokes about Vince and Hulk Hogan it's a pro click though

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

One of the interesting things about Dutch's podcast is just when the host started talking about naming wrestlers after the didos, he immediately went "That sounds like Vince". He said a few times that no one could even make things like this up, it's too crazy, and the specifics of the story match Vince's personality too much

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Behind the Bastards decided to do a reading-a-wiki-out-loud level history of the concept of pro wrestling and an entire episode about the Von Erichs for some reason before even really getting to Vince so it's not really "six episodes" about him. I'd never listened to it before and I think made it three episodes in before calling it quits.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karma Tornado posted:

Behind the Bastards decided to do a reading-a-wiki-out-loud level history of the concept of pro wrestling and an entire episode about the Von Erichs for some reason before even really getting to Vince so it's not really "six episodes" about him. I'd never listened to it before and I think made it three episodes in before calling it quits.

Seanbaby's pretty funny on it but even then pro wrestling isn't his thing and he's in there with a lot of other people and they basically don't get to anything.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I'm still thinking back to Vince's appearance after leaving THE FIRST TIME and just basically saying "Enjoy the show!" and the crowd eating it up like swine.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Seanbaby's pretty funny on it but even then pro wrestling isn't his thing and he's in there with a lot of other people and they basically don't get to anything.

Seanbaby was funny, the host's written jokes were all terrible, the third guy existed to be like "I remember [event] happening" sometimes, and there was also a lady to Google something real quick. just a lot of crosstalk and "oh, no, you go ahead" some somebody could repeat half a joke. bad listening experience, but I don't really listen to podcasts in the first place.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
machete guy sucks. it's nice to know that Seanbaby is a good guy though after my introduction to him being crude edited Hostess ads twenty years ago

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It all seems to boil down to the earlier discussion that was had in the Podcasts thread that it's so difficult to find the right people to actually do a deep dive into the depths of Vince's depravity on every level because you'd need someone who takes wrestling as seriously as it should be who isn't at risk of being blinded by fandom but also knows enough about the concept of kayfabe and the tremendous bullshit surrounding even talking about the artform and on top of that is willing to actually extract the meat of everything he's done and not stop when they've reached the first layer of horrible things he's done. It's so easy to see him as just a blowhard, just a capitalist, just someone involved in sex crimes, when in many ways that's just the start of it all. Anyone with any interest in this doesn't seem equipped to dig as deeply as they have to. It's all so frustrating.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

There is also a danger for a non wrestling person to not get why Vince has such power over talent and not able to see that part of the picture whereas a Wrestling person may default to "Well that's just wrestling" for somethings

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

No way am I watching anything cornette has to say on vince

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

There is also a danger for a non wrestling person to not get why Vince has such power over talent and not able to see that part of the picture whereas a Wrestling person may default to "Well that's just wrestling" for somethings

Exactly, it's a whole snare trap. You'd need, I dunno, an expert on cults or something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It all seems to boil down to the earlier discussion that was had in the Podcasts thread that it's so difficult to find the right people to actually do a deep dive into the depths of Vince's depravity on every level because you'd need someone who takes wrestling as seriously as it should be who isn't at risk of being blinded by fandom but also knows enough about the concept of kayfabe and the tremendous bullshit surrounding even talking about the artform and on top of that is willing to actually extract the meat of everything he's done and not stop when they've reached the first layer of horrible things he's done. It's so easy to see him as just a blowhard, just a capitalist, just someone involved in sex crimes, when in many ways that's just the start of it all. Anyone with any interest in this doesn't seem equipped to dig as deeply as they have to. It's all so frustrating.

You're right, MRT should start a podcast :hmmyes:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Since Behind the Bastards leaned so heavily on Ringmaster for their narrative they share a lot of really odd choices, the most glaring of which is that they spend so much time on Vince's early days and (for wrestling fans) well known stories about loving over the territories and various scandals of the 80s and 90s that they just sort of run out of space/interest in the Attitude Era.

Like literally, the last numbered chapter of Ringmaster ends in 1999 with the reveal of the Higher Power. There's a "coda" that covers 1999 to present that runs about the same length as the examination of Vince and Linda buying the Cape Cod Coliseum in the late 1970s, which goes on for a long time because the author thinks it's really relevant how the McMahons agitated at city council meetings to get a liquor license and eventually abandoned the venue when it stopped being profitable, and how this is a skeleton key to how they used politics and capitalism to build their empire.

The book all but says "I lost interest in wrestling in high school, so obviously I'm going to focus on the Montreal Screwjob and Owen Hart and ECW and kind of gloss over the next two decades", which is an odd choice. And then BTB takes it a step further to do like a five minute chunk on Pat Patterson jerking off to Andre the Giant's big feet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

All right, fine, I'll be his cohost.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yeah it had been a while since I listened to those episodes, on second thought it was s bad recommendation.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Rarity posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say MRT

I also miss the Monumental Podcast

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Majinfoose posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say MRT

I also miss the Monumental Podcast

Wow it's only been a week since the last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

This would be incredibly big. Large, even. I'm struggling to think of a word that could capture the enormity.