Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Great to live in a country where the government routinely falls for "I got your nose!"

It makes sense when you realize that it's the same people on both sides. Working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

tinytort posted:

Today, though, I went and checked Dayforce to refresh my memory about her name, and noticed that my payrate has changed. It used to be $18.54, it's now $16.55 and it's claiming that I started at $15.55 - which I know I drat well didn't.

Okay, this has been sorted out. HR says there's no record that I was ever making 18.54 as rate, and that would have put me above the collective agreement. I do get tips, as a perk of being front of house, which functionally brings me up to 18.54 (or higher, in good times), but I'm now very confused about where the hell I got that number from and why I have a really clear memory of Dayforce showing that as my rate.

Job searching continues.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

tinytort posted:

Okay, this has been sorted out. HR says there's no record that I was ever making 18.54 as rate, and that would have put me above the collective agreement. I do get tips, as a perk of being front of house, which functionally brings me up to 18.54 (or higher, in good times), but I'm now very confused about where the hell I got that number from and why I have a really clear memory of Dayforce showing that as my rate.

Job searching continues.

Do you have old pay stubs? That would solve the question pretty quickly.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you have old pay stubs? That would solve the question pretty quickly.

Only digital ones on Dayforce, because I never thought I'd need to print them out. And those all agree with HR. I don't have anything that would prove my case, and it's not worth the energy of fighting a case I'm not confident in when I'm trying to get out of here anyways. I don't need to burn bridges I haven't even crossed yet.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Cross reference them with the deposits into your bank account and hours worked

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tinytort posted:

Only digital ones on Dayforce, because I never thought I'd need to print them out. And those all agree with HR. I don't have anything that would prove my case, and it's not worth the energy of fighting a case I'm not confident in when I'm trying to get out of here anyways. I don't need to burn bridges I haven't even crossed yet.

Maybe burn down HR?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Use the heat from the fire to power a balloon and float away to wherever the wind takes you

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

tinytort posted:

Another good reason to keep your W2s (or local equivalent).

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
They changed something in the matrix

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Just HR being HR.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
$16.55/hr is below the minimum wage where i live

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

DELETE CASCADE posted:

$16.55/hr is below the minimum wage where i live

I wish I had kept track of the number of jobs I've applied for for things like software QA or SQL database admin work with tons of mandatory over-the-top candidate requirements only to get told the job pays between $14-18 hourly.

Take your insultingly abusive job listing and shove it right the gently caress up your fat loving rear end, companies.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

I wish I had kept track of the number of jobs I've applied for for things like software QA or SQL database admin work with tons of mandatory over-the-top candidate requirements only to get told the job pays between $14-18 hourly.

Take your insultingly abusive job listing and shove it right the gently caress up your fat loving rear end, companies.

I wish I'd kept track of the 100-hour weeks I racked up in my first brewing job being paid salary, and averaged it out to what my effective pay rate really was.

On second thought, I really don't.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Catastrophe posted:

It's gross and disgusting. In my job search I applied for two director level positions that both ended up offering exempt positions that paid around $35k/year, which is would be under $17/hr if they were strictly 40 hours a week. In a city where that wouldn't even qualify you for income verification to rent the cheapest studio apartment in town.

Entry-level/unskilled office work positions in my city are currently offering more pay (most of them around $25/hr) than lots of mid-level or even high-level tech positions so I ended up just taking one of those that pays enough to work my way through school, and now I'm going back to school. Literally all I do is sit in an office scheduling service tech visits and I get paid significantly more than I would running an entire department.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 29, 2024

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Another dumb work thing I remembered: Pushing out "completely anonymous" employee surveys that they urged us to be 100% honest on.... because they were anonymous. Completely anonymous, my eye. I saw a bunch of incidents of employees getting punished or fired due to what they honestly put in their surveys and then HR or their managers figuring out who submitted it. They'd quote surveys that said like "A fun, fast-paced work environment where I get to learn!" in their marketing while "My boss regularly makes me work through the night and all I get the next day is more insults for not doing enough work" gets the person pulled into Meeting Room #11 with HR reps.

edit: again, why one of the more recent company reviews of that place on GlassDoor is "don't walk. run away."

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah, that’s a trap every time. HR will not keep your secrets.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wash bucket posted:

Oh yeah, that’s a trap every time. HR will not keep your secrets.

yeah thats the IT departments job.

unless you piss them off in which case lol.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I learned my lesson with "anonymous surveys" when I was once very honest about how little work my colleagues did compared to me, and then somehow screenshots of my comments about them got sent to my colleagues and then I got in trouble for "bringing negativity to the team" when those screenshots upset them.

I wasn't even narcing on people for just not working super hard, it was a 6 person team and I was handling over 80% of our tickets while the rest of them sat around playing yugioh

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 29, 2024

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I once got fired from a factory job literally two days after "anonymous" employee surveys were collected, where I mentioned management being completely incapable of reasonable scheduling and task delegation, and bringing personal relationship issues onto the factory floor (two of the shift managers were having an ugly falling out after sleeping with each other). Don't EVER assume they're anonymous, HR will always use them to stick it to you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Has some need managed to flood HR departments with thousands of AI generated job applications? Maybe if hiring people cost more money HR companies would spend more retaining staff.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
they kinda beat you there in reverse with the AI job HR screeners but i mean cool fight fire with fire, though as an IT person eh you might be crossing some legal boundaries that could get you in trouble

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Technology has ruined any semblance of having a nice job. I sit here listening to all the old people who had their own case load and the only computer they had to deal with was an old rear end ms dos program that you data entried stuff into. Now they monitor every little loving thing and I’m very angry at the boomers for ruining every facet of work life.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

deep dish peat moss posted:

I learned my lesson with "anonymous surveys" when I was once very honest about how little work my colleagues did compared to me, and then somehow screenshots of my comments about them got sent to my colleagues and then I got in trouble for "bringing negativity to the team" when those screenshots upset them.

I wasn't even narcing on people for just not working super hard, it was a 6 person team and I was handling over 80% of our tickets while the rest of them sat around playing yugioh

Those surveys, if they aren’t designed to give someone a reason to let people go, are busywork for HR that gives them something to point to when they’re asked what the gently caress they’ve been doing all year, so naturally they get very mad when it results in them having to do actual work.

Outrail posted:

Has some need managed to flood HR departments with thousands of AI generated job applications? Maybe if hiring people cost more money HR companies would spend more retaining staff.

It costs plenty as is, both with “real” costs and opportunity cost. A lot of retention issues comes down to people needing to have complete and utter control of their petty little fiefdoms, so they willing cut off noses to spite faces.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

I remember at a job at a company back in Wisconsin, around 2005, the CIO's laptop died and we had to build a new one for him. After he got it, he came right back to us and told us to install AOL on it for him. We all kind of chuckled because it wasn't 1997 anymore and the guy got all mad and tried to convince us all that it's one of the largest online communities and why wouldn't he want to continue to be a part of that, etc etc. The CIO... desperately clinging onto AOL and thinking the rest of us were dumb for not doing the same. I never trusted his opinions on tech being implemented in that medical complex after that. He'd probably want to stick with iron lungs and bloodletting.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Catastrophe posted:

I remember at a job at a company back in Wisconsin, around 2005, the CIO's laptop died and we had to build a new one for him. After he got it, he came right back to us and told us to install AOL on it for him. We all kind of chuckled because it wasn't 1997 anymore and the guy got all mad and tried to convince us all that it's one of the largest online communities and why wouldn't he want to continue to be a part of that, etc etc. The CIO... desperately clinging onto AOL and thinking the rest of us were dumb for not doing the same. I never trusted his opinions on tech being implemented in that medical complex after that. He'd probably want to stick with iron lungs and bloodletting.

"Look at this fool clinging to his dead gay online forums", I say with not a shred of irony.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Computer viking posted:

"Look at this fool clinging to his dead gay online forums", I say with not a shred of irony.

That's different.

'cuz reasons...

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Freaquency posted:

Those surveys, if they aren’t designed to give someone a reason to let people go, are busywork for HR that gives them something to point to when they’re asked what the gently caress they’ve been doing all year, so naturally they get very mad when it results in them having to do actual work.

Not HR survey, but a month or so ago I actually responded to one of those vendor emails "Your opinion is important to us" blasts. Because I was in a foul mood specifically because this ancient broken-rear end software is more broken since its 2023 update. I'm not a programmer. But if I have to write scripts to distribute to my team, so that we can fix your input format to work in your own software? gently caress that for $2000/yr/seat. The roll-back was to a 2015 version that I can't tell is any different functionally from the 2005 version.

I got a follow-up request for a Teams chat with a technical lead. I don't want to wreck their day and I'll be polite. But I'm curious how it'll do. Don't ask questions to which you don't want answers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Catastrophe posted:

CIO, AOL and medical complex. hope you got out pal

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Freaquency posted:

It costs plenty as is, both with “real” costs and opportunity cost. A lot of retention issues comes down to people needing to have complete and utter control of their petty little fiefdoms, so they willing cut off noses to spite faces.

It needs to cost them more than retaining staff and at the moment that isn't the case.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

At my MegaCorp learned that if you arrive later in the day after an appointment the main entrance to the garage puts down a barrier. Ok makes sense but this barrier does not lift when approached & there’s no attendant or sign saying what to do, so got to backup awkwardly on a narrow road not meant for that, then circled the building until I found the one entrance still open.

I understand limiting access when most employees have arrived but dang it gotta communicate that in some way.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol HR surveys were always great for me because they expected you to put in demographic info and I was literally the only women in my department.

so i'd either mark myself as male in the form and speak honestly or i'd honestly mark gender and just be like yeah everything is loving fine.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

lol HR surveys were always great for me because they expected you to put in demographic info and I was literally the only women in my department.

so i'd either mark myself as male in the form and speak honestly or i'd honestly mark gender and just be like yeah everything is loving fine.

I enjoy when the survey has a unique id link, gender, and "job title" questions so you know exactly what's going on

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

satanic splash-back posted:

I enjoy when the survey has a unique id link, gender, and "job title" questions so you know exactly what's going on

I worked in IT so i've also seen literally everyones answers when HR poorly tried to do their survey in sharepoint and didnt pick any of the data stripping options, either on purpose or because they were stupid. who knows. But I had super user in sharepoint so.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what's the point of a survey that doesn't give you the answers you wanted to hear, anyways?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I remember working for a company that did employee satisfaction surveys and any time our team had low numbers we got put in a conference room and told to come up with a long term plan to get our numbers up.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some of my regular translation work is employee surveys on compliance in the workplace (harassment, overtime, paid leave).

The survey company totally promises that responses will be aggregated and anonymized before analysis. Yes, the login info is the employee's company code + personal id number, and the password is the employee's birthday.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, whatever, put my name on the anonymous survey. I'm only putting in all the stuff I've been complaining to my boss about all year.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Came into the office today to find my desk occupied by some minor C-level who is universally regarded as incompetent, and it made me fly into a wholly unexpected (inner) rage. I think I may need to some time off.

We have flexible seating, yes, but it's "flexible" in that everyone flexes to the same desk every day for the past 3 years. So I can't really ask him to move, and now I'm stuck working on spreadsheets and slide decks on my laptop screen because the three other available desks have no docks or no cables (like, at all) because the department downstairs can't be bothered to order their own from IT and just steal ours.

Ugh. And I only came into the office today because I have my yearly performance review. It's going to go well, but goddamn did this give me a surprisingly lovely start to the day - I had no idea I was that attached to my desk :tizzy:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Coming in to the office and finding out someone stole your desk is just another opportunity for collaboration and team building. 🤗

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mzuri posted:

Ugh. And I only came into the office today because I have my yearly performance review. It's going to go well, but goddamn did this give me a surprisingly lovely start to the day - I had no idea I was that attached to my desk :tizzy:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck flexible seating. People need their own work space. You need a place where you can move in a bit, know that if you leave some personal item in a drawer it will probably be there next week, and just generally settle in and make it comfortable to your own little work flow. My wife and I swapped desks in our WFH setup last year because she had some medical poo poo going on that just wasn't doable with her desk. It took me a week to get properly settled in, and even then it was so loving nice to be back at my real desk a month later.