Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PuttyKnife posted:

Random rear end question but does anyone know of a cube list for Garfield’s Battletech CCG?

Or Overpower?

Poke around boardgamegeek, I remember a few posts on their forums about battletech cubes a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Gynovore posted:

I really, really don't think anyone is playing this nowadays. At all.

No poo poo.

Guess i'm making my own for this one too.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

PuttyKnife posted:

So, there's something weird that is happening with a couple old TSR collectible games.

Spellfire is a weird game in the collectible card game realm. TSR saw Magic making tons of money and all the clones and said, "We can do a CCG without copying magic." It's kind of an interesting game for that reason. But then WOTC bought TSR and that game disappeared.

That is, until someone bought the mechanics and began to reprint it as a sort of crypto front: https://spellfire.com/

I am interested in the reprint and i'm interested in this sort of hybrid digital/physical game but for the life of me I cannot get past the crypto/NFT poo poo. It sends so many red flags and the discord server is almost always talking about the crypto over the game.

This isn't too abnormal but then the other TSR collectible game is also still in print: Dragon Dice.

I was in a shop in Boston back in like 2017 or so and was meeting a friend who was on my dissertation committee. I look down and I see a bunch of starters and boosters of Dragon Dice. However, rather than their being old kickers and starters, it's got a weird brand on the cover and the art is totally different. It's some company called SFR: https://www.dragondice.com/dragondice.php.

The nice thing about this reprint is that all of the new dice and all of the old dice are compatible. They can do this because there's no copyrightable text or art on the dice themselves and they could just reprint or re-issue those things like the battlefields that might have had art.

They've also ran some kickstarters: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sfr/dragon-dice-frostwings-reprint

These are two games I loved back in the 90s that are seemingly being reprinted and replayed. I know Jyhad / Vampire also got a reprint but are there any other old forgotten CCGs that got reprinted?

Last October a curiosity Google about the Highlander CCG and other still in production 90s CCGs took me down a rabbit hole of looking into Dragon Dice. I watched a tutorial, read the rulebook and legitimately got excited when I realised the Dragon Dice stands at Gencon weren’t old stock they were burning off but instead a still in production game.

I ordered some stuff from the SFR store, played some games and I got hooked. I’ve gotten a bunch of armies at this point even if I have to mail order everything from the states.

Played a good thirty games with different people, just about everyone who plays enjoys it. I absolutely see why it failed as CCG with the decisions made, but it’s a fast playing wargame with a strong tactical element which tears down and sets up in minutes. It’s got a lot of smart design decisions and yes the booster pack model would no doubt drive a lot of people off, but for a collectible game, it’s bizarrely gotten relatively cheaper over time.

Having a blast playing it, going to drag it to a convention next week and teach some new people to play.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

HidaO-Win posted:

Last October a curiosity Google about the Highlander CCG and other still in production 90s CCGs took me down a rabbit hole of looking into Dragon Dice. I watched a tutorial, read the rulebook and legitimately got excited when I realised the Dragon Dice stands at Gencon weren’t old stock they were burning off but instead a still in production game.

Having a blast playing it, going to drag it to a convention next week and teach some new people to play.

Yeah. I really enjoy it and it’s wild hearing the dice drop during a tournament. I’ve got such a giant collection now that I can prolly field 8 players myself.

It’s part of my collection of cubes and I really need to start forming groups.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Midjack posted:

Poke around boardgamegeek, I remember a few posts on their forums about battletech cubes a few years ago.

Thanks so much for the obvious answer I couldn’t think of. Honestly forgot to just add bgg to cube searches.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2586339/attempt-battletech-ccg-cube

Looks like I’ll have a decent outline to start.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

I ordered some stuff from the SFR store, played some games and I got hooked. I’ve gotten a bunch of armies at this point even if I have to mail order everything from the states.

Played a good thirty games with different people, just about everyone who plays enjoys it. I absolutely see why it failed as CCG with the decisions made, but it’s a fast playing wargame with a strong tactical element which tears down and sets up in minutes. It’s got a lot of smart design decisions and yes the booster pack model would no doubt drive a lot of people off, but for a collectible game, it’s bizarrely gotten relatively cheaper over time.

How much Dragon Dice stuff would I need to buy from there? Do I just need a kicker for an army or do I need multiple ones to get a "complete" army?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Randalor posted:

How much Dragon Dice stuff would I need to buy from there? Do I just need a kicker for an army or do I need multiple ones to get a "complete" army?

The awful app just lost my response to this which was long and detailed. Gonna go out and scream into a storm, then be right back.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Randalor posted:

There’s a neat 2 person starter you can get. After that, you can build armies and things based on the races you’re interested in.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Randalor posted:

So each kicker has 8 random dice. 4 one health units, 2 two health units, 1 three health unit and 1 four health monster. Each health counts as one point in army building and the usual sizes for an army are 24/30/36 points with 36 being the most common. With 2 kickers, 2 terrain dice and 2 dragons you can build a legal 30 point army.

SFR sell a 45 dollar two player starter with 2 Firewalker kickers, 2 Treefolk kickers and all the terrain and dragons you need. I've played the 2 kicker starter, it gives solid CCG starter play. You get an idea of how the game flows and how it is played.

Shipping to Ireland was 60 dollars, wasn't worth just buying a single starter, so instead I bought a couple of two player starters that amounted in total to 4 kickers of 4 species. Species are mix and match as you like, but some mechanics like magic get a bit more complex if you start playing with a mixed force. So initially we only played with mono species armies.
In four kickers, I got a playable 36 point army for each species with options to change stuff out. However some things were at the mercy of the pool you got. For example I got no magic units for my Firewalkers but 3 of the 3 health Mammoth Rider Cavalry Unit for Dwarves. Four kickers is a bit like draft play in some ways. You kind of play with what you get.

We played a bunch, dug it and when I ordered again I got 12 kicker boxes of three different species. With that I got near a playset of each species from which I could build pretty much any force I wanted, again with some RNG wobbles.

There are single sellers still out there and job lots on ebay, but some starters from their webstore, shipping allowing are a solid deal.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

And is Daemon Dice any different, or is it cross compatible?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hello. I am now interested in Demon Dice and Dragon Dice.

Edit: To add to the thread theme here is a picture of some characters and cards from the dead (I believe) CCG Arcadia.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 27, 2024

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hello. I am now interested in Demon Dice and Dragon Dice.

Edit: To add to the thread theme here is a picture of some characters and cards from the dead (I believe) CCG Arcadia.

I really enjoyed that game and have a set of the base and expansion. I can’t get folks interested in old games anymore.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I got a whole box of Shadowfist from my childhood comic shop when I went home last weekend! Having always been a big Feng Shui fan, I've always wanted some Shadowfist cards. Man I wish I could play this.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I got a whole box of Shadowfist from my childhood comic shop when I went home last weekend! Having always been a big Feng Shui fan, I've always wanted some Shadowfist cards. Man I wish I could play this.

Oh, man, Jyhad might be technically better but Shadowfist is my absolute favorite four-person card game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Nice.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hell yeah. Make an LCG box out of it. Make four decks tuned to the same level, and teach three of your buds like it's a conventional game. If you have a few friends that are willing to learn a board game, you can get them to learn a dead CCG as an LCG.

The deckbuilder in me likes LCG boxes because that gives me an outlet to tinker with the balance of the decks against each other. But I'm a sicko. Most of my friends just like playing the drat games.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Yeah, I got into Shadowfist as a Feng Shui fan and managed to get in a good amount of play during the Z-Man era. I think it’s probably the CCG I’ve played most, since I managed to avoid getting into Magic. I had a looooot of good times with that game. I believe Inner Kingdom tried turning it into a LCG but I don’t think it worked out.

One thing I need to get around to someday is drawing a hand of Fist cards and running a Feng Shui adventure based on that.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Is it feasible to play 1v1 Shadowfist, or is it very much a game that requires 3-4 players?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Is it feasible to play 1v1 Shadowfist, or is it very much a game that requires 3-4 players?

No, it's fine 1v1. Better than Jyhad is, certainly, it's just you don't quite get the thrill of having, say, the Architects of the Flesh card Neutron Bomb wiping out four players' worth of characters.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Crossposting:

A local radio station is having my work make a 50 card deck to send out to some donors. The worst case scenario are trivia question & answer cards, but we've sold them on and they seem excited about us making a better game out of them.

My initial pitch was like a shared deck card battle like MtG/has with the point to reach X listeners instead of lose X health. No lands, just 4 units of energy per turn for each letter in the call sign/station name. Then each turn it'll rotate morning/day/night and some cards are more effective during a time period. Was thinking the permanents might be different radio programs that up your listener count while on the board, with other cards to interact with them in various ways. Sort of like planning radio schedules with programs and assigning DJs to them to progressively amass listeners on some conditions.

I'm just wondering if any professionals out there have already made fun 50 card shared deck card games that work on their own and aren't like, poker type card games or just a big number printed on cards. The main thing will ultimately just be having 50 fun artworks themed to this station and the local music community, but we've got a few card game likers here and we'd like to make something playable if we can.

I haven't personally played a game like I'm imagining, and a lot of the smaller deck games I've seen tend to be expansion type things for a deck builder of sorts, while ours has so few cards possible I'm not considering a deck building element.

Just wondering if anyone has played any standalone shared deck type duel card games before that they thought were interesting. Or maybe they were bad but playable, I just don't know exactly what I'm looking for in an example or inspiration.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It is playable but I don't think it's good. It gets real steamrollery. Imagine if you could steal your opponent's lands in MTG by attacking with creatures and how that could rapidly tip the scales out of competitiveness. Of course, I am in the minority and think the game is best at 3. 4 is okay but too long for me, but that is apparently what most people play.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

It is playable but I don't think it's good. It gets real steamrollery. Imagine if you could steal your opponent's lands in MTG by attacking with creatures and how that could rapidly tip the scales out of competitiveness. Of course, I am in the minority and think the game is best at 3. 4 is okay but too long for me, but that is apparently what most people play.

Yeah, the big logistical downside of Fist is that the alternative-Power cards (Pocket Demon, etc) are basically mandatory parts of a deck. Certainly in 1v1, and definitely doesn’t hurt in multi. Thankfully I think all/most of the constructed decks had them, but building decks out of just the Daedalus-era cards could hurt.

(similarly, Inauspicious Reburial is pretty much the most busted card in the game, especially in dueling, because you can just destroy someone’s foundation characters and basically entirely deny them the ability to play more cards going forward).

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
looks like metazoo is shutting down for good. good riddance. hope this means all the other collectors-first games are gonna shutter as well

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

looks like metazoo is shutting down for good. good riddance. hope this means all the other collectors-first games are gonna shutter as well

I'm wondering if someone is going to get their legs broken with a Hello Kitty baseball bat.

Apparently the bottom fell out of the game's value late last year and the next set got delayed and preorders were canceled. This was after they owed tournament winners around $50k and shut down their discord. They've closed down all their social media but the thing that seems to have pushed down the house of cards was being so brazen to call a product/service, PokeZoo. This is a game that ripped off Ken Sugimori art from the start too so I'm sure the Pokemon Company was watching for the right moment to get their asses. On top of that they are alleged to owe money to Sanrio for the collab they did. Some vendors had been dumping their stock, apparently they were on clearance at TCGPlayer or something, and I'm curious if investment bro losers like Rudy were actually surprised this happened and didn't secretly dump their stock while pumping it. Rudy was doing a fair deal of pumping so I wouldn't be surprised if he unfortunately fleeced some rubes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was it actually any decent as a card game? Now that it's dropping in price, if it's any decent I might pick up some to make decks out of to take to cons.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lmao, glad I cracked the blister pack I got out of curiosity forever ago. Wasn't worth it and I foresee myself recycling the cards later when I need space in the binder. And to answer the hanging question, I'm not sure there are enough players of Metazoo to get an accurate read on whether the game itself was any good. The environment thing was an... inspired choice but didn't they just wind up printing cards that let you change what your surrounding environment was to benefit your deck?

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Randalor posted:

Was it actually any decent as a card game? Now that it's dropping in price, if it's any decent I might pick up some to make decks out of to take to cons.

I haven’t played it, only read the rules and some of the cards, but my impression is it’s about 60% MTG Un-set, 30% Pokemon, and 10% YGO. So, i guess it largely boils down to whether a cryptid themed Magic Un-set with like 20 mana types and some wildly varying art quality sounds appealing to you. I will probably pick some up on clearance since my main card playing partner is my nephew who is obsessed with Mothman et al

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I have a big OG (as in, not the LCG) Doomtown collection. Never played competitively, but my gaming group in high school and college loved it, I still play it on occasion with one buddy who also held on to his collection. Any interest in an effortpost on the game? I'm a little sheepish about it because there's definitely some questionable racial stuff in there (a "Native American" faction and a pirate faction that is mostly East Asian folks), but the game is fuckin' rad and has my all-time favorite card game mechanic: using hands of poker to resolve conflicts (specifically, turn order and shootouts).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Judgy Fucker posted:

I have a big OG (as in, not the LCG) Doomtown collection. Never played competitively, but my gaming group in high school and college loved it, I still play it on occasion with one buddy who also held on to his collection. Any interest in an effortpost on the game? I'm a little sheepish about it because there's definitely some questionable racial stuff in there (a "Native American" faction and a pirate faction that is mostly East Asian folks), but the game is fuckin' rad and has my all-time favorite card game mechanic: using hands of poker to resolve conflicts (specifically, turn order and shootouts).

Most of us are probably aware of Doomtown's social shortcomings - the RPG just recently tried to take some faltering steps to fix it - so go ahead.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At the card game avoided some of the RPG's worst decisions, like Jefferson Davis being a hero that actually wanted to free the slaves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At the card game avoided some of the RPG's worst decisions, like Jefferson Davis being a hero that actually wanted to free the slaves.

You still have stuff like one character amounts to a Black Confederate, though, although technically he's a Texas Ranger (who were still slave catchers). Deadland's CSA freed the slaves though so it's fine, it's all fine, we're all fine here, now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

1996 was a hell of drug.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No Jefferson Davis card, and he's not referenced anywhere on flavor text. There is undead Abe Lincoln, though!

Can confirm at least one Black Texas Ranger.

I'll get a post written up tonight or Friday.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Please, please write a post about the game because I read that card and... what? What?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Randalor posted:

Please, please write a post about the game because I read that card and... what? What?

Preview of post:

"Boot"="tap" in Magic, "bow" in L5R

"Aced"=killed (he's undead, so hard to put down :clint:)

"Pull"=revealing the top card of your deck and looking at the poker card value (sometimes color or suit) to resolve something, ala "drawing destiny" from the Decipher Star Wars CCG

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Can we get the thread title updated to “The Ghost goes home without booting unless his harrowed pull includes an ace”?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's a powerful ability. Abe is a Pinkerton so when he does go home he can still boot to threaten a youtuber with jail time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's a powerful ability. Abe is a Pinkerton so when he does go home he can still boot to threaten a youtuber with jail time.

I forget if by this time they'd replaced the Pinkertons with the Agency but it's fun they found a Union organization as bad as the Rangers for their 'deal with supernatural stuff' groups.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I would love to see a Doomtown effortpost. I liked the few times I played it back in the day, but I am nowhere close to knowledgeable enough to do it justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The original Doomtown CCG

Doomtown was a CCG in print from 1998 to 2001 based off the Deadlands RPG. Deadlands is a steampunk horror game, and Gomorra--the titular "Doomtown" of the CCG--is a locus of activity in the Weird West.

Welcome to the Weird West!
The year is 1877, but the history is not our own. The Civil War grinds on. A huge earthquake has sunk California into the sea and formed a labyrinth of sea-canyons known as the Great Maze. The Sioux have retaken the Dakotas. The Coyote Confederation dances the Ghost Dance on the high plains. Monsters stalk the deserts and prowl the dark streets of the boomtowns. And the dead walk among us.

This is the world of Doomtown. In 1863, Raven, an American Indian shaman, released the manitous—centuries imprisoned demons—and a flood of supernatural energy. This awakened the Reckoners, mysterious beings that create deadlands on Earth—areas where humanity’s terror is so great it warps the land. The manitous and other monsters that roam the Weird West create fear for the Reckoners, though to what sinister end the Reckoners work has yet to be revealed.

But where there are monsters, so there are heroes—hex-slingin’ hucksters, Bible-thumpin’ preachers, deadly gunfighters, fearless American Indians, wizened shamans, and mad scientists armed with weird steampunk gadgets. Gomorra, called "Doomtown," needs such heroes. A huge vein of the superfuel known as ghost rock was struck in the Maze there, turning it into a boomtown. Miners search the caverns or chip at the faces of the Maze’s towering mesas. After them come bartenders and soiled doves, outlaws and law dogs, politicians and other hard-bitten folk, all desperate to fleece the miners of the rock they spend their days scratching out of the unforgiving canyon walls.

So yeah, some :yikes: poo poo in the setting, but I was too privileged and ignorant to know when I was younger. Anyway, on to the game:

General overview
In Doomtown, you and your opponent(s) are attempting to simultaneously build and take control of Gomorra. Each player's "street" (their side of the board/gaming space) starts with their home, an abstraction that is usually represented by their outfit card:

Your outfit determines your faction (represented by the icon in the top-right and the background), your starting ghost rock (the money bag), and production (the glowing lump of ghost rock), how much ghost rock it produces per round.

However, to grow the town, you need deeds:

Deeds are purchased with ghost rock (their cost is the coin in the bottom-left), the currency resource of the game. They are put into play along your street--at first adjacent to your home on either side, then adjacent to other deeds as your street grows. Strikes are considered out-of-town--they are placed a little further away from your in-town locations, and represent mines that are, well, out-of-town and thus harder to get to. Like the outfit cards, two of the deeds above have the ghost rock icon with a plus sign; most deeds have production, netting you ghost rock each round. Some deeds, however, have upkeep--notice Lord Grimley's Manor doesn't have the plus sign, it costs ghost rock to keep in play each round. You'll also notice the blue poker chip on two of the deeds: those are control points, which is the primary resource players are fighting over in the game.

Of course, you need people to fight over (or protect) those deeds. Those would be your dudes:

Like deeds, dudes have ghost rock cost (found in the same location), but opposite of deeds many dudes have upkeep (only 3 dudes ever printed had production). Dudes have red poker chips; those represent influence, which determines 1) who controls a deed (the player with the most influence, owner breaks tie), 2) which player gets their hand size increased by one the following turn (the player with the most total influence on the board), and most importantly 3) the number of control points an opponent must have to win the game. I'll get to the specifics of the win condition below.

There's also the bullets--those are the dude's bullet ratings, which indicate how good they are at shootin'. You might notice that Charlie Landers not only has a 0 bullet rating, but his bullet is also copper--he's known as a draw, while Templeton's and Black Jack's silver bullets make them studs. Generally speaking, studs are better than draws when it comes to shootin', though that determination is not absolute, see shootin' below.

Dudes got stuff with 'em, too. There are goods and spells:

Goods are items your dudes can equip. Weapons and bullets to better kill ace dudes, horses to better get around town, etc. Gadgets like the Auto-Incendiary Bullets are special goods that can only be built by mad scientists, a keyword trait you'll find on some dudes. However, being mad scientists experimenting with unstable ghost rock, not all gadgets are successful; mad scientists have to boot to make them (identical to tapping in M:TG or bowing in L5R), and also have to pull by revealing the top card of your deck and looking at the poker value. If the pull plus your mad scientist's rating exceeds the gadget difficulty, it works! If not, it doesn't and the gadget gets discarded. Womp womp.

Spells, like goods, are equipped to your dudes who can cast them. There are three kinds of spells: spirits cast by shamans, hexes cast by hucksters, and miracles cast by blesseds. All three of those are also keyword traits you'll find on some dudes. Like gadgets, spells aren't automatic--each spellcaster also has a rating, and you have to pull to resolve the spell, for good or ill.

As an aside, spells are very powerful in Doomtown, as almost all of them cost zero ghost rock to put into play, and if you build your deck right are usually fairly trivial to successfully cast.

Sometimes, poo poo happens in Gomorra. Events represent notable things going on in town:

Unlike all the above cards excepting outfits, you don't play events from your hand. At the beginning of each round is the lowball phase, where each player sets aside their hand of cards, antes one ghost rock and draws the top five cards of their deck. The player with the *lowest* poker hand wins the pot of ghost rock and takes the first turn of the round. Then, in player order, each player resolves one event they drew in their lowball hand, selecting randomly if more than one is drawn. Events are discarded unless otherwise noted, such as Samhain or Eureka! above. When a card (not just dudes!) is aced, it goes to boot hill, which is the more-permanent "graveyard" zone. Discarded cards are cycled back into your deck fairly quickly, aced cards never are except with specific and uncommon card effects. The final part of the phase is collecting production and paying upkeep on your cards.

After the lowball phase is the noon phase, where players take turns taking noon actions. There's four noon actions you can take: movin', callin' out, using a noon action printed on a card, or playing a card from your hand, whether it be dudes, deeds, goods, spells, improvements or action cards:

Improvements are like goods for deeds. With very few, niche exceptions they are all bad. Don't put improvements in your deck.

Action cards, on the other hand, can be quite good and your deck will have several of them. Some are noon actions (Bad Tequila, Stoker versus Knicknevin) where you play the card, resolve it, then put it in your discard pile. Others are reactions, which you play in response to a specific trigger. Jackelope Stampede is also an example of a cheatin'! card, but I'll also save cheatin'! for below.

If you have no actions to take or do not wish to take, you can pass. Passing does not prevent you from taking subsequent actions; you can pass, then after an opponent's action, you can take an action. However, if every player passes in succession, the noon phase ends and it's nightfall. Nightfall is the "clean-up" phase where the victory condition is checked. If no one has won, then you determine which player has the most influence in play. Players may reconcile their hands by discarding any events and any one card they have, then drawing back up to five, or six if you are the player with the most influence. Finally, unboot anything that's been booted that round. "End of turn"-style effects are always stated as "until after nightfall." Once nightfall is over, it's time for a new round and another lowball phase.

Objective
The goal of the game is to have more control/victory points than the *one* opponent who has the most influence in play at the beginning of nightfall--note that it's not total influence for all opponents. Victory points are referenced on some cards and count as control points for victory purposes.

There's two things you can do to advance your position: increase how many control or victory points you have and reduce how much influence your opponent(s) have. You can increase your control points by playing deeds with them as you control the deed by default as the owner with no influence present, or you can move your dudes to an opponent's deed and take control of it. You don't collect production on deeds you control but don't own, but you do count their control points. Of course, your opponent is probably going to send their dudes over to the deed to regain control of it, which means shootin' might be necessary (which, incidentally, is how you lower your opponent's influence).

Shootin'
Unbooted dudes can call out any opponent's dude except at their home as a noon action. There are also some card effects that allow dudes to start shootouts, and all such cards ignore the home rule. I always love walking into someone else's house and blowing them away.

Unbooted dudes can chicken out by going home booted regardless of where they are. Booted dudes cannot chicken out, a key point in the positional strategy of the game.

The rules regarding forming posses is complicated and I'm gonna skip it. Just know that a posse is all the dudes in your side of the shootout regardless of how many dudes you have (eg a posse can be one dude). Players can take shootout actions in player order just like noon actions. Once both players pass, it's time to draw! Each player sets aside their hand of cards and draws 5 plus some number of cards from their deck and play a game of poker to resolve the shootout--this time, you're playing highball. You pick a lead shooter; if they are a draw, you can discard and redraw up to that many of the cards you initially drew. If they are a stud, you instead simply draw that many extra cards in addition to the base five--no discard needed. For each other dude in your posse that's a draw you may discard and redraw one card regardless of their bullet rating, and for each other stud you draw and keep one card regardless of their bullet rating. For example, if the three dudes I linked above were in a shootout (and ignoring everyone's text), Black Jack would be the best lead shooter since he's a 5-stud. Templeton give one extra card, and Charlie Landers lets me discard and redraw up to one card: in total with the base five, my shootout draw is "11, draw 1." After any discards and redraws are done, you cull your cards to the best five-card Poker hand you can. Doomtown follows the following Poker hands, in ascending rank:
  • High card
  • Pair
  • Two pair
  • Three of a kind
  • Straight
  • Flush
  • Full House
  • Four of a Kind
  • Straight flush
  • Five of a Kind
  • Dead Man's Hand, with the kicker as the Jack of Diamonds for some reason.

The player with the lower hand rank aces a number of their dudes equal to the difference. For example, if player A draws two pair but player B draws a Straight, player A aces two of their dudes and send them to boot hill. Hands of the same rank means both players ace a dude. Each player then decides whether to continue the shootout or chicken out. If it continues, you play another round of actions, draw!, and so on until one posse is dead or gone home scurred.

Cheatin'!
What the gently caress kind of hand is a five of a kind? In Doomtown, the only two deckbuilding restrictions are 52 card decks and no more than four copies of a card in your deck. Between playing multiples of certain cards (action cards, goods, spells, and some events notably) and in many circumstances *wanting* to have multiple cards with the same suit and/or value, it's not only possible but common to "cheat" when resolving lowball or shootouts by having more than one card that is the same suit and value. There's nothing inherent to cheatin'! that's damaging, other than it's a trigger for cheatin'! action cards (like Jackelope Stampede above), which can be really loving bad. Some cheatin' cards can really just gently caress you. Jackelope Stampede is one of those cards. Cheatin'! is also a good way to win a shootout. You feelin' lucky, punk?

Factions
There's 11 factions in the game. Most factions have three outfits you can choose from, and there's a dual Agency-Rangers outfit that's fun. There's also drifters, dudes with no faction. Charlie Landers above is a drifter. You can play dudes from any faction, but the upkeep of any other-faction dudes you have in play is increased by the dude's influence.

Law Dogs. Ostensibly the keepers of peace and justice, but like in real life a lot of fuckers in this outfit.

Blackjacks, the outlaw gang lead by a guy named Black Jack. Imaginative. They tend to get wanted a lot--when a dude is wanted, you put a ghost rock token on them. Any player that aces that dude gets the ghost rock bounty. In and of itself that's not any real boon, but there's some ways to totally gently caress wanted dudes, so being wanted is risky, and Law Dogs will probably bury you.

Collegium, the mad scientist faction. They want ghost rock to power their krazy kontraptions.

The Agency, the Union faction. They're in Gomorra to investigate, hunt down, and eliminate abominations, terrors, and other unnatural nasties.

Texas Rangers, the Confederate faction. Like their Union counterparts, they're in Gomorra to deal with the horrors of the Weird West, but have a more cavalier attitude toward them: "shoot it or recruit it." They feature more terrors in their faction than the Agency.

Sweetrock, the biggest mining company in town. They suck poo poo at shootin', but have all kinds of strike mojo. They're one of the more powerful factions in the game.

The Maze Rats, pirates who lurk in the Great Maze. Most dudes are East Asian-ish in origin. Mobility is their schtick, and it's a good one, probably a top 3 faction all-around. A few hucksters in them, too.

The Sioux Union, a confederation of various Indigenous peoples that have camped outside town, drawn to Gomorra by a prophetic and apocalyptic vision from their leader. Lot of shamans in this faction. Also one of the top factions in the game as one of their outfits combos with a particular action card, *and* they have top-to bottom the best all-around dudes in the game, particularly regarding their cost and upkeep.

The Whateleys, an old money family from back east that is deeply involved with the occult. They are the primary antagonistic faction in the story. Lots of hucksters, abominations, and harrowed dudes.

The Flock, an apocalyptic cult. The blessed faction. They also have dudes for each of the seven deadly sins, and some of them are quite good. They are destroyed in the story after being duped by the Whateleys into summoning Knicknevin, an ultra-powerful manitou. The publishers realized that destroying the blessed faction was mechanically dumb, so they made another one:

Lost Angels. Weird poo poo, blesseds but also hucksters. They were only in two sets so there's barely enough decent dudes to even make a deck with them, though a community-made outfit after the game stopped printing is pretty fun.

Miscellanea
Harrowed dudes

Some dudes are harder to put down fer good. When a harrowed dude is aced, the owner of the dude pulls: if the pull is lower than or equal to the dude's value (the poker value of the card), they go home booted instead of boot hill. If the pull is greater than their value, they are discarded. If the pull is an ace, they been done in fer good and go to boot hill.

Jokers

Jokers are special cards that only resolve when either drawn or pulled, as stated on each one. You can have two jokers in your deck, and they don't count against your deck limit. There's literally no reason to not have two jokers in your deck unless you don't own two, which functionally makes decks 54 cards.

Fear level
The fear level is a value-based game state that has no inherent properties. Some cards do reference the fear level, however, and other cards can raise or lower it. The outfit Whatley's: Extended Family and the deed Lord Grimley's Manor posted above are examples of cards that care about the fear level. It starts at five, and can't be lowered below zero. It has a functional cap of 10, but no true cap, meaning it can be raised to higher than 10 but any cards (like Extended Family) that reference the fear level have their effects capped at 10.

That's basically the game in a nutshell minus movement rules, which are tedious to explain even if they make thematic sense once you learn them. The game has an incredible synthesis of mechanics and flavor, and as mentioned earlier playing poker is such a fun thing to do to resolve conflict. Building your decks intentionally with shooting matrices in mind--including specific quantities of certain suits and values to make it probable to draw certain hands--is interesting. The game is such that you can also build your deck without shootin'! in mind at all, there are some solid turtle strategies available. The deed Lord Grimley's Manor posted above is a fantastic turtling card, particularly for the Whateleys faction. There's also alternate formats you can play; my friend who still plays and I have "bicycle decks" (as in the brand of playing cards), where we can only have one card of each suit + value, functionally making a playable, traditional deck of cards. It's also a fantastic multiplayer game, requiring no extra or special rules.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 2, 2024